Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
I just mixed up a batch of these, going by the recipe as written except for the addition of 1 ts yeast just for flavour. I mixed using my hand mixer, and making sure to use boiling water straight from the kettle because she seemed to emphasize the need for it to be *boiling* hot. They are in the oven, and look and smell great. I'm just hoping they will turn out like rolls and not have holey middles. <g> I used my biggest "cookie" scoop (I think it is 1/4 cup sized) and got 6 rolls from this recipe, and I plopped them on a sheet lined with nonstick foil. I'll post again once they are out and cooled, so we'll see if they are "rolly" and not "holey" then. I'm making cream of tomato soup for supper for Danny and me, since Jeff is away for the day, and thought rolls with butter would be a nice addition my son would enjoy. Wish me luck!
lene is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Lene - what's the verdict - rolly or holey? Did the yeast add anything?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Well, these weren't a success. They rose ok, and weren't holey, and I did detect a slight yeasty note, which would have been great if the flavour and texture overall had been pleasing. But the interior had an off-puttingly damp stringy texture, and there was a sandy grittiness in every bite. And the general flavour wasn't good. Just not something we wanted to eat -- we split one, tried it with butter, and threw the other 5 rolls away. Ah, well.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene View Post
Well, these weren't a success. They rose ok, and weren't holey, and I did detect a slight yeasty note, which would have been great if the flavour and texture overall had been pleasing. But the interior had an off-puttingly damp stringy texture, and there was a sandy grittiness in every bite. And the general flavour wasn't good. Just not something we wanted to eat -- we split one, tried it with butter, and threw the other 5 rolls away. Ah, well.
Hmmm, I haven't had any of those problems. Could the yeast have done something strange?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that lene. I guess I won't add yeast when I make these tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

I really don't think the yeast caused the problem -- the texture issue seemed more to be related to the psyllium, and I suspect that, plus the lack of any real flavour element in the recipe probably made the rolls just blah. The damp and stringy texture I think is also due to the psyllium, from past experience. I was nervous about using it, but these looked so promising. The grit was definitely due to the psyllium, too. I think I just need to find recipes that don't rely on that ingredient, because I don't care for the things it brings to the table, so to speak.

the touch of yeast was actually one of the things that did work -- it was subtle, but I could detect the slight taste of it. I'll add it to some of my other LC breads in future, as a flavouring agent and not as a leavener.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #67
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I also tried the recipe yesterday and mine went into the trash too. I suspect that my main problem was that my baking powder had expired and I didn't have a spare can on hand. I made the recipe exactly as written with two whole eggs. I made 10 small rolls and they never rose at all so they were very wet and spongy on the inside.

I also had a couple of other issues with them not related to the baking powder. They smelled terrible while baking. I suppose that would be the psyllium because there's nothing else in the recipe that would smell bad. The other thing was that they were so salty that I could barely stand to eat them. I did like consistency of the crusty exterior but that's about the only thing that I liked about them. I split one open and toasted it to dry it out a bit and toasting just emphasized that icky smell.

I will give them another try after I get a new can of baking powder and I will cut back the salt by half. I've invested a small fortune in psyllium powder so I need to use it for something. I do think this recipe is probably worthy of another attempt with new baking powder and a salt adjustment.

Oh, another thing is that they seemed to take forever to get brown on the outside even though my rolls were very small. I had them in the oven for well over an hour and then I left them in the turned off oven another hour in hopes of drying out the insides but that didn't really help.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Linda Sue and Ilene

My friend Donna and I have been making the rolls all week and
have had some different results. My first was a big brown football,
inside was stringy dough mostly a big hole in center. Then we
began to undermix the dough and lightly handle it with better results.
Donna changed to a different psyllium than the NOW brand.
I bake mine about 70 minutes to get the interior baked. I've
been cutting it in half the long way and if it's damp, put it back
in oven for more baking time. We used onion powder, and sesame
seeds on top but never once did we get a loaf that looked like
Maria's.

This is the most challenged I've ever been on a recipe.
I emulated the video. Our baking powder is good until 2014, we
have new Honeyville grain blanched almond flour. Choclolate you
have been a winner with the recipe. Good for you.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I made pizza crust with this recipe. It turned out great. Pressed it out on a parchment lined pizza pan (maybe 14") Baked for 35 min. Covered with sauce, cooked sausage, black olives and 8oz mozzarella. Baked 5min to melt the cheese. Made 8 large slices. Best lc pizza I have had. Oh, yah, I added 1/2c of 3cheese blend to the dry ingredients for the crust.~~I have also made the cinnamon rolls (the recipe adds sweetener to the roll ingredients as well as cinnamon and sweetener sprinkle). I wasn't impressed with them the first day. BUT the next day and subsequent days I really liked them.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I had a bad experience(gritty texture and nasty taste) with psyllium in the past. Do try another brand--that can make all the difference.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Linda Sue, I always have trouble with Maria's recipes being too salty! Thought it was just me. I don't know how celtic sea salt can vary so much--but it must. I usually use less than half of what Maria's recipe calls for and have better luck. She has a link on her site to the brand she uses, but since I get such different results with her recipes I'd be afraid to use it in anything else.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
I had a bad experience(gritty texture and nasty taste) with psyllium in the past. Do try another brand--that can make all the difference.
The brand of psyllium powder that I used is called Health Plus. It didn't seem gritty at all. It is very finely ground. The store where I bought it also had NOW and Yerba Prima brands. The price of the one I bought was in between the other two with NOW being the cheapest of the three.

I forgot that Maria called for Celtic sea salt. I used regular table salt so maybe that's why mine came out too salty. I think you probably get more in a teaspoon of regular salt because it's finely ground and not coarse like the fancy salt.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

I just checked to see what kind of of psyllium husk powder I bought. It's the NOW brand. I was hoping it was a different brand so that it would be the problem. I only bake my muffin tops for 30 minutes, but I can't imagine that baking them longer would make them stringy and gritty. My psyllium powder is a very fine powder, not gritty at all. I need to bake another batch for this week so will try to pay attention and see if there is anything at all I am doing differently, but I don't think so.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
The brand of psyllium powder that I used is called Health Plus. It didn't seem gritty at all. It is very finely ground. The store where I bought it also had NOW and Yerba Prima brands. The price of the one I bought was in between the other two with NOW being the cheapest of the three.
Maybe it is the brand of psyllium powder! My store only had the NOW brand. If you're willing to, give the NOW brand a try.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
Maybe it is the brand of psyllium powder! My store only had the NOW brand. If you're willing to, give the NOW brand a try.
I've invested over $8.00 in the Health Plus brand and I'm unlikely to ever need to buy any again since I have no use for it. I only bought it to try this recipe. That's a mighty expensive batch of rolls that I threw in the trash, LOL.

Another thing that I just remembered about my batch is that my dough was much too soft to shape into any sort of "football". It seemed like it would have probably thickened up if I had let it stand for a bit but I'd read all kinds of warnings against doing that. I wanted to get them into the oven as quickly as possible.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CHOCOLATE ROSE

Would you mind answering a few questions for me. You are the one
with the mulit-successes.

How large are the eggs that you are using? Are the eggs room temp,
or right from fridge? When you measure out your baking powder,
psyllium and almond flour are you measuring with a level scoop?
Since I'm using sea salt my batter was ok..
Perhaps we should weigh out the ingredients? I'm very challenged
with this recipe. I've been baking bread for 50 years easy....

Puzzled in San Juan Capistrano.....

Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

The one I used was the Now brand, and it was very fine. It doesn't seem to have a nasty flavour so much if used as a laxative in water (heh) but it sure isn't on my list as a great ingredient for baking. I baked the rolls for 55 minutes, and they were certainly fulled cooked inside, but just gummy and stringy. They rose well, and looked nice and crusty, and didn't go purple. They just had an unpleasant texture and taste.

I'm not too fashed about it, because I have other bread-type recipes that I've tried and liked, like Barbo's rye rolls (I make her rye bread into rolls) and Jen's bread that uses vital wheat gluten, although I may try to tweak that one to see how low I can get the gluten four and how to add other stuff to make up for it. Jeff and Danny quite liked that one, though, so it is a good choice for them even as it stands. This one, sadly, even the racoons wouldn't eat. (I pitched the rolls outside for the birds and critters, and later that evening Jeff saw the racoons checking them out. They picked the rolls up and sniffed them and so on, then dropped them and went for the cat food we leave out for the stray cats. This morning, the rolls are still there, uneaten by 'coons or birds or anything else. <sigh>)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

My dough was actually quite elastic and resilient and easily shaped into rolls by hand. It had a firm squishiness to it, if that makes sense, like a soft rubber ball sort of feel. Not too wet to pinch off big balls of it, so I actually thought it was promising, because it did have that elastiic-y feel and was more like a bread dough than a batter.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Asked Maria to weigh the almond flour, psyllium and the baking
powder. We are using the 3 egg whites, and the only thing left
to wonder about are the measurements. They are so diverse,
even my tsp. and tbs. are not all alike. Measuring by weight is
the professional way and since many of us are not having success
with this very interesting and healthy recipe, I thought perhaps
this would help us all.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry to hear peeps are having such a hard time with this recipe. I made rolls again today, I got 6 large rolls, used a muffin-top pan. They filled the circles and rose very high. After cooled I cut one and it is very nice on the inside, fluffy almost, with a crispy crust on the outside. I have no idea what brand the psyllium husk powder I use is because I got it in bulk bin at a health food store. I did mix everything up in the food processor, worked fine. The first rolls I made probably did have a bit of a purplish tinge to them but I ate them anyway. I will say these are much nicer to look at.

I added 1 tsp. of baking soda today along with the baking powder. I am very pleased with this batch and hope I can continue getting them to come out so well.

I will post a pic of the rolls but I probably won't get to it till tomorrow. Stay tuned!

I have been telling myself often that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Add another checkmark to the FAIL column for this one. (Didn't catch up with this thread until now -- but I will weigh ingredients next time.)

I used trader joe's psyllium powder, honeyville blanched almond meal, just my usual stuff. Added two drops of baking emulsion and a 1/4 t. of garlic powder.

Taste ended up neutral. But the dough didn't raise a bit and was nice and raw in the middle.

Huh.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just out of the oven

My first really successful loaf

It is of equal height inside and out. No thin top crust and heavy bottom.
The bread is the color of wheat bread. It is fluffy inside.

The difference this time was that I measured out 5 oz. of almond
flour. Used three large egg whites. No yolks.
Baked it about 1 hour 15-20 minutes. @ 350F.

Will make another loaf tomorrow. I see this loaf as breakfast
sandwiches. Will use egg, cheese and Canadian bacon. Should
make 4 nice breakfasts.

Will keep reporting.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm glad to read all the feedback on this recipe. I'm planning on trying it eventually. Maybe tomorrow after I get back from the grocery store. If I don't make it then, it'll have to wait until next month. I'm going to be pretty out of pocket for most of November. My brother flies in from Seattle for 10 days on Tuesday and he and/or my Mom will be here at my house through the middle of the week after Thanksgiving, with a short trip to San Antonio to pick up Mom. Most likely, this recipe will have to wait for awhile. I'll let you all know how mine comes out when I get around to making it. I'll be using Konsyl psyllium powder in mine, as that's what I have in the house. It's real fine, so we'll see how it does for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
My first really successful loaf
YAY!!! So glad that you finally had a success.
I made another batch of my "buns" today and they turned out just fine. I've never been a big fan of tuna, but I'm loving my tuna melts with bacon on these things. They also make great breakfast sandwiches with egg, cheese and bacon, so I'm sure that yours on "bread" size slices will be awesome!

Next time though, I may try your method of measuring the ingredients by weight and see what happens. So, it's 5 oz. of almond flour. How much psyllium powder?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats, Barbo! Did you mix with hand mixer or use a food processor? I think the processor had a lot to do with how well mine came out this time. I mixed the dough for a good bit of time.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Food Processor/vs. Hand Mixer/vs. Spoon Mixed

I tried the food processor, really thinking that it would be the best
as you can just pulse a few times, but it didn't come out.
This time I did the hand mixer, but mixed it so very little.
It was kinda dry on the bottom. Oh well it turned out.
Now I want to try it as 6 rolls in the muffin top pan.
At least it worked out for me this time.

Keep reporting all you bread makers.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Barbo, could you either measure or weigh the egg whites also? I get ungraded eggs from the farm, so for me it is always a guess as to what the correct amount is (although 3 large egg whites should technically equal 1/2 cup).

Also, how long did you mix the dough?...30 secs...one minute...longer?

And finally, you noted that your dough was kind of dry...but it worked. Perhaps the liquid amount IS the problem. Just trying to think this through.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by RVcook; 11-04-2012 at 09:24 PM..
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm having such a hard time with this. I've use the last of my honeyville so now I have to wait for it to come in.

I'm reading all of this , at least I'm not alone.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
I made these last night for buns for my sloppy joes. I used the recipe on Maria's site that calls for 3 egg whites instead of 2 eggs. I mixed the dough in my Kitchenaid mixer, then baked in muffin top pan (6) for 45 minutes. They turned out great. They don't taste exactly like yeast bread, but the texture is good and they are sturdy.
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #90

Last time I looked on Maria's site it called for 2 egg whites but several people said that they got better results using 2 whole eggs so that's what I used in mine. It's hard to keep up with all of the changes being made to the recipe.

I did weigh my almond flour and psyllium when I made mine.
  • 1 1/4 cups of Honeyville almond flour weighed 4 1/2 ounces
  • 5 tablespoons of Health Plus psyllium weighed 3/4 ounce or 24 grams

I doubt if the baking powder would even register on the scale.