Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Low carb vegetarian

My DH has been a starch mouth for as long as we've been married (25 years in January). His weight has been going up, and he wants to try lowering his carbs. The problem is, he won't eat meat. Can you steer me to where I can find ideas for low carb vegetarian?
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Carby Cat

Gallery: Tazcat
You could start here

Vegetarian - Low Carb Friends
Tazcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazcat View Post
You could start here

Vegetarian - Low Carb Friends
Thanks, Taz!
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
My DD is a vegetarian and it can be difficult for a 'carboholic' to embrace a lifestyle that has been traditionally associated with meat eating. My suggestion would be to first back off of the OBVIOUS starchy foods: regular bread (sub LC bread), potatoes (sub fauxtatoes), rice (sub cauli-rice), pasta (sub zucchini noodles) as well as anything with honey or sugar. (I would suggest legumes and beans as well, but the protein, fiber and other nutrients would place those foods lower on the list of foods to avoid.) As you phase out those things, sub in more eggs and cheese (and if he eats it) fish. Just making these small changes may help him get started.

As far as cooking meals, always plan to have an extra vegetable, salad or vegetarian soup on hand. Make sure there is plenty of fat at each meal in the form of butter, coconut oil, olive oil, sour cream, cheese, salad dressings, etc. You will have to learn to be more creative because meat is not the focus of each meal. And because he is not eating meat, you should be able to take more liberties with the Atkins limits on cheese and cream.

Tofu can also be used to supplement meals, but everyone has to make their own judgments on whether or not to consume soy products. In our home, we limit soy products, but when we do eat it, it's always in the form of tofu that is organic and has been sprouted.

Place the emphasis on a more 'whole foods diet' rather than low carb. Hopefully this will make the transition easier.

HTH

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tofulover
Stats: 220/177/165 (at 6')
WOE: Vegetarian/Atkins
Start Date: March 2012
I'm a vegetarian, and I've been happily eating LC (less than 20 carbs per day) for 7 months. A typical day goes like this:

Breakfast: Whey protein shake or scrambled / poached / boiled eggs (depending on whether I'm home or not)

Lunch: Big salad (lettuce) with tofu or cheese or pumpkin seeds

Snack: Mini Babybel or similar cheese (sometimes with LC almond flax seed crackers)

Dinner: Spinach or Brokkoli or Mushrooms or similar, mostly as a casserole or quiche
Tofulover is offline   Reply With Quote