Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
sushi? anyone make sushi?

I just made nori rolls with quinoa instead of rice and I filled them with slivered veggies and guacamole and sesame seeds. They were to die for!

But I ate half of one of the rolls (4 generous pieces) and there was 1/2 cup quinoa in that amount. any ideas for reducing the amount of "rice" or quinoa in the rolls and still maintaining their integrity?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I made sushi once with miracle rice and it was really good. Only problem was that it didn't keep. I made enough for two days' lunches, but the second day it was too wet. Guess the miracle rice releases water when it sits. But the sushi was great when it was first made.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I've made Karen Barnaby's recipe for sushi. It uses shrimp, cucumber and mayo as the binder. I also have 5-6 other low cab recipes using either miracle rice, riced cauliflower, cream cheese as the binder, or mashed avocado as the binder. Do any of the recipes interest you?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I've made Karen Barnaby's recipe for sushi. It uses shrimp, cucumber and mayo as the binder. I also have 5-6 other low cab recipes using either miracle rice, riced cauliflower, cream cheese as the binder, or mashed avocado as the binder. Do any of the recipes interest you?
Yes! I would love some of those recipes. I was thinking about cutting the quinoa with cauliflower, but didn't know if it would stick together.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Low Carb Sushi Living Low Carb
1 Nori seaweed sheet
1 cup riced cauliflower, cooked, with soy and sesame oil
1/2 piece of smoked salmon, cut in strips
1 stalk of asparagus, cut in half
OR
1 Nori seaweed sheet
1 cup riced cauliflower, cooked
2 pieces of large cooked shrimp, cut in half
2 slices of cucumber, cut in half
Place the Nori seaweed sheet on a piece of plastic wrap (or a sushi mat). Spread the cauliflower rice over the seaweed leaving a 1" border at each end. Add the toppings to the middle of the cauli-rice. Smoked salmon and asparagus pictured below. Using the plastic wrap or bamboo mat, roll the near end of the seaweed over the filling and continue rolling make sure the roll stays as tight as possible. Seal the end of the roll, but dabbing water on the far end of the seaweed sheet. Using a warm, sharp knife cut the sushi into 1/2" pieces (pictured at the top). Serve with a side of coconut aminos or soy sauce.
Green Bean Sushi Maria
1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed
3 hard-boiled large eggs, quartered
2 TBS mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. grated lime or lemon zest
1/2 TBS fresh lime or lemon juice
1/3 cup minced scallions
15 thin slices ham or prosciutto (about 7 by 3 inches)
Make hard boiled eggs. Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water (1 TBS salt per 2 quarts water), uncovered, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and place into an ice cold water bath to stop cooking. Drain and pat dry. Place the hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, zest, lemon juice, scallions, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt into a food processor and blend until smooth. Place 3 slices prosciutto perpendicular to slats and slightly overlapping to form a large 9- by 7-inch rectangle on a sushi mat with slats running crosswise or a 9-inch square of parchment paper on a work surface. Spread some of the egg mixture evenly across bottom half of prosciutto rectangle. Place the beans on egg side by side and end to end, overlapping ends, in 8 tight rows parallel to slats. Spread another tablespoon of the eggs over beans. Roll up the sushi very tight using the mat. Transfer the roll, seam side down, to a cutting board. Trim the ends and cut crosswise into about 10 (3/4-inch) pieces. Repeat and cut 4 rolls. Turn pieces upright to serve.
Miracle Rice Sushi JessBunny
2 bags of Miracle Rice
3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce or 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Stevia
4 Tablespoons Water
1/2 teaspoon Glucomannan Powder
4 Sheets of Seaweed/Nori
Sushi fillings – I used shrimp and avocado
Rinse rice well and place in a non-stick skillet on medium heat to dry out. While the rice is drying, mix vinegar, soy sauce, water and stevia, stir the mixture with one hand while you slowly add the glucomannan powder (I used a seasoning shaker). Let the mixture set and thicken while the rice finishes drying out, it should be the consistency of honey. When the rice is done drying dump the pan into the bowl with the vinegar mixture and stir it up quickly. Place your seaweed on the bamboo mat with the rough side facing you and put one quarter of the rice mix on the seaweed. Spread the rice out in a thin even layer. It's sticky so be careful while you spread it around, you may want to grease your fingers or the back of a spoon just a little. Place your sushi fillings in a row on the rice and carefully roll up your sushi. Let your rolls sit before you cut them. They keep for a day or two in the fridge if you keep them uncut and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
Sushi LCHF
The rice
500 grams of Cauliflower
75 grams of Butter
1 tbs. Rice vinegar
Filling
1 Avocado
200 grams of Smoked Salmon
160 grams of Cream cheese
4 nori papers
Wasabi
Soy sauce
Grate the cauliflower on a cheese grater. Fry it in the butter for around 10-15 minutes until it's softer and creamy. When the rice is ready add the vinegar to it and blend well, let the rice cool. Cut the salmon and avocado into thinner slices. Wait until the rice is cold to start making the sushi. When that is done you place one of the rice papers on a sushi mat which helps to roll it. Spread the cream cheese on the nori paper - not all over it, leave around 5 centimeters at the top. Put the rice on top of the cream, spread it evenly. The cream cheese makes the rice stick better to the paper. Put the salmon and avocado in the middle of the rice, as seen in picture no 6 above. Make a roll of it all and cut into smaller sushi pieces. Serve with wasabi, soy sauce and ginger.
Paleo Sushi Ancestral Health
4 sheets of nori (roasted seaweed sheets)
5 avocados, mashed
4 eggs, beaten
8oz of smoked salmon
1 large cucumber
1 tablespoon coconut oil (to fry the eggs)
coconut aminos or soy sauce)
Cut the smoked salmon into long strips (1/2 inch wide). Cut the cucumber into long thin strips. Place the coconut oil into a frying pan and add the whisked eggs. Let the eggs flow to fill the pan, forming a large round disk. Cook on low heat for a few minutes on each side, making sure it’s cooked thoroughly. Let the cooked egg cool, then slice into long thin strips. Place a sheet of nori on to the bamboo sushi rolling mat, with the shiny side of the nori down. Spread the mashed avocados onto the nori leaving 1 inch wide of space on one end. Place approx. 2 strips of salmon, 2 strips of eggs. 4 strips of cucumber onto the middle of the nori, making sure the strips are parallel with the bamboo sticks on the rolling mat. Roll the bamboo mat to form the sushi roll. Cut the roll into slices with a sharp knife. Repeat with the other 3 sheets of nori. Serve with some coconut aminos or soy sauce.
Shrimp and Nori Rolls Karen
1 cup small cooked salad shrimp
1 Tbs. mayonnaise
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 nori sheets
1/4 English cucumber, seeded and julienned
1 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
Drain shrimp well. Mix with mayo and onion. Lay 1 Nori sheet down. Place half of the shrimp mixture 1 inch from the edge nearest you. Lay half the cucumber pieces evenly beside the shrimp. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the sesame seeds. Roll tightly. Repeat with other nori sheet. Leave for a few minutes to soften. Cut each roll into 6 pieces.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Soobee, thank you so much for those recipes! I can't wait to try some of them. Think I'll start with the cauli-rice and the Miracle Rice. It's so easy to do, that I could make 2-3 different kinds at a time and compare. Again, thank you!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
did you ever try these out?
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote