Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Orange Chicken... Do you think this would work? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/788757-orange-chicken-do-you-think-would-work.html)

FitnessJunkie1026 11-08-2012 07:24 AM

Orange Chicken... Do you think this would work?

I have been using a recipe for sweet and sour chicken that we really love. I was wondering if it could be tweaked for orange chicken.

Sauce
3/4 cup splenda
4 tablespoons reduced sugar ketchup (i used linda sue even better heinz ketchup)
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
olive oil for searing chicken

What I am thinking might work is taking 1-2 tablespoons of a sugar free orange marmalade and 2-3 tablespoons of diet rite tangerine soda (splenda sweetened), pureeing it in the food processor to get the orange peel chunks smooth so its a similar consistency to ketchup and replacing the ketchup. Or should I keep some of the ketchup?

Any suggestions or even other orange chicken recipes would be great. I tried one recipe that was heavy on balsamic vinegar and we weren't really fans of it.

Thanks in advance guys!

Soobee 11-08-2012 10:49 AM

I have 3 recipes in my files.
Orange Chicken and Cauliflower Fried Rice Lindsey
4 or 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs chopped into bite sized pieces
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon of fresh grated orange zest
Juice of 1 large orange
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon Sriracha or any other chili garlic sauce
1 head of cauliflower, grated or processed until fine in a food processor
2 eggs, beaten
4 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro for garnish
In a medium sauce pan combine the orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce and Sriracha. Simmer over medium low heat to reduce and prepare the chicken and rice. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and liberally season both sides of your chicken with salt and pepper. Add your oil and chicken and cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Once the chicken is nice and brown turn the pieces over for cook for another 2 minutes then remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Return the skillet to the heat and add the cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper and add half of the chopped green onions. Cook for 5 minutes before stirring, again you want to develop a nice crust on the bottom. Cook for an additional 5 minutes then clear a small space in the center of the pan. Add the beaten egg to the cleared area and stir well to scramble. Once the eggs begin to set, stir in the rest of the cauliflower mixture until everything is well combined. Transfer to a serving bowl and return the pan to the heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken back into the pan. Pour over the reduced orange sauce and add the remaining green onions and cilantro. Stir until well combined and serve over top of the cauliflower fried rice.
Orange Chicken I Breathe I’m Hungry
2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup coconut flour
salt and pepper
3 Tbs. coconut oil
For the sauce
1 Tbs. ginger, chopped
1/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbs. fish sauce
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. orange extract
2 tsp. sweetener
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 Tbs. orange zest
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. sesame seeds
2 Tbs. scallions, chopped
Chop the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces. Combine the cornstarch and coconut flour in a medium sized bowl and season with salt & pepper. Add the chicken to the flour mixture and toss well until fully coated. Heat coconut oil in a large saute pan. Cook the chicken in small batches until golden brown and no longer pink. Remove the chicken to a plate or bowl. Meanwhile, combine the ginger, orange juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, orange extract, sweetener, water, and coriander in a blender or magic bullet - blend until smooth. Pour into a saute pan and cook until reduced by half. Add the chicken back to the sauce and stir to coat. Cook for about two minutes and then add the orange zest, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and scallions. Cook for another minute, then remove from the heat and serve garnished with more orange zest if preferred.
Orange Chicken Low Carb Boy
3 chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces.
2-3 tbs. coconut flour or carbquik baking mix
Orange Chicken Sauce to coat (recipe below)
Dust chicken pieces with flour and shake to coat. Preheat oil in deep fryer to 370F. Fry in batches till cooked through (roughly 4-6 min. per batch). Coat with approximately half orange chicken sauce from recipe below. Optional: sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Orange chicken sauce
1 can diet orange soda, splenda sweetened.
1/3 cup soya sauce
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ginger powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. orange extract
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
Bring one can of diet orange soda and soya sauce to a boil in a small sauce pan. Boil for 2-3 min. stirring constantly so it doesn’t boil over. Add seasonings. Let simmer ~5 min. Remove from heat and sprinkle in xanthan gum while whisking briskly to prevent lumps. Let sit to thicken.

FitnessJunkie1026 11-08-2012 10:56 AM

Thank you soobee!

ravenrose 11-08-2012 01:15 PM

I would use orange extract in another sweet sauce rather than using something as carby as the marmelade.

Barbo 11-08-2012 02:21 PM

Kent Altena's Orange Chicken

Kent is doing video's for Atkins Low Carb Cooking,
plus he is in Jennifer's "Low Carb Cooking Among Friends" Vol #1

I am not certain that Kent posted his recipe here?
You can do a search. We really enjoyed his version.
He made it for induction and for OWL...

Tweaker Geek 11-08-2012 07:27 PM

I second Kent's recipe, I made it from Vol. 1 also - it is very good!

dmburk 01-28-2013 03:11 PM

I made the sauce recipe in the first post. poured it over chicken tenders and baked til sauce thickened. It's very good.

dlk35 01-28-2013 04:12 PM

Kent has a video on youtube for the orange chicken....the title is Atkins Diet Recipes: Low Carb Chinese Orange Chicken ,made it a couple weeks ago.I was impressed

Mistizoom 01-28-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlk35 (Post 16225407)
Kent has a video on youtube for the orange chicken....the title is Atkins Diet Recipes: Low Carb Chinese Orange Chicken ,made it a couple weeks ago.I was impressed

I had no idea you could find low carb recipes on Youtube! Thanks!