Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Zucchini Noodles

I just got one of those slicers that makes zucchini noodles. Playing around with it my first time I made noodles 3 ft long! Cool. Now, how do I serve them? Cook first? Saute in garlic/olive oil and top with sauce?

Any suggestions, or favorite recipes, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Eric
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas

from The Clothes That Make the Girl

Ingredients:
2 small zucchini, julienned (about 2 cups) [Julienne peeler is essential.]
generous 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon almond flour or almond meal
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 eggs, scrambled
a handful of fresh parsley, minced for garnish (optional)
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Place the julienned zucchini in a colander or wire strainer and toss with the salt until coated. Allow to sit for 20 minutes to drain excess water, then rinse and pat dry with paper towels. (You may be tempted to skip this step; I strongly advise against it. This step insures tender, rather than watery, noodles.)

2. While the zucchini is sweating in the colander, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix the almond flour with the coconut oil, sprinkle it with a smidgen of salt, then sauté in the pan, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until it’s toasty brown, about 1 minute. Remove from pan and save for garnish.

3. Return the pan to the heat and add the zucchini noodles. Sauté until just tender, about 1-2 minutes. Push the noodles to the side of the pan, and reduce heat to medium-low. Wait a minute; it’s essential that the pan cools down before adding the eggs. Add the olive oil and garlic. When the garlic is fragrant, about 20 seconds, pour in the eggs and allow them to cook until just beginning to set a tiny bit. Mix the zucchini noodles into the egg and continue to stir gently and continuously until the egg is set and clinging to the noodles. Taste, then add salt and pepper to your liking.

4. Serve noodles in a deep bowl and sprinkle with the almond flour crumbs and minced parsley. Slurping and ridiculously big bites heartily encouraged.

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Pocahontas that looks really good!

Tonight I had the "noodles" and sauteed them with a piece of Laughing Cow cheese.

You may want to do a search on this forum for zoodles. I have many, many recipes using these. All are good and easy.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!

Thanks to both of you - these look great, and knowing that they are called Zoodles points me in the right direction. For dinner tonight, I just blanched them, and put some meat sauce over them. Really, really good, although I think the salting idea may be better than blanching. Can't wait to play with it some more.

- Eric
Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Enjoy and if you come up with some new ideas, we would love to see them. Tis the season for zucchini!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
I just put a little olive oil in a pan and fry up with garlic and pepper.
That's such a great side dish.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Found these on Maria's blog.
Thai Peanut Noodles Maria
Noodles
4 cups zucchini, cut into noodle-like strips
Peanut Sauce
4 TBS natural peanut butter
4 TBS hot water
2 TBS aged wheat free tamari sauce (fermented soy sauce)
1 1/2 TBS Swerve
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Peanuts for garnish
In a small bowl combine peanut butter and water; mix until a smooth paste forms. Stir in soy sauce, then Swerve, cayenne and lemon juice. Mix by hand until well combined and smooth. Mix with the zucchini and enjoy!
Ramen Maria
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
4 cups zucchini "noodles"
2 tsp. organic Tamari sauce (soy sauce)
1/2 tsp. chili oil (or sesame oil)
1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 green onions, sliced
Peel and "swirl" the zucchini. In a medium saucepan combine broth, zucchini noodles, tamari sauce and ginger. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in chili or sesame oil. Slowly pour in the egg and stir for 30 seconds until the egg has cooked. Garnish with green onions. Makes 4 servings.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post

from The Clothes That Make the Girl

Ingredients:
2 small zucchini, julienned (about 2 cups) [Julienne peeler is essential.]
generous 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon almond flour or almond meal
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 eggs, scrambled
a handful of fresh parsley, minced for garnish (optional)
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Place the julienned zucchini in a colander or wire strainer and toss with the salt until coated. Allow to sit for 20 minutes to drain excess water, then rinse and pat dry with paper towels. (You may be tempted to skip this step; I strongly advise against it. This step insures tender, rather than watery, noodles.)

2. While the zucchini is sweating in the colander, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix the almond flour with the coconut oil, sprinkle it with a smidgen of salt, then sauté in the pan, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until it’s toasty brown, about 1 minute. Remove from pan and save for garnish.

3. Return the pan to the heat and add the zucchini noodles. Sauté until just tender, about 1-2 minutes. Push the noodles to the side of the pan, and reduce heat to medium-low. Wait a minute; it’s essential that the pan cools down before adding the eggs. Add the olive oil and garlic. When the garlic is fragrant, about 20 seconds, pour in the eggs and allow them to cook until just beginning to set a tiny bit. Mix the zucchini noodles into the egg and continue to stir gently and continuously until the egg is set and clinging to the noodles. Taste, then add salt and pepper to your liking.

4. Serve noodles in a deep bowl and sprinkle with the almond flour crumbs and minced parsley. Slurping and ridiculously big bites heartily encouraged.
I have made this recipe a bunch and it is hearty and warm and delicious. The almond crumbs really make the dish.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
[QUOTE=Jakelilydad;15889026]I just got one of those slicers that makes zucchini noodles. Playing around with it my first time I made noodles 3 ft long! Cool.

Eric........

What brand did you buy?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

[quote=Pam;15892711]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
I just got one of those slicers that makes zucchini noodles. Playing around with it my first time I made noodles 3 ft long! Cool.

Eric........

What brand did you buy?
Pam,

I bought a PADERNO Turning Slicer from that online bookstore that sells everything else, too. I was originally linked to a Joyce Chen or something similar sounding, but that only had mediocre reviews and this one had better for not much more money. It comes with 3 blades, one makes angel hair like strands, one fettuccine like, and one straight blade to make veggie curls (not sure I'll ever use that). I really like the angel hair one - makes great, fork-twirlable, "noodles".
Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I like to throw them in to a hot pan with some butter, salt and pepper, for a super quick cook, and then I toss them with a serving of dreamfields spaghetti. It makes me feel like I'm getting twice the pasta! It's just a filler, but ... it works!

It's also fun to just toss a little salt on them and let them wilt, like little raw noodles. You can add some tomatoes, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, some pine nuts and parmesan and it's like a "raw" pasta dish. It's cool and refreshing, while definitely being kind of pasta-like. A grilled chicken breast on that would be a great summer dish!

DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote