Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Widget's Stuffing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/789134-widgets-stuffing.html)

Widget 11-13-2012 04:36 AM

Widget's Stuffing

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...v/Dressing.jpg

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/.../Dressing2.jpg

After several attempts at making stuffing using various lc bread recipes, I came to the conclusion that, at least for me, the traditional way of making stuffing with pre-baked bread doesn't work well for lc stuffing, so I decided to bake the bread along with the stuffing. It worked very well. I used rubbed sage, but you can use any seasonings that suit your own taste.

WIDGET'S STUFFING (serves 8)

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pork rinds (approx. 1/2 oz.)
1 tablespoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder

1 lb. bulk sausage
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped

2 eggs
1/2 cup chicken broth

Grind the pork rinds into a flour. In a small bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients. Set aside. Oil an 8" square pan.

Brown the sausage, remove the sausage from the skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add the butter, onion and celery to the skillet and cook until done the way you like it. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs and broth until well combined. Stir in 1/2 of the dry ingredients until well blended, then the other half. Stir 1/2 of this mixture into the skillet, then the other half. Stir in the sausage.

Spread into the pan and bake 25 minutes, just until lightly browned. Can be frozen.

CarolynF 11-13-2012 07:20 AM

Great idea..And I think there is a Sage Sausage out there, too.

mirinblue 11-13-2012 01:00 PM

Interesting...was it really good? I, too, have baked many LC breads to make stuffing with and have been disappointed every time. So? Good?

Widget 11-13-2012 01:56 PM

It is really good. Tastes like traditional sausage stuffing. It is just as good reheated in the nuker the next day.

Vilya 11-13-2012 07:28 PM

Looks and sounds awesome! Thanks, I've been looking for a good stuffing recipe. :)

Tweaker Geek 11-13-2012 07:46 PM

I think I will try 1/2 of the recipe in a small casserole dish. I know I'll have to add poultry seasoning and black pepper to the sage. I like my stuffing highly seasoned but boy, I'm really impressed with your recipe. Thanks, Widget.

Widget 11-13-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16077529)
I think I will try 1/2 of the recipe in a small casserole dish. I know I'll have to add poultry seasoning and black pepper to the sage. I like my stuffing highly seasoned

Since you are halving the recipe, of course you will have a shorter baking time. Watch it close and only bake until lightly browned. With any stuffing, if you bake it too long, it will be on the dry side.

One tablespoon of rubbed sage is equal to 1 tablespoon of dried sage or 2 1/4 teaspoons of ground sage. So half the recipe would be 1 1/8 teaspoon of ground sage. But of course if you use poultry seasoning, you'll have to cut down quite a bit on the sage. Since that is the only herb I put in my stuffing, I go heavy on the sage. :yummy:

Nigel 11-14-2012 12:07 PM

That looks really good Widget. Thanks for the recipe. :)

dmburk 11-16-2012 01:00 PM

I made this today, Pennsylvania Dutch variation. No sage, but added parsley and saffron to the butter when sauteing the onion and celery. And just used country style sausage. It smells wonderful. just tasted a little bit, but I think it is just about perfect. Next time I'll use cooked, cut up chicken or turkey instead of sausage.

Jakelilydad 11-16-2012 09:05 PM

Made it yesterday. YUM! Next time I will double the amount of celery, though, and perhaps some sauteed mushrooms, too. But it IS good. Thanks for posting.

Tweaker Geek 11-20-2012 03:21 PM

Widget - I just ground up a bag of pork rinds and then looked at your recipe, you say coarsely chopped, lol, I need to read before I prepare from memory!! Anyway, are you saying leave them a little chunky? Would it work if they're finely ground or be too mushy? I can get another bag of rinds tomorrow if need be. TIA

Widget 11-20-2012 03:46 PM

The recipe calls for coarsely chopped rinds (for purpose of measuring them), and the first sentence of the instructions say to grind them into a flour. No, you don't want them to be chunky.

Tweaker Geek 11-20-2012 05:09 PM

:doh: Thanks, Widget I just reread the recipe for the umpteenth time and can't believe I missed that!! LOL, I think I'm tired - I'm not going to do anything until tomorrow.:laugh:

Vilya 11-21-2012 07:41 AM

I'm making this tomorrow and can't wait!!! I've been looking forward to it for weeks. STUFFING! :D

Katy 11-21-2012 02:59 PM

I am cooking it right now. Hoping it's yummy.

LastRick 11-21-2012 06:24 PM

Made this tonight. Only tweak I might make next time is (like Tweaker above me) I'd add a little poultry seasonings. Other than that, pretty good dish.

Vilya 11-22-2012 08:58 AM

I just made this and tasted a little corner (for quality purposes).

Ohhhhh my Goddddd!!!! It is exactly like real stuffing. I didn't have any rubbed sage, so I used a tiny bit of savory instead. And sage sausage. DELICIOUS.

at_last 11-22-2012 03:23 PM

Made this for Thanksgiving and it's fantastic! Just like Vilya said - it tastes like the real thing! Thanks, Widget!

Tweaker Geek 11-22-2012 07:36 PM

Kudos, Widget - I made it and I love it! I added 2 Tbs. poultry seasoning, quite a bit of black pepper (cause I put black pepper in everything!) and a little salt. You have a winner with this one! Thank you so much for sharing with us.:)

Barbo 11-25-2012 08:53 PM

Tweaker

Your stuffing is delicious.
You have made so many good recipes with your
combination of pork rinds/almonds.

:clap:

Barbo 12-08-2012 10:35 AM

Widget's Stuffing

:jumpjoy: Thanks again Widget. I made this stuffing last night
to go with our roast chicken and gravy. It is a winner. Hopefully
you all will try it. I used Jimmy Dean sausage, added 1/2 tsp.
poultry seasoning as I did't have the sage sausage. I baked it
a little longer. That pan is half gone. My DH loved it. This will
be my go to stuffing from now on. No worries about carbs.

cjack1 11-16-2013 12:43 PM

Bump for turkey day...

purpleducks 11-16-2013 10:45 PM

This sounds awesome. I'll be making this to accompany the turkey I'm cooking this week.

greengeeny 11-23-2013 10:41 AM

Well...I bought almond flour and was going to bake this lc bread to make into stuffing, but after reading the comments on here, I think I will go with this version instead :) I am hosting thanksgiving this year, and plan on making 90% lc foods :) The only acception is pumpkin roll and 2 pies. I can not wait to make this stuffing!!!!

One question...can you stuff the turkey with this?

frogg 12-08-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengeeny (Post 16693955)
Well...I bought almond flour and was going to bake this lc bread to make into stuffing, but after reading the comments on here, I think I will go with this version instead :) I am hosting thanksgiving this year, and plan on making 90% lc foods :) The only acception is pumpkin roll and 2 pies. I can not wait to make this stuffing!!!!

One question...can you stuff the turkey with this?

I wouldn't ever stuff a turkey with any stuffing, it's dangerous as the internal temperature is lower than it should be when stuffed and the danger zone happens. Bad bacteria and all that. :)

metqa 12-09-2013 08:03 AM

I got a secret from a chef, and he said he bakes his dressing in a pan and cooks his turkey separately, and when the bird is done, the stuffs the dressing into the bird's cavity, and let's it stay there as the bird settles. You can't cut the bird right away because all the juices that have been forced out of the meat as it cooks gets reabsorbed , and some of that dripping gets absorbed by the stuffing while the bird rests.

That way he has a safe bird and a safe dressing that has the same moist deliciousness as a stuffing.

BTW, This was the BEST Dressing. I ate it and when it ran out I was sad. I might make it again just to have some cause it's THAT good! However, I probably wouldn't stuff the bird with it, because it is already very very moist, or at least mine was. I baked it in a deep dish, cause I didn't have a shallow dish, and honestly, as it dried out over the next few days of eating, the texture changed. The crust was the best part, so I think if you baked this in a shallow dish and bake it on the dry side, then you could then stuff the bird , post baking and let it soak up the juices. It would be too moist and loose otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut the salt, as I found mine was a bit salty even before the gravy. Maybe I could use salt free broth, or a sausage with no salt added, do they make that? I used poultry seasoning, I don't think that has salt. Even so, it was a most delicious treat!

yougottaeat 12-11-2013 07:40 PM

This is a wonderful recipe! and so easy! I will never go back to trying to make lc bread to use for dressing. Thanks so much. I've got a feeling I will be making this year round. :)

edited to add that I doubled the recipe. Used Jimmy Deans sage sausage and froze it ahead for Thanksgiving and it worked great!

metqa 12-12-2013 07:47 AM

Did you freeze it uncooked, or cooked it then froze it?

metqa 12-12-2013 01:01 PM

I just made a half batch of this, using mild pork sausage. I spread it into an 8 inch cake pan, to make it thinner. I use 1/3t of baking soda to cut the salty taste, and unsalted butter.

IT TASTES SO GOOD. the top later is solid and the under layer is a bit soft but the flavor is spot on. Since I want to eat it with gravy, I want it to have a more tough texture of the surface, so I scooped it out and flipped it over so the underside could cook more and dry out a bit. On it's own, it's fabulous and just the right texture and taste.

Oh, I added a handful of mushrooms to it and it's perfect.

yougottaeat 12-12-2013 06:47 PM

I doubled the recipe spread in a 9 X 13 pan and froze it uncooked. I put in the frig the day before Thanksgiving then baked it.