Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peggy's Individual White Bread

This recipe came out the "whitest" of all bread recipes I've tried to date. I didn't slice it so evenly, did I?

I plan on trying to make it in a conventional oven to see if I can get a brown crust look to the surface. I'll post back how that comes out. I basically just removed the flax from my Individual Chia Bread recipe and subbed in almond flour. The result is very good, very nice soft/elastic texture, milder flavor and not so filling as my other flax chia version. I think I'll be using this one for sandwiches like PBJ, where I want a more neutral taste; using the other recipe that has the flax for sandwiches I like whole grain/rye breads for, like tuna and grilled cheese.

Not sure how this toasts yet, but am going to make it again in the morning to see and will post back my toasting findings.

This quick bread is suitable for all those who have reached the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL carb ladder. If you are Paleo-Primal but occasionally allow yourself protein powders, this would be OK for you as well. To make your chia gel, mix 1 part ground chia seed with 9 parts water and shake several times intermittently over 10-15 minutes. It will thicken right up. Store leftover gel in the fridge for about 1 week.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp. olive oil
½ T. chia gel (made using 1 part ground chia seed : 9 parts water)
1½ T. water
pinch salt
2 T. whey protein powder, unflavored, unsweetened
¼ c. almond flour
½ tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS: In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg, olive oil, chia gel and water together until smooth. Measure the dry ingredients on top and stir to blend well. Pour into square baking dish that is at least 1″ deep. Microwave on HI for 1 minute. Center will be dry to the touch when it is done. Cook few seconds longer if needed. Tip out onto cutting board and cool a few minutes. Slice laterally as evenly as possible into two slices and enjoy any way you would normally use sliced white bread!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 slices. Entire recipe contains:

358 calories
26.4 g fat
8.1 g carbs, 3.3 g fiber, 4.8 g NET CARBS
32.4 g protein
454 mg sodium
217 mg potassium
27% RDA Vitamin B12, 10% A, 33% calcium, 29% iron, 53% phosphorous, 22% riboflavin and 29% selenium

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
This looks terrific and very easy. It's great that you ar willing to try so many variations to get the best product.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Sure is very white, Peggy. I don't have Chia seeds. One day may break down and purchase some.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Soobee. Jen, I think it's the chia that give it the elasticity I'm liking.

Wanted to report back my findings on toasting this. I toasted a piece this morning. No surprises. It'll get brown like toast alright. And it'll get firm enough to hold rigidly in your hand and eat with jam. But it did not, nor will it ever in this lifetime, get crunchy as I define crunchy, or have that toast taste we all crave that only flour/grains can give. Why, because there's no GRAIN IN IT! So as with most LC breads, they are better suited to sandwich making and dinner rolls than toast. None of them float my boat for "toast". I'm resigned to that fact now.

Only thing you might try for a toastier result would be to introduce ½ tsp. oat fiber or a 1 T. oat flour. But I don't do grains anymore, so you folks will have to test those waters yourselves.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
The bread looks great. I know you what you mean about the real toast crunch too. Thank you for the recipe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is a GF recipe I found, but have not tried it yet. I don't know if you can eat these ingredients, but thought I'd post it anyway.

Crunchy Gluten-Free Bread

(makes one round loaf)
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
3/4 cup arrowroot starch
3/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 brown rice flour
2 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp GF dry yeast

1 1/2 cups barely warm water
1 tbsp olive oil

Oil + Cornmeal for the pan and dish
  • Oil a pyrex or ceramic 2 qt casserole round-dish
  • In a mixer, combine the first 8 ingredients and mix at low speed for a few minutes while you prepare the wet ingredients (olive oil+water) in a small bowl
  • Keep the mixer on and pour the wet ingredients into the dry. When the batter forms, increase the speed to medium and mix for 5 minutes.
  • Transfer the batter to the pyrex or ceramic dish and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Keep in draft-free area and let rise for 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 400F. Place a medium bowl filled with water on the bottom rack of the oven. Oil a cookie-sheet and dust with cormeal.
  • Invert the bread onto the prepared cookie-sheet and place in the oven.
  • After 15 minutes, very carefully remove the bowl of water from the oven and dump the content in the sink.
  • Continue baking for another 15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the internal temperature reaches 200F.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for posting that Nigel, but the only ingredient on that list I can eat on Paleo is the salt. So I better stick with the recipe above.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, an aside, but one of my website readers pointed out my "Click to enlarge" function for pics there wasn't working. I'd noticed it this past couple weeks but thought the issue was with my pc's photo viewer. Not. But after asking the Wordpress folks about it today, I got a quick fix and have all the pics (including this bread) enlarging properly once again when you click on them. And that's how I spent MY Labor Day Afternoon.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh bummer about the ingredients. I do understand how it is when you can't eat certain things though.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is how the white bread looks toasted lightly.

When I toasted it browner, it got more rigid, but never reached the toasty, crunchy state flour breads do. but then no LC bread I've made to date has reached that toasting Nirvana. Not sure anything but flour toasts that way. Sigh of resignation on the toasting.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Still looks wonderful!!!!! Got to try it when I start eating bread again. Had to cut back lately.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Peggy, as I've told you on your blog, I've experimented with subbing out part of the almond flour with oat fiber & flaxmeal. Mine does get crunchy toasty. (But I know you can't use those, so it doesn't help you.) As for the toasty taste, I guess now that you mention it it doesn't. But it has been 9 years since I've had regular toast, so I guess I've forgotten. It tastes good to me. My favorite low carb bread & toast is still my tweaked version of Kevin's Carbalose #4. But it contains wheat, and I've been avoiding it lately. Also haven't wanted to heat up the house with the oven anyway. And it does toast up nicely, or at least I think so. But again, won't help you, as you can't eat it.
I've also been adding some Fakeability (homemade version of Cakeability that used to be sold on Netrition, but is no longer even produced). I think it has been helping with the texture. I have yet to make this new white bread version as written, as I add the oat fiber & flax (may try just subbing oat fiber next time if I remember) to cut carbs. The oat fiber also helps with texture. I forgot to try just the oat fiber & leave out the flax this morning. I find this (with my tweaks anyway) so filling I only need one half for breakfast with my eggs. That is very unusual for me!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It is marvelously filling, isn't it, Billie? That's a real plus for folks fighting snacking issues. I'll bet the oat fiber really does enhance texture. I'm really going to miss my oat fiber from now on, as I remove all wheat products from my life. Sigh. But I can live with this bread as written. We do what we have to to meet our WOE plan.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
It is marvelously filling, isn't it, Billie? That's a real plus for folks fighting snacking issues. I'll bet the oat fiber really does enhance texture. I'm really going to miss my oat fiber from now on, as I remove all wheat products from my life. Sigh. But I can live with this bread as written. We do what we have to to meet our WOE plan.
I thought oat was not a wheat product or do you mean grains? I am so confused!! I cannot wait to try th recipe out though!!
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oats ARE a grain jdcri. But Dr. Davis in Wheat Belly doesn't speak much more highly of oats and other grains like barley, oats and quinoa than he does flour, as to how the body processes/metabolizes those grains. As I'm on Paleo now, I am supposed to eliminate all grain and grain by-products.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Oh I know they are a grain, I just was confused because you wrote all wheat products!! But I now see you have to eliminate all grains... that stinks but as long as you feel better it will be worth it!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do feel better, Jdcri. I'm on DAY 23 of my Whole30 Challenge and not missing the dairy, wheat, grain at all. Still miss the artificial sweetener in my morning coffee though. I've gotten used to coconut cream in the coffee, but still crave it sweet. But I'm resisting the stevia bottle so far.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I could forego the grains and wheat products but... not the dairy or sweeteners!! i am a sugar addict and NEED them!! Plus cheese and heavy cream are a main stay for me!

Good for you!!!!! That must have been so hard the first week!!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I do feel better, Jdcri. I'm on DAY 23 of my Whole30 Challenge and not missing the dairy, wheat, grain at all. Still miss the artificial sweetener in my morning coffee though. I've gotten used to coconut cream in the coffee, but still crave it sweet. But I'm resisting the stevia bottle so far.
Hi Peggy,
I bought some almond cheese a while back and it was pretty good. I didn't try melting it, but it compared with cheddar (and a little of my own imagination), but I was surprised that it wasn't too bad...not exactly like regular cheese, but then what is?...Just thought I'd mention it. I have no idea what brand it was or the ingredients, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for that info, Nigel. Actually I have read some recipes and watched a youtube video for making for almond cheese, but have never seen it in a store. Why didn't I think of that? the one in the video I watched last year would make a sub for perhaps cream cheese or ricotta in recipes. I'll have to start looking for the cheddar variety at maybe Whole Foods or HEB Central Market in Austin. I might even try to make some of the cream cheese version myself!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It sure is Peggy!!!! I can't believe I only need 1 slice!! (That's 1/2 the recipe -split latterly!!!!) So 1 recipe is 2 days for me, if I'm the only one eating it at the time. (and of course, if I don't use the other half for something later on.)
I made it with all oat fiber replacing the flax (that I was using) today, & it wasn't at all bad, but I do think only 1 TBsp OF (if one can use it) to replace some of the almond meal is actually enough. But boy did it rise!!!! I know it would be good tho made the way you make it with all almond flour.
Just a thought, I have also been adding Fakeability (homemade Cakeability). And I also think it really helps. I don't think it has any ingredients that you can't use. It really helps with almond flour recipes. You might check into it, and see what you think. IF like I think, you can use it, I think you would find it helps. I use about 1 tsp in this recipe. There were some posts popped up on it again a little while back. If you need me to, I can bump it/them up for you. Even tho it is no longer sold or even produced, you can still find it on Netrition (the Cakeability) for a description.
Yes, ya gotta do what ya feel ya gotta do!
Me, I could go without any wheat if I thought I really had to, but staying away from the oats completely, and some of the other grains, and the sweeteners would really be hard for me. I've been at this for 9 years, and tho I decided long ago that this is a WOL for me, I also decided a couple of years ago, that since it is a WOL, I'm not gonna deny myself of absolutely everything. I do try to stay strickly low carb, won't eat sugared & floured desserts, and try not to eat bad carbs. But sometimes it happens when I'm away from home (not the sugared desserts), just so I can eat!
But we all must decide what we can & can't,,, will and won't do!
Personally it's not coffee thats the problem with the sweeteners. DON"T like sweet coffee, but now the dairy, no cream for my coffee that's a different story!!!! I've tried coconut milk, and that just didn't do it. Now if I HAD to, I could go that route, but so far I don't feel the need.

Thanks again for sharing your recipes!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't like coconut MILK in coffee either, Bleh. But the coconut CREAM is so much richer to me, I can handle that in coffee. Not as good as HWC, but it'll do in a pinch.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found the recipe and am going to try some in my next bread. I CAN eat all those ingredients! Thanks so much for the tip. I look forward to seeing how it enhances things!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Where was I when this was put up. Peggy that looks amazing.I can eat everything in that recipe.

I just found a recipe for cashew cheese , it looks like cream cheese.

Amazing!!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've HAVE seen recipes for the cashew cheese, Esther. In fact, I think Vanessa R posted one here at LCF last year for a decorator frosting recipe, if I recall correctly.

This is still the bread I fix most often now, Esther, as I'm eliminating all wheat and also trying to cut down flax. This one doesn't "intrude" on the flavors of what's IN the sandwich, like so many other LC breads do. Really white and really neutral, this one.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm allergic to flax so this one is good for me.

No that was almond cream cheese good but not cheese. Vanessa's is wonderful and I love it.

This one is suppose to taste like cheese. We will see.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, now I remember hers was almond. I saw the cashew recipe over on a Paleo recipe website I think. I'd be curious to know how it comes out for you. I keep raw cashews around all the time for a little cheesecake recipe I've done.

I made four of my Individual White Breads earlier that should last me or awhile.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Fakeability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I've also been adding some Fakeability (homemade version of Cakeability that used to be sold on Netrition, but is no longer even produced). I think it has been helping with the texture. I have yet to make this new white bread version as written, as I add the oat fiber & flax (may try just subbing oat fiber next time if I remember) to cut carbs. The oat fiber also helps with texture. I forgot to try just the oat fiber & leave out the flax this morning. I find this (with my tweaks anyway) so filling I only need one half for breakfast with my eggs. That is very unusual for me!
Can you post this recipe? the one for "Fakebility" ? Thanks so much
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Here ya go Elaine. This is from Taterhead.

I got this from another site, haven't tried it yet, but plan to as soon as I get some Just whites.

Faux cake-ability homemade version:

1/4 cup of egg white powder (like JustWhites)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 Vitamin C tablet - crushed. Or 1 tsp. Powder*

Vitamin C tablets crushed them to a fine powder in coffee mill. Yes, you need the Vitamin C. It acts as an acid to activate the baking soda which raises the whole thing!

You can add this to your other conventional recipes that have a base of ground nuts. Just use ¼ C. per 1 C. ground nuts.

Hope this helps.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for posting that for her Ester!

Here is a link to a post about it (there are others on here as well, but this one is a very good one). Cakeability? = Add in for cooking with nut flour

I'm sure I don't use near the 1/4-1 cup ratio in this recipe (or many others), but i do put some in to try to help. (I'm a big tweaker, and have tweaked this recipe to my preferred ingredients.)