Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chicken and Dressing In a Jiffy LC/Paleo*/Primal/GF (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/789218-chicken-dressing-jiffy-lc-paleo-primal-gf.html)

Dottie 11-14-2012 12:07 PM

Chicken and Dressing In a Jiffy LC/Paleo*/Primal/GF

This is a take on the "big old southern style biscuit" recipe found here:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html

I can definitely see this working (without the chicken) as a Thanksgiving stuffing, but I do think it would benefit from making the bread a few days ahead and really allowing it to dry out.
My grandmother used to make "dressing" with oysters and I love it, I may see if I can tweak this into that type of dressing.

Paleo* because you can opt to add butter and/or cream at the end.

Chicken and Dressing In a Jiffy LC/Paleo/Primal/GF
Ingredients
• 3 oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
• 1 medium stalks Celery
• 2 stalk Fresh GREEN ONIONS
• 1 cup Chicken Broth
• 1/4 tsp Spices-Poultry Seasoning
• 1 tbsp Raw Coconut Flour
• 2 tbsp Natural, Unblanched Almond Flour
• 1 Extra Large Grade Aa Eggs
• 3 tbsp Tap Water
Directions
To make the "bread" :
Beat the egg with 2T water, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper (don't skip this, if you don't season the bread part it's bland later).
Add in the coconut flour and almond flour and mix well. If it's too thick, add 1T water. It should be a solid batter but not a dough.
Spray a bowl with cooking spray and spread the batter in it and microwave for 2 minutes. It should pull away from the sides of the bowl and not be gummy in the middle.
Let cool for 3 or 4 minutes, turn out and dice into "bread cubes" and let cool, then refrigerate overnight, uncovered, to dry out more. If you prefer, you can crumble the cubes as well.

Cook the chicken breast as you like (bake or saute) and chop into small pieces.
Thinly slice the celery and green onion.
In a small saucepan: 1/2 cup broth, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper (seasonings are to taste), celery and green onions and the cooked chicken.
Let simmer a few minutes until the veggies are soft.
IF the mixture is dry, add the remaining broth and heat through. There should be about 2-3T liquid.

Toss with the bread cubes and put in a microwave safe mug or bowl.

Now, you can be done here, just microwave for 2 minutes until it's all hot OR you can make it more decadent:
Drizzle 1T heavy cream over the top, then dot with 1T butter before microwaving (add 150 cals for this step).

If you choose to bake this for the final step, I suggest 400f toaster oven for 10 minutes to crisp up the top, though I have not tried it that way - yet!

Cals: 315
Fat: 15.25g
Carbs: 12.5g
Fiber: 7.5g
Protein: 31.25g

MsWoods 11-14-2012 01:20 PM

Thanks Dottie! That sounds so easy. I like easy.

I wonder if the texture would be more bread like if you baked instead of microwaved? I've noticed any time I try to make breads out of flax/almond flour/coconut flour if I make it in the microwave it's really spongy, but if I bake it it's more bread like.

Dottie 11-14-2012 02:27 PM

I haven't tried baking them, let me know if you do:)

mamabear6 11-15-2012 05:26 AM

Thank you, this is an awesome idea. I make coconut flour biscuits sometimes, and I could really see it working for stuffing. I'm going to try a small batch before T-day and see how it works because my family wants it but I don't want to make a high carb version!!! I'm excited!!
I think I'll just make the biscuits, let dry out, cube and toast in the oven, then mix with my regular stuffing ingredients and see if that works okay. I made a "stuffing" type dish before with cauliflower and flax/almond bread with cream cheese and sage. It was delicious, but very calorie heavy. I think made with coconut flour bread and without cream cheese it would be great! I would use mushrooms as well.

rosethorns 01-19-2013 09:11 AM

How did I miss this!!!!

buttoni 01-19-2013 09:31 AM

I missed this, too, Esther! That sounds delicious, Dottie. And so easy....my cuppa tea. I'll have to give this a try soon. So glad it got bumped back up!

Barbo 01-19-2013 01:32 PM

Me Too! Go Dottie!

I missed this recipe. One of the things that my southern family
always did was a casserole with stuffing and either turkey or chicken
cup up. They always baked it. I have an 8-9 lb.turkey hen in
my freezer and Dottie I am going to bake your recipe.
Thank you so much. I had flu almost the entire month of
December so that may be why I didn't see your recipe.

Jennifer Eloff 01-19-2013 04:33 PM

I read your recipe with interest. Sounds lovely, Dottie. Clever! :)