Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
I finally got to try this recipe. I borrowed a food processor to make almond meal out of the cheap almonds I have in my freezer. So I followed the directions and used a food processor to do the mixing, added boiling water, then used an ice cream scoop to form 8 rolls. Baked on parchment for 45 min. They are very bread like. Just a little grainy from the chunky almond meal. The flavor isn't great, but I think adding some seasoning would improve that. And they are kinda small. Next time I'll make 5 or 6 out of the batch.

dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I finally found some good P Husk at my local Natural Grocery store, no sand grit.

I have found that 3 "REAL" egg whites work best in this recipe. You get a nice big soft roll and bread like in feel and looks.

Cooking time for 6 rolls for me was 40 minutes, 65 was too long. I have one problem with this bread, it feels, looks like bread, but when you eat it- it has a slimmy mouth feel just like when you use too much xanthan gum.

I will try it as pizza to see if that slimmy mouth feel goes away, but otherwise, I may stop making it. This sadden me, because it is as close to real in every other way.

Debbie....
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Has anyone tried making a yeasted version of this bread? I'm experimenting with it. My first batch is cooling, so I'll report back on the taste, texture, mouth feel, etc.

The first batch I made did not rise well at all. My baking powder is not old, so I figured it must be the grain size of my homemade almond flour. To get my almond flour finer, I threw all the dry ingredients into my food processor with my serrated S blade, and added 2 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten. Then I processed all just until I noticed the almonds start to clump, then immediately stopped.

I threw the dry ingredients into a large bowl, then added the eggs and stirred til combined. Then I dumped on the boiling water and about a tablespoon of olive oil. I stirred briskly to develop the gluten until the dough was cool enough to add the dissolved yeast, which I then added, then I continued to stir briskly to mix all together.

Earlier I had combined a teaspoon of yeast with about a tablespoon of water. I allowed that to sit so the yeast could dissolve.

One thing I notice that I'm want to change is the browning of the rolls. They are getting too brown, and I tried reducing the heat to 325. They are still too brown. I bake in a wood cookstove, which acts like a convection oven, so that may have something to do with it. I'll try 300 degrees next time. Mine are done baking in about 20 minutes.

I had formed the rolls and let them rise for 25 minutes, but I don't think they did rise at all. I will try a tablespoon of yeast next time, because they don't smell yeasty either.

They did rise much better this time. At least that part is a success. The only difference with this batch was processing the almond meal with the other dry ingredients to get it even finer.

The rolls are much softer also. When I lightly press on the tops, they spring right back. My first batch was hard and quite firm. The texture appears to be much improved already, but I haven't cut one open and tasted it yet.

Last edited by miboje; 02-13-2013 at 09:37 AM..
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I think Maria said that homemade almond flour was too wet for this recipe. I don't think the yeast will cause this type of bread to rise because yeast needs gluten to rise, while adding VWG may help, the small amount you used probably won't have any effect.

I used yeast in a pizza recipe that I low carbed using ouizoids flour mix which has no rise time and did taste the yeast which was nice. I think adding yeast to low carb bread can give the taste but as far as improving the texture or rise I don't think it will do much.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

I think you are right about the rising, Ginaaaaaa. I'd have to add some other flour to it. This isn't my first time playing around with low carb yeast bread, and it's always a challenge. Even if all I can get is the yeasty flavor, that would still be a benefit to me.

I don't have the stuff yet to make Ouizoid's flour mix yet, so I'm toying around with this one. Here is a pic of my first and second batch for comparison:

Last edited by miboje; 02-13-2013 at 10:47 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Mine look like your right ones. They turned out hollow two times, and slightly raw inside. I cooked them as long as she said too... I liked the taste of them, so I wish I could make them perfectly!
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
Mine look like your right ones. They turned out hollow two times, and slightly raw inside. I cooked them as long as she said too... I liked the taste of them, so I wish I could make them perfectly!
Hmmm....Mine have not come out hollow. Not sure why that would happen.

My method of getting my homemade almond flour finer has made a difference as can be noted by the pics. They did not rise more, unfortunately, but I will continue to work on that. I will not be using a microwave, only my oven. I don't know if they are rising well for others because they are using the micro to cook them.

I took my time shaping them this time, which I guess you aren't supposed to do. Last time I tried to work quickly and just made them into gobs.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

The dough got quite lumpy when I added the water, so I guess that's why it got hollow. I might use my kenwood machine next time and get it really well blended. Perhaps use almond flour instead of meal as well. I think it was meal I used before.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
The dough got quite lumpy when I added the water, so I guess that's why it got hollow. I might use my kenwood machine next time and get it really well blended. Perhaps use almond flour instead of meal as well. I think it was meal I used before.
I was thinking they came out hollow for some because they over mixed it but now I'm thinking they under mixed it because of your comment. The dough shouldn't be lumpy, it should be a smooth batter. You want all the water mixed into the dough and it will be one big clump, I use a fork to mix the egg and water in. Then I usually take a cookie scoop and plop them onto the muffin pan or cookie sheet.

I've never had them come out hollow but I know the method of adding the flour to hot water and then after beating the eggs in is the technique used to make cream puffs, the opposite from the way these rolls are made, so I'm not quite sure why these would come out hollow for some, other than under mixing or over mixing.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Well, I did mix mine quite a bit to try and develop the gluten, so I'm leaning toward the cause maybe being under mixing rather than over mixing. I beat it together pretty good with a spoon after adding the boiling water and again after adding the softened yeast to ensure full distribution.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, you guys are so clever! I don't know what I would have done without this forum. Love!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
[QUOTE=Yaz;16231861]The boiling water is KEY! It makes all the difference.

I started using that method on a psyllium husk loaf bread recipe that I make and it made it sooooooooo much better. The bread rose much higher and was not as dense.[/

What is your bread recipe? Can you post?
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
The boiling water is KEY! It makes all the difference.

I started using that method on a psyllium husk loaf bread recipe that I make and it made it sooooooooo much better. The bread rose much higher and was not as dense.
Yes please share your recipe with us!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #254
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I made these today Gina and they are now cooling. I read this whole thread and looked at her video. This is the best they ever looked . I'm letting them cool before I cut them.This is my fourth time trying to make them.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #255
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Yes please share your recipe with us!
I'll post it in a new thread so that it doesn't confuzzle folks!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I made these today Gina and they are now cooling. I read this whole thread and looked at her video. This is the best they ever looked . I'm letting them cool before I cut them.This is my fourth time trying to make them.
Awesome Esther!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I'll post it in a new thread so that it doesn't confuzzle folks!
Oops, Good idea!!

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #257
Blabbermouth!!!

This is the best they have come out. Beautiful color and I seaoned mine.

Yaz I have made your bread alot. Yummy.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
alrighty... just popped these in the oven!!!
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made a batch of these over the weekend, they came out great - high rise and a beautiful texture. I toasted one and had a tuna sandwich for lunch today.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Ok...I'm about 1 for 3 on this bread...although I am trying to make it as a loaf, french bread style, not in a loaf pan(I know Maria say that it doesn't always turn out as a loaf)...I am calling on all the baking minds here to see what we can do to get a more consistent loaf with no bubble...come on ladies this stuff makes the most awesome grilled sandwiches when the loaf turn out...but it's been a crapshoot as to why it only sometimes turns out.
There has to and ingredient we can add or a factor we can alter to get this right.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Ok...I'm about 1 for 3 on this bread...although I am trying to make it as a loaf, french bread style, not in a loaf pan(I know Maria say that it doesn't always turn out as a loaf)...I am calling on all the baking minds here to see what we can do to get a more consistent loaf with no bubble...come on ladies this stuff makes the most awesome grilled sandwiches when the loaf turn out...but it's been a crapshoot as to why it only sometimes turns out.
There has to and ingredient we can add or a factor we can alter to get this right.
Other than making sure the water is boiling and mixing the egg and water in well, I really have no idea what it could be.

I've made this bread about 7 or 8 times and never have any problems with it bubbling. I just use a fork and mash the eggs in really well then poor the boiling water in and use the fork to mix it all in until it looks like a dough.

I'm sorry your having such a hard time with it, I wish I had a better answer for you, but that's all I can think of.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Is it just me or is anyone else noticing the slimmy mouth feel from the P husk? I have no problems making this bread, it turns out very pretty. It looks like a regular loaf or rolls. I even tried the pizza last night , thinking if maybe flatter it wouldn't have that slimy mouth thing. It had the same slime as the rolls, came right through the cheese toppings etc.. I just was wondering if you all are having this issue too.

Debbie....
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Other than making sure the water is boiling and mixing the egg and water in well, I really have no idea what it could be.

I've made this bread about 7 or 8 times and never have any problems with it bubbling. I just use a fork and mash the eggs in really well then poor the boiling water in and use the fork to mix it all in until it looks like a dough.

I'm sorry your having such a hard time with it, I wish I had a better answer for you, but that's all I can think of.
i think the problem is that i am trying to make a loaf for grilled sanwich size bread and the dough isn't working well for this ....The rolls aren't a problem...i just need some bigger slices. I thought maybe the creative minds here could throw some ideas my way in the art of baking with these ingredients.

And to the post above...i find toasting thr bread helps. I haven't had any slimy texture even when i made french bread pizza with it. Maria has arecipe just for crust...just google marias most excellent pizza crust.

Last edited by lterry913; 02-22-2013 at 08:12 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Debbie, I notice it too. The texture of the pizza dough is OK, because I roll that nice and thin. But for the rolls, I alway toast them to make them drier.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Yup definitely has the slime factor! I toast it also for that reason. I'm going to try this recipe with the BTF mix at some point and see if that takes some of it away.

I've made the pizza crust using the BTF mix and its not slimy.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-23-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #266
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yup definitely has the slime factor! I toast it also for that reason. I'm going to try this recipe with the BTF mix at some point and see if that takes some of it away.

I've made the pizza crust using the BTF mix and its not slimy.
The pizza crust is great with the Better than Flour mix. Rolls ok. I really like Yaz's bread and I have to change the flax. Yummy.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made more of these today, they always come out really good for me. I mix everything together in my food processor. I have one question though, do you keep them in the fridge or will they stay good at room temp for a few days to a week? I usually keep them in the fridge and toast before using, just wondering if they'd keep the crusty outside if kept at room temp, by putting in the fridge they seem to soften quite a bit.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #268
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PMcmil5450
Could someone point me to the BTF (Better than Flour) mix? So many replies in this thread and it's been hard for me to keep track of who used what recipe! I didn't have great luck with Maria's pizza crust so I thought I'd check out the pizza crust that was mentioned that uses the BTF mix. Thanks
Pam
PMcmil5450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #269
Blabbermouth!!!

Pam it is great. Taste just like pizza dough in your mouth. Yum.
I could go on and on about that pizza.

Here is the recipes we all have come up with that Gina put on this thread.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

Here is the orginal thread that Ouizoid invented the mix. Very long thread but wonderful.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

I should have done this one first, because there is a link for the recipes. You'll love it Pam.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Btw, Maria answered one of my posts and stated that she too had trouble with the bubble...haha..rhymes. She said she got new psyllium and had to reduce amount used to 2 tbs. She thinks that different batches of psyllium may just be more potent than others even if the same brand. So I guess if anyone is having trouble reduce psyllium amount by a lot and see what happens and go from there.