Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oven-Fried Chicken Livers

This is one dish I hadn't yet tried to low-carb and did so today for my lunch. I'm pleased with the results and will do these again.

Southern girl that I am, I get a hankering for fried chicken liver every once in awhile and today was my day. This is not a food I’ve tried to low-carb before now. Frankly, I didn’t think they would come out very good without the crispy traditional flour coating they are traditionally made with. My grocery store has taken to carrying their chicken livers in a huge 1.25# cartons instead of the 1# carton they have stocked in the past. My husband doesn’t like chicken liver, so I alone (or my puppies are most eager to) polish off any leftovers. So it looks like I’m going to have 5-6 oz. leftover every time I bake my homemade dog treats with the livers. Now I’ll have a convenient way to quell my fried chicken liver craving that crops up once in awhile. Since this coating has worked well on everything I’ve tried it on to date, I thought I’d give it a go and these came out REAL good!! Since I baked doggie treats yesterday, I decided to oven-fry the remainders today for my lunch. They came out much crisper than I anticipated! I won’t hesitate to “low-carb” chicken livers again! These would be suitable for any phase of Atkins. They are also suitable for Paleo-Primal, if you occasionally eat pork rinds (otherwise, coat with almond flour). This coating is also good with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese added, but I did not do so today and it is not calculated in the stats below. Be sure to note the incredible nutritional stats for this food!! I’m going to try to fit chicken livers into my menus more often now, for sure!

INGREDIENTS:

5 oz. raw chicken livers
½ c. homemade mayo
4 oz. plain pork rinds, crushed fine
1/4 tsp. spice blend of your choice (I used my seafood spice blend)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 425º. Place chicken livers on paper toweling and pat them with more paper towels to get as much moisture off as you can. Cut the really large ones in half for more even cooking. Pour mayo onto a paper plate and crushed rinds onto a second paper plate. Dip livers into the mayo to coat boat sides, then drop into crushed rinds. I curl the paper plate to facilitate rolling the rinds up over the tops. Place coated livers onto a non-stick sided cookie sheet. Pop into 425º oven for 10 minutes. Turn gently with tongs and cook an additional 10 minutes. They should be done in 20 minutes and browned nicely on both sides. As with all fried foods, eat at once so they will still be crispy! Serve with your favorite sides.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 3 servings, each contains:

526 calories
43 g fat
.53 g carbs, .03 g fiber, .5 NET CARBS
32.5 g protein
488 mg sodium, 171 mg potassium

73% Vitamin A, 38% B6, 412% B12, 11% C, 11% D, 39% E, 47% copper, 86% iron, 11% magnesium, 13% manganese, 41% niacin, 69% phosphorous, 152% riboflavin, 176% selenium, 23% thiamin, 46% zinc.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
WOE: Atkins
Wow, these look great!

Dee
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Yay, Yay Yay! I love chicken livers and as a southern girl, too, I love them fried. Those look wonderful--now to the store to buy some!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can't believe it took me 3 years to test this coating on them. I haven't used it on anything that didn't come out good. I thought about using an egg wash, but I'm having such god luck with the shawarma mayo coating, why change now?
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
My Mom just fried them in a little bacon grease quite often but I never heard of crunchy coated chicken livers. I'm in Michigan, maybe that's why, we're in the wrong section of the country ; o ] But those look great, I have everything but the chicken livers, just put them on my list.................... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We lived in Michigan (Mt. Clemons) 3 years,, and I don't recall if we ever had them there or not. But my Mom has made them with the traditional southern fried chicken coating all my life, so I probably would have only had them at home, that way. About the only other way I've had them was the appetizer Rumaki (water chestnut, soy, bacon wraps) and a little of it chopped up in Cajun Dirty Rice.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
My go-to way to eat them has been to sprinkle with a little Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix and roast them in the pan juices beneath a "beer butt chicken". I'll also just roast them with oil and the salad dressing mix.

Best I ever had was the chicken liver pate that a Vietnamese friend of mine made. Wish I had the recipe for that!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I had never heard of Primal/Paleo either, but sounded healthier, so just ordered the book. Are you doing low carb with this or just switched?............... Ann
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ann, I am trying to do the Paleo/Primal program as low carb as I can. I began the transition in August. I eat an occasional sweet potato (had 1/4 of one tonight in fact). I eat no wheat/grains or grain-based foods/products (just flax, after I finish my Whole30 Oct. 12th); no dairy (except butter/clarified butter for Paleo; no processed food (though Primal allows occasional dairy); no sweeteners anymore, except stevia, small amounts of honey, molasses or fruits/dates as sweetener (after I finish my Whole30).

Last edited by buttoni; 10-03-2012 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
oo Peggy that looks so good. I love fried chicken livers. Yum.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Those really look good. I haven't had chicken livers in ages. My DH doesn't like them. But, I may have to cook me some.
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Peggy, looking forward to reading the book. Have you noticed any difference in the way you feel or weight loss? I'm just holding steady with my weight and have been a couple of years, but if I go off low carb, it starts coming right back............... Ann
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No additional weight loss since I started, Ann, but my body "feels different", so I may be losing inches. I can't see the eliminating dairy, grains, sweeteners has done one thing other than made me healthier. They don't appear to have been why I've also been stalled, pretty much, for 2+years. I don't know if I think that's a good thing to have learned, or not. :{ Guess it means if I decide to go permanently Primal, I will be able to handle the occasional dairy and occasional 1/2 LC beer in my beer-braised beef shanks or stewed beef recipes. The prospect of being able to add those back occasionally if I decide on Primal really appeals to me. I really miss the occasional real cream sauce.