Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Beverly's Candy Cane Chocolate Cupcakes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/790246-beverlys-candy-cane-chocolate-cupcakes.html)

sungoddess 11-28-2012 03:44 PM

Beverly's Candy Cane Chocolate Cupcakes

Beverly’s Candy Cane Chocolate Cupcakes
:yummy: :yummy:

This is a yummy treat for the holidays. This makes a nice moist dark chocolate cupcake with a refreshing light touch of peppermint in the frosting. I make four small cupcakes at a time because I need portion control when it comes to sweets. The texture is slightly reminiscent of a cake-like brownie. I used the silicon cupcake liners that I found at Target. I am listing the brand of ingredients I used as I know that often the success of an LC recipe is dependent upon the brand.

To make 4 small cupcakes:

Ingredients:
Dry:
2 Tbs Oat fiber (not oatmeal, not oat flour, not oat bran- this is fiber. I used Honeyville)
2 Tbs coconut flour (Coconut Secret)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (Whey Factors natural french vanilla flavor )
1 Tbs egg white powder (Deb EL )
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (NOW 100% pure powder )
1 Tbs Truvia
1 Tbs. Hershey’s special dark cocoa
Pinch of salt

Liquid:
1/4 c plus 1 Tbs Davinci sugar free chocolate syrup (more or less depending on brand of coconut flour you use)

Directions:
Thoroughly mix together all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Stir in the sugar free syrup. Add enough to make it the consistency of cake batter. Coconut flour absorbs a great deal of liquid, so stir it and let it sit and absorb a bit, as you may need to add more liquid to get a cake batter consistency.

Divide the batter into 4 silicon cupcake liners. Use a generous spoonful in each cup. Put the 4 cups on a microwaveable plate and microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. (time will vary according to your microwave). Let cool. When cool, remove cakes from cupcake liners. Frost with peppermint cream cheese frosting.

Peppermint cream cheese frosting

Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
2 sticks or 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 cups or 280 g powdered erythritol (Sensato)
1 tsp vanilla extract
5-7 drops peppermint extract (this depends on how pepperminty you like it. Add to taste)
Pinch of salt
pinch of xanthan gum (optional)
Enough heavy cream to make it the proper texture to pipe the frosting

Directions :
Cream softened butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl with cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered erythritol (a little at a time) and blend on low speed until combined. Taste for your desired level of sweetness. Add vanilla and peppermint extracts, a pinch of salt and a pinch of xanthan gum (optional). The intensity of peppermint is a personal taste, so add a bit at a time until it is the level you like.
Add the heavy cream, a little bit at a time until desired consistency is met. (Don’t add too much if you want the frosting to stay in place when piped on cupcakes.) Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
This makes more than is needed for 4 cupcakes but you can keep it refrigerated in a covered container or in piping bag to use when needed. Cut the recipe down if you don't want to keep any on hand.

To pipe the candy cane effect:
You can use a piping bag or ziplock bag. Put a star tip in your piping bag. Turn down the cuff of your piping bag and paint a line of red food coloring in stripes down the side of the bag. I used 3 stripes. You can also use a toothpick. I used gel food coloring. Carefully fill the bag with the white frosting. Squeeze a bit of the frosting out until you see the red stripes coming out and then swirl on your cupcakes.

Optional: top with crushed sugarfree candy canes for decoration. Do this right before serving or it tends to dissolve.

A shout out to Ouizoid for her fantastic flour mix. This recipe is based on her flour mix. :hugs:
Photos:
The silicon liners

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8964/linersi.jpg

The batter in the liners before baking

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9146/batter.jpg

Plate of cupcakes left in the liners
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3...necupcakes.jpg

A close up of the cupcakes taken out of the liners

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8...upcupcakes.jpg

Notes:
• I listed the brand of ingredients I used as I know that the success or failure of a low carb recipe often depends on the brand of ingredient used.
• I don’t know how other sweetener substitutes will work for this recipe since I didn’t try them. I tried Splenda alone and it makes the chocolate taste bitter. I used the Truvia in the 9.8 oz spoonable jar. I imagine Swerve would work or a mixture of erythritol/stevia.
• The glucomannan powder does make a difference in the texture of the cake.
• You can use any flavor of sugar free syrup you wish- I have used coffee, vanilla, toasted marshmallow
• Microwave times vary. Going too long makes the cake dry.
• You can use regular cocoa- I wanted the dark chocolate taste of the special dark. Some people have had trouble finding it. It isn't at my WalMart, but I found it at Smart and Final.
• You can triple the recipe and make a dozen. I did this but still microwaved 4 at a time. I don’t know how these would work baked in the oven. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in a mini cupcake pan. I just haven’t tried it since I just make 4 at a time a for portion control.
• Kids love these, but tend to like a more gentle peppermint flavor, so go easy on the extract for the kids. They are a nice size for the kids.
• This makes way more frosting than is needed for 4 cupcakes. I like to keep it made up in the refrigerator, ready to go.
• Without the frosting: This appears to be about 121 calories for 4 cupcakes recipe calculations or 30 calories per cupcake.
For carbs, it appears to be 18 effective carbs for 4 cupcakes or about 5 carbs per cupcake. This is based on 56 g carbs minus 38 g fiber. Maybe someone with a software program could see if this is correct.
Frosting: unable to calculate per cupcake. Anyone?

Charski 11-28-2012 04:13 PM

Oooo those look GOOOD - and BTW I have that same cake platter you have, the one with the candy canes sitting on top! Pretty!

drjlocarb 11-28-2012 06:28 PM

NICE!!

PaminKY 11-28-2012 06:48 PM

Those look gorgeous and delicious. I was really impressed by Ouizoid's flour mixture, I have to say it's about the best I've tried so far and I've tried bunches.

Nigel 11-30-2012 08:23 PM

Yum!!!
Thanks for the recipe.

kalatraza 12-01-2012 04:17 PM

:jumpjoy:

And these are completely appropriate for breakfast, right?

Charski 12-01-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalatraza (Post 16111386)

Of course! They're health food - egg whites, coconut flour, protein powder.... :laugh:

A cuppa coffee with cream to go alongside and you'll have your dairy too. Well, I guess technically the cream cheese icing counts there too. :D

sungoddess 12-02-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalatraza (Post 16111386)

I had a big smile when I read your post Kalatraza. :)I actually do eat it regularly for breakfast. Ever since I discovered Ouizoid's flour mix, I have been eating some version of it regularly for breakfast. I don't take the time to make this version as cupcakes when I make it for breakfast--instead I make it in a small bowl, and I don't like peppermint in the AM ( is that like not having a cocktail before 5:00?:confused:), and it is a great breakfast for me.

I love Charski's post. I do look at it as a healthy option-:hyst: the fiber, the protein, and the best of all is the antioxidants in the dark cocoa. A yummy way to get in those flavonoids and procyanidins. Low calorie, low carb, wheat free, sugar free, and daily fiber. What works best for me with this is it is FILLING! This keeps me full for more than half a day. And it is delicious. What's not to love...:heart: