Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #61
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Jen, my book came!!! I'm so excited to see everyone's hard work in print!!!! Yay you!!!

Thanks so much for including me in the "friends"!!! I can't wait to read it cover to cover and start making recipes!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Question, I am planning on making the Almond Joy Coconut Cream Pie page 224 by Ginny Larsen this weekend. It calls for Thai Kitchen coconut milk, 1 cup, just the cream portion on top. So how many cans will I need to purchase to get one cup of the cream? Never bought it before so not sure how much cream is in each can.
Tilly, that is an almost impossible question to answer, as different cans have different amounts of "cream" on top. (Some brands actually do not get in to come to the top!) But,,,, It is my understanding that the Thai Kitchen brand is very good, and usually pretty consistent. If you buy that brand you will probably (notice I said probably) only need 1 can. But I (nor do I think anyone else) can't guarantee it. I can't remember if I have ever even found/used Thai Kitchen. Maybe, just can't remember. I've had other brands & some cans had a lot of "cream" & little watery liquid, some was all liquidy (thick liquid, but not "cream"). Just looked it up, and marked it. Maybe someday I'll actually even try making it! I do wish I liked to cook!! (I don't. sigh)

I don't think I had run across that recipe yet. (I'm probably the only one who has had the book for a while, and haven't gotten thru it yet!) The name sure sounds good!!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
So, I've now tried the Glazed Lemon Loaf and the Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Muffins - the Lemon Loaf is lovely, I nuke a slice for 10 seconds in micro, it really brings out the lemon. The muffins are great, I could use a little more sweetener but this batch won't go to waste!

Today I made the Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies (page 318) - they look great, the batter tasted wonderful and I have no doubt that the brownies will too! I haven't cut them yet, they're in the fridge and will probably not be tested till tomorrow. I also made Maria Emmerich's Chicken Sate with Peanut Sauce (page 124) - it is delish! This is one I will make again and again! Thanks, Maria!

Not from Vol. 2, but I made Linda Sue's Mushroom and Cheddar Quiche. I added green onions, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, black pepper and just a pinch of cayenne.

Busy day in the kitchen, I don't have to cook again all week, just make salad or cook some veggies. I have some roast chicken left from another day, so with that for quesadillas, chicken salad, the Chicken Sate, the Quiche, I'm all set! Love having plenty of choices to fix fast!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wow, you're organized Tweaker! Love it! Thanks for the reviews.

Yay, Susie! You're welcome. You are incredibly talented in more than one way.

Tilly - I must admit I also wonder about your question. I think you can freeze the leftover coconut milk.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lemon Loaf Pic

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I just made Gina's Magic Bars..forgot the page number. Let me tell you...it is soooo easy.

I will serve them tomorrow at our Bible Study for our diabetic peeps.. I might have to snitch a bite when I'm putting them on the tray..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Tilly, that is an almost impossible question to answer, as different cans have different amounts of "cream" on top. (Some brands actually do not get in to come to the top!) But,,,, It is my understanding that the Thai Kitchen brand is very good, and usually pretty consistent. If you buy that brand you will probably (notice I said probably) only need 1 can. But I (nor do I think anyone else) can't guarantee it. I can't remember if I have ever even found/used Thai Kitchen. Maybe, just can't remember. I've had other brands & some cans had a lot of "cream" & little watery liquid, some was all liquidy (thick liquid, but not "cream"). Just looked it up, and marked it. Maybe someday I'll actually even try making it! I do wish I liked to cook!! (I don't. sigh)

I don't think I had run across that recipe yet. (I'm probably the only one who has had the book for a while, and haven't gotten thru it yet!) The name sure sounds good!!!
To make sure I had enough, I bought 2 cans of the Thai Kitchen from Wal Mart. And like you said, only needed one, thank you. Made this yesterday. Oh my gosh, if it was not LC, I probably would have blown up by 10 pounds! It is sooo good! Put it in my frig in my basement so I cannot scrape it with a fork now and then, you know, to get the sides even. Going to cut a piece no more than once a day and then and put it right back down there.

And just wondering why you said "I do wish I liked to cook", thought you did all the time.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
So, I've now tried the Glazed Lemon Loaf and the Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Muffins - the Lemon Loaf is lovely, I nuke a slice for 10 seconds in micro, it really brings out the lemon. The muffins are great, I could use a little more sweetener but this batch won't go to waste!

Today I made the Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies (page 318) - they look great, the batter tasted wonderful and I have no doubt that the brownies will too! I haven't cut them yet, they're in the fridge and will probably not be tested till tomorrow. I also made Maria Emmerich's Chicken Sate with Peanut Sauce (page 124) - it is delish! This is one I will make again and again! Thanks, Maria!

Not from Vol. 2, but I made Linda Sue's Mushroom and Cheddar Quiche. I added green onions, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, black pepper and just a pinch of cayenne.

Busy day in the kitchen, I don't have to cook again all week, just make salad or cook some veggies. I have some roast chicken left from another day, so with that for quesadillas, chicken salad, the Chicken Sate, the Quiche, I'm all set! Love having plenty of choices to fix fast!
Did the same cooked ahead, also a roasting chicken, and is all in my freezer in individual baggies and then in freezer bags. Now all I have to do is pull something out in single servings and dinner (plus a vege) is ready, yeah!!!!!!

Last edited by Tilly; 09-03-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ginlarsen
WOE: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution
Start Date: 2006
Quote:
I've made that several times, and really enjoy it!! (or I won't have made it so often! )
I do have to admit tho, that I tweaked the bread to make it even more low carb, & higher if fiber. No offense Ginny, I rarely ever make things anymore without trying tweaks. Something I almost never did pre-low carb! But now I do it with MOST recipes. I did try it by the recipe the fist time. It is great! Thank You Ginny.
Oh I tweak people's recipes constantly, ha ha! Even my own! I'm glad you enjoyed it and were able to make it even lower carb.
Ginlarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ginlarsen
WOE: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution
Start Date: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Last night I made Beef and Hominy Con Queso by Ginny Larsen on page 190.

Absolutely delicious, a big two-thumbs up. The only things I did different was to use medium pork sausage instead of turkey sausage and instead of Fiesta Blend cheese for the topping I used some Habanero/Jalapeno Colby Jack that I had on hand and I added some salt.

My husband was a bit skeptical when he observed the ingredients but he went back for seconds and took a sizeable portion for his lunch today.
We love that one too! I'm glad your skeptical hubby liked it. So fun to see everyone trying out the recipes and liking them!

Tilly that Almond Joy Pie is my absolute favorite pie! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Ginlarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarsen View Post
We love that one too! I'm glad your skeptical hubby liked it. So fun to see everyone trying out the recipes and liking them!

Tilly that Almond Joy Pie is my absolute favorite pie! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
That pie is worthy of company!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
To make sure I had enough, I bought 2 cans of the Thai Kitchen from Wal Mart. And like you said, only needed one, thank you. Made this yesterday. Oh my gosh, if it was not LC, I probably would have blown up by 10 pounds! It is sooo good! Put it in my frig in my basement so I cannot scrape it with a fork now and then, you know, to get the sides even. Going to cut a piece no more than once a day and then and put it right back down there.

And just wondering why you said "I do wish I liked to cook", thought you did all the time.
That sounds so good. I just may have to try it!!! IF you decide you want to do something else with the other can (which will actually keep quite a while of course, as long as it is unopened), there is a really good chocolate Mousse recipe on here somewhere. It is called Chocolate Frosting Shots (and could like the name implies, be used for frosting), but I call it mousse! It is really good.
I DO cook quite a bit, but I don't like too!!!! That's why I said, I wish I did!! I don't like to cook, but I DO like to eat!!! (as does my husband. )

A tip for getting the "cream" off the top. (sorry should have posted it earlier) Set the can in the fridge overnight, or far a few hours. The "cream" will come to the top, and being cold will be easier to get out.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 09-03-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That sounds so good. I just may have to try it!!! IF you decide you want to do something else with the other can (which will actually keep quite a while of course, as long as it is unopened), there is a really good chocolate Mousse recipe on here somewhere. It is called Chocolate Frosting Shots (and could like the name implies, be used for frosting), but I call it mousse! It is really good.
I DO cook quite a bit, but I don't like too!!!! That's why I said, I wish I did!! I don't like to cook, but I DO like to eat!!! (as does my husband. )

A tip for getting the "cream" off the top. (sorry should have posted it earlier) Set the can in the fridge overnight, or far a few hours. The "cream" will come to the top, and being cold will be easier to get out.
Thank you for the recommendation for Chocolate Frosting Shots. I will have to do a seach for that.
Ahhh, semantics, NOW I get it, yes if we want to eat then we have to cook, ha ha!
And thank you for the tip on getting the cream out of the coconut milk. I am saving the "water" at the bottom for something that uses a bit of coconut milk.
Just found it doing a search and then found the original. Thanks!!!! Guess I WILL keep that can, I was going to return it.

One more question, when a recipe calls for coconut milk, does that mean this can but shake it up? Or will it specify cream only?

Last edited by Tilly; 09-04-2012 at 02:47 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Usually means shake the can. There is also carton coconut milk, which is entirely different.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My review of the Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies --- Winner!! They are soooo good, I cut them into 16 servings as the the recipe indicated and ate one but I really think I'd be satisfied with 1/2 of one. I haven't cut the rest in half mind you, but I'll think about it before I freeze some of them.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen - I'm eating a slice of the Lemon Loaf with my coffee as we speak!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #77
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Gina's Magic Bars were a big hit at my ladies' Bible study meeting today. They want the recipe.. Some are diabetic or have diabetic dhs.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You mean, Ginny, Carolyn? That's is so nice that the dessert was so well received. Ginny knows how to cater to people with diabetes.

Tilly, if a recipe calls for coconut milk, shake it up. Hmm, not family with the carton of coconut milk, Soobee.

ROFL Billie!! Yep, you have to cook to eat well. To your credit, you do.

Tweaker, I wondered about that recipe for the brownies - sounds awesome! Glad you're still enjoying the Lemon Loaf.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I got mine yesterday!! I read it for about 10 minutes and had to go to bed, I will be looking it over more this weekend..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Finished reading it tonight. Actually read it cover to cover. Such a lot of great information in it! Still eating the Almond Joy Coconut Cream Pie, made Jen's Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies page 99. So good, I had to tuck those away for now.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh boy, you had fun, Tilly! I was happy to get your feedback on vol. 2. The resource about low-carbing mini book by Jimmy Moore with all the included links is very indepth.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarsen View Post
Oh I tweak people's recipes constantly, ha ha! Even my own! I'm glad you enjoyed it and were able to make it even lower carb.
Ginny, I had missed your reply earlier. Yes, I do enjoy it. I had it for several mornings in a row.

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation for Chocolate Frosting Shots. I will have to do a seach for that.
Ahhh, semantics, NOW I get it, yes if we want to eat then we have to cook, ha ha!
And thank you for the tip on getting the cream out of the coconut milk. I am saving the "water" at the bottom for something that uses a bit of coconut milk.
Just found it doing a search and then found the original. Thanks!!!! Guess I WILL keep that can, I was going to return it.

One more question, when a recipe calls for coconut milk, does that mean this can but shake it up? Or will it specify cream only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Usually means shake the can. There is also carton coconut milk, which is entirely different.
Yep, I gotta cook to eat, and especially to eat well (as Jen said).
You're welcome on the tip. That "Frosting Shots" or Chocolate Mousse is good, but won't work if you get hold of some of the thinner coconut milk in the cans or with the boxed coconut milk.
Like Soobee said, yet it does usually mean that, but some recipes are now using the boxed coconut milk like the SoDelicious. I think even Silk now has a coconut milk. Jen these are somewhat new here in the US. Been out for a little while, but guess they haven't hit over there at least yet. It is MUCH thinner than the canned coconut milk (even the thin stuff in cans). More like almond milk. Recipes need to state now which type of coconut milk if it makes a difference. And it does for some recipes, such as the frosting shots. I find recipes calling for coconut milk, and now find myself wondering which type.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
And it does for some recipes, such as the frosting shots. I find recipes calling for coconut milk, and now find myself wondering which type.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Typically in low-carb recipes, the coconut milk will the full-fat kind in the cans.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dampmop
I tried Ginny Larsen's Cinnamon Crumb Top Coffee Cake (p.214) with different sweeteners (didn't have xylitol). We love it! Need to buy oat flour so I can make some of Jen's recipes. I must have a hundred recipes marked in each book (bought both books at the same time).
dampmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misslatte
Stats: 5'11" - 260/~175
I got my copy!!!! One of my friends at work got it for me as an early birthday present, she couldn't wait any longer so she gave it to me yesterday!!! YAY!!!

Oh, and, HAH!! Now BF knows how I feel when he gets a new toy. He got a new fancy schmancy phone a little while ago and he spent HOURS fiddling with it and I realized that yeah, at that time I was the last thing on his mind. NOW... I have the new LCAF so HE can see what it's like!! (and I hope he's hungry...)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslatte View Post
I got my copy!!!! One of my friends at work got it for me as an early birthday present, she couldn't wait any longer so she gave it to me yesterday!!! YAY!!!

Oh, and, HAH!! Now BF knows how I feel when he gets a new toy. He got a new fancy schmancy phone a little while ago and he spent HOURS fiddling with it and I realized that yeah, at that time I was the last thing on his mind. NOW... I have the new LCAF so HE can see what it's like!! (and I hope he's hungry...)
Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daytona!
WOE: Ketogenic Paleo
I have made the Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies (page 99). They came out really well with stevia and erythritol, even with my so-so baking and instruction following skills.

I had my sister-in-law try them (she's neither low carb nor gluten free) and she liked them so much she asked that I bake them for her son's birthday party tomorrow. Which was surprising because everything else low-carb that I've made has been treated with great suspicion and claims that "fake sugar" is bitter. Win!

I made the chocolate chips myself following a recipe from AllDayIDreamAboutFood (I am not sure if I'm allowed to link). I really like this cookie recipe but unfortunately won't be making them regularly since while 1 cookie is low-carb, I want to eat about 5 in a sitting!
Daytona! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
LOVELY LEMON LOAF

VOLUME 2 LCAF

Glazed Lemon Loaf page 97

Hints from Jen:
Double the glaze, which I did and glad of it.

DH wanted cream cheese frosting with it too.
We thought it was delicious. Don't overbake
as it will dry out. Makes a nice full and tall loaf
in the 8x4 baking pan. Will be making this recipe
over and over. Nice crumb, looks like pound cake.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote