Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Anybody good at making ice cream?

I have been trying to perfect an ice cream recipe for ages and I can't seem to get it right. I have a Cuisinart with the freezable core. I know if I use EZ sweetz, I will end up with a very hard ice cream when I freeze it. I can use a polyol sweetener to keep it more "scoopable" but I would prefer not to use sugar alcohols. I know some have mentioned using lecithin and glycerine(?) to improve the texture of their low carb ice creams, but I have no idea how to use either one. I have played around with Atkins and Dana Carpenders recipes. I found them to be too rich and to have a "greasy" mouth feel, for lack of a better term. So I have been playing with the ratio of low carb milk to heavy cream and I have also reduced the amout of egg yolks.

Here is the recipe I've been using. It tastes pretty good out of the churn, but I think it needs more cream because it tastes more like "ice milk" than ice cream. I like the sweetness level, but the granite-like texture when frozen is annoying.

1 1/4 cups Low carb milk (Hood)
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks
Vanilla
EZ sweetz to taste (about 20 drops)

If anybody has any ideas on how to improve this recipe or has a better one, your help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Here are a couple of threads to get you started.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...dventures.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...scoopable.html
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
it is probably of no practical benefit to you, but....

I am excellent at EATING ice cream. Well, u might need a sampler. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
jmc, I like you have been searching for a really good ice cream. I found this here, but don't remember who to give credit for it. I found it a little sweet for my taste, so next time will cut down on the Slenda some, which is what I used. It was still scoopable after 4 days in the freezer.

Simple Low Carb Ice Cream

2 C. Cream
1 C. Davinci (Flavor of choice)
2 C. sugar of choice
2 T. Veg. Glycerine
3 T. Lecithan
1/4 t. Xanthan
1/8 t. salt

I mixed it up in my Ninja (I'm sure a mixer would work) let sit in the fridge over night.
Next day process in your ice cream maker

Hope this works for you, I reaaly like it ............................... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
Can you get vegetable glycerine and lecithin in a grocery store? What isle?
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I have never tried using an ice cream freezer, so this is just a suggestion. why do you want to avoid erythritol? I think it's harmless and necessary for something like this.

if you are ok with uncooked eggs, try beating a couple egg whites till they start to get stiff, then beating in erythritol till glossy. add that to your mixture. I've used that in a frozen mousse and it was pretty good. (just flavored and mixed with whipped cream.) it's hard to get it at the right stage though... it goes from too soft to too hard pretty fast.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I have never tried using an ice cream freezer, so this is just a suggestion. why do you want to avoid erythritol? I think it's harmless and necessary for something like this.
erythritol, in my experience, makes the ice cream crumbly.

I use xylitol, and that eliiminated that. Also, adds to scoopability (and sweetness of course).

My basic recipe is similar to the one above--

2c cream
1c davinci or 1c half-n-half if using other concentrated flavorings...
1/4c xylitol-- sweetness and scoopability
2T vodka (for scoopability)
2T glycerine-- sweetness and scoopability
2 eggs (or use the lecithin)-- emulsion, richness
1/4 to 1/2 tsp of xanthan/guar gum mix (thickness/texture)

then other ingredients, like cocoa (1/3c, add extra sweetness like ez sweets or sweetzfree), or melted unsweet chocolate, or whatever.

I also use the cuisinart freeze-core model, though I just ordered a whynter sno model that has a compressor, so we'll see if the texture is any better.

BTW, I used the above, but subbed out the cream for almond milk, and upped the xanthan gum a bit-- came out like a sorbet!

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Eyedoc I think you can get vegetable glycerine at a store, I've heard people say it's in the cosmetic isle. Not sure if you can get lecithin, maybe at a health food store, if you have one in your area. I order both from Netrition........................... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you have a cake making/decorating store or art store that has that section, they'll have glycerine in the cake decorating section.

If you get it from any other aisle/location, make sure it's food grade. There's glycerine used in soap making, and, don't eat that.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. @sorenkkg, I almost bought some glycerine, but I just wasn't sure if it was food grade or not. I looked for lecithin, and couldn't find any. I will try some xylitol next time, although it does have some carbs where EZ sweetz does not. Ice cream is definitely a tricky thing, but ANYTHING would be better than CarbSmart ice cream. It tastes like chemicals.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi JMC

The thing with icecream is that, unlike cheesecake, it relies on the other properties of sugar for its texture, not just sweetness.

so without sugar, you have to incorporate other ingredients to get that same texture back.

Xylitol is one of the better sugar alcohols... it definitely helps with the texture of the icecream (usually, ingredients do this by either lowering the freezing temperature of the mix, so it doesn't freeze rock solid, or helping with the formation of smaller ice crystals, which makes is smoother and creamier).

Also, you might not be absorbing all those extra carbs-- many people only count part or none of "sugar alcohol" carbs. There's debate around that, so I'll leave that for another thread...

In my mix, I think I get 8 or 10 servings, and they're about 3-4 g net per serving, and my husband who LC's does well with them.

HTH
Soren
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Speaking of ice cream.......check out the Sweet Potato Cinnamon with Toasted Walnut ice cream Jill Bauer just posted this week on her PaleOMG website. It looks AMAZING! I can't wait to try it!! Don't have her permission to share here, so I can't even copy it for you, but it's well worth a peek.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-24-2012 at 01:44 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Buttoni!

I can't wait to get my new icecream maker-- not having to deal with the frozen core thing is going to be such a pleasure! That sounds like a great recipe to try, especially with Fall and the holidays around the (sort of long) corner
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
It looked totally sinful to me. But I'm not averse to being a might decadent from time to time.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
I am excellent at EATING ice cream. Well, u might need a sampler. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I've made ice cream once a week for about 2 1/2 years. It's the little cherry on the top of each low carb day. I have an ice cream machine. I make the ice cream, and pre-portion it into little plastic cups and into the freezer it goes! I'm sure I've made hundreds of flavors, by now.

My base is basically a frozen custard.

This is roughly what I do ...

8 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups cream
3 T glycerin
Probably about 1 1/2 cups erythritol, with a dash of powdered stevia mixed in.
1 tsp vanilla
A dash of salt
1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Heat the cream, then slowly whisk the hot cream into the eggs. Then, put the hot egg mixture back into the pot. Stir quickly, so the eggs don't scramble. At this point, whisk in all the rest of the ingredients, except the almond milk. This should dissolve everything. Keep whisking, until the bubbles stop forming on the surface and it thickens and coats a spoon. Then, I add the almond milk, mostly just to cool it down. Then, it goes into the ice cream machine!

I almost never make it like this, though. I'll use less erythritol and almond milk, and use some sugar free almond syrup, and a jar of sugar free strawberry jam, and toasted almonds, to get a straweberry almond flavor. Or, I'll substitute a good portion of the cream and almond milk and use canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie syrup. Or, I'll use coconut milk as part of it, and ginger and some lime zest. Or ... strained greek yogurt and blackberry jam ... or ... the list goes on and on. Basically, by following a rough ratio, then tasting the "base", you can make something that is almost always tasty. Sometimes the texture ranges from slightly crystalized to ... mind blowing, but it's never bad. It's always very good ... to AWESOME! Another trick ... I tend to "under" sweeten it, then taste the "base". If it's not to my liking, it's quite common for me to drip a few drops of liquid sucralose into it.

My favorite flavor so far? This one takes some extra steps, but ... it's a salty brown butter. OH MY!!! It's like that salty sweet sensation that comes from something like Kettle Corn. OH!!! SO GOOD!!

Lecithin weirded me out. I didn't understand it and quickly gave up, and moved onto the frozen custard base (eggs are high in lecithin and it helps the scoopability).

Between this and some other links, you should get some pretty great ideas. Good luck!

Ah ... one final note ... I read somewhere that the body doesn't process glycerin, if you're not in ketosis. So you don't count it as a carb if you're maintaining and not in ketosis. However, if you ARE in ketosis, I believe you DO count the carbs in the glycerin, and you run the risk of getting kicked out of ketosis. Just a thought for anyone willing to look it up. I'm not sure if this is true, but I definitely read something to that effect. Ultimately, I've lost a lot of weight eating this stuff daily, so ... it can't be all THAT bad!

Last edited by DJFoodie; 08-24-2012 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Added note about glycerin ...
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFoodie View Post
I've made ice cream once a week for about 2 1/2 years. It's the little cherry on the top of each low carb day. I have an ice cream machine. I make the ice cream, and pre-portion it into little plastic cups and into the freezer it goes! I'm sure I've made hundreds of flavors, by now.

My base is basically a frozen custard.

This is roughly what I do ...

8 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups cream
3 T glycerin
Probably about 1 1/2 cups erythritol, with a dash of powdered stevia mixed in.
1 tsp vanilla
A dash of salt
1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Heat the cream, then slowly whisk the hot cream into the eggs. Then, put the hot egg mixture back into the pot. Stir quickly, so the eggs don't scramble. At this point, whisk in all the rest of the ingredients, except the almond milk. This should dissolve everything. Keep whisking, until the bubbles stop forming on the surface and it thickens and coats a spoon. Then, I add the almond milk, mostly just to cool it down. Then, it goes into the ice cream machine!

I almost never make it like this, though. I'll use less erythritol and almond milk, and use some sugar free almond syrup, and a jar of sugar free strawberry jam, and toasted almonds, to get a straweberry almond flavor. Or, I'll substitute a good portion of the cream and almond milk and use canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie syrup. Or, I'll use coconut milk as part of it, and ginger and some lime zest. Or ... strained greek yogurt and blackberry jam ... or ... the list goes on and on. Basically, by following a rough ratio, then tasting the "base", you can make something that is almost always tasty. Sometimes the texture ranges from slightly crystalized to ... mind blowing, but it's never bad. It's always very good ... to AWESOME! Another trick ... I tend to "under" sweeten it, then taste the "base". If it's not to my liking, it's quite common for me to drip a few drops of liquid sucralose into it.

My favorite flavor so far? This one takes some extra steps, but ... it's a salty brown butter. OH MY!!! It's like that salty sweet sensation that comes from something like Kettle Corn. OH!!! SO GOOD!!

Lecithin weirded me out. I didn't understand it and quickly gave up, and moved onto the frozen custard base (eggs are high in lecithin and it helps the scoopability).

Between this and some other links, you should get some pretty great ideas. Good luck!

Ah ... one final note ... I read somewhere that the body doesn't process glycerin, if you're not in ketosis. So you don't count it as a carb if you're maintaining and not in ketosis. However, if you ARE in ketosis, I believe you DO count the carbs in the glycerin, and you run the risk of getting kicked out of ketosis. Just a thought for anyone willing to look it up. I'm not sure if this is true, but I definitely read something to that effect. Ultimately, I've lost a lot of weight eating this stuff daily, so ... it can't be all THAT bad!
Thank you for sharing. I just read your blog and about your weight loss journey. Congratulations!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Thank you for sharing. I just read your blog and about your weight loss journey. Congratulations!
Thanks! It's my little joke that I lost so much weight eating bacon and ice cream. While it's not 100% accurate, I'd bet it's close to 95%!!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Just found your blog. I will be a regular.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Me three! Not sure how I missed your blog before. . . but just added the ingredients for the "greatest salad ever" to my shopping list for today. I think Monday's lunch may be the highlight of my work day!
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

YAY! Yes, that salad is truly the best. Simple, a little sweet, and never ever boring. I've been eating some variation of that salad for near 20 years! It's ... YUM!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I have had very good luck lately with the following ingredients for 1 serving of homemade ice cream:

heavy whipping cream (~1/4 cup)
half & half (~ 1/4 cup)
vanilla extract (~1 tsp)
granular Truvia (to taste, I usually use 1 T)

Mix thoroughly with whisk, then pour into ice cream maker. Lately I have been throwing in some shredded coconut for extra delicious-ness. The consistency turns out perfect, solid yet creamy and smooth. WAY better than Dairy Queen or any scoopable ice cream from the grocery store. If I want it creamier, I use more cream and less half & half. You can also change the flavoring and throw in some other ingredients (fruit, etc.), but this is a great vanilla base.

I've tried a lot of combinations of sweeteners (both granular and liquid) and this recipe seems to work best for me.

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Lots of GREAT ideas in this thread, a big THANKS to everyone who contributed!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
I have had very good luck lately with the following ingredients for 1 serving of homemade ice cream:

heavy whipping cream (~1/4 cup)
half & half (~ 1/4 cup)
vanilla extract (~1 tsp)
granular Truvia (to taste, I usually use 1 T)

Mix thoroughly with whisk, then pour into ice cream maker. Lately I have been throwing in some shredded coconut for extra delicious-ness. The consistency turns out perfect, solid yet creamy and smooth. WAY better than Dairy Queen or any scoopable ice cream from the grocery store. If I want it creamier, I use more cream and less half & half. You can also change the flavoring and throw in some other ingredients (fruit, etc.), but this is a great vanilla base.

I've tried a lot of combinations of sweeteners (both granular and liquid) and this recipe seems to work best for me.
Great portion control, I will have to try this one, thank you!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Great portion control, I will have to try this one, thank you!
I have the Hamilton Beach Half Pint Ice Cream Maker -- great for portion control!!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
I have the Hamilton Beach Half Pint Ice Cream Maker -- great for portion control!!
I have that one as well, used it just about every day last summer. Bought a bigger one this year and scoop it out into individual containers. On the Hamilton Beach maker I just ate right out of the bowl and scraped every last morsel out of it!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Salad was absolutely fantastic. It will go in our regular rotation.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
Salad was absolutely fantastic. It will go in our regular rotation.
salad???? Thought this was an ice cream thread.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

LOL. It is -- I just got distracted when I visited DJ's blog and found the "greatest ever salad." Odd for me to have tried the salad recipe first. Maybe I'm growing up finally? Naw, probably isn't that. . .
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
LOL. It is -- I just got distracted when I visited DJ's blog and found the "greatest ever salad." Odd for me to have tried the salad recipe first. Maybe I'm growing up finally? Naw, probably isn't that. . .
Nawww, never grow up, no fun and I like to have fun. Just became acquainted with DH's blog and doesn't he have some wonderful different ideas? And again nothing to do with ice cream but he is going on an all-meat diet to drop quite a few pounds. Look over the pictures, oh my gosh!!!!!!

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread, ice cream! Waiting for my Netrition order to come so I can make his ice cream, takes a cup and a half, and they are selling 2.5 lb. bags now, so ordered 3! Ice cream here I come!!!!