Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Maybe a dumb question, and I am probably misunderstanding, but...are you guys using bones that people have actually eaten the meat off of? I don't mean cut the meat off, but eaten it off of?
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/242/150
WOE: LC and IF (5:2 or 4:3)
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
I cook my organic pasture fed bones in the crockpot for 3 days...on low...adding water as needed. It is totally gelatin when cooled and I add water when reheating to make it last longer. My biggest problem is getting a constant supply of bones from my local farmers. If I were able to get what I needed, we'd have the crockpot running continuously and would have it twice a day. Because of the lack of bones I don't have it daily and don't find any health improvements.
dipgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
Maybe a dumb question, and I am probably misunderstanding, but...are you guys using bones that people have actually eaten the meat off of? I don't mean cut the meat off, but eaten it off of?
I don't! I've only made broth twice now, and the first was from a turkey breast I had roasted. The second was from a chicken I roasted on Thursday and deboned. I made stock from that today.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #64
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Yes.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #65
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have a crockpot full right now.

I'm planning to make a batch or soup/stew with it. How much of the broth do you use? All of the liquid in the recpe? Half of the liquid? It's beef with carrots, celery, onion and garlic cooking in it.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MrsJackSprat
Stats: Next mini goal-325!
WOE: Atkins '72.
Start Date: Atkins, 2001/Atkins '72, 2-2-05
Speaking of chicken fat.................................

has anybody noticed that the fat that congeals on top of the cooked broth is a soft "sloppy" product? I remember when I was a young'un that the chix fat turned into a solid slab when it was cooled and it was so much easier to remove. I think they are feeding the chickens a different diet now-a-days!

btw....as many times as I've cooked broth, I've never heard of using an acid to leach the bones. I guess you can teach an "old dog" new tricks. thanks everybody.
MrsJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Sometimes--it boils for hours, so any chance bacteria that might have made it onto the bone from the diner's knife and fork are long gone.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I have been making mine since being back on LC. But, I start with raw chicken, usually throw in 2 breast, 2 legs, 3-4 thighs and some wings. Simmer in water with salt, pepper and a big hunk of butter for several hours. Then I strain off the broth, package that up for the freezer and pick the meat off the bones, and then package that up in 4 oz bags. To reheat the chicken, so it isn't dry, I put some butter in a skillet on medium heat and slowly reheat the chicken in it. Thinking I need to make some today.
Last night I made cream of chicken soup. 2 cups of the broth, 4 oz of the chicken pieces, about 3 T of butter, salt, pepper. Heat that good, then stir in 1 cup of HWC, and just bring that to a boil, don't let it sit and boil so as to not curdle the cream. I melted teh 3 T of butter and whisked in about 1 t of Xanthan gum to just thicken it a teeny bit, probably could have used more. It was delish!
This sounds delicious. So going to try it.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I haven't been able to make the broth into a gel using a whole chicken carcass. I'm going to stick to beef.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #70
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I cooked it all night (total of about 24 hours) and got up this morning and strained it. I got a quart plus a little bit. The bones didn't disintegrate, but the marrow all came out (it was beef shank, a pretty big leg bone). It was dark and fairly thick.

I put it in a mason jar, just because it was pretty (anyone who has ever canned anything knows what I am talking about) and took a picture to send to my friend that also makes bone broth. I drank the half cup or so that didn't fit in the jar. It tasted like the juice from the stew I make, only heartier. It totally took away my appetite for breakfast.

I put half the quart back in the crockpot with the meat I took off the bones yesterday and veggies for soup. I divied up the rest into five jars to take to work for afternoon "snacks" next week. My absolute downfall is coming home in the evening hungry. It wound up being about a half cup each of the straight broth, and I added another half cup of water to fill the jar.

I didn't have enough patience to wait and see if it gelled when it cooled. I'll see if the little jars do, but they are only half strength now.

Now I can't wait to make chicken bone broth!

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #71
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
After I took the meat off the roasted turkey Thursday, I put the pan juices and the carcass in a container and froze it to make bone broth.
Any tips?
I'm thinking of putting it all in the crockpot with enough water to cover, 1T bragg's vinegar and some chopped celery, carrot and onions. Cook on low(?) for around 24 hours?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
After I took the meat off the roasted turkey Thursday, I put the pan juices and the carcass in a container and froze it to make bone broth.
Any tips?
I'm thinking of putting it all in the crockpot with enough water to cover, 1T bragg's vinegar and some chopped celery, carrot and onions. Cook on low(?) for around 24 hours?
I made some in the crock pot with Thursday's carcass for about 24 hours. I only had celery and onion for vegetables to add to it. I put the onion in, quartered, with peels still on and it made a very rich color and tasting broth.

I'll never get to make soup with it, because I keep drinking it plain. It's quite satisfying to sip on.
EllaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #73
Administrator

Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
There are so many great ideas on here. Love the cream of chicken soup idea.
My son makes bone broths on the stove top. He likes to make a shrimp broth, and saves shrimp peels for this purpose.

I have this crock pot recipe that I intend to use soon. It suggests using any vegetables you have in the fridge, including green leek tops, shallots and celery leaves. I would add some garlic to this recipe.

Combine in crockpot:
2 lbs. chicken bones (three carcasses with wings)
2 onions, 3 ribs celery, 3 carrots, all coarsely chopped
10 sprigs of parsley, or parsley stems, 2 bay leaves and 1/2 tsp. peppercorns
Add: 12 cups cold water, cover and cook on low 12-24 hrs.

Strain through cheesecloth lined sieve, into large bowl. Press vegetables to extract liquid. Chill in fridge, and skim fat.
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Question for those making this in a crockpot. How large are your crockpots? I think mine must not be large enough, because I feel like with the bones and veggies in there, there wouldn't be enough room for very much liquid at all. I've always just done this on the stove, but the crockpot has its appeal so I want to try it out.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #76
Administrator

I am not sure. I have a standard sized one and an oblong one that holds about 2x as much.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I am not sure. I have a standard sized one and an oblong one that holds about 2x as much.
From what I'm seeing just googling, I think mine is smaller than a standard. Think I'll go hunt down some Cyber Monday deals on larger ones.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
From what I'm seeing just googling, I think mine is smaller than a standard. Think I'll go hunt down some Cyber Monday deals on larger ones.
I agree, I need a larger slow cooker myself for this broth adventure. An overloaded crock pot can explode. I had that happen. We added more meat for some extra guests, and the lid exploded up into the air. After that I re-read the directions, and found out that you should not load it more than 3/4 full. It was a new crock pot and I was going to return it, but evidently it was my fault. I have a few sizes, but now I need a bigger one for broth. I think a 6 qt. will do it.
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #79
Administrator

lol I had a rival one for about 20 years and it just gave up about 3 years ago
I'm sticking with that brand but the newer ones don't seem to be made as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Subbing! I am getting thirsty reading this thread...got to make some delicious broth SOON!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracymitch
Stats: 178/170/130
WOE: Very Low Carb
Start Date: 2005/2012/restarted 6/2014
So do you guys open up the bones and scrape out the marrow after you'Re done? My bones have been simmering a good 20hrs and the bones are soft and break easily.
tracymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #82
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I cooked it all night (total of about 24 hours) and got up this morning and strained it. I got a quart plus a little bit. The bones didn't disintegrate, but the marrow all came out (it was beef shank, a pretty big leg bone). It was dark and fairly thick.

I put it in a mason jar, just because it was pretty (anyone who has ever canned anything knows what I am talking about) and took a picture to send to my friend that also makes bone broth. I drank the half cup or so that didn't fit in the jar. It tasted like the juice from the stew I make, only heartier. It totally took away my appetite for breakfast.

I put half the quart back in the crockpot with the meat I took off the bones yesterday and veggies for soup. I divied up the rest into five jars to take to work for afternoon "snacks" next week. My absolute downfall is coming home in the evening hungry. It wound up being about a half cup each of the straight broth, and I added another half cup of water to fill the jar.

I didn't have enough patience to wait and see if it gelled when it cooled. I'll see if the little jars do, but they are only half strength now.

Now I can't wait to make chicken bone broth!
The little containers of half-strength never gelled, but the soup I made out of the rest of it did. I had a bowl for lunch today.

I started a pot of chicken bone broth this evening. How dorky is it that I think this is a lot of fun?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #83
Administrator

Quote:
I just saw this. For me: NO! The thought of it skeeves me out to no end. I use the carcass and bones that I've cut off, not once it's been handled or chewed on.

My turkey carcass and the leg/thigh have been in the crock since about 7pm last night, so almost 12 hours so far. DH says he kept waking up wondering what that smell was.... the dog is like "is that for me???"
I only have the bones, water, 1T vinegar, salt and pepper in it now -do I add veggies (onions, celery, carrots?) now for flavor, or wait until it has 2-3 hours left to cook?

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #84
Chatty Cathy

Dottie, I add everything at the start with the exception of the seaweed at the start. Don't forget a bay leaf or 2!!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
I have beef bones in the freezer from a pack of grass fed beef I bought from the butcher; I was wondering what to do with them. DH is sensitive to the smell of bones, though, so I'm wondering how it will be for him. I'm going to try the crockpot method.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #86
Chatty Cathy

Christine, be sure to roast the bones first!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Christine, be sure to roast the bones first!
Will do! Saw that as a suggestion: 375 for 20-30 minutes is my plan. LMK if you have different advice! And thanks!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I make chicken broth from the carcass/bones of a roasted chicken every week (with filtered water, bones, onion, and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar) and beef broth from beef soup bones or oxtail nearly every week (roasting the bones at 400 for 45 minutes before I put them in the soup pot, again with onion and apple cider vinegar and salt). There are lots of great benefits from homemade broth, including getting calcium and natural gelatin high in vitamins and minerals. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon emphasize how good bone broth is for your health, in their book "Nourishing Traditions." I find that roasting the bones first (e.g., using bones from a roast chicken after stripping off the meat) gives me the best results. I normally chill the broth and remove some of the fat that rises to the top before eating it, so it doesn't taste greasy.
How long do you simmer your broth? And how much water do you add when putting everything into the pot?

Last edited by Tilly; 11-27-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
How do you strain the broth? Do you use a cheese cloth?
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #90
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I will offer my expert opinion since I am now on my second batch......

I roasted shank bones (with meat) for an hour in the BBQ, the temp was about 350. Then I cut the meat off and put the bones in the crockpot for 24 hrs with ACV (about a tbls) carrot, celery, onion, garlic, s&p, a bay leaf and enough water to cover the bones plus an inch or so (I did add water occasionally as it cooked). When it was done and cool, I strained it through a cheesecloth in a mesh strainer.