Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Thanks for the tip Brenda! My book came yesterday. I agree with you that with all the recipe calculators out there, getting the nutritional counts will not be a problem. I already convert a lot of low calorie recipes (Cooking Light etc) to low carb by subbing pasta for Dreamfields and have to recalculate anyway.

I miss french bread the most on this way of life and am anxious to see if the Italian made into rolls will fill that hole!!

Thanks again!
Leigh
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
OK . So may I ask if the yeast ones are with nut and seed flours? I would love to make yeast italian rolls. My mind is wondering.......

That would be worth buying. But I do love cookbooks.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Actually rose thorn I just looked in the cookbook and what they says if u miss the taste of yeast you can add it but it will only add flavor not leveling. They tell u how to do it in the book
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thanks Brenda.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
Peter Reinhart's an excellent baker and I've always been very impressed with his recipes in the past (the full carb ones), and this book has gotten many great reviews, so after seeing your post about it, I couldn't resist, and ordered it. However, I also ordered a book for my son for Christmas, which isn't due to be released til mid-December, so the baking book won't be shipping til the other one ships, since I got them together at amazon... Heh, guess I just ordered myself a Christmas present, huh? It looks great, though, and I'll look forward to trying the Italian bread first thing!
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Would it be rude to ask?

You to post the bread rolls recipe?

Barbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
You to post the bread rolls recipe?

I can check with Denene Wallace.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I heard back from Denene Wallace and she gave her blessing to post this recipe. She also asked me to post her website but I know I can't do that and I'm guessing everybody on this thread already knows it. I friended her on Facebook and she is great about asking any questions you may have.

Also, I have my book with me today if anybody has any questions I can look it up.

Here's the recipe:

Italian Herb Bread

Makes 1 loaf (10-12 slices)

The combination of herbs in this savory loaf is just one possibility among many. Feel free to substitute your favorite herbs for those we suggest. You could also use a blend, such as herbes de Provence, which contains many of the herbs listed here, plus lavender. Whatever herbs you choose, use a light hand- even small quantities of some herbs pack a punch, and too much can easily overwhelm the subtle flavors of the nut and seed flours.

2 cups (8oz/227g) almond flour
1 cup (4oz/113g) brown or golden flaxseed meal
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
½ tsp dried basil or 1 tbs minced fresh basil
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, ground black pepper or a combination
½ tsp dried rosemary or minced fresh rosemary
½ tsp dried parsley or 1 tbs minced fresh Italian parsley
¼ tsp dried thyme or 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1/8 tsp dried oregano or ½ tsp minced fresh oregano
4 eggs (7oz/198g)
1 cup (8oz/227g) unsweetened soy milk or other milk
½ cup (4oz/113g) salted butter or margarine, melted

Preheat the oven to 375. Line a 4 ½ by 8 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, then mist the pay with spray oil.

In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, basil, red pepper flakes, rosemary, parsley, thyme and oregano and whisk until well mixed. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and butter until thoroughly blended. Add the flour mixture and stir with a large spoon for 1 to 2 minutes to make a smooth, sticky, and pourable batter (see page 27).

Pout the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes, then rotate and bake for about 35 more minutes, until golden brown and springy when pressed in the center and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.

Let the bread cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before turning out the loaf. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.

VARIATION

Cheese and Herb Bread. Add ½ cup (about 2oz/57g) of any grated cheese when mixing the dry ingredients. Alternatively, sprinkle the cheese over the top of the bread about 4
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Yum, thanks for sharing the recipe!! Can't wait to try it!! Just waiting for my almond flour to arrive!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thanks for the recipe. It looks great!!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
It is good. I made sandwich rolls with this recipe. Very good.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you very much PaminKY.

It was so nice of you to ask Denise and to post for us.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
Would Guar Gum be an acceptable substitute for xanthan gum?
MiRedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
For a recipe with yeast, I wouldn't recommend substituting guar for xantham. (Guar usually works better for me in cold stuff -- I tend towards xantham for anything baked or that has an acidic component.)

That said, I guess you can try it and see. Usually you need more guar than xantham, 1.5x.

YMMV!
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #45
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Pam, thanks for posting the recipe and a BIG thank you to Denene for letting you do so!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
For a recipe with yeast, I wouldn't recommend substituting guar for xantham. (Guar usually works better for me in cold stuff -- I tend towards xantham for anything baked or that has an acidic component.)

That said, I guess you can try it and see. Usually you need more guar than xantham, 1.5x.

YMMV!
There's no yeast in this recipe.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pam

Thanks for typing and for procuring the recipe from Denese.

I wrote you a thank you yesterday but I'm afraid it didn't post.

Hugs.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Garbanzo Onion Bread

I baked this loaf this evening and it is lovely in appearance. I was initially concerned as the batter filled the pan to within 1/2 inch of the top; however, it was just fine and rose without dripping over the edge. I will do a test taste tomorrow and let you know the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garbanzo Onion Bread.jpg (39.4 KB, 35 views)
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I made the toasting bread last night. Odd that it was in the oven 45 minutes then turn and ANOTHER 45 minutes. Well that and then letting it cool in the pan for 15 put it past my bedtime. , soooo, went to bed smelling bread in my house. Is that not better than counting sheep or what??!! So will try it today. Kind of pricey to make, but if I can get something I like toasted will be worth it to me. I have yet to find a LC bread (not purchased through a web site nor TJ's) that I enjoy toasted AND makes a loaf.

Same here, will test it today and post what I think of it. It does look very nice.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
thanks for the recipe It sounded so good that I just ordered the book
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Garbanzo Onion Bread

Taste test took place this morning. Flavor was great and surprisingly, not very oniony which was a little disappointing.

Texture was a little delicate and it required a high setting in toaster oven to brown. I should have been more careful when handling the warm loaf as it is a little cracked on the sides.

I was initially concerned like Tilly as the recipe called for 40 minutes of baking at 375 degrees and then turning the loaf around and baking another 40 minutes! I reduced that time and the temperature to 350 because my pan is a nonstick black pan which is a surefire recipe for overbaked, overbrowned goods!

I would bake this again and am glad I bought the cookbook. I am impressed with the recipe--I was not expecting this to come out as the ingredients were unusual and that long bake time!

By the way, for storage, authors recommend refrigerating in plastic bag and placing a paper towel in the bag to soak up oil that comes to surface of baked item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garbanzo Onion Bread.jpg (39.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by TBipp; 11-12-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I made the toasting bread last night. Odd that it was in the oven 45 minutes then turn and ANOTHER 45 minutes. Well that and then letting it cool in the pan for 15 put it past my bedtime. , soooo, went to bed smelling bread in my house. Is that not better than counting sheep or what??!! So will try it today. Kind of pricey to make, but if I can get something I like toasted will be worth it to me. I have yet to find a LC bread (not purchased through a web site nor TJ's) that I enjoy toasted AND makes a loaf.

Same here, will test it today and post what I think of it. It does look very nice.
Am anxious to hear your results Tilly as I almost made this recipe instead of Garbanzo Onion loaf. Did you use real eggs or did you purchase liquid egg whites? The photo of the Toasting Bread in the cookbook looks great.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
OK . So may I ask if the yeast ones are with nut and seed flours? I would love to make yeast italian rolls. My mind is wondering.......

That would be worth buying. But I do love cookbooks.
P.S. I highly recommend the site that sells everything, got it for about 1/2 the regular bookstore price. I put things on my Wish List so when I have enough, I get the free shipping.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
Am anxious to hear your results Tilly as I almost made this recipe instead of Garbanzo Onion loaf. Did you use real eggs or did you purchase liquid egg whites? The photo of the Toasting Bread in the cookbook looks great.
I purchased the large WalMart brand container of egg whites and just poured them into a bowl on a scale I have. To me, too many yolks wasted. I will let you know tonight. For some reason I need something sweet with my lunch and crave bread with dinner. (Okay, okay, need is probably not the right word, I know! )
Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Well darn, I can't use flax. This sounded so promising. Guess I'll stick to Maria's Sub/Bun recipe...still having success with it.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Well darn, I can't use flax. This sounded so promising. Guess I'll stick to Maria's Sub/Bun recipe...still having success with it.
Not to try and sell this book, but there are recipes in there that do not have flax, "Any Nut Bread, Hazelnut Bread, Simple Cloverleaf Rolls, Italien Cloverleaf Rolls, Hot Cross Buns", I could go on and on.

Bread recipes are the one thing on this site that I cannot seem to like from all the wonderful contributions on this site. And I have tried probably every one of them, sorry.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post

Hi Tilly,

What were the results?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, here goes, I really liked it the first night. I liked it the next day but then after that it wasn't so good. By the day after that I thought it was quite nasty and tossed it. You think the flax perhaps?

So last night I made the Any Nut Bread. Now that is quite good. Even toasted a couple of pieces today and they were good. I made some pecan flour, so used that as my other nut flour.

To make the pecan flour for the toasting bread, ground it in my mini food processor then finished it off in my coffee grinder used not for coffee. Did not want to waste the flour, so used that in the recipe. It does call for a more course grind which I gather would be a meal. So perhaps next time I will not grind it so fine and try again, and I'll bet the bread texture will be different. But at least right now the flavor is good but dense.

Going to try some others. New one for me, sesame seed flour, why not if you can purchase them in bulk and pretty inexpensive.

Anyone else do any experimenting?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I have not tried any other recipes; however, I am extremely pleased with the flavor of the Garbanzo Onion bread one week later. I should have baked it longer, and have ordered a regular loaf pan as baking time is iffy in my nonstick black pan.

I intend to try more recipes as this one was so good. I purchased sesame flour so I could try some of those recipes--focaccia perhaps?

I really like this cookbook.

Teresa
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I have not tried any other recipes; however, I am extremely pleased with the flavor of the Garbanzo Onion bread one week later. I should have baked it longer, and have ordered a regular loaf pan as baking time is iffy in my nonstick black pan.

I intend to try more recipes as this one was so good. I purchased sesame flour so I could try some of those recipes--focaccia perhaps?

I really like this cookbook.

Teresa
didn't think you could purchase sesame flour, I see Netrition does not carry it. Where did you purchase yours?