Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
The pizza crust is great with the Better than Flour mix. Rolls ok. I really like Yaz's bread and I have to change the flax. Yummy.
I made Yaz's bread and was impressed with rise and appearance but it was a little dense and had a very dry after affect on the throat...and kind of a funny taste. I used flax and omitted margerine, but replaced it with olive oil. I used the oat fiber as she said she was going to try...do you think the oat fiber could give it that unpleasant, bitter and dry aftertaste. It was almost hard to swallow so dry.
I would like to try again but I don't have a clue what to sub out to get more moistness and not hinder rise.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #272
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PMcmil5450
Thank you so much Esther...I will definitely check out both threads!

Quote:
Pam it is great. Taste just like pizza dough in your mouth. Yum.
I could go on and on about that pizza.

Here is the recipes we all have come up with that Gina put on this thread.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

Here is the orginal thread that Ouizoid invented the mix. Very long thread but wonderful.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

I should have done this one first, because there is a link for the recipes. You'll love it Pam.
PMcmil5450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #273
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
You are very welcome.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I made Yaz's bread and was impressed with rise and appearance but it was a little dense and had a very dry after affect on the throat...and kind of a funny taste. I used flax and omitted margerine, but replaced it with olive oil. I used the oat fiber as she said she was going to try...do you think the oat fiber could give it that unpleasant, bitter and dry aftertaste. It was almost hard to swallow so dry.
I would like to try again but I don't have a clue what to sub out to get more moistness and not hinder rise.
I used pea protein and don't get that dry effect. I never use margerine or flax . I used almond flour in place of flax. Maybe that's it Terry.
I think your are right about the amount of psyllium husk. I might try the rolls again with less.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-28-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
I just wanted to say that Swanson brand psyllium husk powder works great. I bought it from the Swanson Health Foods website on a recommendation from a friend. No grit whatsoever, huge rise and nice golden wheat color. This is what I used:

1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (nuts.com)
5 T psyllium husk powder (Swanson brand)
1 pkt Truvia (my friend's suggestion to improve flavor)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 cup egg whites from carton
1 cup BOILING water

I used my kitchen Aid mixer but made sure I didn't mix more than necessary. Made 4 rolls and flattened them into about 1/2 inch thick rounds. I stuck them immediately in the oven and baked for full 65 minutes on nonstick foil topped cookie sheet at 350 and let cool for 10 minutes.

They were huge and chewy!! I opened them up, spread them with butter, grilled the insides and put havarti cheese, salami, ham and homemade muffaletta relish on them.

Jen's Muffaletta Olive Relish

3.5 oz pouch green olives with pimientos, drained & minced
3.8 oz can sliced black olives, drained & minced
16 oz jar Mezzetta Italian Giardiniera (pickled veggies w/ cauliflower), drained & minced
1/4 c pepperoncinis, minced
1/2 c roasted red/yellow peppers, minced
3 cloves minced garlic
1 t celery seed
1 t oregano
1 pinch black pepper
1/3 c red wine vinegar
1/3 c olive oil

Mix everything together in a bowl and allow to marinate for 24 hours.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #276
Blabbermouth!!!

That relish sounds wonderful. And I make my own pickled veggies.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That relish sounds wonderful. And I make my own pickled veggies.
Yeah? In a pressure canner? I got one for Christmas but don't know what to do with it, lol. Would love to learn how to pickle cucumbers and cauliflower!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
These made beautiful hamburger buns! I made 6 in total but they never rose aswell as yours so I used two for the burger. Very neutral flavour, I put fresh cracked pepper on them before baking. Next time I will make 8 buns and flatten them out more as they are very sturdy. I was able to dress my burger to the max with no worries.....lettuce, tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried onions, mustard and ketchup! Also not as heavy of a bun as others with cheese as the binding ingredient....so easy.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #279
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Yeah? In a pressure canner? I got one for Christmas but don't know what to do with it, lol. Would love to learn how to pickle cucumbers and cauliflower!
I don't use either. I use the recipe from Chicken Lady for Claussen
refridgerator pickles copycat. Her technique ,my recipe for pickled veggie.

If you want to check it out let me know. Do you have a big pressure
cooker? I have both big pressure canner and a small one I use for different meats.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Neat! A link or instructions would be nice! Thanks!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
Hi Ladies,

A couple of questions:

1) I see lots of references to Maria's blog. How would I find that?

2) I am fairly new to this, and was wondering if the number of ounces in a cup are different with dry vs. wet ingredients??? Is a cup always 8 oz or ????

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Tracy - yes, 8 oz. is a cup both wet and dry. However, liquid and dry measures are different. If you measure 8 oz. of liquid in a dry measuring cup it would be less than 8 oz. measured in a liquid measuring cup.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Tracy - yes, 8 oz. is a cup both wet and dry. However, liquid and dry measures are different. If you measure 8 oz. of liquid in a dry measuring cup it would be less than 8 oz. measured in a liquid measuring cup.
OK. I feel confused because I got a number of different flour bags lately saying that 4 oz is a cup. I Googled it and found blogs explaining that the number of ounces per pound differs depending upon what's being measured. Crazy.

Tracy
Old 05-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #284
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Neat! A link or instructions would be nice! Thanks!

Sorry I just saw your reply.

Here is her technique.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-copycat.html

My recipe I use for Chow Chow is different...... I will post it for you.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I think most sites will tell you weights as well as cups measured...if not just measure in a dry measuring cup...not the liquid kind...the ones like pyrex with pour spout are for liquid.

All almond flours weigh differently...once you try a recipe you may have to tweak it to accommodate your brand. Almond flour is pricey so I usually try to make a smaller version of the recipe and write down any changes or ideas I have to improve it next time.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Wow- what a difference! Tonight, instead of 1/2 cup egg whites from a carton, I used 2 whole eggs + 1 t Deb El egg white powder. It was the difference between a huge rise to nearly no rise at all!! I won't do that again!!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I think most sites will tell you weights as well as cups measured...if not just measure in a dry measuring cup...not the liquid kind...the ones like pyrex with pour spout are for liquid.

All almond flours weigh differently...once you try a recipe you may have to tweak it to accommodate your brand. Almond flour is pricey so I usually try to make a smaller version of the recipe and write down any changes or ideas I have to improve it next time.
Thank you for your feedback. I'll get the hang of things, I'm sure. A bit of trial and error, and some help from the wonderful people here, and all is good.

Tracy
Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just wanted to say that Swanson brand psyllium husk powder works great. I bought it from the Swanson Health Foods website on a recommendation from a friend. No grit whatsoever, huge rise and nice golden wheat color. This is what I used:

1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (nuts.com)
5 T psyllium husk powder (Swanson brand)
1 pkt Truvia (my friend's suggestion to improve flavor)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 cup egg whites from carton
1 cup BOILING water

I used my kitchen Aid mixer but made sure I didn't mix more than necessary. Made 4 rolls and flattened them into about 1/2 inch thick rounds. I stuck them immediately in the oven and baked for full 65 minutes on nonstick foil topped cookie sheet at 350 and let cool for 10 minutes.

They were huge and chewy!! I opened them up, spread them with butter, grilled the insides and put havarti cheese, salami, ham and homemade muffaletta relish on them.

Jen's Muffaletta Olive Relish

3.5 oz pouch green olives with pimientos, drained & minced
3.8 oz can sliced black olives, drained & minced
16 oz jar Mezzetta Italian Giardiniera (pickled veggies w/ cauliflower), drained & minced
1/4 c pepperoncinis, minced
1/2 c roasted red/yellow peppers, minced
3 cloves minced garlic
1 t celery seed
1 t oregano
1 pinch black pepper
1/3 c red wine vinegar
1/3 c olive oil

Mix everything together in a bowl and allow to marinate for 24 hours.
Your description has my mouth watering. Just the thought of a hot, buttered roll.

Tracy
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I make these rolls all the time. Sometimes I get big fluffy rolls. Sometimes I get rolls with big hollows in the middle. And sometimes I get small dense metamucil tasting hockey pucks. I tried varying all kinds of things--the temperature, the amount of water, how much I mixed it, etc. I finally figured out how to get a fluffy roll every time with no hollow spots in the middle. The clue came from JHoberer. She said she covered her rolls. That meant they were steaming, like good French bread, so they could rise before the crust set. She was using almond flour, and I was using my coconut flour/oat fiber mix. But I decided to experiment anyway. I brushed the rolls liberally with water before they went in the oven. They puffed up beautifully, then collapsed into hockey pucks. I figured that with the water the rolls needed more time to set. The next time I baked them for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes. Then I flipped them and left them in the cooling oven to harden. They are fluffy with no hollows and no collapsing. These rolls are very low calorie, very low carb, and very high fiber. They are neutral tasting and toast like real bread. Thanks to everyone on this board for their experiments.

Last edited by Soobee; 05-28-2013 at 06:03 AM..
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Soobee, thank you for posting your experiences. I've only made them twice (with almond flour) and the first time they were perfect, but the second time they were all bumpy on top, didn't rise, and didn't have the same nice texture inside. I was befuddled, but I love the taste and texture of the first ones so I want to try again.

Just to make sure, after you brushed them liberally with water, did you still cover them? And what is your coconut flour/oat fiber ratio?
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't cover them. 50/50 oat fiber and coconut flour. I also double the egg whites, as Maria suggested.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

I tried a baking stone last time and cut a little slit in the top of the raw dough to let it expand...the stone helped with the soggy bottom and the cut across the top seemed to help with the bubble...I don't know if it will work every time but so far so good...If I get a loaf with a bubble cut off the bottom and try to toast for croutons...then I toast the thin top crust where the bubble was...I cut into triangle first, so they are like tortilla chips.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was thinking of cutting a slit on top of each roll. I'm glad to hear it worked.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #294
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PMcmil5450
Has anyone tried subbing ground chia seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Ground chia seed could be a sub for the psyllium husk-congeals similiar to the gound psyllium-this recipe is dependent on the mucilage-some people also sub Metamucil for it as well in baking. Oat bran is another sub available and will add 12 net carbs to the entire recipe or about 5.7 to 6.3 net carbs each roll-still a good carb bargain.
Lisabinil (or anyone else), have you tried this recipe with ground chia? It was my understanding that nothing could be subbed for the psyllium husk powder. My rolls actually turned out tasting good, but I'd like to see if I like them better with milled chia seed. How about the oat bran...anyone tried it?

Thanks!
Pam
PMcmil5450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Maria now makes this into a loaf bread, it's called amazing bread on her blog. Just google Maria's health blog and type in amazing bread in the search bar.

She has a video showing how she makes it and gives the weight measurements for the ingredients. I don't have a kitchen scale(I know, I can't believe it myself) so I think that's why mine didn't rise as high as it should have and was more dense than light and fluffy, but it still tastes good and worked for sandwiches and French toast. My daughter and I had pastrami sandwiches last night and this morning we made French toast with it.

I only got a pic of the loaf in the oven baking(not a good pic) but I took a pic of the French toast this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.1 KB, 37 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't tried that one yet as I am trying to cut down on almond consumption abit due to hiher calories...it is on my rainy day baking list tho...I am glad it worked out for you...looks dellish.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I haven't made any breads in a while, trying to cut back on eating almond flour baked goods but for a once in a while treat its good to have. I think this bread can be frozen and just take out a slice when you need it.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with freezing...I still have some of my loaves of maria's bread in the freezer just for those special sandwich days.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
freezes great.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I am really disappointed with Maria's Amazing Bread. I tried it twice, baking a little longer the second time. Both times as it cooled it fell, especially in the middle. It was dense and had a distinctive vinegar flavor. I like and have good luck with the buns. But I would not recommend the bread.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote