Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jakryk
DIY Almond Flour?

Has anyone tried making your own almond flour/meal? How did it turn out? Did you use a food processor or a grain mill?

I can get blanched almonds for much less than blanched almond flour costs. If it's possible, making my own flour would be much cheaper.
jakryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
I can buy almond meal at Trader Joe's for $3.99 a lb. I buy my pecans at Costco for a little over $6.00 a pound... It's really easy to grind them into a meal. I like the pecan meal better than the almond. I think it has a richer flavor.
lynnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Since almond flour is somewhat defatted, the best you can accomplish by grinding your own is almond meal.

Until I starting purchasing almond flour from Honeyville, I used a small spice/coffee grinder to grind small batches of sliced almonds. Then rubbed it through a medium mesh strainer to remove larger pieces.

For most recipes, almond meal can be used in place of almond flour, but the finished texture, especially in baked goods, won't be as fine as those made with true almond flour.

To keep your almond meal fresh, freeze it.

HTH
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Many years ago many of us had to make almond meal/flour. If you lived in the boondocks , that was your choice.

Now thank goodness we can purchase many wonderful things we like better.

If that is all you can afford or find it'll work just fine. but when you can honeyville will give you a better baked good.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Many years ago many of us had to make almond meal/flour. If you lived in the boondocks , that was your choice.

Now thank goodness we can purchase many wonderful things we like better.

If that is all you can afford or find it'll work just fine. but when you can honeyville will give you a better baked good.
On another thread in this forum, we're informed that there is a Honeyville coupon code, good right now, for 15% off. The code is "STUFFED". Don't know how long it will be good, but the thread was just started on the 29th.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jakryk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnport View Post
I can buy almond meal at Trader Joe's for $3.99 a lb. I buy my pecans at Costco for a little over $6.00 a pound... It's really easy to grind them into a meal. I like the pecan meal better than the almond. I think it has a richer flavor.
I don't think my Trader Joe's carries almond flour. I'll have to look for it or ask them to carry it. Is it the blanched flour?

The best I'd been able to find was Bob's Red Mill, and that was $12 for a one pound bag! You can see why I wanted to make my own.
jakryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
What TJ's has is Just Meal, almond meal with the skins ground up, not blanched. It works fine for most things.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
On another thread in this forum, we're informed that there is a Honeyville coupon code, good right now, for 15% off. The code is "STUFFED". Don't know how long it will be good, but the thread was just started on the 29th.
Through Tuesday, 12/4, 6 PM, PST.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
I usually make my own from blanched, slivered almonds. I grind it in a cheap coffee grinder and shake it through a strainer so only the fine powder gets through. It works fine for most things, though Honeyville's flour seems to be better in cakes.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote