Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Christmas cookie exchange...

If you were supposed to go to a Christmas cookie exchange with primarily non-low carbers, what low carb cookies would you make and take? I've made several cookie recipes but haven't found anything that was really good enough to share. I'd love to make something that would really WOW everyone.
(I don't use any of the baking mixes or sweeteners such as molasses or honey or sucralose/Splenda. I use erythritol/stevia)
What would you recommend?

Last edited by Chocolate Rose; 12-03-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Just a thought - if it's primarily non-low carbers, why waste your expensive low carb ingredients on cookies for them? I'd go with a standard high carb recipe, and save the low carb cookies for myself. :-)

That said, I have had really good luck with the low carb cranberry walnut cookie recipe (google it). Really good. It does use whey protein powder, though.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Lauren from Healthy Indulgences has a lot of really good cookie recipes. I have made her gingerbread recipe into cookies, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and honey nut cookies. All are good enough for company.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_last View Post
Just a thought - if it's primarily non-low carbers, why waste your expensive low carb ingredients on cookies for them? I'd go with a standard high carb recipe, and save the low carb cookies for myself. :-)

That said, I have had really good luck with the low carb cranberry walnut cookie recipe (google it). Really good. It does use whey protein powder, though.
I can't have high carb foods, and I know that if I cook with them I will be too tempted to taste them. I don't want an "accident". But, you're right about the cost.
I can't have cranberries, so that I would need to find something to sub. I do use whey protein powder, though.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Lauren from Healthy Indulgences has a lot of really good cookie recipes. I have made her gingerbread recipe into cookies, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and honey nut cookies. All are good enough for company.
Thanks! I have looked at her recipes. She does use ingredients that I can't use (honey, molasses, etc.), but I'll go look again.

I'd love additional suggestions for a really awesome cookie!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
This is a VERY good base dough for adding all sorts of flavor variants. These are chewy and very nice-textured. Best LC cookie I've made to date. I've also made them with pineapple and pecans, chopped dried prunes and another version with dried cherries. This dough is my base cookie dough of choice now.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-cookies.html
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's not strictly cookies, but if I felt obliged to do this I would make tiny loafs of teabread using my flax muffin recipe. I think the pumpkin spice would be great, or maybe a sweet vanilla with chopped cranberries and walnuts in it. decorate the tops with a couple half walnuts.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
This is a VERY good base dough for adding all sorts of flavor variants. These are chewy and very nice-textured. Best LC cookie I've made to date. I've also made them with pineapple and pecans, chopped dried prunes and another version with dried cherries. This dough is my base cookie dough of choice now.

Thanks! I'll have to give these a try. Do you have any lc suggestions for flavors other than using fruit? Maybe they could be drizzled with 90% cacao melted chocolate?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it's not strictly cookies, but if I felt obliged to do this I would make tiny loafs of teabread using my flax muffin recipe. I think the pumpkin spice would be great, or maybe a sweet vanilla with chopped cranberries and walnuts in it. decorate the tops with a couple half walnuts.
This is a possibility. Thanks! Is your flax muffin recipe on the board?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Different extracts could be used, chocolate or citrus-peel frostings would be good on them. I've been planning to try SF chocolate chips or oats in these some time, but haven't done so yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Different extracts could be used, chocolate or citrus-peel frostings would be good on them. I've been planning to try SF chocolate chips or oats in these some time, but haven't done so yet.
Good ideas! Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
The thing I always liked best about cookies was the crisp, crunchy texture. I hated it when store-bought cookies started being these soft chewy things, bragging about tasting homemade. Not like my mother's homemade cookies! Anybody have ideas for making crunchy gingersnaps, chocolate chip cookies, etc?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
LindaSue has a yummy lemon cookie. I add a little lemon juice of lemon powder.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Here are a few recipes that I may do a small batch trial run of this weekend. I'd love to know if anyone has made any of these and what your opinion was of them:

Candice’s Low-Carb Chocolate Mint Cookies (your lighter side)
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies (all day I dream about food)
Cinnamon Sugar Pillow Cookies (I'm going to try subbing almond flour for the four) (chocolate covered katie)
Sarah Bernard Cookies (from another thread here)
Kransekake (Sarah Bernard thread)
Macaroons (I'm not sure which recipe to try, so if anyone has a recommendation please let me know)

I'm also going to try and give the Table Cream Fudge a try. My table cream is in the fridge as we speak.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:

oh man! Thanks Buttoni!
you gave me the idea to come up with a fruit bread cookie recepie!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oooo. That sounds good, Kerry. Please share the recipe with us if you try that.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I tried 3 new-to-me recipes today and am disappointed.

I made the Cinnamon Sugar Pillow Cookies and they were quite good. I subbed almond flour for the wheat flour so they didn't puff up like the original recipe. And, the cream cheese mixture in the middle kind of integrated with the cookie itself. These were very fragile and wouldn't hold up well for a cookie exchange. I'm wondering if subbing coconut flour or whey protein powder might work better? If so, does anyone know what kind of substitution ratio I should use? If I could get this recipe to be lc and not be so fragile, I would be happy with taking it to the cookie exchange. My non-low carbers really liked the taste of these.

I also made the Kransekake. These were just OK. I made 1/3 of the recipe and my non-lcers weren't impressed. I'll try them again tomorrow to be sure that I wasn't just on cookie overload.

I also made Candice's Low Carb Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. Again, these were just OK. They were fine as an everyday kind of cookie, but just not special enough for a cookie exchange.

I'm hoping to try a couple more recipes tomorrow. And, am still open to any suggestions.

Buttoni, I was going to use your almond butter cookie recipe for the cinnamon cookies, but I don't have all the ingredients to make them. I don't use oat fiber or honey, and also don't have glucomannan powder.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I would not bring lowcarb food to people who don't eat this way. The fake sugars and flours we eat don't sit well for some people. It gives them tummy problems, not to mention, what if some of these women feed your cookies to their children, not knowing what is in them. Just bring high carb one's and be done with it.

My son and daughter N law would be pissed if I fed the grandkids fake stuff. The daughter n law can't even eat splenda without tummy upset problems, Sugar Alcohols just about put her in the hospital one time from some cookies I made.

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
I would not bring lowcarb food to people who don't eat this way. The fake sugars and flours we eat don't sit well for some people. It gives them tummy problems, not to mention, what if some of these women feed your cookies to their children, not knowing what is in them. Just bring high carb one's and be done with it.

My son and daughter N law would be pissed if I fed the grandkids fake stuff. The daughter n law can't even eat splenda without tummy upset problems, Sugar Alcohols just about put her in the hospital one time from some cookies I made.

Debbie
Thanks for your warning. But, everyone in my office knows what I eat and are actually willing to give it all a try. I'd really like to find at least one awesome cookie recipe rather than giving in and making/buying something high carb. We've had a couple of other potlucks where I've bought lchf items and they've loved them. I'm on a roll with the items I've brought and I'd llike to keep it going.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I know in the past someone posted a really easy peanutbutter cookie recipe on here that was very simple. if I find I will post
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
on her Facebook page yesterday Dana Carpender linked back to a recipe for chocolate pecan coconut cookie bars. They look pretty darn good.
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
on her Facebook page yesterday Dana Carpender linked back to a recipe for chocolate pecan coconut cookie bars. They look pretty darn good.
Thank you! I don't have facbook, but I did find a recipe with this name on her webpage form 2010. It calls for egg white powder and guar gum. I don't have time to order either of these. I'm thinking I can get the egg white powder at the grocery store, but I don't know where to find guar gum. Any ideas? It also calls for a teaspoon of molasses. I'm hoping I can leave that out. Does this sound like the recipe that you saw?
My cookie cooking trials yesterday were a flop.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Dana's chocolate pecan coconut cookie bars are good. We love them.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Rose I have one that I use to make for cookie exchanges years ago. I'm making them today. I always got really wonderful compliments. I don't eat them anymore but I have friends that never know they are low carb. They will eat them.

I will have pics too. They are pretty and delicious!!!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

LindaSue has a Snickerdoodle recipe that is very good...you can change the sweetener. I use a combo of powdered Erythritol and Stevia or you could use Truvia...tolerated by most. I sometimes use a little Sweet Perfection(very fiber-full). Check out her Lemon Butter cookies, too.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn's Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints are on my Christmas cookie tray this year...yummy!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn is from "the recipe books" and found at "All Day I Dream About Food" and a contributor to this site.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
Thank you! I don't have facbook, but I did find a recipe with this name on her webpage form 2010. It calls for egg white powder and guar gum. I don't have time to order either of these. I'm thinking I can get the egg white powder at the grocery store, but I don't know where to find guar gum. Any ideas? It also calls for a teaspoon of molasses. I'm hoping I can leave that out. Does this sound like the recipe that you saw?
My cookie cooking trials yesterday were a flop.

You can find it the guar gum in the health food section in you grocers
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
My battery went dead so no pics. Tomorrow.

Rose I think Fred Meyers has guar gum and Whole foods.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Rose I have one that I use to make for cookie exchanges years ago. I'm making them today. I always got really wonderful compliments. I don't eat them anymore but I have friends that never know they are low carb. They will eat them.

I will have pics too. They are pretty and delicious!!!!!!
Great! I'd love the recipe!