Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Joseph's lavash cracker question

Due to the many praises on this board about Joseph's lavash bread and its use to make crackers, I have bought several packages. Yes! It makes wonderful crackers and I'm having lots of fun experimenting with adding different flavorings.

Question: has anyone ever crushed up the crackers to use to coat fish, shrimp, chicken, crabcakes, etc. in order to bake or fry? Seems like it would make a coating comparable to panko.

I would love to hear other uses for this great lavash bread, too.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
have you done the cracker where you soak the lavish in vanilla davinci first? supposed to taste like cereal.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
have you done the cracker where you soak the lavish in vanilla davinci first? supposed to taste like cereal.
I plan to work on the sweet treats today! I'd love to find some ginger syrup and try making ginger/cinnamon crisps.

We're having tilapia for dinner, so I'll try crushing up some crackers that I have on hand to coat the tilapia before baking. Maybe drizzle a bit of butter on top and sprinkle with seasoning, too.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Please let us know if the breading works for you, Diana. I've been curious too.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I answered my own question:

Fried Shrimp

I coated these with cracker crumbs made with Joseph's Lavash bread--just toasted the bread with a little Pam sprayed on both sides, then ran it through the food processor to make coarse crumbs. Seasoned the jumbo shrimp (16-21 per pound) with Old Bay, coated them with a little flour (I used Kevinpa's cake and cookie blend, but you could use anything, whey protein powder, oat flour, etc.). Then dip in beaten egg and rolled in cracker crumbs and fried. They were Amazing!

only caveat is, the cracker crumbs will only coat a few shrimp -- one lavash made only 1/2 cup of crumbs and that covered 8 shrimp for 10 carbs. So I only ate five of the shrimp (my head is exploding with the math, so I can't tell you how many carbs 5/8 of 10 is right now!) Anyway, these were GIANT shrimp and 5 of them was almost too many. DH liked mine just as well as the ones I made him, using Panko crumbs.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I teach fifth grade, so I will bite the bullet and do the math: 5/8 of 10 is 50/8, or 6.25. So five of these giant shrimp were 6.25 carbs, coated with all of those wonderful Joseph's cracker crumbs. Not too bad...
Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Grocery List.. check!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Just found the lavash bread at a WalMart in Montgomery, AL. How do you go about making crackers?
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I cut the lavash into squares using a pizza cutter, then spray a small cookie sheet with cooking spray and lay the squares out on it. Then I spray the tops of the squares with cooking spray and sprinkle a little salt on top. Bake them at 350 for about 10 minutes, checking frequently to make sure they are not over browning. They must get just past golden, but not brown, in order to be crunchy. Let cool, then put into a zip-lock bag to keep.

When I wanted cracker crumbs for breading, I just sprayed a whole lavash with cooking spray on both sides, baked it for 10 minutes, turning it over about halfway through, until it was golden and crispy. Then I whirred it in the food processor for a few seconds to get it crumbed up.

For herbed crackers, I mixed up some "cracker seasoning" to sprinkle on top while cooking, out of sesame and caraway seeds, salt and pepper, herbs and cayenne. You can sprinkle any kind of seasoning on that you like, these are very versatile.

Last edited by dianafoot; 08-08-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Thanks for the reply. Sure sounds easy enough and so many options.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I love the lavash. I moistened it and put a little in meatloaf before, too. So many uses for this stuff. I'll be trying the cracker and cracker crumb idea with it soon. Scrumptious-looking shrimp!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Today I did what many have suggested and soaked the lavash in a little Toroni syrup--French vanilla-then sprinkled on a bit of powdered ginger and cinnamon and a whiff of salt and sprayed all with Pam. Baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Instant graham crackers! I couldn't eat more than half of them at a sitting, they were so filling. So many possibilities for these flat breads!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Has anybody tried Joseph's flax pita's? They are really good. I use them as pizza crusts and you can cut them into little triangles, bake them until they're crispy and you have little pita crackers to dip into spinach and artichoke dip. I have never tried the lavash, but it sounds good too. I appreciate having just a few prepackaged convenience foods cuz making all this stuff from scratch can be very time consuming!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
I love the pitas for sandwiches. We use them all the time, especially for camping. I also keep a supply of the Lavash bread crackers ( sf soaked and baked) in the freezer at all times. I tried soaking them in vinegar and salt ( like potato chips) and they were good too.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I found the pita breads at WalMart yesterday and made a pizza. So simple, toasted the pita after spraying both sides with cooking spray, then spread a little marinara sauce on, topped with cheese and veggies and baked at 375 for ten minutes until the cheese was melted and bubbly. Yummmm! The crust was only 5 net carbs, then adjust for whatever amount of sauce and veggies that you use. BTW, I could only eat half of this very small pizza, it was so filling!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Correction to an earlier post:
I used Joseph's Flat Bread rather than the lavash to make the crackers for the shrimp. the lavash bread is much much larger, lower in carbs (8 net carbs for the whole piece) and makes many more crackers/crumbs. So the same amount of shrimp coated with these crumbs would come to about 3-4 carbs for the whole batch, not counting what kind of "flour" that you dust on them before the egg wash. Totally worth the few carbs!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kali88
Stats: 277/225/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 06/29/12
I never cared for the baked Lavash crackers, so I tried deep frying them. WOW! They are so much better! I use a pizza cutter to cut them up in Cheez-it size pieces, deep fry for about 30 seconds at 375 while constantly stirring to get both sides brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with your favorite popcorn salt or seasoning. Yummy!

The texture/crispiness reminds me of a taco shell bowl, so I will be trying that sometime soon.
Kali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Today I did what many have suggested and soaked the lavash in a little Toroni syrup--French vanilla-then sprinkled on a bit of powdered ginger and cinnamon and a whiff of salt and sprayed all with Pam. Baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Instant graham crackers! I couldn't eat more than half of them at a sitting, they were so filling. So many possibilities for these flat breads!
I am wondering how long you soak your lavash and how much torani syrup it takes to do this? I am hoping to try this-but wondering, of course, if you have a soaked product or just damp? I would love graham crackers for smores! thanks in advance!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
I am wondering how long you soak your lavash and how much torani syrup it takes to do this? I am hoping to try this-but wondering, of course, if you have a soaked product or just damp? I would love graham crackers for smores! thanks in advance!
This is how I do it now. I make a whole bag at a time. I lay out one sheet on a cookie sheet with sides, pour some davinci syrup on it (enough to cover generously), and spread around with a pastry brush. We like things really sweet so I sprinkle with powdered swerve. I place the next sheet on top of the first one and repeat until all four are in a stack. Use a pizza cutter to cut through the 4 sheets into the sizes you want. I used to bake these in a 325 oven until crispy but burned too many of them so I have gone back to dehydrating them for several hours. Put them on, walk away, come back in 3-4 hours and crisp not burned crackers.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info Barbara-I am probably going to try your way also-I have a dehydrator and I would love to do a pkg at a time! sounds like the easy way to do several! thanks for the input!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Thanks for the info Barbara-I am probably going to try your way also-I have a dehydrator and I would love to do a pkg at a time! sounds like the easy way to do several! thanks for the input!
Your welcome. I store these in four small freezer bags in frig or freezer. That way I know about how much we are eating. Lately,my husband and I have been sharing a bag at night for a snack. I dip mine in guacamole and he dips his in onion dip. The sweetness of the cracker pairs well with the different dips.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

another great idea to keep the portions on track-I need all the help in that dept too! I plan on working on these this weekend--I am hoping to try several flavors and some savory too--I am looking forward to having something to snack! I like the guacamole idea! yum! I have one of those big dehydrators-the 9 shelf square ones so I am planning a big drying spree!