Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
bone broth is like magic...

I guess it must be the salt, but I am shocked at that because I really would have that that I get *plenty* of salt. I've eaten a ton of salt all of my life. But anyhow... I normally don't eat until late in the day but I've started a new habit of making homemade chicken broth (I just buy a costco chicken and share some of the meat with my kids and then throw it in a pot) and having some in the afternoon. It really cuts out any munchy snacky feelings for a while. I tend to want to have my dinner about three hours later. And I feel recharged by it. I especially notice a big difference if I'm feeling sluggish to begin with. I think it might be better than prozac.

Does anyone else keep a pot of bone broth going?

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I have been making mine since being back on LC. But, I start with raw chicken, usually throw in 2 breast, 2 legs, 3-4 thighs and some wings. Simmer in water with salt, pepper and a big hunk of butter for several hours. Then I strain off the broth, package that up for the freezer and pick the meat off the bones, and then package that up in 4 oz bags. To reheat the chicken, so it isn't dry, I put some butter in a skillet on medium heat and slowly reheat the chicken in it. Thinking I need to make some today.
Last night I made cream of chicken soup. 2 cups of the broth, 4 oz of the chicken pieces, about 3 T of butter, salt, pepper. Heat that good, then stir in 1 cup of HWC, and just bring that to a boil, don't let it sit and boil so as to not curdle the cream. I melted teh 3 T of butter and whisked in about 1 t of Xanthan gum to just thicken it a teeny bit, probably could have used more. It was delish!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Love homemade bone broth and stock. When eating very low carb, our minerals and electrolytes get depleted along with the water we lose, so I always need to replenish them regularly or I get sluggish/headachy and sometimes shaky even. It's so tasty and satisfying and very nutritious!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
what is the difference between broth and stock?

is stock merely broth cooked down to a more concentrated flavor...say reduced by 1/2? if not, please illuminate? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
I've made it a few times, and I've tried to just drink it from a mug, but somehow it grosses me out. I like to use it for soups though, so I was thinking maybe just having a daily bowl of soup made with the super restorative broth would be something to try.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
is stock merely broth cooked down to a more concentrated flavor...say reduced by 1/2? if not, please illuminate? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
You need to cook the bones (usually for a long time, but you can use a pressure cooker) with a dash of something acidic like wine, lemon juice, or vinegar to help leach minerals from them--thus, "bone broth."

If you do a search for "making bone broth" you'll get lots of hits.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I have been making mine since being back on LC. But, I start with raw chicken, usually throw in 2 breast, 2 legs, 3-4 thighs and some wings. Simmer in water with salt, pepper and a big hunk of butter for several hours. Then I strain off the broth, package that up for the freezer and pick the meat off the bones, and then package that up in 4 oz bags. To reheat the chicken, so it isn't dry, I put some butter in a skillet on medium heat and slowly reheat the chicken in it. Thinking I need to make some today.
Last night I made cream of chicken soup. 2 cups of the broth, 4 oz of the chicken pieces, about 3 T of butter, salt, pepper. Heat that good, then stir in 1 cup of HWC, and just bring that to a boil, don't let it sit and boil so as to not curdle the cream. I melted teh 3 T of butter and whisked in about 1 t of Xanthan gum to just thicken it a teeny bit, probably could have used more. It was delish!
My process is similar. I separate the meat and measure it out depending on how much protein I need at a particular meal. Then I either warm it up in the broth or fry it up in butter. maybe I will try a whole raw chicken next time. I wasn't sure if you could start from raw and, oddly, the Costco rotisserie chickens are cheaper than their whole raw fryers/roasters.

That cream of chicken soup sure sounds yummy. So far I mostly have had mine with just garlic.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I made some last weekend and I agree! It is good stuff! I roasted a turkey breast and then simmered the bones for hours with onions, celery and a bay leaf. I did add about a tsp of chicken base to it to enhance the flavor. I had a cup every day at noon and the difference was very noticeable. I've never really had that energy boost that others have mentioned from low carb and always started the day feeling icky and sluggish. Last week, my afternoons were much better and once I figured it out, I had the cup of broth in the morning after my coffee.

Good stuff!!
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Oooh, I should do a turkey! They have some smallish ones at Trader Joe's right now.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOhNine View Post
You need to cook the bones (usually for a long time, but you can use a pressure cooker) with a dash of something acidic like wine, lemon juice, or vinegar to help leach minerals from them--thus, "bone broth."

If you do a search for "making bone broth" you'll get lots of hits.
I wondered what the difference was, thanks for clearing that up!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I just finished boiling some raw chicken for several hours and the broth is very tasty but SO greasy! I think I'll actually skim the fat tomorrow, which seems so wrong being on a HF diet and all. But I read somewhere that chicken fat isn't so great for you. It's high in poyunsaturated fat.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie302
WOE: LC - 20 grams per day
You know how Grandma or mom always use to make you chicken soup when you were sick? The secret is in the bones. Bones are fan-tab-ulous! When making beef stew, I always use soup bones (beef bones). It gives a flavor like no other.

I love cooking a whole chicken to make the broth. I always cook it about 10 mins then drain the foamy water (the foam/floaty stuff is the cooked blood for those who dont know) and then rinse it and put it back in clean water and cook for a few hours. I also -always- put onions, salt and black pepper in mine. I take the chicken out, shred it off the bone and put some back in the broth with some green beans to make a very LC soup. Sometimes I just drink the broth and eat the chicken separate.

Chicken soup (or broth) is simply a magical food.
Blondie302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I make chicken broth from the carcass/bones of a roasted chicken every week (with filtered water, bones, onion, and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar) and beef broth from beef soup bones or oxtail nearly every week (roasting the bones at 400 for 45 minutes before I put them in the soup pot, again with onion and apple cider vinegar and salt). There are lots of great benefits from homemade broth, including getting calcium and natural gelatin high in vitamins and minerals. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon emphasize how good bone broth is for your health, in their book "Nourishing Traditions." I find that roasting the bones first (e.g., using bones from a roast chicken after stripping off the meat) gives me the best results. I normally chill the broth and remove some of the fat that rises to the top before eating it, so it doesn't taste greasy.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

So, adding the apple cider vinegar, helps to get all the good stuff from the bones, right? Can you taste it at all?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

While you guys skim off some of the fat, I actually add butter to my big soup pot of chicken which is simmering on the stove as we speak. I don't think the chicken we buy at the grocery store has near the fat of old fashioned farm chickens I can remember my grandmother cooking on the stove, seems like that broth had plenty of fat. Mine, without the butter, just tastes blah to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
So, adding the apple cider vinegar, helps to get all the good stuff from the bones, right? Can you taste it at all?
I really can't taste the apple cider vinegar if I boil the bones for a few hours. Maybe if I did a side-by-side taste test, I'd say broth with the vinegar was a tiny bit tangier than broth made without vinegar, but it tastes delicious to me. And you do get lots more good mineral content leached from the bones if you add something acid, like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: ongoing
I too couldn't make it w/o homemade broth.I cook chic,beef and prk for broths.I have lots of GERD and it helps w nausea,plus fills me up.Sure can't have it on low fat diet w/o counting that lil bit of fat.Its so good in cooking.Just got the Taco Soup recipe copied,know it'll be good as has beef broth in it.The sodium helps w leg cramps too.I can't find any store bought broths w/o wheat,yeast or additives,I make my own.Cheaper,too.
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I use beef soup bones and rib bones and add about a half cup of apple cider vinegar and simmer for about 4 1/2 hours. Then let it cool and refrigerate overnight. The next day, skim off most of the fat, heat it back up, take out the soup bones after scraping them off and taking out the marrow, and add vegetables and heat til they're cooked through.

When the broth is cold, it's very jelly like. I add 5 or 6 tomatoes that I've blended in the Magic Bullet and heat it back up.

I used chicken my first time, but it was sooo much more work.

I don't have access to organic beef bones, so I use Kosher.

Once I added raspberry vinegar to the broth because I didn't have any other kind. It smelled 'interesting' but wasn't bad at all. Now I pretty much use apple cider vinegar.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Barum Dancer
Free

I simmer a big bag of chicken wings in a slow crock ,the largest I could buy, for at least twenty four hours.Having added some lemon juice you can squash the bones between your fingers.Best of all my local butcher gives me beef bones for free,So that is a very cheap dish.
Barum Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I'm gonna have to try beef next.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
How much water do you guys add to either the veef or chicken bones? I'm interested in making these bone broths and never have before. What's the best way to make them really rich? Less water?

Also, what kind of beef bones do I get? Do I ask the butcher or buy just beef ribs or what?
marieze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I have a 10 quart stock pot and I fill it up to the top and let it boil away because when there's less volume, it takes less time to cool down. Then, when I take out the bones, the pot is about half full before I start adding veggies and tomato juice.

You can find packages of soup bones, or marrow bones in the meat department. If you find long bones, like for ribs and can't get the marrow bones, you can ask the butcher on duty to cut you some or cut up some ribs into shorter pieces. Or ask for some soup bones.

I use four packages of marrow bones and a couple of packages of ribs. I have also put a chuck roast in the pot and boiled it along with the bones instead of the ribs. It's almost like braising and the meat just falls apart when it's done.

After you skim off the fat, you will have soft tissue and marrow in the broth. Leave them both in there, that's the good stuff.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I save the carcasses of roasted chickens along with the pan juices in a bag in the freezer. When I have 3, I simmer them with garlic and onion (no need to peel) pepper corns, celery, carrot, bay leaf and a couple of tbsp of cider vinegar for at least 6 hours (more like 8-10). In the last hour of simmering, I add a bunch of dried seaweed (for the nutritional benefits).

Strain well and refrigerate. When completely cooled, skim fat from the top and dispose. Contrary to what most think, chicken fat is not the best choice as it is kind of high in omega 6's.

I freeze what I won't use within the next 3 days by lining a metal tray with wax paper and then storing in ziplock baggies or other freezer storage bags. If you are trying to reduce plastic exposure, keep the frozen broth wrapped in the wax paper. And use organic where ever possible!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 11-13-2012 at 05:42 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Great thread...makes me want to try some.
Problem is I doubt if I will ever go through the effort.
Sooooooooooooooo
are there any commercial bone broth products out there?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
My husband made me some bone in chicken broth when I was sick recently...it was awesome
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Sooooooooooooooo
Hey Avid, I use to think the same but honestly, it is very easy and requires little effort and is so worth while.

To answer your question, I noticed that Costco is offering their brand of 'stock' but it is not organic and I have no idea of how good it is. I checked the ingredients and they seem fine. Might be worth a try.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sooooooooooooooo
If you start w the remains of a Costco (or anywhere, i guess) rotisserie chicken, all you gotta do is throw the remains in a pot and cover w water. you can just strain it and not save the chicken if you just want to drink the broth.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
You can also save cracked egg shells and add them to the stock--the shells have calcium, and the membrane that clings to the inside has additional glucosamine and chondroitin. (Of course that membrane is not present in the shells from hard-boiled eggs.) The shells don't add any flavor.

I usually simmer chicken and turkey bones for about 24 hours, beef bones for 3 days--then strain through cheesecloth, and boil the broth way down into a concentrate, and pour into a plastic pitcher with with sides that don't slope. After it gets cold in the fridge, you can scrape the layer of fat off the top. I run a dull knife around the inside of the pitcher, turn the big hunk of gelatin out onto a cutting board, and roughly slice it up into cubes. Then I separate the cubes so they aren't clumping together and set the board down in the freezor so that they can freeze separately--then they go into a plastic bag. When re-melted on the stove, you can add any amount of water, or fill it out with more meat flavor by adding canned broth. (Or you can add the cubes to gravies and what not.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Quote:
Sooooooooooooooo
I have search and it is very difficult to find it with out added sugar.
I will have to check out the broth at Costco.

I do really believe that the broth you make yourself is much better than anything you can buy. Yes, I do find it a bit of a hassle to make but a large batch will last you a long time frozen.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
i tried adding ACV last night and it made a HUGE difference in the flavour and consistency. The bones practically disintegrated from the vinegar. The ACV was smelly while the bones were cooking but once i added the other ingredients and it was done i couldn't taste any vinegar... the flavour was wonderful.
Tammy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote