Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Oven-Fried Chicken Livers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/784478-oven-fried-chicken-livers.html)

buttoni 10-01-2012 01:13 PM

Oven-Fried Chicken Livers

This is one dish I hadn't yet tried to low-carb and did so today for my lunch. I'm pleased with the results and will do these again. :yummy:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/002-47.jpg
Southern girl that I am, I get a hankering for fried chicken liver every once in awhile and today was my day. This is not a food Iíve tried to low-carb before now. Frankly, I didnít think they would come out very good without the crispy traditional flour coating they are traditionally made with. My grocery store has taken to carrying their chicken livers in a huge 1.25# cartons instead of the 1# carton they have stocked in the past. My husband doesnít like chicken liver, so I alone (or my puppies are most eager to) polish off any leftovers. So it looks like Iím going to have 5-6 oz. leftover every time I bake my homemade dog treats with the livers. Now Iíll have a convenient way to quell my fried chicken liver craving that crops up once in awhile. Since this coating has worked well on everything Iíve tried it on to date, I thought Iíd give it a go and these came out REAL good!! Since I baked doggie treats yesterday, I decided to oven-fry the remainders today for my lunch. They came out much crisper than I anticipated! I wonít hesitate to ďlow-carbĒ chicken livers again! These would be suitable for any phase of Atkins. They are also suitable for Paleo-Primal, if you occasionally eat pork rinds (otherwise, coat with almond flour). This coating is also good with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese added, but I did not do so today and it is not calculated in the stats below. Be sure to note the incredible nutritional stats for this food!! Iím going to try to fit chicken livers into my menus more often now, for sure!

INGREDIENTS:

5 oz. raw chicken livers
Ĺ c. homemade mayo
4 oz. plain pork rinds, crushed fine
1/4 tsp. spice blend of your choice (I used my seafood spice blend)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 425ļ. Place chicken livers on paper toweling and pat them with more paper towels to get as much moisture off as you can. Cut the really large ones in half for more even cooking. Pour mayo onto a paper plate and crushed rinds onto a second paper plate. Dip livers into the mayo to coat boat sides, then drop into crushed rinds. I curl the paper plate to facilitate rolling the rinds up over the tops. Place coated livers onto a non-stick sided cookie sheet. Pop into 425ļ oven for 10 minutes. Turn gently with tongs and cook an additional 10 minutes. They should be done in 20 minutes and browned nicely on both sides. As with all fried foods, eat at once so they will still be crispy! Serve with your favorite sides.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 3 servings, each contains:

526 calories
43 g fat
.53 g carbs, .03 g fiber, .5 NET CARBS
32.5 g protein
488 mg sodium, 171 mg potassium

73% Vitamin A, 38% B6, 412% B12, 11% C, 11% D, 39% E, 47% copper, 86% iron, 11% magnesium, 13% manganese, 41% niacin, 69% phosphorous, 152% riboflavin, 176% selenium, 23% thiamin, 46% zinc.

mojave 10-01-2012 02:29 PM

Wow, these look great!

Dee

dianafoot 10-01-2012 04:14 PM

Yay, Yay Yay! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy: I love chicken livers and as a southern girl, too, I love them fried. Those look wonderful--now to the store to buy some!

buttoni 10-02-2012 10:16 AM

Can't believe it took me 3 years to test this coating on them. I haven't used it on anything that didn't come out good. I thought about using an egg wash, but I'm having such god luck with the shawarma mayo coating, why change now? :)

Ann Lytle 10-03-2012 07:02 AM

My Mom just fried them in a little bacon grease quite often but I never heard of crunchy coated chicken livers. I'm in Michigan, maybe that's why, we're in the wrong section of the country ; o ] But those look great, I have everything but the chicken livers, just put them on my list.................... Ann

buttoni 10-03-2012 10:02 AM

We lived in Michigan (Mt. Clemons) 3 years,, and I don't recall if we ever had them there or not. But my Mom has made them with the traditional southern fried chicken coating all my life, so I probably would have only had them at home, that way. :) About the only other way I've had them was the appetizer Rumaki (water chestnut, soy, bacon wraps) and a little of it chopped up in Cajun Dirty Rice.

dianafoot 10-03-2012 03:57 PM

My go-to way to eat them has been to sprinkle with a little Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix and roast them in the pan juices beneath a "beer butt chicken". I'll also just roast them with oil and the salad dressing mix.

Best I ever had was the chicken liver pate that a Vietnamese friend of mine made. Wish I had the recipe for that!

Ann Lytle 10-03-2012 06:00 PM

I had never heard of Primal/Paleo either, but sounded healthier, so just ordered the book. Are you doing low carb with this or just switched?............... Ann

buttoni 10-03-2012 09:48 PM

Ann, I am trying to do the Paleo/Primal program as low carb as I can. I began the transition in August. I eat an occasional sweet potato (had 1/4 of one tonight in fact). I eat no wheat/grains or grain-based foods/products (just flax, after I finish my Whole30 Oct. 12th); no dairy (except butter/clarified butter for Paleo; no processed food (though Primal allows occasional dairy); no sweeteners anymore, except stevia, small amounts of honey, molasses or fruits/dates as sweetener (after I finish my Whole30).

rosethorns 10-03-2012 10:56 PM

oo Peggy that looks so good. I love fried chicken livers. Yum.

Melodye 10-04-2012 12:35 AM

Those really look good. I haven't had chicken livers in ages. My DH doesn't like them. But, I may have to cook me some.

Ann Lytle 10-04-2012 06:47 AM

Thanks Peggy, looking forward to reading the book. Have you noticed any difference in the way you feel or weight loss? I'm just holding steady with my weight and have been a couple of years, but if I go off low carb, it starts coming right back............... Ann

buttoni 10-04-2012 07:37 AM

No additional weight loss since I started, Ann, but my body "feels different", so I may be losing inches. I can't see the eliminating dairy, grains, sweeteners has done one thing other than made me healthier. They don't appear to have been why I've also been stalled, pretty much, for 2+years. I don't know if I think that's a good thing to have learned, or not. :{ Guess it means if I decide to go permanently Primal, I will be able to handle the occasional dairy and occasional 1/2 LC beer in my beer-braised beef shanks or stewed beef recipes. The prospect of being able to add those back occasionally if I decide on Primal really appeals to me. I really miss the occasional real cream sauce. :)