Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Healthy CREAM OF WHEAT (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/783366-healthy-cream-wheat.html)

Ginaaaaaa 09-17-2012 09:00 AM

Healthy CREAM OF WHEAT

This recipe is from maria's health blog, you can google the name to find more of her recipes. She has recipes in the amoung friends cookbooks too. I have been making this for a couple weeks and it is really yummy!! I would warm the milk and then add it to the other ingredients that way you can adjust how much liquid you need to make the cereal to your liking.

Healthy CREAM OF WHEAT

¾ cup of warm unsweetened vanilla or chocolate almond milk
2 TBS freshly ground golden flaxseeds (or more for a thicker "cereal")
1-2 tsp psyllium husk
1 scoop vanilla or chocolate egg white/whey protein
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 drop of stevia glycerite
½ tsp of nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon Optional: you can add some coconut flakes, nuts or peanut butter to this recipe.

Combine warm milk, flax, whey, stevia, cinnamon and nutmeg (and other toppings) in a bowl. Stir well and let sit for a few minutes until the “oatmeal” thickens. Enjoy!

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving): Traditional Cream of Wheat with Skim Milk = 230 calories, 39.6 carbs, 1.3 fiber, 12 protein “Healthified” Cream of Wheat = 230 calories, 5g carbs, 4g fiber, 29g protein

Buffy45 09-17-2012 11:08 AM

Sounds great, been looking for a LC hot cereal.

Brendajm 09-17-2012 01:37 PM

how does the tummy do with all that fiber from the flax

Ginaaaaaa 09-19-2012 08:22 AM

I don't have any tummy upset but it does move things right along, if you know what I mean. I think it's due to the psyllium husk... I use the 2 tsp when I make it.

I think it's the closest thing to cream of wheat I have tried and it's really easy to make.
I make up a large bag and keep it in the fridge so whenever I feel like having a bowl I just measure out about 1/4 cup and add it to warm almond milk or sometimes I use half and half or cream/water mix.

Be sure to drink plenty of liquidd with this because of the added fiber. I always drink a lot of water during the day, so that's not a problem for me.

CarolynF 11-24-2012 07:53 AM

bumping for winter

CarolynF 11-24-2012 07:55 AM

I sort of made this yesterday..But after I combined the dry ingredients, I added some
boiling water to hydrate it and get the texture I wanted.

Then I added some heavy cream..Maybe 1 to 2 Tbs. Very yummy..

dmburk 05-23-2013 05:06 AM

I have been eating this made with 2 TB goldern flaxmeal, 1 heaping tsp psylium powder, 1/2 to 3/4 c. hot water, sweetner, and maple flavoring. Stir in 1 to 2 TB half n half and enjoy a long lasting breakfast. Love the flax effect!

tofucheez 05-23-2013 04:23 PM

With the protein powder added, this is pretty much the same thing as one of those super expensive hot cereal mixes for sale.....like 8 bucks a bag. this is much easier on the wallet and customizable to boot.

Smiles 05-24-2013 12:00 PM

I like this too. Thanks, Gina :)

Tracy