Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I make these rolls all the time now, but I do not like them wet. I can taste the psyllium then, and I'm not too fond of that flavor. But if you split the rolls and toast them, you can fool yourself into thinking it is real bread. Just remember to toast it, not to nuke it for best flavor.
I like them toasted as well. This morning I cut a roll into thirds for thinner rounds and toasted on low a few times until they were lightly toasted and dryer. I then put butter and sf jam on them to have with my eggs and bacon.

I'm going to make some almond butter bread today for my daughter because she's wanting me to make it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.0 KB, 56 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #182
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Diana, yes, they've held their shape, but I haven't tasted them again yet. I will try the toasting trick.

Gina, I love the almond butter bread, I made "bagels" out of it using my new donut pan and have made buns before, too.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
So my psyllium powder finally arrived today, 4 days late (thanks, Amazon Prime ). However the warning label on it has made me scared to use it. I want to make the healthified sub rolls but I am afraid it is going to clog up my whole system. Please talk me down!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #184
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
So my psyllium powder finally arrived today, 4 days late (thanks, Amazon Prime ). However the warning label on it has made me scared to use it. I want to make the healthified sub rolls but I am afraid it is going to clog up my whole system. Please talk me down!
I've had three of the rolls I made out of the recipe to no ill effect. I had a cheeseburger, a tuna and cheese, and an egg/sausage/cheese. On three different days. I got six rolls out of the recipe. I don't think I would have more than one in a day. And it's not "clogging" I would worry about, it's the other
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #185
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I take psyllium every day in capsule form to keep things moving. Doesn't bother me at all. I don't cook with it, but very soon I will be making these rolls. I don't think you will have any issues whatsoever with using it for cooking.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't had any issues with these rolls, but I make sure to drink plenty of liquids, which isn't a problem for me considering I drink water all day, almost to the point of drowning myself lol. I really have to remind myself not to drink too much of it sometimes.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terrintrace
Stats: 210/195/165
WOE: just low carb
I'm making these right now! I was very excited about how they looked. I used coconut flour, Walmart brand Metamucil ( much cheaper), 2 drops of sweetzfree, and a tsp. of corn flavoring. I am hoping they turn out great & will post a picture when they come out of the oven. Also I just hand mixed everything. Dry ingredients then eggs then boiling water. They were kind of elastic but were easy to form. I got 6 rolls and 1 hotdog bun.Just peeped in the oven and they look great!!
terrintrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Just a note: I looked at the ingredients of the Walmart brand metamucil in the store the other day and they are psyllium and sucrose. I don't know how much sucrose is in there, the carb count wasn't high, but just FYI.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Finally made these with coconut flour, as almond flour products tend to sit like a lead balloon in my stomach!

They came out pretty good for a first try. I used NOW Brand psyllium husk powder (plastic bottle with orange label) and didn't notice any grittiness. The color was a little dark - kind of like whole wheat, which I always used to use so I don't mind it. I made 6 rolls and I cooked them for 55 minutes, next time I will try the full 65 minutes becuase they did sink in a bit on the bottom and they had spots inside that didn't seem fully cooked. But they tasted pretty good, and the texture was good. They really are almost exactly like the Julian Bakery coconut paleo bread but in roll form. I liked these better because of the nice crustiness of the outside. I calcuated about 12.3 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 3.3 g net carbs each for 6 rolls.

Top:

Bottom:
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Lovely, Misti!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Those look beautiful, Mistizoom! I want to try these again, but I don't want to use up all of those expensive ingredients if they are going to sink. That has been my experience with both batches that I have made. Maria suggests cooking them longer (I think she has a convection oven, doesn't she? Those tend to cook things faster than a conventional oven, I think). Did the fact that the bottoms caved in a little affect how they tasted or the texture?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Those look beautiful, Mistizoom! I want to try these again, but I don't want to use up all of those expensive ingredients if they are going to sink. That has been my experience with both batches that I have made. Maria suggests cooking them longer (I think she has a convection oven, doesn't she? Those tend to cook things faster than a conventional oven, I think). Did the fact that the bottoms caved in a little affect how they tasted or the texture?
Inside they looked a bit "wet" or "gummed up" in spots near the bottom, so I think the caving in was because those spots weren't fully cooked. It didn't really affect it too badly, the bottom part of the bun was a little tougher/chewier though. I do have a convection oven, I didn't realize that might help. I can try that next time. I ate one yesterday and today, plus DH had one. I'm putting the rest in the freezer, so it might be a while before I make them again.

ETA: I did make them with all egg whites. I used 1 cup of liquid egg whites from a carton for the coconut flour recipe. I didn't want to use up all my pastured eggs on these. Also, in reading the other comments, I think I may have spent too much time worrying about shaping them. Next time I'll just slap some dough on the pan. I did use a dark non-stick muffin top pan. Not sure if that affected anything or not. Might use a regular baking sheet next time as they didn't come anywhere near filling the muffin top pan sections. Also, after sitting a day in a ziploc bag on the counter they still tasted very fresh, but the whole thing was pretty soft - if you want a crusty crust I guess you need to eat them the same day.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 01-13-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becky7474
Stats: 284.5/200/170
WOE: IF, Atkins '72
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Metamucil Can't find the powder here....
becky7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becky7474
Stats: 284.5/200/170
WOE: IF, Atkins '72
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Made some hamburger buns today. Best recipe I have tried. When she says don't substitute, she means it.....
becky7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I made these and shaped a couple like hot dog buns. Turned out pretty good.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I love these buns, but when I ran out of my old psyllium husk (baggie, no name). I went to Sprouts and got some in bulk, the new buns have that grit taste. What brand is best for the no grit?

Note: For those who do Paleo, or primal, Natural grocers has psyllium seed powder. My son who does primal, says he can have this but not the husk. I made him some rolls last night with it. They can out purple, but looked just like the others. The dough was lumpier, so that was different. He is happy to have buns with his hamburger.

Debbie....
Tater Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Has anyone tried the calzone recipe she posted in the last few days? I'm assuming it'll be good since it's basically the sub recipe.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
Has anyone tried the calzone recipe she posted in the last few days? I'm assuming it'll be good since it's basically the sub recipe.
On my to-do list. I bought the Jay Robb psyllium husk and can grind it if necessary. Had to order it through Whole Foods, but they can sell you just one bag of it, don't have to get a carton.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I have been lurking on this thread for a while, just waiting until I could get over to Whole Foods for some psyllium husk fiber. I got the NOW brand in the jar, but I haven't made the rolls yet. When I do, I will post my experience with it, good or bad. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm expecting a flop. We'll see.

I have some questions/comments based on things I've already read.

Quote:
Inside they looked a bit "wet" or "gummed up" in spots near the bottom, so I think the caving in was because those spots weren't fully cooked. It didn't really affect it too badly, the bottom part of the bun was a little tougher/chewier though. I do have a convection oven, I didn't realize that might help. I can try that next time. I ate one yesterday and today, plus DH had one. I'm putting the rest in the freezer, so it might be a while before I make them again.
What about de-panning them and flipping them over and sticking them back in the oven to firm up the bottom side? Do you think that would work?

To those that flopped, do you think maybe the recipe is just a little too heavy handed on the psyllium fiber? 5 tablespoons is more than 1/4 of a cup. Seems like a lot to me. Maybe if you cut it back to 3 tbsp, that would yield better results. Just a thought. If I see ANY potential with this recipe, I'm going to tweak and try a few different versions because I've been looking for a really good roll/hamburger bun for quite a while. I hope we can figure this out!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
I have been lurking on this thread for a while, just waiting until I could get over to Whole Foods for some psyllium husk fiber. I got the NOW brand in the jar, but I haven't made the rolls yet. When I do, I will post my experience with it, good or bad. I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm expecting a flop. We'll see.

I have some questions/comments based on things I've already read.

What about de-panning them and flipping them over and sticking them back in the oven to firm up the bottom side? Do you think that would work?

To those that flopped, do you think maybe the recipe is just a little too heavy handed on the psyllium fiber? 5 tablespoons is more than 1/4 of a cup. Seems like a lot to me. Maybe if you cut it back to 3 tbsp, that would yield better results. Just a thought. If I see ANY potential with this recipe, I'm going to tweak and try a few different versions because I've been looking for a really good roll/hamburger bun for quite a while. I hope we can figure this out!

I haven't had any that sunk in but I think I read somewhere that over mixing the dough could cause that to happen. Once I pour the water in I just mix it until all the water is mixed in and its smooth.

This is the best bread replacement I've found so far, I like the pizza crust too!!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

As promised, I am back with my review for these rolls.

First of all, I used the NOW brand Psyllium husk powder. Mine didn't seem gritty at all, so I didn't bother to run it through the Magic Bullet. Every now and then you get a little bite of "grit" in the finished product, so I might want to process the psyllium next time. They didn't turn the finished product purple at least. I used Bob's Red mill almond meal, and one whole egg. Others have tried egg whites, but I stuck with whole eggs in this case.

I halved the recipe because I didn't want to waste valuable almond flour in case they flopped.

I followed the recipe exactly as written, except I omitted the salt. We are trying to be a low-sodium household here, and baking powder has a lot of sodium in it. I think it definitely needed the salt. They taste flat without it.

I baked them in a muffin top pan and I got 3 big rolls, but I think if I had spread it out a little better I could have got 4. They are pleasantly brown looking and they do resemble whole wheat bread, as someone previously said.

I left mine in the oven for about 25 minutes, and then tore it open. It was ready. I think they have a pretty good texture for something as low carb as this. The outside is a bit crusty, and they have a chewy, slightly spongy interior. They won't make you forget about a big fluffy yeast roll from a restaurant, but for us low carbers, they are pretty good.

I have not tried eating them leftover, so I don't know how well they hold up. I also haven't toasted them, so I can't comment on how that would go. Overall, I am pretty pleased. I was never much of a fan of oopsies, and these are MUCH less hassle to make. No meringue whipping and folding into yolks They were in the oven in about 5 minutes from the time I decided to make them. Next time I will add some salt for sure and maybe a little bit of onion or garlic powder. They just need something to make the flavor pop a little.

I might try a little chia gel in place of the psyllium and see how that goes as well. If I do, I will come back and post my results here.

I hope my experience helps somebody who is thinking about making these. Overall I recommend them if you need something to eat your hamburger/hot dog/sandwich/sloppy joe on.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I want to try these again because they are the closest to real buns as you can get. But the psyllium brand type scares me a bit. Too many are saying the Now brand has the sand grit, but does the J rob? I know the brand must matter because the bulk bin P husk from Sprouts was grounded in my coffee grinder and it still tasted like it had sand in them. So any feedback on what brand doesn't have sand? I also, don't want to waste my pricy Almond flour either.

I wish I knew what brand I used for that first batch. I bought that husk a long time ago. Whatever brand it was sure made great rolls

Debbie
Tater Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Made these again tonight with a couple of changes. I used the convection setting on my oven - when I set it to 350 it automatically lowers it to 325. I also used the same carton of egg whites as before (I used 1 cup egg whites for the coconut flour recipe). And I mixed quickly and didn't spend much time forming them. I baked for the full 65 minutes. They didn't rise much at all but were cooked through. I think the temperature affects the rising - Maria's blog says they won't rise as much at a lower temp. I think next time I will either go back to regular 350 F or keep convection but set the heat to 375 which will lower automatically to 350. I'd like them to cook through and be nice and puffy. They taste good though. I'm using the NOW powder and they don't seem gritty to me. They do turn a "whole wheat" color, however, but not purple.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #204
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I've made these a couple of times and they've turned out well for me. I use room temperature egg whites and boiling water.

The second batch I added a bit of unflavoured protein powder and that made them a bit denser which I prefer.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I've made these a couple of times and they've turned out well for me. I use room temperature egg whites and boiling water.

The second batch I added a bit of unflavoured protein powder and that made them a bit denser which I prefer.
Do you use coconut flour or almond flour, how many egg whites do you use and how much protein powder? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #206
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Subbing. I found this recipe on pinterest last week and wanted to try it, I didn't know it was the same one here!

I bought husks so I guess I'll have to get some powder.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Subbing. I found this recipe on pinterest last week and wanted to try it, I didn't know it was the same one here!

I bought husks so I guess I'll have to get some powder.
People have put the husks into their food processor/magic bullet but I don't know if that would be as fine as the powder from the factory. You could always try and see.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #208
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
People have put the husks into their food processor/magic bullet but I don't know if that would be as fine as the powder from the factory. You could always try and see.
I thought about doing that as well. Then I realized it doesn't matter because I'm out of almond flour
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #209
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Do you use coconut flour or almond flour, how many egg whites do you use and how much protein powder? Thanks!
I was a little mistaken, I just looked over my recipe again. I used 1 large egg and 53g of egg whites (carton) at room temperature and 10 grams of protein powder. I use almond flour/meal.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I was a little mistaken, I just looked over my recipe again. I used 1 large egg and 53g of egg whites (carton) at room temperature and 10 grams of protein powder. I use almond flour/meal.
Would 53 grams of egg whites be equal to 1 egg white? I think 10 grams of protein powder is equal to a tbsp. I bet the protein powder would take away some of the moisture. I may try your version next. Thanks!