Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Peppered Bacon Cheese Bread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/786819-peppered-bacon-cheese-bread.html)

buttoni 10-18-2012 08:02 AM

Peppered Bacon Cheese Bread

I’ve been wanting to try out the Paleo Bread recipe on Elana’s Pantry blog and finally got around to it. But of course, I tweaked it up front, adding 3 flavor ingredients that turned it into a delightfully tasty breakfast! Hubby and I both liked this new morning treat. I did eliminate the honey in the original recipe, as I didn’t want any sweetness to the bread at all. I also increased the baking soda slightly and eliminated the salt entirely, as cheese and bacon have enough in them. Otherwise, the basic batter was the same as her version. Adding the peppered bacon and cheese makes this so delicious. This bread is not suitable until you reach the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL phase. It is suitable for Primal diners, if you eat occasional cheese. This will make up nicely as biscuits or muffins, as the crust is very nice on this bread. Muffins or biscuits will only take about 15-20 minutes to cook.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/004-30.jpg
INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. almond flour
2 T. coconut flour
¼ c. golden flax meal
1 3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. grated cheese
4 oz. lean bacon, chopped
Coarse black pepper
5 eggs, beaten
2 T. coconut oil, melted
2 T. olive oil
1 T. cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a loaf pan and set aside. My non-stick pan is non-standard 4½” x 2½” x 10. Here's a pic of it: http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/002-48.jpg
Measure all dry ingredients and cheese into a medium measuring bowl, stir and set aside. Chop bacon and brown in skillet with black pepper shaken all over it (I didn’t measure the pepper, but I’d guess about ¼ tsp. total). When bacon is done, set aside to cool a few minutes. While it cools, add all liquid ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir to blend. Add cooked bacon and stir one last time to blend bacon evenly throughout batter. Using a rubber spatula, scrape batter into greased loaf pan and pop into preheated oven for 30 minutes. Ovens vary, so check with toothpick test. Mine took an additional 5 minutes to get done in the center. Remove and cool in pan a few minutes. Run sharp knife around edges to loosen and tip out onto a cutting board. Slice into 10 servings and serve warm.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 large slices, each contains:

293.6 calories
26.0 fat
6.16 g carbs, 3.18 g fiber, 2.88 g NET CARBS
11.24 g protein
481 mg sodium
106 mg potassium

mirinblue 10-18-2012 09:36 AM

Yum...gonna make this for sure. Do you think it could stand up to drying into cubes for TG dressing? Thanks Pegggy

Nigel 10-18-2012 09:42 AM

That looks great. Thanks for the recipe.
It would be great for a quick breakfast. Yum!!

buttoni 10-18-2012 11:05 AM

I think so, MB. With 5 eggs in it, it is sturdy and not the least bit crumbly. The top, side and bottom crusts are kinda chewy, so it ought to make croutons quite nicely.

Yes, Nigel, only 20-30 minutes, depending on what shape you decide to make it up as. Loaves usually take quite a bit more time to to get done, so I'm all for 30 minute breakies.

bettycooker 10-18-2012 11:18 AM

I will try this. Love Elana's Pantry and I have her cookbooks. Looks like a great recipe for anyone that needs gluten free. Thanks for telling us it is good.

millergirl1976 10-18-2012 11:50 AM

Yum!!

pocahontas 10-18-2012 12:02 PM

Yum, sounds delish and what a great change of pace for breakfast! :D

mmorris 10-18-2012 01:06 PM

YUM :)

muffles 10-18-2012 02:43 PM

Wow, that looks delicious!

buttoni 10-18-2012 06:55 PM

Thanks everyone. And to let you know, I toasted a piece at lunch and even spread butter on it and it was VERY nice with with my big pot of Louisiana Kale and onions. BTW, the crust toasts better than the center part, MirinBlue. So you might want to make those croutons mostly out of the outer parts of the bread.

lonestarstamper 10-18-2012 07:43 PM

That looks so yummy....can't wait to try. Thanks for the recipe

KCSoccer 10-19-2012 05:53 AM

I'm looking forward to trying this - bacon and cheese, how can you go wrong? :)

Buttoni, I love your green bread pan. What brand is it? I love all things lime green (even my car is lime green!) Looking to further my obsession . . .

buttoni 10-19-2012 02:39 PM

Gee KC, I'm sorry I can't tell you. I stumbled on the green one and an even longer gold one at either Ross or Marshall's store (they're side by side here and I never remember which store I buy certain things in :) ). I just looked on the bottom of the pan for you and there is nothing imprinted on the bottom. I can tell you they were Italian imports as I remember the brand was Italian. This also came in an 8x8 square and a 9x13 cake pan. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I bought these because of their unusual narrower and longer size.

Hawkdog1 10-20-2012 09:55 AM

Try this

I made this recipe this morning for breakfast in my muffin top pans! Wow! Loved them this way - lots of crunch and good flavor.

Great recipe that would lend itself to many variations. I added a little chipotle Gouda today to make a full cup of cheese 'cause I didn't have quite enough cheddar. Yummy! Thanks for perfecting the recipe. Your recipes and site are GREAT!

buttoni 10-20-2012 01:49 PM

I see you're pretty new here, Hawkdog. WELCOME! BTW, My 89 y.o. Mom lives in San Antonio, at Air Force Village I.

I'm so glad you liked this recipe and my website. I keep it just recipes, so browsing is real easy. And the search engine there is good at finding recipes by ingredient or title.

I DO think this would be a great basic batter for other applications. Since I love, love, LOVE smoked gouda, I may have to try that next time. Thanks for that idea! The base is so nice in texture, I might even try a banana bread out of this bread sometime. I'm thinkin' maybe even spread out thinner in say a round cake pan for a quiche crust.

Hawkdog1 10-21-2012 08:09 PM

I rarely post, but I lurk daily! I've been inspired by you and so many others to eat well while lowering my carb intake. I have insulin resistance and have done very well with a shift to a low carb diet.

BTW, I live near your mom!

buttoni 10-22-2012 06:41 PM

Small world indeed. Well, I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes and I hope they help you get to your goal and beyond. When food tastes good it makes ANY plan easy to follow.

millergirl1976 11-04-2012 07:26 PM

I have tried a Lot of recipes from this site. I have tweaked and adjusted most of them. I baked this one exactly as you wrote it.

It is absolutely my favorite baked good ever!! The texture is divine, the flavor is wonderful. I am contemplating how to make this in to a sweet bread. Also, what about asiago and rosemary? I am in love! Thank you again!

buttoni 11-04-2012 08:16 PM

Asagio and rosemary sounds GREAT! For some odd reason, when toasted and buttered, this bread reminds me of cornbread both in texture and flavor. I'm thinking about making it without the bacon and cheese, adding some of my corn flavoring, cubing and toasting on a pan in the oven and seeing if it can't be used for cornbread stuffing at Thanksgiving. I'll let you know how that comes out if I try it instead of my Jicama Eggplant Stuffing recipe (which I had been planning of making, tentatively).

Ginaaaaaa 12-22-2012 04:42 PM

I just ate one while still warm and it was yummy. This is a great recipe. I can't wait to experiment with it and try different flavors. It will work for savory as well as sweet breads. I'm hoping it will work for stuffing as well.

Thanks for sharing Buttoni!!

rosethorns 12-22-2012 05:50 PM

Peggy looks wonderful. I can't beleive I missed it.

May I leave out the flaxseed? I'm allergic.

Ginaaaaaa 12-22-2012 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made mine in a muffin pan.

lynnport 12-22-2012 06:49 PM

I just made some today to use for my stuffing. I used butter instead of oil, poultry seasoning and mozzerella. It worked really well at Thanksgiving.

heidihomom 12-22-2012 06:59 PM

Looks wonderful! Thanks for posting this and the jalapeno cheese bread. MMMM! Can't wait to try both!!! I've been wanting to try Elana's bread recipe too, but I like your variations. :)

buttoni 12-23-2012 02:59 PM

Lovely muffins, Ginaaaa. I'm planning on trying it as muffins one day, too. Hubby has put in for the next version to be an olive bread. I think it will make up nicely as olive bread. :)

Ginaaaaaa 12-23-2012 03:25 PM

Olive bread sounds yummy. What kind of olives and cheese would you use?

buttoni 12-24-2012 06:31 AM

I'd probably leave the cheese out so the olives will dominate. I'd just use chopped regular, canned pitted black olives, Gina. I'm not so fond of Greek olives like DH. I might also add a pinch of onion powder to the olive bread when I make it.