Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Almond Bran Muffins from Maria (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/785177-almond-bran-muffins-maria.html)

CarolynF 10-09-2012 10:09 AM

Almond Bran Muffins from Maria

Saw this on her site, so I ordered some almond bran..Let you know how they are..

HEALTHIFIED" BRAN MUFFINS
1 1/2 cups ALMOND bran
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil or butter
1 egg (3 if using coconut flour)
2/3 cup Swerve (or Just Like Brown Sugar*)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup blanched almond flour (or 1/4 cup coconut flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon (if desired)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners. Mix together almond bran and almond milk; let stand for 10 minutes. Beat together oil, egg, sweetener (*NOTE: if using Just Like Brown Sugar, I suggest to add 1 tsp of stevia glycerite for a better sweet flavor) and vanilla and add to bran mixture. Sift together almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt (and cinnamon if desired). Stir flour mixture into bran mixture, until just blended. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy! Makes 12 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Bran Muffins = 167 calories, 7.1g fat, 3.5g protein, 25.6g carbs, 2.5g fiber
"Healthified" Almond Flour Bran Muffins = 127 calories, 11g fat, 4g protein, 3.9g carbs, 2.9g fiber (1 effective carbs)
"Healthified" Coconut Flour Bran Muffins = 102 calories, 7g fat, 3g protein, 3.8g carbs, 2.9g fiber (0.9 effective carbs)

buttoni 10-09-2012 10:49 AM

This almond bran sounds interesting. Where did you order yours from, Carolyn? I can't find any nutritional information for it, just that Hughson Nut, Inc. developed the product.

ravenrose 10-09-2012 11:56 AM

I find almond skins give my mouth/throat an itchy feeling... especially when the almonds are raw. Terrrible! I hope people who have any tendency to nut allergies will be careful with this product! It's too bad, it looks interesting.

Buffy45 10-09-2012 12:17 PM

Can't wait to see how you like these Carolyn.

CarolynF 10-09-2012 01:58 PM

Nut-trition I believe is where I got them..Shipping is expensive..I got 5 pounds, so it should last a while..

I made the muffins so will let you know. I'm thinking it could replace wheat bran in some recipes.

Jennifer Eloff 10-09-2012 01:59 PM

Interesting, Carolyn. Waiting to hear your expert opinion. :)

Barbo 10-09-2012 03:40 PM

I went to the site Nut Trician

Found out that they dry the skins that are left after blanching the almonds.
They are vegan, kosher and have high standards of manufacturing.

When I make almond milk, we really are left with a load of almond
skins. Never quite sure what to do with them but hate throwing
them out. Just wondering if I could make almond bran muffins
with it using Maria's recipe.

CarolynF 10-09-2012 03:59 PM

The muffins are good..They taste like a bran muffin, but with a milder flavor.They are dark, like the wheat bran ones. I did mix 1/3 cup of pecan flour with 2/3 cup almond flour. That makes for a nice cakey type of muffin, if you know what I mean.

Jennifer Eloff 10-10-2012 07:16 AM

Thanks, Carolyn! That is so cool. :)

Buffy45 10-10-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 16003418)
The muffins are good..They taste like a bran muffin, but with a milder flavor.They are dark, like the wheat bran ones. I did mix 1/3 cup of pecan flour with 2/3 cup almond flour. That makes for a nice cakey type of muffin, if you know what I mean.

That's the kind I like too and I will add some nuts to mine, when my almond bran arrives.

Ginaaaaaa 10-10-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16002901)
I find almond skins give my mouth/throat an itchy feeling... especially when the almonds are raw. Terrrible! I hope people who have any tendency to nut allergies will be careful with this product! It's too bad, it looks interesting.

Maybe the bran isn't as bad as eating almonds with the skins on because it's processed and a lot finer and then when it's used in baked goods it's cooked.

Hopefully people with nut allergies will realize the skins may affect them as well.

Thanks for sharing Carolyn!!

TBipp 03-04-2013 08:24 AM

Has anyone else tried almond bran and baked with it?