Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
trying something that may be weird...

We're having hot dogs tonight, with kraut, and I decided to try something a bit different. Normally, we just have dogs and kraut, and the guys can either eat them in buns or not, doctored as they desire. Tonight, I decided I want to cook them up as Chicago-flavoured dogs by mixing the Bavarian kraut with lots of celery seed, some yellow mustard that I added cayenne and sweet relish and smoked paprika to, and some chopped onion and pickled peppers. I'm fresh out of tomatoes, or I'd add some wedges of tomato to the plates before serving. I put all the dogs into a big skillet, topped them with this mess, and am letting them cook in it, then we'll eat it with forks.

It just seemed like maybe the dogs would be good if they had the chance to cook in the flavours for a bit... Especially since I'm tired out and didn't feel like going out to cook the dogs on the grill. LOL And I'm dying for the flavour of Chicago-style dogs.
lene is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I'm still waiting to hear what the weird part is. They sound really good and not weird at all. I've never had a real Chicago Dog but I've made Chicago Dog Salad and that was delicious.

LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Heh. I thought maybe it was weird to mix it all together to cook the dogs in, instead of just cooking the dogs and then topping them... But it turned out great, and while the guys had been a bit dubious about it, they both really loved how it turned out. I think the idea of cooking the relish and mustard in with the kraut is what seemed odd to them, but it worked out really well.

Boy howdy, now I want that salad! That looks scrumptious to me right now... Will have to buy some more good hot dogs the next time I get to the store.

I had a dr visit today, and as we were discussing my diet, I mentioned how much I've been enjoying collecting new recipes and ideas and basically creating a file of low carb favorites that I'll be able to rely on for everyday cooking, and as part of that discussion, I mentioned the cheddar and chive almond flour scones I made a while back. The doc apparently loves scones, and also wants to try using almond flour, so I have promised to bring her a scone and the recipe the next time I see her. <g> She also liked the idea of the "cabbage in place of pasta" thing, and the dogs with doctored kraut, but those would be a bit more problematic to bring in for her to taste. LOL A nice scone is so much more portable.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs_munro
Stats: 167/127/130
Start Date: July 2003
We love that Chicago Dawg salad at my house! But add some chopped hot peppers to the mix!

I'm thinking that kraut idea is pretty darn brilliant!
mrs_munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I'm seriously going to be making that salad soon, and yep, want to add the chopped hot peppers. Love 'em. The guys will be happy to eat that salad any day.

Tonight we're just having nibblies for supper -- summer sausage cut into bites, little cubes of fancy cheese, some varieties of mustard for dipping, and I'm going to try making some LC crackers to go with, although the guys may just choose to eat regular ones. I will be cutting up some fresh fruit, too, and letting them eat what they want while I measure out what I can eat of it, which won't be all that much. I've done did my veggies for the day, so won't worry overmuch if supper is pretty much veg-free.