Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cranberry Pecan Mini-Tarts (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/789217-cranberry-pecan-mini-tarts.html)

Barbo 11-14-2012 11:43 AM

Cranberry Pecan Mini-Tarts

Cranberry-Pecan Tassies
This is the recipe I have used for many years.

1 3oz.pg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup Almond flour
1 egg
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar Sub.
3/4 cup Splenda
1-tsp. vanilla
1/3-cup finely chopped cranberries
3 tablespoons chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese and butter, stir in flour. If desired, cover and chill one hour. Shape into 24 balls (mine made 22); place in ungreased mini- muffin pans. Press dough evenly against bottom and sides of each muffin cup.

In a small mixing bowl beat together egg, sweeteners, vanilla and salt till smooth. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Spoon into pastry-lined muffin cups. Bake in 325-degree oven for 30 minutes or till pastry is golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans by loosening with tip of knife around the edge.

Let me know what you think.

MsWoods 11-14-2012 01:22 PM

Barbo you always have the best recipes! I wish you would put pictures up. I eat with my eyes lol.

That recipe looks so simple and sounds so good. I may try that when I get some almond meal.

Barbo 11-14-2012 04:54 PM

Thanks to you Ms. Wood

That's very nice of you to say those lovely things.

I have not learned how to post pictures on this board.
Do know how to send you a picture in your email.

The pecan little pies are so easy to make.
Towards last of Nov. I'm going to make them for
my daughter and I to take to Disneyland for our
Christmas visit. They freeze well if wrapped real good.
Such a delicious bite with a cuppa...just when you need it.

Tweaker Geek 11-14-2012 06:05 PM

Barbo - Those sound really good for this time of year. I have a lemon tassies recipe that I adapted from a Paula Deen recipe.

That Girl 11-14-2012 08:01 PM

Sounds great! Did someone mention lemon tassies???? Could you please post the recipe? Thanks!

Nigel 11-15-2012 11:10 AM

This recipe sounds great. Thanks Barbo.

I was wondering if I could use something instead of the cream cheese?
Maybe some almond butter or anything you might suggest?

I'm not a big fan of cream cheese.

CarolynF 11-15-2012 11:30 AM

Thanks..this will be Cookie for our Cookie Exchange this year..Gotta make 4 dozen.

ladeeda 11-15-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16079543)
Barbo - Those sound really good for this time of year. I have a lemon tassies recipe that I adapted from a Paula Deen recipe.

Please post the recipe

Tweaker Geek 11-15-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladeeda (Post 16081022)
Please post the recipe

Ladeeda and Bella - I will find it and post for you - I may not get to it till tomorrow night but I will do it.

DairyQueen 11-15-2012 06:49 PM

sounds deeelish but......how many carbs??

Tweaker Geek 11-15-2012 07:25 PM

I'm baaaaack! -- I found my recipe easier than I thought I would so here it is:

LEMON TASSIES (Paula Deen Recipe low-carbed)
(makes 24 mini tassies or 12 muffin size)
Tassie Cups:

1 cup flour (I used Kevin's bake mix)
3 oz. cream cheese
1 stick butter (softened)
pinch of salt

Pulse in food processor to make a ball; wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.

After the dough has been refrigerated, pinch off a small amount of dough, roll into a ball and drop into a mini muffin cup. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of muffin cup. (use fingers or a flat bottom shot glass to press bottom into pan) Continue till all dough is used. Bake the tassie cups at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool 10 mins. then remove from pan to rack to cool completely.

Lemon Curd:

Heat water in double boiler or bowl over a pot of water on stovetop.

1 cup sugar (use whatever your preferred s.f. sweetener combo is)
Juice and zest of 3 lemons
4 extra-large eggs
1 stick butter, melted

In food processor, pulse the sugar, lemon juice and zest and eggs to mix together. Slowly add 1 stick melted butter while keeping processor running. Add the lemon mixture to the double boiler and cook to thicken, about 3 minutes. Cool in the refrigerator.

Fill the tassie cups with the cooled lemon curd. Top with whipped cream.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2427bqq.jpg

That Girl 11-15-2012 11:00 PM

:notwrthy: :clap: Holy cow!!! Those look amazing!!! Thank you so much!

at_last 11-16-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DairyQueen (Post 16081690)
sounds deeelish but......how many carbs??

For the Cranberry Pecan tarts? Here is the nutritional value I got. I made half a batch (only had a 12 cup mini-muffin pan). I used a whole egg and 1 oz each cranberries and pecans. I use Truvia so artificial sweetener counts are not included.

They are delicious!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 83
Calories 93

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 9.19g 14%
Saturated Fat 3.637g 18%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.241g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.739g
Cholesterol 32mg 11%
Sodium 17mg 1%
Potassium 52mg
Total Carbohydrate 1.55g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0.8g 3%
Sugars 0.44g
Net Carbs 0.75g
Protein 1.9g

MsWoods 11-16-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at_last (Post 16082051)
For the Cranberry Pecan tarts? Here is the nutritional value I got. I made half a batch (only had a 12 cup mini-muffin pan). I used a whole egg and 1 oz each cranberries and pecans. I use Truvia so artificial sweetener counts are not included.

They are delicious!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 83
Calories 93

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 9.19g 14%
Saturated Fat 3.637g 18%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.241g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.739g
Cholesterol 32mg 11%
Sodium 17mg 1%
Potassium 52mg
Total Carbohydrate 1.55g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0.8g 3%
Sugars 0.44g
Net Carbs 0.75g
Protein 1.9g

Wow. I must make these. I love recipes that are low calories and low carbs.

PaminKY 11-16-2012 08:03 AM

While looking for something this morning in my unorganized stash of kitchen stuff I ran upon a nice silicone mini muffin tin pan that is just crying out to have these made in it.

I might also use a bit of the Superior Flavors Pecan flavoring I recently purchased.

Tweaker Geek 11-16-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 16081881)
:notwrthy: :clap: Holy cow!!! Those look amazing!!! Thank you so much!

Thanks, Bella, they are quite yummy. I hope you give them a try.

Tilly 11-18-2012 12:06 PM

subbing for holiday get-togethers!!!!

Tilly 11-18-2012 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Tweaker Geek;16081741]I'm baaaaack! -- I found my recipe easier than I thought I would so here it is:

LEMON TASSIES (Paula Deen Recipe low-carbed)
(makes 24 mini tassies or 12 muffin size)
Tassie Cups:

1 cup flour (I used Kevin's bake mix)
3 oz. cream cheese
1 stick butter (softened)
pinch of salt

Pulse in food processor to make a ball; wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.

After the dough has been refrigerated, pinch off a small amount of dough, roll into a ball and drop into a mini muffin cup. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of muffin cup. (use fingers or a flat bottom shot glass to press bottom into pan) Continue till all dough is used. Bake the tassie cups at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool 10 mins. then remove from pan to rack to cool completely.

Lemon Curd:

Heat water in double boiler or bowl over a pot of water on stovetop.

1 cup sugar (use whatever your preferred s.f. sweetener combo is)
Juice and zest of 3 lemons
4 extra-large eggs
1 stick butter, melted

In food processor, pulse the sugar, lemon juice and zest and eggs to mix together. Slowly add 1 stick melted butter while keeping processor running. Add the lemon mixture to the double boiler and cook to thicken, about 3 minutes. Cool in the refrigerator.

Fill the tassie cups with the cooled lemon curd. Top with whipped cream.QUOTE]

Does anyone know if I could use Jennifers baking mix as a sub for Kevin's? And would it be cup for cup?

sofl 11-18-2012 12:44 PM

All I have is salted sweet cream butter, will this be ok to use to make the crust? I wasn't sure if "salted" is ok or not.

Barbo 11-18-2012 12:59 PM

Tassies

Happy that some of you liked these.

I will be making mine this week. Will freeze some for
December. They freeze well if wrapped real good.

Tooter's Mini Pecan pies are wonderful too.

Tilly 11-18-2012 01:42 PM

Does anyone know if I could use Jennifers baking mix as a sub for Kevin's mix in the lemon tassies? And would it be cup for cup?

Sorry my previous post got mixed up.

Tweaker Geek 11-18-2012 07:26 PM

Tilly - I'm fairly certain that Jen's mix would work. I would use it cup for cup.

Sofl - I used salted butter in the lemon tassies and I'm sure salted would be fine in Barbo's recipe also.

CarolynF 11-24-2012 07:13 AM

I'm adding this thread to the Christmas Cookie one..:)

padowd 11-24-2012 08:07 AM

I made the Cranberry Pecan Tarts and my husband loved them and so did I. This is the best lowcarb item I have made. I also made Jennifers Pumpkin Pie with the Pecan crust and my husband also loved it. I know when he likes it then it is good. I have found out using two or more sweetbread is the key.

CarolynF 11-24-2012 08:11 AM

Okay, guys..This is this afternoon's project..;) I was going to wait until my cookie exchange, but can't,,,,

rosethorns 11-24-2012 08:56 AM

Barbo these tarts sound wonderful. I've looked at this three 4 times trying to figure out how to make them without cream cheese. Well silly me just leave it out. Is it a binder in your recipe?

So can I just make an almond crust and use that? The filling just sounds marvelous.

24Fan 11-25-2012 05:16 AM

Barbo, those sound delish! I love the pecan tart recipe, make them every holiday season. My kids love them too. Illl have to try this using your version.

Tweaker, those lemon tassies look amazing! Saving this recipe to try too.

rosethorns 11-25-2012 07:21 AM

any answers? I think I'll try it.

Tweaker those Lemon Tassies look great.

Linnylamb 11-25-2012 07:29 AM

Esther,

I haven't made Barbo's recipe yet (although it's on my "list"), but I have made Tooter's tassies many times. I think both recipes use the cream cheese to make a dough like crust that holds in the filling. I think you could make a nut only crust, just not sure how well it would hold the filling. Maybe try putting them in little paper liners just in case? Or maybe you have another kind of crust that uses ingredients that you can tolerate.

rosethorns 11-25-2012 10:57 AM

Thanks Linney. I thought it was to hold everything together, so now I know what I can use.:high5: