Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Perfected homemade Shirataki Noodles (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/783960-perfected-homemade-shirataki-noodles.html)

Ultimist 09-25-2012 08:42 AM

Perfected homemade Shirataki Noodles

Hi all,

This is my first post, but I've been a lurker for several years.

I've noticed over the years that many people have had difficulty getting shirataki noodles at a reasonable price in their area, or if at all. Also, I haven't been able to find a recipe for making them that actually works.

Over the past few months I've done a lot of experimentation with glucomannan powder, and have finally come up with a working recipe to make your own shirataki noodles at home.

What follows is the result of a LOT of experimentation and a ton of trial and error, lol...

Perfected Homemade Shirataki Noodles
-------------------------------------

2 cups very hot water (474g)
14g glucomannan powder

1g pickling lime
1 oz. cold water

1. In a medium sized bowl, slowly add the powder to the hot water, stirring constantly, or use a Magic Bullet or other blender.

2. Stir the resulting mixture for about 5 minutes until it becomes "sticky."

3. Let the mixture rest for 30 minutes.

4. In a separate bowl, mix 1g pickling lime into 1 oz cold water.

5. Stir the glucomannan mixture for another minute or two.

6. Stir the pickling lime and water solution, and add it all at once to the glucomannan mixture. Stir constantly. The mixture will begin to break up. Keep stirring until the mixture comes together again.

7. Spoon the mixture into your desired container, smooth the top, and let sit for another 30 minutes.

8. Add the resulting piece of Konjac to boiling water, and boil for 15 minutes.

To easily make noodles, at step 7 use a tall cylindrical container to make the mixture into a shape easily sliced in a Benriner spiral slicer. Using the smallest Benriner blades, you can make pasta resembling angel hair or thin spaghetti. Experiment with other sizes and/or slicing methods to see what you can come up with!

These noodles are firm and gelatinous and hold their shape just as well as the (overpriced) factory made shirataki noodles.

Sometimes I add a bit of dry instant mashed potato flakes and a pinch of salt to the glucomannan mixture, to give the pasta a bit of flavor. Lots of room for experimentation here!

Enjoy!

Miss Elmo 09-25-2012 11:40 AM

For your metric measurements, 14g glucomannan power, do you weigh the ingredient or is it measured in a metric measuring spoon?

I haven't attempted to make the noodles, but I have made it into blocks. Then I pulse the block in a food processor for a few seconds to make it into rice size pieces, which I make into fried rice.

I will try your recipe, because I don't really have an exact measured recipe for mine, and sometimes it doesn't turn out the way I would like.

rosethorns 09-25-2012 01:27 PM

Thanks. I will try this . I thoguht the shirataki noodles were soy. I make everything I eat. So now I can't wait to get some gluc powder.

SkeeterN 09-25-2012 01:58 PM

how much is 14 grams or for that matter 1 gram? I have no way of measuring that.

Soobee 09-26-2012 08:04 AM

28 grams is an ounce, so 14 grams is half an ounce. My food scale can toggle back and forth between pounds and kilograms. Maybe yours can too?

rosethorns 09-26-2012 10:18 AM

I made sure my new scale had everything on it, lbs.,ounces, ml, grams, for recipes. I'm so glad I did.

SkeeterN 09-26-2012 09:04 PM

Don't have a scale. Oh well

Ultimist 09-26-2012 11:31 PM

I weigh the ingredients with a small scale I bought that is accurate to a tenth of a gram. 14g of glucomannan works out to (approximately) 4 teaspoons of the powder, just scooped up normally and not packed to fit more in the spoon.

By the way, when I said I sometimes add a bit of instant potatoes, I mean a VERY small amount, a tablespoon or so... If you add too much, the reaction won't take place and the mixture will remain a gooey mess.

crazywoman-n-wy 09-28-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 15969964)
Thanks. I will try this . I thoguht the shirataki noodles were soy. I make everything I eat. So now I can't wait to get some gluc powder.

No, not all Shirataki noodles are soy. Matter of fact most I've heard of or seen is glucomannan (or Konjac). Some are Glucomannan/Konjac & tofu (which I guess is so). A few may only be tofu/soy.

rosethorns 09-28-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks Billie.

Tilly 09-28-2012 02:59 PM

subbing, I was just thinking I would like some of the noodles but will have to order them. I think I will try this. Thank you, Ultimist!

What do you do with them if you are not going to use them right away? Freeze, refrigerate? Will they hold their shape?

island girl2 09-28-2012 04:50 PM

what can you use instead of pickling lime - actually what is it.
I know i cant buy it where i live.

Soobee 09-29-2012 04:37 AM

Esther, I get my shirataki noodles in an Asian market. They have regular shirataki, brown shirataki (made with seaweed), and tofu shirataki. You should be totally OK with the first 2 kinds.

rosethorns 09-29-2012 08:36 AM

Thanks Soobee.
There are no HFS in this state and I've looked everywhere.I've found some things in a vitamin store, of all places.

Now to find an asian store and an Indian store. Wish me luck.

Miss Elmo 09-29-2012 12:27 PM

Island Girl, you can get pickling lime at your grocery store where they sell the canning jars. I got mine at WalMart where they keep the mason jars.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/me...kling-lime.jpg

DJFoodie 09-29-2012 12:34 PM

I would LOVE to see some photos of this!

mindwing 01-11-2013 03:44 PM

picling lime

pickling lime can be bought at Amazon.com. I lb. will last you forever.

leona

elainesmith 01-11-2013 09:18 PM

Utlimist,

How much does this recipe make?

Same as 1 bag of noodles?

If you make several batches, how does it keep? In water and in fridge?