Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Buttoni's Onion Dill Bread & Rye Variation

I've made this Onion Dill Bread from Buttoni's site several times now, and it is very good. It really does taste like the yeasty onion dill bread I used to make in pre-LC days.

Today, we were craving a reuben sandwich for lunch, so I fiddled around with Buttoni's recipe and came up with a very acceptable version of rye bread. It made an awesome reuben! Here are the adjustments I made to the original recipe (I followed same cooking instructions):

Onion Rye Bread

1/4 c. + 1 T. flax meal (I used golden because it's all I had on hand, but dark would make the bread look more "authentic")
1 T. melted butter
2 T. sour cream (or cottage cheese)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. King Arthur's DELI RYE FLAVOR*
1/4 tsp. caraway seeds
2 tsp. oat fiber
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. salt

*this is a specialty ingredient from KA Flour, it comes in a small plastic tub and consists of rye flour, acetic acid, natural flavors and fermented lactic acid. A little goes a long way - 1 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. in a regular 3-cup flour bread recipe. I have this leftover from my bread baking days, and the tub will probably last the rest of my lifetime. It really does smell like rye bread - it's very potent stuff. If you want to sub this product, I think a bit of rye flour with a pinch of citric acid would do the trick as well.

Last edited by KCSoccer; 08-11-2012 at 11:15 AM..
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Sounds GOOD, KC! I'll have to try it sometime. I have a dark Pumpernickel Rye Roll recipe also you might want to tinker with some time, using your rye flavoring:

Pumpernickel Rye Dinner Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

¼ c. + 1 T. DARK flax meal
1 T. melted butter
Click to enlarge
2 T. sour cream
1 egg
½ tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. oat fiber
½ tsp. caraway seed
1 square (14.3 g) 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate (I buy Ghirardelli, but 90% Lindt would be OK)
1 T. stale coffee
½ tsp. coffee crystals

DIRECTIONS: Melt chocolate and butter in microwave. Place in food processor. Dissolve coffee crystals in coffee and add. Add sour cream and beaten egg.and pulse to blend. Add all dry ingredients and pulse a few times to mix. Either dip into 4 greased ramekins or microwave safe muffin cups or if using as sliced bread, dip batter into square plastic container. Cook on HI for 1 minute 10 seconds or until center is dry to the touch. Cool a moment and tip out onto cutting board. Slice laterally if using for a sandwich. Serve hot rolls at once with butter.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:

If using as a sandwich, the whole recipe is a serving and has 690 calories, 63.5 g fat, 20.1 carbs, 13.5 g fiber, 6.6 g net carbs, 20.9 g protein.

If using as dinner rolls, this recipe makes 4 rolls, each contains 172.5 calories, 16 g fat, 5.03 g carbs, 3.38 g fiber, 2.65 g NET CARBS, 5.23 g protein
Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Buttoni, I didn't need to fiddle around with the first recipe! I didn't see the Pumpernickel recipe -- will give it a try the next time I need rye bread. Can you tell that there is chocolate and coffee in the bread, or does it just add a darker color? DH really doesn't like anything with coffee (I drink enough for both of us).

Thanks for the response and your wonderful recipes!
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Well, they actually are there for flavor, giving pumpernickel that earthy, somewhat bitter taste that makes it distinctive from rye bread. Most recipes for pumpernickel will have them listed in the ingredients. But you could leave them out and see if you like the result.

That rye flavoring sounds intriguing. I've never heard of it before. I love a good rye bread. Love love, LOVE that flavor, with the caraway taste.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I want to see if I can handles that King Arthur's Rye flovor . Sounds Yum!!!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote