Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #211
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Would 53 grams of egg whites be equal to 1 egg white? I think 10 grams of protein powder is equal to a tbsp. I bet the protein powder would take away some of the moisture. I may try your version next. Thanks!
53g egg white is about the equivalent of 1 large egg.

Good luck! Let us know how they turn out for you. I've gotten lazy and haven't made them lately as I tweaked a microwave recipe to make buns/bread much faster and with lower calories & carbs.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
53g egg white is about the equivalent of 1 large egg.

Good luck! Let us know how they turn out for you. I've gotten lazy and haven't made them lately as I tweaked a microwave recipe to make buns/bread much faster and with lower calories & carbs.
Where could one find this microwave recipe?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #213
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Oat Fibre Buns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Where could one find this microwave recipe?

Hopefully this will work.

I just kind of whipped these up through trial and error so feel free to tweak to your hearts content! :0)

Ingredients:
3 tbsp Oat Fiber 500
1/2 tbsp Golden Flax Meal
35g Simply Egg Whites - lately I've been using 53g to make a "higher" bun.
10 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored - DO not use an Isolate unless you can stand the taste they leave behind. If you can't find whey concentrate you could use Pea Protein or another unflavoured protein that is truly tasteless. I just discovered that the whey concentrate I have been using is too low in protein so I'm going to switch to pea protein isolate. I have NOT tested it yet though.
3 + tbsp Water
1/2 tsp Magic Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Konjac Glucomannan Powder - you can omit this if you'd like.

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl, add egg white and 3+ tbsp of water (enough to make a runny dough consistency).
Put batter in 1 larger or 2 smaller microwave safe containers liberally sprayed with non stick spray.

Microwave for 1-2.5 minutes (the smaller ones need about 1 min 20 seconds in my microwave) Gently take the "bread" out of the container and toast to "dry" it out.

It's very delicate when first out of the container. I imagine you could let it sit on a wire rack to set up if you don't want to toast it. If you use 53g of egg whites, it's not as delicate.

I like to add a dash of salt and 1/2 tsp of splenda. They are really nice with butter on top! :0)

I use these containers to make the smaller rolls.

For larger ones, I find it easier to use pyrex bowls.

Just out of the container.

After 10 minutes in the toaster oven, I should have taken it out a few minutes earlier.

Slice bun and toast slices for a few minutes.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Hopefully this will work.
Thank you! Oat fiber and glucomannan are in my netrition cart right now...guess it's time to place the order! Already have the golden flaxseed meal.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
10 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored -
what would the measuring spoon measures be for these two items? All the other ingredients seems to have the standard measure in the recipe? or do you weigh these two ingredients on a food scale?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
53 grams = 3.5 Tbsp
35 grams = 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp
10 grams = 2 tsp

HTH
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

thanks, I was thinking the same but wasn't sure if they were weighed for a special reason.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #218
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
what would the measuring spoon measures be for these two items? All the other ingredients seems to have the standard measure in the recipe? or do you weigh these two ingredients on a food scale?
I use a food scale. 53g is the equivalent of a large egg. You can use a "real" egg, I use whites as I try to keep my calories low.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
These rolls look really good. What a difference toasting them makes.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #220
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
These rolls look really good. What a difference toasting them makes.
Toasting them makes all the difference!

If I want them a bit sweeter I add sweetener or for savoury I'll add whatever seasonings I feel like. These ones posted have a few sunflower seeds in them with italian seasoning.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I thought about doing that as well. Then I realized it doesn't matter because I'm out of almond flour
It is important to follow her recipe exactly...she says not to use Bob's Red mill almond flour and o make sure the water is actually boiling...this bread does not turn out good in a loaf pan...it needs the heat all around to rise.

I have a convection oven and baked at 350 with convection on and it turned out excellent.

She has a video about 2 min long if you visit her site.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #222
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
It is important to follow her recipe exactly...she says not to use Bob's Red mill almond flour and o make sure the water is actually boiling...this bread does not turn out good in a loaf pan...it needs the heat all around to rise.

I have a convection oven and baked at 350 with convection on and it turned out excellent.

She has a video about 2 min long if you visit her site.
The boiling water is KEY! It makes all the difference.

I started using that method on a psyllium husk loaf bread recipe that I make and it made it sooooooooo much better. The bread rose much higher and was not as dense.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #223
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
These look wonderful.Flaxmeal may I change that to blanched almond flour? I'm allergic to flax.

Last edited by rosethorns; 01-31-2013 at 01:50 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #224
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
These look wonderful.Flaxmeal may I change that to blanched almond flour? I'm allergic to flax.
I'm sure you could, or you could just eliminate it entirely and use all oat fibre.

FYI, I just made one with Pea Protein Isolate and it was much moister than the whey one's. I nuked it for an extra minutes (3.5 min total) but will increase that to 5 minutes next time.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I made them first with 2 eggs. They were hollow and slightly raw inside. I made them again with 3 egg-whites like she says on her site now. I had problems mixing it all together after I added the hot water :/ so they turned out hollow again!

Any tips? 2 eggs, 3 egg whites? Should I use a blender or food processor or will that ruin it?
alonewithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
I made them first with 2 eggs. They were hollow and slightly raw inside. I made them again with 3 egg-whites like she says on her site now. I had problems mixing it all together after I added the hot water :/ so they turned out hollow again!

Any tips? 2 eggs, 3 egg whites? Should I use a blender or food processor or will that ruin it?
Did you watch her video? It does help...I did exactly as she did...poured boiling water right outta pan and into bowl blended with hand mixer til it tuned into a dough ball and quickly put it in oven...I tried not to mess with the dough too much. But in her video she makes all kinds of shapes and such and they turn out...I do have a convection oven but I don't think that should make a difference.

I used 3 large egg whites and honeyville blanched almond flour...I got my psyllium at walmart...it was 100 percent psyllium husk powder.

I know this may sound weird but I wonder if it matters what kind of bowl is used...I used a plastic mixing bowl the first time and my bread flopped. I used a stainless the next time and it was fine. She uses a glass bowl in her video...I wonder if my water was actually boiling the first time as I heated it in microwave and not stove top.

She did say if you get that big buble to try cooking at a lower temp for a bit longer time.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #227
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I mix mine in a ceramic bowl and use boiling water right off the stovetop.

I don't have a hand mixer so I just use a silicone spatula to mix it.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #228
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Did you watch her video? It does help...I did exactly as she did...poured boiling water right outta pan and into bowl blended with hand mixer til it tuned into a dough ball and quickly put it in oven...I tried not to mess with the dough too much. But in her video she makes all kinds of shapes and such and they turn out...I do have a convection oven but I don't think that should make a difference.

I used 3 large egg whites and honeyville blanched almond flour...I got my psyllium at walmart...it was 100 percent psyllium husk powder.

I know this may sound weird but I wonder if it matters what kind of bowl is used...I used a plastic mixing bowl the first time and my bread flopped. I used a stainless the next time and it was fine. She uses a glass bowl in her video...I wonder if my water was actually boiling the first time as I heated it in microwave and not stove top.

She did say if you get that big buble to try cooking at a lower temp for a bit longer time.
I used microwave water also and I think that was my problem. I have more honeyville now. Try again.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I always microwave my water until it boils and I used a glass bowl but I don't think it really matters if you microwave the water or what kind of bowl you use because ive used a plastic bowl and stainless bowl. I pour the water in and just mix it by hand until all the water is mixed in and it looks like a dough. Here's a pic of my pizza dough which is pretty much the same thing as this dough. The only difference is the protein powder and Parmesan cheese.

The first pic is after the eggs are added and the second is after i added the boiling water. I mix it by hand using a fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_1-1.JPG (40.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2-1.JPG (40.6 KB, 51 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/150.9/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Ingredients:
3 tbsp Oat Fiber 500
1/2 tbsp Golden Flax Meal
10 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored - DO not use an Isolate unless you can stand the taste they leave behind. If you can't find whey concentrate you could use Pea Protein or another unflavoured protein that is truly tasteless. I just discovered that the whey concentrate I have been using is too low in protein so I'm going to switch to pea protein isolate. I have NOT tested it yet though.
3 + tbsp Water
1/2 tsp Magic Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Konjac Glucomannan Powder - you can omit this if you'd like.
Have you tried it with Pea protein yet? And how much is 10 g?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Quote:
FYI, I just made one with Pea Protein Isolate and it was much moister than the whey one's. I nuked it for an extra minutes (3.5 min total) but will increase that to 5 minutes next time.
**Note the longer baking time and wetter result

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
53 grams = 3.5 Tbsp
35 grams = 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp
10 grams = 2 tspHTH
see above
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #232
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I always microwave my water until it boils and I used a glass bowl but I don't think it really matters if you microwave the water or what kind of bowl you use because ive used a plastic bowl and stainless bowl. I pour the water in and just mix it by hand until all the water is mixed in and it looks like a dough. Here's a pic of my pizza dough which is pretty much the same thing as this dough. The only difference is the protein powder and Parmesan cheese.

The first pic is after the eggs are added and the second is after i added the boiling water. I mix it by hand using a fork.
Gina thanks for the 2 bowls that is helping me. I am going to try again.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #233
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post

I tried again with Pea Protein and I'm not happy with the result in this "bread/roll" type application. It's GREAT for cakes/brownies, it makes them really nice and moist.

I found a better whey concentrate yesterday and tested it out today. It worked just as well as the crappy stuff I had been using.

You can omit the protein powder entirely, the roll just won't rise as high and won't brown as much in the toaster oven but the texture is the same. Or you can use skim milk powder which has the same stats as the whey I had been using and the roll should rise up nicely (I have not tested this though.)

The elimination of whey will drop the calories to practically nil for a large satisfying bread roll!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

I made this into flat bread and made a chicken and bacon sandwich with it, and it was very tasty!! I baked it for about 10 minted at 350, then I turned the oven down to 250 and baked for another 15-20 minutes and it came out dry and toasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #235
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I made this into flat bread and made a chicken and bacon sandwich with it, and it was very tasty!! I baked it for about 10 minted at 350, then I turned the oven down to 250 and baked for another 15-20 minutes and it came out dry and toasty.
That looks yummy! I'll have to try that next time I make them!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

It was pretty thin, but I liked it that way, no wetness or soggy bread this way and it held together great while eating it.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #237
Blabbermouth!!!

I have Yaz"s bread in the toaster oven now.

I had my first peanutbutter sandwhich after I toasted it. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-08-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #238
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad you liked it Esther.

I've been using that recipe (with the addition of 2 extra tbsp of Oat Fiber) as a pizza crust for the past couple of days. I also add some nutritional yeast and garlic powder to the mix.

I just spray an 8 x 8 square pan and pour in the batter (it's runny but not totally liquidy if that makes sense) I bake it for 20ish minutes at 300 in my toaster oven.

Take it out of the pan and put it back into the toaster oven and toast it for a few minutes. Once it's nicely toasted on bottom I put on the toppings and put it under the broiler for 10 minutes.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #239
Blabbermouth!!!

I love it. I keep teasing my sister about this.

Now a Pizza. Yum!!! Can't wait........
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Barbo, if you look up and go to Maria's blog, she has a video making these, to explain it a little better. It's not long,a couple of minutes or so.
I just had my first fail with this bread and it was because I removed it from the oven before the time she said to bake for...don't take it out early because it looks or feels done...cook it as long as Maria says to.

I let it cool in oven with door cracked, and oven off before transferring to wire rack this time and this worked well for my second loaf.

This bread made the most beautiful and delicious grilled cheese today.