Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Made Ginny's "Garlic Cauli Rice with Mushroom Stuffing" on p. 202. It was soooo yummy that said stuffing never actually was used to stuff anything, LOL. Will be getting mushrooms today to make it again.

Recommend not adding the salt until the very end as my first batch was more seasoned than I'd normally like. And I increased the ratio of plain cauliflower rice to the rest of the recipe 2x. (Used as a stuffing it's perfect as written, but used as straight-up side-dish, it's pretty mushroomy, and I love mushrooms.)

This freezes beautifully, and it has been awesome to have a little container of yumminess to toss in chef mike as a side dish for me when hubs wants actual rice or potatoes as his side.

Side dishes have been the toughest thing for me on this WOE. Thrilled to have this as an option! Recommend to anyone who likes mushrooms.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I subscribe to your RSS feed Jen and can either see the pics (and often the recipe itself) right in the email, or some listed items say to click to go to the Facebook post. Then when I click that I see the Facebook post and often yet another link to see the recipe and pic. I can print off the pics as desired. So I like actually subscribing to the RSS feed best, which you recommended previously to nonFB-members.

However, when I click the link in your siggie, I go to a Facebook sign-on screen and can't get in since I'm not a Facebook member.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Peggy, that clarifies things even further. You're such a smart cookie! Thank you!

Brenda, hope you'll come and share what you make out of the cookbook. Thanks for your continued support.

Kalatraza, you explained Ginny's recipe so nicely. Thank you for that great feedback! Sounds so good to me. I like mushrooms too.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Has anyone tried the raspberry Delight on page 220? I think I'll try that soon.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie, no I have not tried it, but I used to make something similar with strawberries - think it is in Splendid Low-Carbing. Anyway, it was a long time ago, but it was very good, if I recall. Also, Ginny says it gets rave reviews at potlucks and was popular on the Bernstein forum - although Ginny's is an adaptation of someone's recipe.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thanks, Jen, I'll let you know when I try it.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
well we finally have some cold air in TX, SOOOO!! I decided to turn on the oven & try some recipes. I tried the Cinnamon Crumbtop Coffee Cake on P. 214 Delicious!! & The Eggnoodles right across the pg on 215 which I served under Smothered Pork Chops. Really Terrific!!
Both these recipes are in Vol 2. Then I heard that Starbucks is having trouble supplying their store with Pumpkin Spice Latte & as I was looking in Vol 1, low & behold there was a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Latte on p. 160. Wow!! It is wonderful.

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Pat, thank you! What exciting feedback! Love it and I really want to try those egg noodles now. Ginny's book has been so well received. I'm thrilled! She is a wonderful friend to me as well.

By the way, Carolyn Ketchum of All Day I Dream About Food will be back in volume 3.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/189/135 (11-Jun)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
This has given me a real inspiration - 1, to get both coiled books, then occasionally sit down and go through these threads again with some post-it notes to add comments from what people have shared here. There is something comfy about a hard-copy book, and to be able to leverage other people's comments, adding a post-it note if I haven't tried the recipe. This threads seems like a reading circle. I look forward to getting the book and sharing with my daughter so that as she learns to cook, she learns to cook LC, even from her very young age.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jen - I just tried to see the pics by clicking on your facebook link and couldn't see anything; however, going to your blog and clicking on the facebook does bring up the photos. Thanks Jen and Linda Sue.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aaaw, Sbarr, that's wonderful to hear. Great that you have in mind to teach your daughter to cook low-carb from an early age. We welcome you on these threads!

Super, that's great, Tweaker!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/189/135 (11-Jun)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Thank you - I really want to have that June Cleaver kitchen experience with her, modified for LC and tasting just as good or better so we can both enjoy and with a real cookbook where she can point and say - let's make this!

Just something about running back and forth to the computer, printing something off, writing ingredients on the back of a bank statement envelope just don't give me warm fuzzies whereas a cookbook with pictures and to be able to follow some comments and suggestions - that would great. I have other LC cookbooks, but the thought of pictures and coil bound...

I'll know I am successful when she's at a friend's house making cookies and asking where the almond flour is.

Are any posts or threads about stocking a kitchen and things to have on hand for some of these baking recipes?
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sbarr, the pics for the recipes are being indexed on our Facebook and all our Facebook posts are indexed on my blog. There are no photos in the cookbooks themselves in case you are wondering. It would have cost waay too much. You cannot believe how much shipping of the books from the printer to Amazon alone costs.

I do have a comprehensive list of items to stock your pantry with on our cookbook website, but I cannot post that link here.

The coil bound books are so lovely. I cannot believe how much I am enjoying them.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Are any posts or threads about stocking a kitchen and things to have on hand for some of these baking recipes?
There has been and I just tried to do a search, but could not come up with it. Sorry. But I know people will post and maybe will find the thread for you.

Almond Flour, sweeteners, eggs, coconut oil,

Not sure what you are planning to make. I bought as I needed. I have a LOT of items I know I won't use again, . I would be careful and not go overboard. Start with the basics. As for sweeteners, I have Stevia (liquid and powdered), erythritol, and Xylitol (but use that one very seldom).
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tofulover
Stats: 220/177/165 (at 6')
WOE: Vegetarian/Atkins
Start Date: March 2012
I got the best Birthday present ever today.

The day started off rather mediocre, because I'm still recovering from the flu and was quite beat at my first day back at work.

But then I came home, and what was waiting for me: Two pretty pretty coil-bound cookbooks! I ordered them 3 weeks ago and did not know when to expect them due to the long long journey. This is perfect!!! So, so happy!
Tofulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tofulover, I'm so happy to hear that your books arrived safely. Good choice on the coil bound books. They are very, very cool. These are BIG cookbooks and the one coming at the end of the year will be the same and the one next year (towards the end of 2013) will be 100 pages more!

Get better soon and come join us! The internet makes it a smaller world.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you! And yes, I love that about the Internet. This forum is a very very friendly place. I've been to others where mutual respect wasn't always present, but this place feels like home. It's great to be among so many like-minded people.

And now I'm sorry for going OT. I'll try out and review a recipe ASAP.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #168
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Tofulover, I'm so happy to hear that your books arrived safely. Good choice on the coil bound books. They are very, very cool. These are BIG cookbooks and the one coming at the end of the year will be the same and the one next year (towards the end of 2013) will be 100 pages more!

Yum, 2 more cookbooks coming! And they must offer them in coil bound, those are soooo nice!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Definitely, Buffy! I would like to see Amazon carry the coil bound and us to switch over completely to only coil bound. Only reason both are offered is it pushes us into a price range that is not so great for some people. Coil bound is a bit pricier. Not sure how that will all play out...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tofulover - again a warm to you! We look forward to your visits! Hope you are feeling 100% soon.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
Well, I have both of the Low Carbing Among Friends books now, and I think I've managed to read through both and have made a list of all the recipes I want to try "first". LOL How I'll ever manage to do about 1,000 recipes "first" is something I haven't figured out yet! But I've got a little list, as the song goes, and I'm looking forward to trying these recipes.

And Jennifer, I have the 5 book set of your Splendid cookbooks in my cart at amazon, just waiting til Friday so I can order them on payday. <g> Can't wait! I'm going to be so rich with great recipes, I won't ever be able to to leave the flippin' kitchen. Oh well, that's fine by me -- just having the strength to actually stand out there and cook is a joy, after being sick for so long, so even with the dizzy spells and so on, this whole medicine-giving-my-life-back thing has worked out well. It had gotten to where there was just no joy in cooking, no excitement in trying new things, I was so worn out and in pain that I could barely scrabble something together to feed us, and often we ate like crap because of it.Now, I may have dizziness and some weakness, but I feel pretty darn good, and I really have a lot of fun in the kitchen again, and all these yummy recipes from all you wonderful LC cooks make a huge difference in our mealtimes. The guys are thrilled to bits with what we eat now, and so am I. Thanks, all!

Last edited by lene; 10-10-2012 at 02:15 PM..
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Lene, it sounds like you've been through a rough period, but you're getting better, I can tell.

Hey, so happy you are happy! This is what gives me wonderful joy and satisfaction - seeing and hearing about others having fun with my/our recipes! I can tell your enthusiasm for cooking and baking is coming back quite quickly. Your family is going to be very blessed! I know when I am in the mood for cooking, I do a much better job. When I'm not in the mood - I'm better off staying out of the kitchen! You are no alone in that!

Have fun in the kitchen and please share some feedback when you get the time. It's helpful and makes it more fun for everyone and often encourages people to try recipes they read about here. Thank you for your support, Lene. Feel better and stronger soon.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Louloo
Stats: 181/167.1/130
Just made the Cinnamon Crumb Top Coffee Cake (Ginny Larsen) page 214. Very very very good. It's a keeper.
Louloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
HOW ODD IS THIS?

I have the cookbook open to page 214 Ginny Larsen's
Cinnamon Crumb Cake. Hmmmm not a crumb of coffee cake
in our home for a long time.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #175
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Ok, time to sit down and look through the cookbooks and find a treat to make for this week. I do like to have a small piece of something sweet after meals, have had pumpkin bake lately and of course the fat bombs but ready to try something else.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I made Jennifer's Tortillas, but mine cracked when folded; even though there was still a quarter-size wet spot in the middle. I just used the halves as a side bread...very tastey.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Mint Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies (p 217)

I love the sound of these, so I want to try them. Just a quick question: How much chocolate is "5 squares" (how many oz/g)? It comes in different serving sizes here, so I'm unsure...
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Ladeeda, they are a little tricky at first. Glad you were still able to eat it as "bread". Maybe I can help. Remember not to leave out the xanthan gum. They will crack without it. You need to roll them out between 2 pieces of parchment paper. I don't have any trouble with this recipe, but if one cooks it too long, it will get more brittle and crack. It might take one or two tries to roll it out thin but not too thin - if it is too thick, then that will make it easy to crack as well. They are probably about 6-1/2 or 7 inches or so in diameter. I have had good feedback on this recipe, so I know it works. Gina, for one, on this board has made them. Maybe she has some pointers for you. Hope she sees this.

Tofulover - Lindt chocolate broken into small pieces. You would be safe using a cup of chopped pieces.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofulover View Post
Mint Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies (p 217)

I love the sound of these, so I want to try them. Just a quick question: How much chocolate is "5 squares" (how many oz/g)? It comes in different serving sizes here, so I'm unsure...
I square equals 1 ounce.
You should also be able to substitute 1 tablespoon fat (butter, coconut oil, etc) + 3 tablespoons baking cocoa for each square of chocolate.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not in the case of Lindt chocolate - the squares are skinny. Unsweetened baking chocolate comes in squares that are 1 oz (30 g). Set me straight here if I am wrong.