Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Biscuits from this bread recipe

I doubled this white bread recipe today and baked it in the oven for biscuits. Here's how they came out:
and this is the pan I baked them in. Slots are about 3/4" deep.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
So Peggy you are using white chia seeds when you made them. So you baked them today!!!!!

I made one and my chia seeds are black, thats all I can find. I'm getting ready to eat it. Lovely.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Peggy, can you write out the whole recipe? I don't think this is your chia biscuit. And I have made your original recipe, it did not look like this last picture.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Esther, I use a 50:50 mixture of the white and black chia and I always grind mine before making my gel.

Tilly, I just doubled the Peggy's Individual White Bread recipe in post #1 of this thread to show you guys what it looks like baked up as biscuits in a conventional oven.

The chia biscuit I posted on my website and in its own thread on LCF earlier today is a totally different recipe that uses Ouizoid's new egg protein flour mix, tweaked a bit, of course. I'd rather not post that second recipe here so as not to hijack the thread with a different recipe and confuse.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Esther, I use a 50:50 mixture of the white and black chia and I always grind mine before making my gel.

Tilly, I just doubled the Peggy's Individual White Bread recipe in post #1 of this thread to show you guys what it looks like baked up as biscuits in a conventional oven.

The chia biscuit I posted on my website and in its own thread on LCF earlier today is a totally different recipe that uses Ouizoid's new egg protein flour mix, tweaked a bit, of course. I'd rather not post that second recipe here so as not to hijack the thread with a different recipe and confuse.
Okay so just same recipe just different pan. Thank you very much! Once again on the search. I have held off on a lot of foods for a few months to get my weight under control. Seem to have reached that point, thank goodness. So now adding in foods, sweets, breads, very carefully.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok Thanks Peggy . I didn't realze that you grind the chia first. Mine looks like poppy seed white bread. LOL.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Ok Thanks Peggy . I didn't realze that you grind the chia first. Mine looks like poppy seed white bread. LOL.
Esther thank you for pointing that out about grinding the chia first. What does that do?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Grinding just makes it less visible in the final baked goods as far as I know. It may facilitate gel making, but I can't see any difference on that front, really. If you look closely at my chia recipe pics, you can see the seeds a little, but not too much.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

I can barely see them. LOL mine you can see them. I will grind next time.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I used to have trouble getting ground chia seeds to gel. Now I follow a tip from Peggy, and use hot water. It really helps it gel.
Thanks Peggy!
I use a 1/2 pint jar, add hot water, and 2TBsp seeds (water to bottom or rings), screw on lid, and shake often till it is gelled.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My bag (Nutiva Naturals) recommended 1:9 on the back, so that's what I've always used. The hot water really helps speed up the process, but cold will eventually gel up for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My bag (Nutiva Naturals) recommended 1:9 on the back, so that's what I've always used. The hot water really helps speed up the process, but cold will eventually gel up for me.
I had read your 1:9 ratio, but decided to try the 2TBsp to 1 cup water (basically), as it was easier for me to figure, and it works well for me, so that's how I do it. Once in a while it didn't blend really well, and it is a lot thicker toward the end of the jar, and I just add a tiny bit more water to it, and shake well. But it isn't always necessary.
It's just easier for me to figure this than trying to figure out the 1:9 ratio. I'm terrible with numbers!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Peggy, I still have a bread recipe of yours that uses Carbquik and Jen's bake mix and cream cheese. I know you don't use Carbquik any more, but I have some of Kevin's final cake and cookie blend that I want to use. How did/does that recipe compare in flavor/texture to this one?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Actually, this is real close to flavor of my Carbquick focaccia and Quick Bread, which USED to be my fav bread recipes. Been thinking about increasing the recipe volume and seeing what kind of focaccia I can make with this individual recipe. Seems like if the biscuits above cooked OK, a focaccia with this is possible, too. I'll test that out soon because I'm almost out of LC bread in my fridge.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I have questions,

Billie how much Fakeability do you use in this recipe.

Peggy, is it suppose to be thick or thin batter? I made it tonight and it was thin, the bread came out very much like your picture though. It was a little dry,and still a bit wet in the middle so I need to nuke it for a few more seconds next time. Should I add more chia to make it more moist? Great recipe, thanks

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Debbie, I think I used 1 tsp (maybe 1/2?). I've been making up a batch of dry mix, and using a scoop of that, and now I can't remember for sure on the individual bread recipe. I thought for sure i had it added into one of my recipes in my files, but the only one I can find it in is in the batch mix.
I will say that I did the recipe X 20 for my batch mix, and I used 1/3 cup in the batch. (I think I just rounded it up or down to the 1/3 cup.)
It was just guess work anyway.
I'm thinking possibly that is about 1 tsp per bread recipe.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I cooked recipe x 6 for a large sheet of this. Cooked it in the conventional oven and not only did it stick to the latex baking sheet in the pan (which really shocked me), but it didn't seem to have the same texture either. Flavor was the same. Maybe I mismeasured something. I plan to try it again as a sheet though. I will be using my failed sheet as bread crumbs when I need them. Most of it tore up trying to get it out of the pan. I'll have bread crumbs to last forever!

Debbie, my batter on this bread is like a thick cake batter, pretty wet, in other words. Definitely less thick than cookie dough/batter. But the recipe has never cooked up dry for me, which is why I like it so much. If yours was wet in the middle I suspect it needed a little more cooking time for the shape/size baking dish you used and for your wattage of microwave. Mine's an 1150 watt MW and 1 minute cooks it perfectly in a square glass food storage dish.

The dryness you noticed might be caused by a difference in the brands of protein powder. I use NOW unflavored, unsweetened.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-25-2013 at 07:11 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Billie, I wa thinking for this small of a recipe 1/2 tsp would work. This bread is so neutral in taste, no flavor at all, So it needs something. I think maybe some white shredded cheese maybe? plus a pk of splenda. I want wonder bread taste.

It's a keeper Peggy and my son does Primal Blurprint, so he is VERY picky about what I make. I can't wait for him to try this bread.

Debbie
Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peggy use the now brand also. My batter was really wet, not like pancake batter , so maybe I was heavy handed on the liguids.

I got my white Chia seeds at Sprouts in the bins where they sell the flours by the pound. I was surprised because they only had black seeds in bags. I got a small amount, cost me 43 cents.

PS, I need to make a trip to Temple to see you, I live in Round Rock, hint hint

Debbie

Last edited by Tater Head; 01-25-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

RE: flavor, I taste the whey flavor, which is mild for sure. The only things I can think would move flavor more to flour-based bread might be 1 tsp. oat fiber. Or perhaps 1-2 tsp. oat flour, but that's a grain (and not all fiber like the oat fiber) and your son won't want the grain at all if he's doing Primal. I'm trying to stick to Primal but I'm just not willing to give up my oat fiber, EVER. It brings too much floury flavor and texture enhancement to totally eliminate it from my baking world. I rationalize eating oat fiber by saying it's 96% indigestible fiber, according to the Honeyville website. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

I just realized after making a double batch of this and heating up the conventional oven and preparing two little baking dishes, that you didn't post any time for your oven-baked biscuits or say how they came like or not like your microwaved version. Oh well, here goes wingin' it! Will post in a bit how they came out.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

this came out very well. I baked it at 350 for just under 30 minutes in two little baking dishes approximately 4x4". I love the golden crust! It is a hearty bread and I anticipate slicing each one into 4-5 thin slices. I want to microwave a recipe, too, to see if there is a difference in texture.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I did the same, Diana: 350║ for 20 minutes if I recall correctly. Yours look GREAT! when you microwave them, the texture is still smooth like the biscuits.....just no crust. And when you MW them, I think the whey protein taste comes through a bit more (and of course, they're almost pure white in color when MW'd).
Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #54
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
RE: flavor, I taste the whey flavor, which is mild for sure. The only things I can think would move flavor more to flour-based bread might be 1 tsp. oat fiber. Or perhaps 1-2 tsp. oat flour, but that's a grain (and not all fiber like the oat fiber) and your son won't want the grain at all if he's doing Primal. I'm trying to stick to Primal but I'm just not willing to give up my oat fiber, EVER. It brings too much floury flavor and texture enhancement to totally eliminate it from my baking world. I rationalize eating oat fiber by saying it's 96% indigestible fiber, according to the Honeyville website. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Are you using a Whey Isolate? I found when I used unflavoured Whey Isolate in my "bread" type baked goods I had to add a lot of garlic/onion powder to cover the nasty Whey taste.

I then discovered unflavoured Pea Protein which is GREAT (no nasty taste!) It is really good if you want a lighter less dense finished product. I was using it in combination with Pea Fibre until I got my order of Oat Fibre from Netrition.

I then lucked out and found a very inexpensive source of bulk unlfavoured Whey CONCENTRATE close to home. This stuff ROCKS! There is absolutely NO NASTY WHEY TASTE! There truly is no taste at all and it works wonderfully in "breads".
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yaz, this is what I bought last and it has worked well in all my recipes: NOW Whey Protein I never use it 100%, so the other ingredients mix well with it and if it has any taste, they sure disguise it for me. I dislike heavy dairy tastes immensely, so if it had a "nasty whey taste" in my baked goods, I'd be the first to notice it and toss it in the trash can. This brand appears to be a blend of wheys, according to Netrition's info at the top of the page there.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LSeeber
I just discovered this thread (via pinterest actually) and was wondering now that some time has passed...have you made any alterations to the recipe or methods since you created it? I'm going to give it a go but wondered about that. Do you find any difference in the taste or texture baking it in the oven as opposed to the microwave? Thanks!
LSeeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, I haven't really changed a thing on this recipe. I continue to make it it just as it is posted in post#1 page one of this thread. I really prefer this one baked int eh microwave. The "white" factor is psychologically important for me on this single-serve quick bread. I'm a Mrs. Baird's girl and like my bread white.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-22-2014 at 12:10 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Here ya go Elaine. This is from Taterhead.

I got this from another site, haven't tried it yet, but plan to as soon as I get some Just whites.

Faux cake-ability homemade version:

1/4 cup of egg white powder (like JustWhites)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 Vitamin C tablet - crushed. Or 1 tsp. Powder*

Vitamin C tablets crushed them to a fine powder in coffee mill. Yes, you need the Vitamin C. It acts as an acid to activate the baking soda which raises the whole thing!

You can add this to your other conventional recipes that have a base of ground nuts. Just use ╝ C. per 1 C. ground nuts.

Hope this helps.
Could you not use lemon juice or vinegar too? Or is the point simply to have a dry acid so you can mix large batches?

Also, are you adding the 1/4 cup, or substituting for 1/4 of a cup of the nut flour?

Furthermore I've been wondering about chia gel and oat fiber - Buttoni you seem to use either/or/both in all of your OMM/microwave baking recipes. I only have gum mixes, xanthan gum, and flax meal as far as "fibers" and gelling agents go - Would any of these work as substitutes for either the chia gel or oat fiber?

I'm not sure whether investing in oat fiber is worth it or not yet. I'm mainly baking bread-y things since I'm not a big dessert person to begin with, but have noticed some of my experiments have been either too crumbly (carbquik biscuits with only water and baking soda/powder added and butter cut in) or too soft/cakey. (scones)
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
My Gawd!!! You NAILED white bread! I am so impressed!

People, you have got to try this!!!

My kids and I all had bologna, cheese and Miracle Whip sandwiches for lunch!

My only complaint... it uses every measuring spoon in the kitchen!

Low Carb Miracle Whip

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 drops EZ-Sweetz
1 drop lemon drop stevia
pinch salt
pinch paprika
pinch garlic powder

Last edited by JHoberer; 04-04-2014 at 12:07 PM..
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Had it again today- bacon, garlic cheddar, avocado, greens, a tiny bit of tomato and homemade miracle whip.

JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote