Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
WOE: Atkins
Cook Book

Which one of Jennifer Eloff's cook books do you like best.I would like to get one.Can't choose
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
I had never heard of her until you posted this. I googled her and found an awesome mouthwatering chicken recipe thanks!
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I have the Low Carbing Among Friends compilation, volume one, which includes many of ear recipes. The organization isn't great, but the recipes and additional content are phenomenal!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
Start Date: 3/5/2012
I just got the Low Carbing Among Friends volume 1 and 2 this week. I haven't had a ton of time to look through them yet, but for me, they look better than the low carb cookbooks that I currently have.
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CurlyGirly
Stats: 212/199.0/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I have Low Carbing Among Friends Vol. 1 too. Lots of great recipes!
CurlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have ALL her cookbooks - I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite! Do you want largely dessert recipes, main dishes, or what?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I'm with you Charski. I have them all, too. I think I'd order Low Carbing Among Friends Vol 1 and 2. Can't go wrong there.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
Pretty much desert and breads.
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
You might want to try her Splendid Low Carbing Desserts book then - lots of goodies!

I love the two latest books too, the "Low Carbing Among Friends" vol. 1 and vol. 2 but they are NOT all Jen's recipes (heck even *I* have some recipes in those books! ) so if you want HER recipes, I'd google her name and Splendid Low Carbing and go right to her blog - you can buy any of her books that way.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Jen's LC Among Friends books are strictly gluten-free. There are indeed fabulous recipes in both Vol 1 and 2, but anything resembling 'regular' bread is decidedly absent.

FWIW, I was a huge baker in my pre-LC days and adapting to baking LC was quite daunting until I got Jen's books (I also have ALL of her books...including two that preceded her LC series). Using her recipes and techniques, I was finally able to bake a fabulous loaf of LC bread.

With that said, her very first book, Splendid Low Carbing is a great introduction to basic LC cooking and baking. There are desserts galore and many different breads that actually taste like bread (instead of damp sponges.) She has since dumped the soy flour...who hasn't?...and made a few changes in philosophy with every subsequent book. But subbing isn't that difficult: if the recipe calls for soy protein powder, just use plain protein powder; if a recipe calls for soy or spelt flour, just use oat flour, etc.

She has more info and plenty of recipes on her blog which you can locate by searching for Jennifer Eloff blog.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
dlk35, thank you for your query. I would say Splendid Low-Carbing if you can only get one book. Those books are going to be out of print one of these days. They go back to 1999! Folks, that is when, I think, this board came into being - perhaps in 1998. I have been a member from the start.

Thanks everyone! I am so blessed to have such cool friends on this board. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

Donna, thanks so much!! You know when I wrote Splendid Low-Carbing I was coming off of my old diet and I loved bread - I mean bread was a staple in my diet and I ate it every single day. Now, I rarely eat bread and frankly I simply don't miss it. As a result I have really been remiss in working on a gluten-free machine bread recipe. I'm sorry - I will do my best to come up with something low-carb and gluten-free (a challenge!) for volume 4. Volume 3 has wrapped up. To be fair there are a quite a few bread-like and bun items in Low-Carbing Among Friends 1 and 2 and 3 coming up (hey, not to forget Barbo's Onion Rye Bread (recipe and photos on lowcarbfriends.com) and Carolyn Ketchum has a family favorite -Cheddar Beer Bread!!), but nothing with yeast and no breads made in a bread machine. There are Jiffy Breads and ones made in the oven -all quite acceptable but not made with yeast. Ginny Larsen is getting very cute these days using nutritional yeast flakes to get that bread-like aroma. I think Netrition sells it.

Funny story, well not funny at the time re the development of recipes for Splendid Low-Carbing. I did use soy flour in my bake mixes and thus in the breads (tons of breads and some fancy ones too in this book as I sorely missed bread!). Right at the end of writing the book, and I mean when I was finished, Dana Carpender sent out her newsletter and she came out against soy quite strongly. I literally groaned. Then I went back to all the recipes (saving one or two) and gave alternatives for using soy flour (reformulated bake mixes). Ironically, the alternatives were actually nicer!

Nowadays, I think I would simply have used certified gluten-free oat flour or regular oat flour as Donna said instead of soy flour (not too many more carbs and much tastier and much healthier as oats lower cholesterol). Anyway, that's the story. I look back and marvel at the incredible energy it took to do all that...and how blessed I was that it did not take a huge toll on my weight other than the 8 lbs I put on with that cookbook (way too much bread, not to talk about the stress!). Yep, writing cookbooks can be fattening and as a cookbook author, I think I have kept a higher weight than I would have had I not been one. However, none of the subsequent books put much weight on me at all - not even the all-dessert cookbook which I wrote in 4 months flat because it was so much fun! It was amazing even with all the recipes I was creating. Low-carbing rocks!

My favorite recipe books and I agree with everyone here are the latest Low-Carbing Among Friends books. They are so much fun and the best really, as quite honestly, our collective talents are much stronger than that of one author. Incredibly, the Low-carbing Among Friends' section in vol. 2 is a very strong book - yep, that's people in the low-carbing community and, mostly, on this board who have wonderful talent and fantastic recipes!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Funny story, well not funny at the time re the development of recipes for Splendid Low-Carbing. I did use soy flour in my bake mixes and thus in the breads (tons of breads and some fancy ones too in this book as I sorely missed bread!). Right at the end of writing the book, and I mean when I was finished, Dana Carpender sent out her newsletter and she came out against soy quite strongly. I literally groaned.
That IS a funny story. And don't worry, Dana got a dose of that same thing just as her 500 LC Recipes was going to press. As she tells it, she had accepted recipe submissions from everywhere for quite a while and many used off-the-shelf, low-carb products. But by the time she and her team had finished making every recipe, weeding out the unsuitable ones, finishing the format, finding a publisher and finally getting the book to print...many of the LC products were no longer being sold! (It was like the "black days" of LCing...) So you see?...it can happen to anyone who is a specialty cookbook author!

But ya know...LCers are very resilient and VERY talented. And I am sure grateful for all of my 'bricks' of bread. Had I not been so persistent to locate a great mentor, I N-E-V-E-R would have found Jennifer Eloff's LCing series...and trust me, I have purchased just about every LC cookbook that has ever been published! All of those have since been donated, but my lovingly used, stained and marked-up copies of your books are used regularly (and proudly) in my kitchen.

dlk35: You can't go wrong with any of Jen's books!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I didn't know that about Dana's first book. That's rough! Yes, that can definitely happen and I was always aware of that when writing my books as there was one product that went out of circulation with my first 2 traditional, diabetic-style cookbooks; something that I used made by Weight Watchers for making whipped toppings.

Aaaw, Donna, you made my day!! You are such a good cook and baker, that that is just such high praise coming from you. Thanks, friend. I always feel humbled because I don't think of myself as the best cook or baker in the world kind of thing. I enjoy what I do and I like the challenge of the food chemistry thing and am always grateful when people like one of my recipes or cookbooks.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote