Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
What do I do with this?

My husband went out on black Friday "just to see what is going on" I guess he caught the shopping bug because he came home with a toaster oven. I hoped the leaflet would have some recipes or at least a few tips as to what to make in it, but no such luck. I know you can make toast (we have a toaster) or you can melt cheese on sandwiches. Well, that pretty much covers my knowledge of toaster ovens. What do you do with your toaster oven?
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
It is excellent for melting the cheese on a low carb wrap, and I used to use mine for baking just one potato (why heat the whole oven?). If heating anything with just one or two servings (or up to four, depending on the toaster oven size), it will work fine - mashed cauliflower with cheese on top, individual pizza's, one minute muffins, reheating a stew or other casserole, etc. A piece of fish in a sauce baked in a gratin dish would work, as would a small dish of eggplant parmesan. Think of it as a small oven that has the heating element a bit closer under the pot than your big oven, and you will figure it out. They can be quite handy, especially when cooking for a crowd and your main oven is otherwise occupied.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
I use mine a lot - especially in the summer when I don't want to heat the kitchen with the big oven. You can bake anything in it that bakes in a regular oven, as long as it fits. They usually come with a little baking pan. Pie dishes and small casserole pans usually fit, as well as 6 well muffin tins.

I have made pies, baked cookies and fish and pizza. Mine has two racks so I often double up.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I use mine alot. I have smaller casserole dishes to work in a toaster oven. Silicone bake ware works great.

Its great for 1 or 2 people dinners. I bake in it too. Love it.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/170.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I use mine a lot too--I have a 9x13 metal pan that fits tight but use it a lot in there--plus anything else-like a pan of cupcakes and anything else I can fit in there--you will use it a lot if you just begin to use it-my oven broke and I didn't replace it for awhile--it came in so handy!!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I'm no help - I rarely used mine so got rid of it!

However I DO have a stove with two ovens, one of which is just big enough for an 8" x 8" or 7.5" x 11" pan. I use that a lot.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
they are great for people who don't have a kitchen to go along with a microwave. for someone with a real oven, I don't think it's a good use of counter space. at least store the other toaster. both is overkill! unless your family really really eats a lot of toast. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I use it instead of my oven for as much as possible. I have a loaf of (LC) bread in it now. Bake cookies in there, you name it, if it can fit into one of the pans I have for it, in it goes. Rarely do I need my oven. I used it for the first time in months for the Thanksgiving turkey.

Oh have baked cheesecakes and pies in there as well, meatloaf, guess I could go on.

Now and then I go online to make sure I can get another one similar to the one I have when this one goes out on me.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
I wasn't sure I could use it for a loaf of bread. I thought the top might burn because it is so close to the element. Do you cover it for the first part of the baking so it doesn't get too brown?
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
I wasn't sure I could use it for a loaf of bread. I thought the top might burn because it is so close to the element. Do you cover it for the first part of the baking so it doesn't get too brown?
I cover during the last half of the baking. Just pulled it out and looks and smells wonderful!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Charski, I have the same oven, I think. I have 2 ovens the top one can be a microwave, a reg. oven or convection. Same with the lower oven, but not a microwave and a warming drawer in the bottom. I love it. It is a GE Profile, advantum 120.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote