Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

I tinkered with a higher-carb recipe to come up with this for a neighborhood Halloween gathering last night. It turned out very well, no leftovers .

If you want to avoid the carbs or wheat altogether, you could skip the roux and just use a bit of oil to saute the veggies. But I think the roux is what gives gumbo it's distinctive taste and a little goes a long way. I tried to put this into Mastercook to get carb values, but the Carbalose flour nutrition info on Netrition is listed at 100 grams, and I have no idea how many grams are in 1/4 cup. I would say that this isn't an induction recipe with all the veggies and Carbalose, but it's definitely lower carb than most regular recipes. I got the idea to cook the roux in the microwave on these boards - I usually scorch it on the stove (not good). If you're a roux pro, then go ahead and make it in the pan.

I made rice to go along with it for the non-LCers. But I thought it was yummy just by itself. You could serve it over cauli-rice as well.

I used Aidells Cajun Style Andouille, which is 1 gr. carbs per link. Other brands of andouille may vary in carb count.

Enjoy!

Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

1/4 c olive oil, light, don't use extra virgin
1/4 c carbalose flour, or regular flour
1 med onion, diced
1 med green bell pepper, diced
2 lg celery ribs, diced
1 tsp paprika, sweet
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or more if you want it hotter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 ea bay leaves
1 lb chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
3 pcs andouille sausage, links, or use more if you like
15 ozs canned tomatoes, diced
1 ea chicken bouillon cube
10 ozs frozen okra, sliced

Prep work: Combine all the spices (paprika through bay leaves) in a small bowl; set aside. You can chop the veggies in the food processor to save time - I like them chopped fine, but you can use coarser pieces if you prefer. Cut chicken thighs into 1/2-inch pieces (kitchen shears work well for this.) Slice sausage into 1/2-inch slices.

Make roux: In a 2-cup Pyrex cup, cook olive oil and Carbalose flour for 3 minutes, stirring once or twice. Continue cooking, checking every 30 seconds, until mixture is the color of peanut butter. Transfer mixture to Dutch oven or large pot. Be careful as it's very HOT - there's a reason this stuff is called "Cajun Napalm".

Add onion, green bell pepper and celery to roux mixture; cook over medium high heat until veggies begin to soften. Add spices and cook 1 minute longer. Add chicken thighs and sausage slices; cook 2 minutes longer.

Add tomatoes, chicken bouillon, and about 2 cups of water to pot (some water will cook off - you want the final mixture to be thick like a stew.) Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add okra and cook an additional 20 minutes longer.

Remove bay leaves before serving. Season with salt to taste.

Although I haven't tried it, I don't see why this couldn't be cooked in a slow-cooker. Make the roux, then add everything to the slow cooker. You may need to adjust liquids as they don't evaporate as much.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Sounds GOOD, KC. I love gumbo with sausage. I just made a batch this week, in fact. About the only difference in my recipe and yours here is I add my Seafood Spice blend as well, and a little gumbo file right at the last 10 minutes of cooking.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Buttoni. I don't make gumbo often because hubby isn't fond of it, or anything soup. I was hoping there would be some leftovers for today's lunch, but no such luck!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
Oh, I love gumbo! And yeah, I do use a little real roux, because I figure the carbs are spread out over enough servings that it doesn't make enough impact to affect me. I use the filet at the end, too, like Buttoni. Gumbo and jambalaya are two of my favorite winter dishes, because they're so warm and comforting. And chili. And stew. And baked macaroni and cheese (woe is me! LOL Baked cauliflower with cheese will be my new version.)
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I tried to put this into Mastercook to get carb values, but the Carbalose flour nutrition info on Netrition is listed at 100 grams, and I have no idea how many grams are in 1/4 cup.

There are 28 grams in an ounce, and since 2 oz = 1/4 cup, 56 grams in a quarter cup.

Of course, grams are a measure of weight, and cups measure volume, so you have to be careful converting the two. Especially since the term "ounce" is used for both weight and volume. Grrrrrrr. Eight ounces of, say, lettuce will be significantly more than a cup, and a cup of molasses probably weighs more than eight ounces. That is one advantage to the metric system: grams measure weight and milliliters (or liters) measure volume.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
this sounds really good...I've never had gumbo before
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
I tried to put this into Mastercook to get carb values, but the Carbalose flour nutrition info on Netrition is listed at 100 grams, and I have no idea how many grams are in 1/4 cup.

There are 28 grams in an ounce, and since 2 oz = 1/4 cup, 56 grams in a quarter cup.
Thanks for the calculations. So, there are approx. 24 gr. carbs, 15 gr. fiber in 1/4 cup Carbalose. If you subtract the fiber for net carbs, this adds about 1 gr. carbs per serving (8 servings). Not bad!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Recipe is very similar to mine

Very good. I put beautiful shrimp in the last 5 minutes.
I also use red instead of green pepper but otherwise
it's pretty much the same. I made the last one and used the
Shirataki rice in our bowls. Thanks for reminding me how
much I love this dish.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Shrimp sounds like a great addition - I'll have to try it next time I make the gumbo. I'm glad you liked it!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
The gumbo is amazing. My house smells so good right now. I cut down the cayenne (can't handle the heat) and added shrimp (I live on the Gulf Coast). I also had to use regular flour because I don't have an Carbalose. It is so good!
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyl View Post
this sounds really good...I've never had gumbo before
Roux making is a fine art. Some people get it right off. Others spend years trying to make one without scorching it. One other tip from my aunt who has made gumbo for Christmas every year for the last 30+ years: wooden spoon. No idea why.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I made the roux in the microwave and it came out perfect. I can't begin to say how good this was!
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote