Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Barbo, that's the first one I'm going to try.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
VOLUME 2 LCAF

Glazed Lemon Loaf page 97

Hints from Jen:
Double the glaze, which I did and glad of it.

DH wanted cream cheese frosting with it too.
We thought it was delicious. Don't overbake
as it will dry out. Makes a nice full and tall loaf
in the 8x4 baking pan. Will be making this recipe
over and over. Nice crumb, looks like pound cake.
Barbo - Doesn't that come out tall!? I was surprised how great it rose. I put the glaze on it but I've had a couple slices with cream cheese. It is lovely as is with a cup of hot tea. Last night I had a slice with my homemade nutella spread. I was craving chocolate and that took care of it.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Yes Tweaker

The loaf rose high and it tasted very good. Double glaze is good.
To re-heat I also nuked and then spread with cream cheese
frosting. Next time I am going to use some True Lemon and a
bit more lemon peel. The only thing wrong was not with the
cake, but with us. We both wanted a bigger,thicker piece
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Vol 1 and Vol 2 came today...doin the happy dance...I'm 60 so it goes a little slow. Made Jennifer's Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies from this site. Added some orange extract and used the dried cranberries that Vanessa showed us. Forgot the baking powder and didn't press them down BUT they are yummy yummy AND they did not spike my blood glucose. ;-)
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YEAH

Ladee...da..good report.
thanks,
Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YEAH

Ladee...da..good report.
thanks,
Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Barbo and Tweaker, so happy you liked the Glazed Lemon Loaf. Good idea to double up on the glaze. I should have mentioned that in the book as an option. Made a note to put that in the 2nd edition of vol. 2. Hope you like it, Julie.

Dampmop - sounds like you're going to have lots of fun in the kitchen!

Haha! MissLatte - that's a funny story!

Daytona - those are my son's favorite cookies and he likes them straight out of the freezer. Glad you liked them. I think I had portion control problems with them in the beginning but now that I've made them many times - I'm better at having just a couple a day.

Ladeeda - doing the slow happy dance with you. I'm considered a jubilada at 55 (retired person who has some lovely discount benefits on all sorts of things including restaurant meals) where I live. How did that happen?! Where do the years go? My DH only becomes a jubilado at 60, so he jokes to everyone that I'm the "older" person and that he is so young. Yeah, right - he is almost a year older than I am!!

I was just looking at a photo of the Cranberry Chocolate Chip cookies today and thinking about them - trying to remember them actually.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Made Dottie's Taco Pie for One tonight. It was so good. Here is what I did with it, I multiplied the seasonings by 4 and put those in a small baggie. I cooked the ground beef x 4 and added 1/2 the seasonings like it says. Then I divided it up into 4 freezer bags, froze the seasoned beef, and then put the leftover seasoning (says to only use 1/2 in cooking the beef) in a little baggie as well and all into the freezer in a gallon freezer bag.

So thawed one of the packages tonight and made the rest of the recipe as written. Oh YUM! Then put some green Trader Joes green salsa on it (one bowl cooking, yeah!) and a bit of sour cream. So good. I highly recommend it. page 292

Last edited by Tilly; 09-15-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #99
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Oh man, I can't wait for mine to arrive. That taco recipe sounds so good and I have a lb of ground beef I need to cook up. Guess I could cook and freeze in 4 oz packages and then provide when my cookbooks arrive!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I feel kinda silly asking this question, as you would think I would know the answer to this,
I want to order both of these books, but I noticed a lot of the recipes call for oat flour, does that make the recipe not low carb anymore? Thanks for your help, it's been one of those days!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy, if you do a search for Dottie's recipe here you may find it. Tilly, thanks for the heads up on Dottie's recipe.

That Girl - very good question! There is only one recipe that uses oat flour on it's own diluted with eggs and low-carb milk and whey protein, etc. - and that is my crepe recipe and the crepes are 3 grams carbs each. I don't like ground almonds in crepes.

In addition my section which has only 35 recipes (the other 35 are from my son, Jonathan), a few of which are desserts and baking and some of those recipes utilize my Gluten-Free Bake Mix. It contains some oat flour but it is greatly diluted with mostly ground almonds and some coconut flour, so, yes baking with it will yield low-carb results. It's used in place of white flour for baking and you can actually recreate old favorite recipes using the bake mix and the simple instructions included to help you. So very, very few recipes contain oat flour (in the bake mix) - only a small fraction of my contribution to the cookbooks, which is not just desserts and baking.

I realize not everyone will be a fan of my bake mix as they prefer to stay away from any grains at all. Oat flour is a very healthy option in my opinion (reduces cholesterol) when it comes to grains and even the Wheat Belly Doctor gave it the green light in small quantities. It is also gluten-free and one can buy certified gluten-free oat flour from Bob's Red Mill. The reason I included it in my bake mix is that I really like my baking to closely mimic what I was used to prior to going low-carb. That said, I know the other authors have managed to accomplish that without using any bake mix or any flour at all. So really the authors all have completely different cooking and baking styles; something for everyone! That's the idea. This is low-carbing among friends.

The rest of the cookbook and almost all 350 plus recipes are completely grain free! Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch for your interest and the good question. It gave me an opportunity to clear things up a bit.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownie - recipe on page 318 - YUMMY!

IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2reinpg.jpg[/IMG]

Brownie with Raspberry Ice Cream:

Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #103
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Chocolate Cheesecake Brownie - recipe on page 318 - YUMMY!

IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2reinpg.jpg[/IMG]

Brownie with Raspberry Ice Cream:

Oh, my cookbooks, please please hurry!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

I guess I am not very good at searching on the forum but I didn't find the taco pie recipe recipe, will have to wait. I do need to cook up that hamburger though, do you think if I just brown it and freeze it until my cookbooks come, and then add the seasoning, will that work.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very yummy pics, Tweaker! Wow, good job! Thank you for sharing.

Here you go, Buffy - Dottie's recipe (by the way I also could not find it with a search.)

DOTTIE’S TACO PIE FOR ONE
Dottie is an administrator on a famous, low-carb support forum, where I am a member: lowcarbfriends.com. Dottie follows a Primal Paleo diet. For many more of her wonderful recipes, visit the forum. This easy, quick and tasty recipe is sure to take care of Mexican food cravings.

1 tsp chili powder (5 mL)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (2 mL)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
1/4 tsp black pepper (1 mL)
3 oz lean ground beef (90 g)
2 stalks fresh green onions, sliced
(use white and green parts)
1 egg
2 tbsp water (30 mL)
2 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill® coconut flour, (30 mL)
(Netrition.com)
1/8 tsp baking powder (0.5 mL)
2 tbsp shredded 2% Kraft® Mexican Blend cheese (30 mL)
(optional)

In small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

In saucepan, crumble ground beef and add green onions and half the spices above. Cook beef and add a little water if needed, but you don’t want it wet when it’s finished cooking.

In medium microwave-safe dish, beat egg, add water and beat again. Add coconut flour, the remaining half of the spices and baking powder. Mix well. Stir in meat mixture and cheese, if using. Microwave 1 minute 30 seconds, or until it is cooked through. If desired, top with fresh guacamole and salsa.

Helpful Hint: Additionally, if desired, add diced tomato or diced, fresh jalapeno peppers to the meat while it is cooking.

Yield: 1 serving Taco Pie
1 serving
281.0 calories
25.8 g protein
12.5 g fat
4.8 g carbs
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Thank you Jennifer, makes a lot of sense now!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you so much Jennifer, I really wanted to make this and I have the cookbooks on the way. You are the best
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rainbowsmiles
new here and need some help

Hi Jennifer
I am new here, and this is my first post. I have been doing some random reading, and see people quoting page numbers for recipes, but where are the recipe??? So sorry, I was trying to find the almond fudge flour cake recipe
Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated..
kind regards
rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Buffy, if you do a search for Dottie's recipe here you may find it. Tilly, thanks for the heads up on Dottie's recipe.

That Girl - very good question! There is only one recipe that uses oat flour on it's own diluted with eggs and low-carb milk and whey protein, etc. - and that is my crepe recipe and the crepes are 3 grams carbs each. I don't like ground almonds in crepes.

In addition my section which has only 35 recipes (the other 35 are from my son, Jonathan), a few of which are desserts and baking and some of those recipes utilize my Gluten-Free Bake Mix. It contains some oat flour but it is greatly diluted with mostly ground almonds and some coconut flour, so, yes baking with it will yield low-carb results. It's used in place of white flour for baking and you can actually recreate old favorite recipes using the bake mix and the simple instructions included to help you. So very, very few recipes contain oat flour (in the bake mix) - only a small fraction of my contribution to the cookbooks, which is not just desserts and baking.

I realize not everyone will be a fan of my bake mix as they prefer to stay away from any grains at all. Oat flour is a very healthy option in my opinion (reduces cholesterol) when it comes to grains and even the Wheat Belly Doctor gave it the green light in small quantities. It is also gluten-free and one can buy certified gluten-free oat flour from Bob's Red Mill. The reason I included it in my bake mix is that I really like my baking to closely mimic what I was used to prior to going low-carb. That said, I know the other authors have managed to accomplish that without using any bake mix or any flour at all. So really the authors all have completely different cooking and baking styles; something for everyone! That's the idea. This is low-carbing among friends.

The rest of the cookbook and almost all 350 plus recipes are completely grain free! Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch for your interest and the good question. It gave me an opportunity to clear things up a bit.
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A big rainbowsmiles (love that moniker!). I just happen to have that recipe on my desktop. Believe it or not I have yet to make it but a lot of people here have made it. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-cake-pic.html
And I believe there are pictures with that.

Other recipes are being found in the new cookbook just out, Low Carbing Among Friends. And this thread is for Volume 2. Yes, there is a thread and a realated cookbook for Volume 1. And to make your head spin even more, , there is another due out soon.

I own both and have not even begun to touch 1/2 of the recipes in either book. I highly recommend purchasing them. Not only do they hold unbelievable low carb recipes from numerous contributors/fantastic chefs, they have a wealth of low carbing information in them with refereneces.

Again, good luck and welcome, you are in great company here!!!!!! (friendly, helpful, font of information, and whenever you have a question someone here (usually many) will answer you)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rainbow - As Tilly said, there are a lot of great people, food, facts and information on this board. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #111
Big Yapper!!!!

Does anyone remember how long it takes to get your cookbooks? I am anxiously awaiting although I know I will spend too much time reading through them
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Tilly and Tweaker. How long ago did you order, Buffy?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

Looks like I ordered them on the 13th. I did get an email that a media package had been shipped to me on the 18th, I am wondering if that is it. I do so much online shopping that I have to go back to look to see what I have ordered, yikes! It was from a MARYELLEN O'ROURKE and the email was from CRS printshop. Does that sound right? I had them spiral bound.

If that is it, bet it will be here in the next 3-7 days or so. Can't wait!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Mine email was from the same person buffy, so that is your book!!
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #115
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Brenda!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Vol 2, page 203. Ginny Larsen's "Creamy Corn and Cauli Casserole". Wonderful corny taste. You can't tell the cauli rice (I used 3 cups) is in it. Used an 11"x7" dish. Next time I will omit the bacon and Parmesan to make it less savory and more like our family's Baked Corn. Ginny, this dish is genius and delicious...reheats in microwave perfectly. Thank you. Dee
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Still anxiously running to mailbox each day.....
Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Still anxiously running to mailbox each day.....
Wish I lived closer I would share, that would be fun!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #119
Big Yapper!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well Dang Buffy!

My goodness I pray that it arrives by Monday.

Will worry about you