Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Eye-popping Hot Pepper Jelly!

This'll make you jump and cry!

I finally got the time to make hot pepper jelly with my huge crop of cayennes and a few habaneros thrown in for fire. Oh man, is it good!!! I experimented with the ratio of peppers, vinegar, and sweetener, and I like this more than any I have had, commercial or homemade.

Ingredients:
• 5 cups finely ground cayennes and habaneros or hot peppers of your choice
• 1 large red bell pepper
• 7-8 cups sweetener: I used a blend of half xylitol, half erythritol, and about 10 drops of EZsweetz to replace the sugar.
• 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 2 packets of no-sugar-needed pectin
• 6-7 drops of red food coloring (optional, it gives it a deeper glowing color)

Directions
1. Slit the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs*.
2. Chop the peppers in the food processor about 1 cup at a time, until very finely pulverized.
3. Boil the peppers and vinegar together for 2-3 minutes to soften the peppers.
4. Sprinkle in the pectin while stirring vigorously.
5. Bring to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down, and boil for one minute.
6. Taste and adjust sweeteners
7. Ladle into clean, sterile jars, wipe the rims, and put on the clean lids and screw the bands on lightly.
8. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
9. Let cool, making sure all lids seal, and store in a cool, dry place.

This made a soft jelly (I haven't tried it refrigerated, it might firm up a little more, but I like it this way to spread on cream cheese). I don't like the cloudy look of jellies canned with Splenda, but with the E and X as sweeteners, it came out clear and beautiful. I also think E and X, boosted with the concentrated sucralose from EZsweetz, has a much better flavor than Splenda alone.

*Discard, or simmer them in a cup of vinegar and strain, for the hottest pepper vinegar you have ever tasted (wonderful on barbecue, in hot and sour soup, etc. Just be careful, it’ll pop your eyes right out of your head!)

dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
oh my,,, I have been looking everywehre to buy SF hot pepper jelly and cant find it anywhere.. this looks great,, too bad I do not have all those peppers though..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
diana,those look so pretty! Since I've never canned before, do you think I could use freezer containers and store in the freezer? I have tons of peppers, too. I thought about giving some away to friends and neighbors, but I like your idea of making pepper jelly to have on hand.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
oh my,,, I have been looking everywehre to buy SF hot pepper jelly and cant find it anywhere.. this looks great,, too bad I do not have all those peppers though..
this time of the year, peppers are really cheap at the farmer's markets. I would buy some (about 2 pounds) and make the jelly--it's truly worth it! Except for portion control, I am happy happy happy to have some sugar free hot pepper jelly!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
diana,those look so pretty! Since I've never canned before, do you think I could use freezer containers and store in the freezer? I have tons of peppers, too. I thought about giving some away to friends and neighbors, but I like your idea of making pepper jelly to have on hand.
I'd try looking at the directions for making freezer jelly and go for it!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oh MAN that looks KILLER! I've got to try this. Will probably use jalapenos so it's not TOO hot. Thanks!!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Me too, Charski, I have about a hundred jalapenos and I'm going to make green pepper jelly next!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

droooooooool!!!

Pretty for Christmas - half green, then the other half red, poured over block of cream cheese, crackers (LC of course!) for scooping up the yumminess. MMMMMM!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
This is GORGEOUS!

Oh boy Diana, you have outdone yourself. Christmas gifts lovely.
I can just see the green jalapeno along side your red ones.
So clear. Thanks for a great job and sharing the recipe with us.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Looks good and the pic is sure pretty, Diana. My mom used to make pepper jelly when I was growing up, but being a kid, I wouldn't try it. Daddy loved it though. Hubby had it before we got married and isn't fond but I may make some one day and see if my adult palate likes it.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Thanks Diana!
We love hot pepper jelly. I have been using splenda and I can't wait to try your sweetner combo!
Leigh
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aparra
trials of a novice canner

Hi Diana - I have never canned before. I decided to try your eye popping pepper jelly as we have loads of hot peppers from our garden. I was fine until I got done stirring in the pectin then...didn't know when to add the sugar substitute. I added it after I boiled the pectin and ended up with a goopy lump. I raised it to boiling, but only for a few seconds then filled my jars. They lids popped down (yippy) and all looked good. Then I put my partial jar in the frig. It turned white and hard and crystal-ish. I'm guessing I should have added the sugar with the pectin? The taste is awesome and we definitely want to try it again. Just need a little guidance! Also, can I add the stuff I've made back into the next batch or should we just eat it as is?

Thanks!!! Angie
aparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparra View Post
Hi Diana - I have never canned before. I decided to try your eye popping pepper jelly as we have loads of hot peppers from our garden. I was fine until I got done stirring in the pectin then...didn't know when to add the sugar substitute. I added it after I boiled the pectin and ended up with a goopy lump. I raised it to boiling, but only for a few seconds then filled my jars. They lids popped down (yippy) and all looked good. Then I put my partial jar in the frig. It turned white and hard and crystal-ish. I'm guessing I should have added the sugar with the pectin? The taste is awesome and we definitely want to try it again. Just need a little guidance! Also, can I add the stuff I've made back into the next batch or should we just eat it as is?

Thanks!!! Angie

While reading this recipe I wondered how it stood up after setting for awhile. My experience with using erythritol is this type of recipe is that it will recrystallize after a while and will turn into like what you experienced. I wonder if the addition of the xylitol helped with that problem or if powdering the E helps. I just made some homemade dried cranberries that I sweetened with powdered E and some other things and I did still get a bit of recrystallization but it's not bad and the cranberries are great. I made a different type jam/jelly last year only using E and stevia and had to throw it out.

Anybody know?

Last edited by PaminKY; 11-02-2012 at 09:08 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I add the sweetener mixture with the boiling vinegar and let it boil for a minute or two to dissolve the sweeteners. then I add the pectin, boil for one minute and decant.

The jelly stays jelled for as long as the jars stay sealed. Once opened, if they sit in the refrigerator for a few days, they will start to crystalize. I have solved this problem by putting the jar in the microwave just until everything melts, then let it cool on the counter and it gels right back up. I will even pour it lukewarm over a block of cream cheese or over goat cheese and let it gel on top. Another thing I decided to do was to put it up in the little half-pint jars. Once it's opened it gets eaten up pretty fast!

Hope that helps, and if anybody comes up with a recipe that won't gel when it sits opened in the fridge for awhile, please let me know. Monin O'free syrups have erythritol in them and they don't crystalize, so at least somebody has the secret!

Last edited by dianafoot; 11-03-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I always add my sweeteners to the pectin first to incorporate it in well.

Diana your recipe is lovely. I made it using jalapenos , It's great on roast beef. Yum.

Last edited by rosethorns; 11-03-2012 at 04:44 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
I add the sweetener mixture with the boiling vinegar and let it boil for a minute or two to dissolve the sweeteners. then I add the pectin, boil for one minute and decant.

The jelly stays jelled for as long as the jars stay sealed. Once opened, if they sit in the refrigerator for a few days, they will start to crystalize. I have solved this problem by putting the jar in the microwave just until everything melts, then let it cool on the counter and it gels right back up. I will even pour it lukewarm over a block of cream cheese or over goat cheese and let it gel on top. Another thing I decided to do was to put it up in the little half-pint jars. Once it's opened it gets eaten up pretty fast!

Hope that helps, and if anybody comes up with a recipe that won't gel when it sits opened in the fridge for awhile, please let me know. Monin O'free syrups have erythritol in them and they don't crystalize, so at least somebody has the secret!
oops, I meant won't crystallize.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll use the smaller jars too. What are the other ingredients in the Monin syrups. I'm wondering if the addition of glucomannan or xanthum or some other type gum would help.

Last edited by PaminKY; 11-05-2012 at 10:00 AM..
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Thanks. Until recently I had never had pepper jelly before in my life (didn't sound appealing), but as I get older I'm really starting to appreciate the sweet/savory combo. Recently I had a tapas plate at a restaurant that included a pepper jelly and goat cheese spread. So good. I broke down and bought some (sugared) pepper jelly from Trader Joe's, which I've been using in miniscule amounts on creamy cheeses.

I know nothing about canning at ALL but it seems like I might need to learn. Thanks!
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll use the smaller jars too. What are the other ingredients in the Monin syrups. I'm wondering if the addition of glucomannan or xanthum or some other type gum would help.
The very thing that puts me off of most sugar free jellies is the addition of xanthum gum to them. Even in the smallest amounts, I don't like the slimy gummy texture they impart. That said, I've found that I don't mind nuking the jelly for a few seconds if it has started to crystallize.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The very thing that puts me off of most sugar free jellies is the addition of xanthum gum to them. Even in the smallest amounts, I don't like the slimy gummy texture they impart. That said, I've found that I don't mind nuking the jelly for a few seconds if it has started to crystallize.
I agree with you on the xanthum, about the only thing I do like it in is low-carb ice cream, that's the only application where I prefer xanthum over glucomannan. Of course nuking it wouldn't be a problem for me either since most things I make that use pepper jelly are served warm.

Thanks again for the recipe.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
Thanks. Until recently I had never had pepper jelly before in my life (didn't sound appealing), but as I get older I'm really starting to appreciate the sweet/savory combo. Recently I had a tapas plate at a restaurant that included a pepper jelly and goat cheese spread. So good. I broke down and bought some (sugared) pepper jelly from Trader Joe's, which I've been using in miniscule amounts on creamy cheeses.

I know nothing about canning at ALL but it seems like I might need to learn. Thanks!
I didn't know about the goat cheese application of this before just trying it to appease my DH who claims he doesn't like cream cheese--we in the South spread pepper jelly on a block of cream cheese and mound it on Ritz crackers, and eat it until we're sick, it's so good.

When I could not eat sugar any more, I tried to develop a recipe for hot pepper jelly that didn't use sugar and a recipe for low carb crackers and finally some more sophisticated version of the cheese. I love the goat cheese, Joseph's Lavash bread made into crackers and the sugar-free pepper jelly--seems like we've all worked together to make a killer appetizer!

Last edited by dianafoot; 11-06-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
MMm I love pepper jelly with cream cheese on crackers! I've been wanting a sf version minus the crackers unless I find an low carb option.
babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Here we go -- a trio of pepper jellies: cayenne for the red, habanero for the gold, and just-finished jalapeno for the green.

and with goat cheese and low carb crackers

Last edited by dianafoot; 11-07-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
Gadget Gal

OH MAN I want to lick the screen! DROOOOOL!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

You can probably tell how thrilled I am to be able to have hot pepper jelly once again! I ended up making 12-20 jars of each kind, a sugar-free version and a version with sugar for each flavor. I have a lot of Christmas presents on hand! And potluck appetizers tied up for the year.

It was so easy and fun to make, I'm tempted to just buy the peppers next year if my pepper bushes don't produce like they did this summer.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
Omg i want to make some! I just got back from the store and bought 20 jalapenos to make some jalapeno poppers and I finally saw no sugar pectin there for the first time (never knew where to look for it) and now I'm kicking myself for not picking up some. I guess I'll have to take another trip to the store.

Last edited by babycakez; 11-07-2012 at 04:17 PM..
babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I love green pepper jelly with cream cheese on Ritz crackers! It's gourmet food in the south. What's that cracker in the picture?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I love green pepper jelly with cream cheese on Ritz crackers! It's gourmet food in the south. What's that cracker in the picture?
I made crackers with Joseph's Lavash Bread. Just spray with non-stick cooking spray, score with a pizza cutter into cracker-sized pieces and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden and crispy. Most WalMarts carry Joseph's Lavash bread.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I made a small amount of your recipe yesterday. Very delicious and VERY hot. I used mostly sucralose and a little erythritol. No recrystalization. I also used Pomona Universal Pectin. I don't know it that makes a difference. But thanks for the idea. I can see lots of uses for this product. I can't wait to try them all.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Quote:
I love the goat cheese, Joseph's Lavash bread made into crackers and the sugar-free pepper jelly--seems like we've all worked together to make a killer appetizer!
Needless to say I'll be looking up the lavash bread crackers.

Also, I had no idea this was a southern thing. Although the restaurant I mentioned above is in Durham, NC.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote