Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Candy thermometer in the water? Regulating it manually by turning heat on and off..???
I have a really nice digital thermometer that will beep if it goes past whatever temp you want plus I have an electric saucepan, like an electric skillet with a heat/temp controller but I'm not sure what the lowest temp is.

Can't wait to hear Widget's results.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
We are all keeping our fingers crossed..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
This is amazing - to have something like potato salad with limited impact, this would be truly cutting edge. I'm looking forward to the results.

It would be fascinating to see if some lab could calculate the digestible carbs from a potato cooked in this way. Not diabetic myself, so I'm not savvy on blood glucose levels, but can definitely relate to it in terms of X grams of digestible carbs (sort of like net carbs) per 4 ounces, as an example.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
Sorry folks, the 170 degree oven didn't work. I ate 4 oz.

before eating = 104
1 hour = 144

According to the instructions, once they are 'cooked' at 149 degrees then treated to an ice bath, they will be the same as they were before cooking, they will be like raw potatoes. Well, they were, and they tasted awesome, but it just doesn't work. I have a feeling that even if I had heated them at 149 degrees, I would have ended up with the same results, but that's just my guess. If anyone else wants to experiment, please do.

Well, the good news is we can still have potato salad. To remind you of my potato salad test results...

Before eating - 104
1 hour - 107
2 hours - 92

I put onion and no-sugar-added sweet pickles in the spud salad, so it looks to me like the spuds had zero effect on my bg. I bought more new red potatoes so I'm all set.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Finally got a chance to try this tonight. I used tiny red potatoes, boiled for 30 minutes, let sit on the counter until cool, refrigerated overnight and made potato salad for dinner.
My bg results:
Before dinner- 105
2 hours - 98!

woo hoo looks like I can have some potato salad. I had a small serving with lots of mayo.

Very happy! I will give it a second test with the leftovers tomorrow to be sure but I am glad to have a new food to add to my menu.

Thanks Widget!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Awesome!! That's great to hear! Can't wait to try this, I will probably make it all the time!! LOL
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Finally got a chance to try this tonight. I used tiny red potatoes, boiled for 30 minutes, let sit on the counter until cool, refrigerated overnight and made potato salad for dinner.
My bg results:
Before dinner- 105
2 hours - 98!

woo hoo looks like I can have some potato salad. I had a small serving with lots of mayo.

Very happy! I will give it a second test with the leftovers tomorrow to be sure but I am glad to have a new food to add to my menu.

Thanks Widget!
I did a test eating 1 cup and my readings weren't nearly as good, so I am sticking with 1/2 cup servings.

From what I have read on the web, resistant starch helps control blood sugar levels. Researchers see lower blood sugar and insulin levels after eating resistant starch. It also has the ability to improve insulin resistance.

Judging by your readings and mine, plus the readings I have taken since then when I eat potato salad, at the 2 hour mark, our bg drops below what it was before we ate the potato salad, so that tells me the research is true, it does help lower blood sugar levels.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Okay, I finally did this. My BG can spike when I eat too much protein. It went down a couple points 1hour after eating and remained there 2 hours after eating 1/2 cup of potato salad made this way. Made mine with hard boiled egg, undrained dill pickle relish, mayo, mustard and celery seed. Yummo.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Okay, I finally did this. My BG can spike when I eat too much protein. It went down a couple points 1hour after eating and remained there 2 hours after eating 1/2 cup of potato salad made this way. Made mine with hard boiled egg, undrained dill pickle relish, mayo, mustard and celery seed. Yummo.
I'm glad you tried it. I know it's difficult for people to believe that eating potato salad can bring their blood sugar down instead of up.

I use sweet pickles in my potato salad because DH likes it that way, but sometimes I do dills, it's good either way.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oldtimer
This is great technology but you ought to approach with caution. Not only does the process rely on correct food prep but you are eating high starch & high GI foods. They are the only ones that retrograde well. Lower GI foods like waxy potatoes such as new potatoes do not produce much retrograded starch. You will greatly decrease the GI if it is done properly making it safer to eat. Not everyone reacts it exact same way. The same individule may not act the same way twice with the exact same food.

Non retrograded resistant starches are much safer to experiment with. They have low GIs because of the resistant starch and do not rely on food prep to make them safe to eat. Beans, lentals and barley are resistant rich foods.

Giaaaa everyone has GI spikes with hight GI foods. Heathy persons have lower spikes that are shorter lived. Persons that can't produce much insulin or are very insulin resistant have much higher and longer spikes that may damage their body.

Last edited by oldtimer; 05-05-2014 at 12:44 PM..
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote