Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Pork Chops with Calvados Sauce

I made this last night for dinner - the sauce was incredible! I served it with roasted delicata squash and a green salad. I have a large bottle of Calvados that will probably last the rest of my lifetime. Calvados is pretty expensive, so if you want to sub, I think brandy would work as well. The apple flavor in the sauce was very subtle. The recipe came from here.

Pork Chops with a Calvados Reduction Sauce

2 thick bone in pork chops
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 small shallot, minced
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon Calvados (Apple Brandy)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ cup whipping cream or half-n-half

Serves 2
Season each side of pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place pork chops in hot oil and brown both side. Remove and place on the rack on top of the baking sheet. (This pulls the excess grease away from the chops). Place in pre-heated 400º oven and baked until done, 20 minutes depending on thickness.
In same skillet that chops were browned, add in 1 tablespoon of butter and melt. Sauté shallots until soft then add in Calvados, flame and be careful not to get burned. After flame dies out reduce the liquid in half, then add mustard and cream and stir well to combine. The last five minutes of cooking time on the chops remove chops from the oven and return to the skillet with Calvados sauce and turn to coat chops and cook for 3-5 minutes turning to coat in sauce.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
sounds Lovely!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I have the Calvados in the house, so I could definitely try this. We have pork chops a lot and I'm always looking for new ways to fix them. Thanks for sharing here.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Oh my.
Oh wow.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
The ABC [liquor] stores in my town don't stock this stuff--only applejack, which [unfortunately because it has the more crackling, sonorous name] is "diluted" with grain alcohol. I'm going to inquire of a neighboring town's system to see if they carry any apple brandy. I've wanted to try it out as a source of real apple flavor for different things, and this sounds like a good recipe to start with.

I did some research and found two brands--Clear Creek White Label and Laird's--that have reputations as real bargains. (Supposed to be reasonably priced and good.)

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 10-18-2012 at 11:26 PM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
The ABC [liquor] stores in my town don't stock this stuff--only applejack, which [unfortunately because it has the more crackling, sonorous name] is "diluted" with grain alcohol. I'm going to inquire of a neighboring town's system to see if they carry any apple brandy. I've wanted to try it out as a source of real apple flavor for different things, and this sounds like a good recipe to start with.

I did some research and found two brands--Clear Creek White Label and Laird's--that have reputations as real bargains. (Supposed to be reasonably priced and good.)
I bought my bottle of Calvados about 7 or 8 years ago (probably for some Fall apple dessert.) The brand is Chateau du Breuil (French) and it cost somewhere in the range of $35 for 750ml. It will keep indefinitely in your cupboard.

But as I said in the original post, the apple flavor is subtle, so if you don't want the expense of buying Calvados, a regular brandy would be lovely in the sauce as well.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote