Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peggy's Individual Chia Sandwich Bread (MW)

Been tinkering around with this all morning long. I'm a happy camper now. Finally have a MW bread I'll be making often. Best of all, no coconut flour taste in the background, no sodium-laden cheese, no cream cheese, and no egg whites to whip. Just the kinda bread a somewhat lazy cook like me needs. If you have the ingredients around, this one is worth a try!

I’ve been experimenting all day with a recipe of Centaura57 (on ActiveLowCarber forums’s) called 2-carb Bread Bun and after 5 attempts, have gotten a result I’m really pleased with. Great texture, not crumbly at all, not bitter like some flax buns, quite moist and has the elasticity of yeast breads I just didn’t get in other flax bread recipes. I’m just not too fond of flax breads I’ve made to date. Usually have to FORCE myself to finish a sandwich made with them, as they remind me of what I would imagine eating sawdust would be like. Not so with THIS bread. I scarfed down the tuna sandwich pictured above with no problem at all. And chia is very filling (like flax) so this sandwich will “stay with you” longer than many.

I use NOW brand unflavored, unsweetened protein powder, and when I made her recipe as written, it came out very dry. But we low-carb cooks have learned over time that all protein powders are not created equal. That likely was my problem. Tried baking one adding glucomannan powder, but that didn’t resolve the dryness issue.

I’ve been wanting to try out my new egg white protein powder I bought and decided to sub in some of that, use olive oil rather than coconut (don’t like CO in non-dessert baked goods), but that alone didn’t do the trick either. Next round, I added what I think was the magical moisture boost…..2 T. chia gel. It’s known to add moisture in a way that pure water just does not. So I decided what the heck. I now always grind my chia seeds up in a coffee grinder, then mix my chia gel using 1 T. ground chia to 9 T. water. I just shake it up in a lidded jar repeatedly every 5 minutes or so until it gels up (about 10-15 minutes total). Any leftover gel will keep in the refrigerator in that lidded jar for about a week.

I used one of those sliced bread-shaped containers used for kids lunchboxes to cook mine in. Yeah, yeah, please don’t lecture……I know about cooking in plastic. A glass square dish might be a healthier choice, but we all get to make our choices in life. What can I say, I like my bread to be shaped like bread. Given the minute amount of chia seeds in this, 2/9 of 1 T., I wouldn’t think this bread would be a problem on Induction. My thanks to Centaura57 for the inspiration for this recipe. This is a bread I’ll be making often.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp. olive oil
2 T. chia gel (made using 1 part ground chia seed : 9 parts water)
pinch salt
2 T. whey protein powder, unflavored, unsweetened (I use NOW brand)
2 T. egg white protein powder (I use NOW brand)
½ tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. flax meal
OPTIONAL: pinch each of caraway seed, onion powder (for rye version)

DIRECTIONS: In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg. Add oil and chia gel and stir well. Add remaining ingredients in order listed. With rubber spatula, scrape batter into a flat microwave dish that is at least 1″ deep. Microwave on HI for 1 minute 20 seconds. Since microwaves vary (I use a 1200 watt unit), you might check at 1 minutes and then add more time if needed, to be safe. Cool and tip onto cutting board. Slice laterally into two thinner slices.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 serving of 2 slices. Entire recipe contains:

350 calories
23.3 g fat
11.6 g carbs, 9.1 g fiber, 2.5 g NET CARBS
22.2 g protein
558 mg sodium
482 mg potassium
10% RDA Vitamin A, 13% B6, 27% b12, 29% calcium, 46% copper, 38% iron, 40% magnesium, 41% manganese, 75% phosphorous, 42% selenium, 47% thiamin and 22% zinc.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't recommend making a bunch of this and storing. It will slightly toughen over time. Probably the chia gel. So I would just make up the 1 serving (or exact # servings) you plan to use immediately.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
I'm going to try this.
Does chia have much flavor?
Is there anything that can be used in lieu of the whey and egg protein?

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It has no flavor at all to me. Well, sure you can sub in other flour subs, but you won't end up with the same bread. Thing about low-carb baking is there is a synergy of ingredients that subbing can destroy. the ratio of the various ingredients is super important and which you use is often critical for the results. This is perhaps more true baking LC breads than anything else. You could perhaps use all whey protein, as she did in the original recipe, but I would not recommend any other flour subs for this.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Peggy, this looks great! Can't wait to give it a try!

Now I have a question, since you are so good at tinkering . The thing I miss most about bread is that wonderful yeast smell when I bite into it. Now, I understand that yeast itself isn't going to do a darn thing functionally in a gluten-free bread, but I don't care about that - I want the SMELL! I have tried a couple times adding yeast to my various attempts at bread, but I haven't been able to maintain that yeasty smell once the bread is baked. All I have managed to accomplish so far is to kill some poor yeasty critters.

Got any ideas? I may be missing something simple. And thanks for all your experimentation!

BTW, I like your comments about microwaving in plastic. I cant get too excited about it either, when I think of all the **other** bullets we're dodging just by eating low carb!

Last edited by gharkness; 07-31-2012 at 05:11 AM..
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Your bread looks good Peggy. Thanks for the recipe.

I too miss that yeast smell......hmmm......
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Nigel.

If I were going to put say 1/2 tsp. of yeast in this for smell/taste, I'd put it in warm liquid. Perhaps heating the chia gel just a few seconds on DEFROST in a MW and putting the yeast in it first while you put the dry ingredients together would coax those yeast beasties into giving off that aroma? Ya think a pinch of AS would fool their primitive brains, like our taste buds fool our brains, that there's real sugar "incoming"? LOL
Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think it's worth a try...

Yesterday I read somewhere that inulin makes the yeast react like sugar does. Of course I haven't ever used inulin and don't have any...but I thought it was worth mentioning in case someone else does.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made this bread two more times this afternoon and have found that using less chia (½ Tbsp. and ½ Tbsp. water to replace that moisture) is better. I also totally eliminated the egg protein and upped the whey protein to ¼ c. It is not getting tougher as it cools in the refrigerator. I just checked. It's maintaining the more soft, chewy texture it had right when it was hot out of the oven. It made a delicious sauteed slivered steak and onion sandwich at super; also good just buttered while it was hot.

Making these changes should allow you to make these ahead and store in the refrigerator just as long as MIM's and other flax breads (about 10 days).

Negligible nutritional changes: Cals. 346, 24.2g. fat, 10g carbs, 7.8 g fiber, 2.2 NetCarbs, 31.5 g protein.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-31-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the update, Peggy.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Peggy, this looks great! Can't wait to give it a try!

Now I have a question, since you are so good at tinkering . The thing I miss most about bread is that wonderful yeast smell when I bite into it. Now, I understand that yeast itself isn't going to do a darn thing functionally in a gluten-free bread, but I don't care about that - I want the SMELL! I have tried a couple times adding yeast to my various attempts at bread, but I haven't been able to maintain that yeasty smell once the bread is baked. All I have managed to accomplish so far is to kill some poor yeasty critters.

Got any ideas? I may be missing something simple. And thanks for all your experimentation!

BTW, I like your comments about microwaving in plastic. I cant get too excited about it either, when I think of all the **other** bullets we're dodging just by eating low carb!
You might also try the Fresh Baked Bread extract from Nature's Flavors. I am not that taken with it, but you know how these flavorings are, for every hater there is a lover of the same flavor... while you are there order the Corn flavor too. it is wonderful. I do not recommend Tomato, and I am pretty neutral on Raisin and Pannetone. The Onion flavoring powder, zero carb and calorie, is so stinky that even in the garage double bagged in plastic in a JAR it could be smelled all over the house. really remarkable. do not even think of buying it! LOL
Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oooooo. that "Fresh Baked Bread" sounds real good, RRose.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I made this bread two more times this afternoon and have found that using less chia (½ Tbsp. and ½ Tbsp. water to replace that moisture) is better.
I think I misunderstood this. I took it to mean, mix 1/2 T chia and 1/2 T water. This made a batter that was WAY too dry. I had to whisk in water at the end. I am guessing you meant to make the chia gel as originally stated and use 1/2 T of that and 1/2 T. additional water?

These were good. thank you! I put the batter in a silicone loaf pan and microwaved. It was done in about 2 minutes. I planned to cut it into two slices, but it was so thick I ended up splitting it into four slices.

I know people badger the heck out of you with "what about?s" and you can't tell without making it that way which the questioner should just do himself... LOL

But I do wonder about oat fiber in this. For my flax muffins, the proportion I find ideal is 1.5 scoops flax to 2 scoops oat fiber to 1 scoop whey protein powder. I am trying to really limit my protein intake to try to get into ketosis again at some point, so I am thinking of trying to eliminate the whey in both the muffins and this bread. Unfortunately my husband really NEEDS that protein, and I hate having to make a separate recipe for him. The other thing that really improves the texture of my muffins is a dab (up to 2 T) of canned pumpkin. It has surprisingly little flavor in the final muffin but really does a lot for moisture and texture. I will try the chia in that instead too.

Last edited by ravenrose; 08-02-2012 at 01:24 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I meant 1/2 T. gel and another 1/2 T. water as well, for the needed moisture. Hmmm....the pumpkin idea sounds good!

I'm very cautious with oat fiber, having used too much in a couple things when I first started experimenting with it. They were so dry I couldn't swallow the end product. So I start small there and increase with subsequent bakings. But you could try it and that dab of pumpkin and pull it off! Let us know how that comes out if you try it.

I ate my improved version (less chia, more water and no eggwhite protein) leftover at lunch today for a BBQ sandwich. the new version did NOT get tougher in the fridge overnight. And man is this stuff ever FILLING! Wasn't even hungry for dinner by 7pm, but went on and cooked it because hubby was!

Last edited by buttoni; 08-02-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Thanks for the info, Ravenrose. I am astonished to know NF is still in business, but I'll take a look!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hunted awhile on their site and couldn't find it. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: I finally found it, but it's a little pricey at $11.95, plus $10.00 shipping, to my area. I'll have to think about that awhile.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-05-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
subscribing
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/124/<120 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian and Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2011
Thank you so much for this recipe. I made 6 slices of bread on Sunday and I just love it. I used the modifications from post #9.

I made a tuna sandwich on Sunday night, with plenty of mustard slathered on the bread. By lunchtime on Monday, the bread was perfectly firm and I had no trouble with crumbling. The refrigeration did not cause any problems, the bread stayed soft and the sandwich was so enjoyable. Thank you. Thank you!!!
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WONDERFUL, MargD! I had a PBJ on two thinner slices of it and that worked out well, too. Good to hear it holds up to moisture overnight. I'm retired now, but I've packed a lunch or two in my time. I'm sure others here appreciate the feedback on it being great for packing lunches for work then. I'll have to note that on my website for my readers there as well. Thanks so much for that feedback!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm starting to experiment adding yeast for taste/smell only, but my first trial was with ¼ tsp. and that wasn't enough. I'll "up the ante" next baking, but I'm out of town at the moment. DH is holding down the fort and keeping the rat terriers at bay while I'm gone. Hope to be back home tomorrow, so stay tuned for more yeast testing on this. To be continued...........
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I have to tell you, I am loving this bread. The only difference I have made is to sub 1 T. of flax for 1 T. of Parmesan (green top can), added a 1/4? t. gluc (made it rise even more!), and a drop or 2 or liquid Stevia. Yes, I can get 3 slices out of it now. It toasts well, too. Going to try a cinnamon "sugar" version soon, but love it as is. Thank you! Oh, and so easy to throw together and no eggy taste. Going out of town this fall and plan on making a few baggies of the dry mix to take with me.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/124/<120 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian and Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
WONDERFUL, MargD! I had a PBJ on two thinner slices of it and that worked out well, too. Good to hear it holds up to moisture overnight. I'm retired now, but I've packed a lunch or two in my time. I'm sure others here appreciate the feedback on it being great for packing lunches for work then. I'll have to note that on my website for my readers there as well. Thanks so much for that feedback!
You're welcome. I was wary of making my sandwich the night before, which is my habit, and almost decided to make it in the morning because I didn't know how the bread would react. Glad I took the chance and had it turn out so well.

I think feedback is such a small price to pay. I'm so grateful to those who experiment and provide these great recipes that benefit so many.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tilly, I tried a slice doctored up with cinnamon, stevia and butter and it toasted/broiled up nicely. No eggy taste for sure. Have to admit, not much taste at all really. But a lovely texture.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tette
Stats: 253/228/198
WOE: south beach
Start Date: feb/2013
YOU ARE AMAZING!
I just ate a BLT sandwich!!!!!!!!

It was a little crumbly i did the adjustments but still looked wet in the middle so i nuked it some more in total 120 then 40 more sec then 20 more i may have over nuked it. it was still wet but after it cooled it was dryer even though it was a little crumbly it was as close to a sandwich i got in a long time.....darn it was good thanks for finding this out for us
tette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmmm. Mine have never come out wet, not even center-top, where most MW breads tend to be damp/sticky if undercooked. Are you sure you only put 1/2 tablespoon chia gel and 1/2 tablespoon water? Maybe you had a really large egg? Gee, I just don't know what might have happened. Of course, microwaves and protein powders vary, as we have discussed many time her on various discussions. I always use NOW unflavored protein powder. But I'm glad you enjoyed your BLT anyway, Tette, and do hope your next one will come out even better for you. I've made probably 8-9 of these now and in my Maytag 1200 watt MW this cooks up perfectly in exactly 1 minute. I made two slices of pizza on one today. It came out real good. I've don it sliced into two pieces of toast for breakfast. It toasts OK if I leave it to brown a long time. Did a yellow squash-stuffing souffle-type dish the other night with one that was delish. I'm really liking this little quick bread.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-09-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday I made two small pizza "slices" using this bread for the crust and that came out good. I toasted the slices first and then topped with sausage, mushrooms and peppers and baked.

Tonight, it also made a broiled garlic bread to go with my baked Italian zucchini dish. I just spread it with a little butter, garlic powder, Parmesan and oregano sprinkled on top. Mmmm it was GOOD as garlic bread!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hmmmm. Mine have never come out wet, not even center-top, where most MW breads tend to be damp/sticky if undercooked. Are you sure you only put 1/2 tablespoon chia gel and 1/2 tablespoon water? Maybe you had a really large egg? Gee, I just don't know what might have happened. Of course, microwaves and protein powders vary, as we have discussed many time her on various discussions. I always use NOW unflavored protein powder. But I'm glad you enjoyed your BLT anyway, Tette, and do hope your next one will come out even better for you. I've made probably 8-9 of these now and in my Maytag 1200 watt MW this cooks up perfectly in exactly 1 minute. I made two slices of pizza on one today. It came out real good. I've don it sliced into two pieces of toast for breakfast. It toasts OK if I leave it to brown a long time. Did a yellow squash-stuffing souffle-type dish the other night with one that was delish. I'm really liking this little quick bread.

The egg should not be the problem. I use extra large in everything and mine turns out just like it should.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
thank you!

sounds so good-subscribing
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just made this again last night and reduced the whey protein to 2 T. and think it is improved. A little softer in texture to me. I've updated the recipe and altered the nutritional information to reflect that change.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just made this again last night and reduced the whey protein to 2 T. and think it is improved. A little softer in texture to me. I've updated the recipe and altered the nutritional information to reflect that change.
I have noted the changes on my copy, but can you tell me where all that sodium is coming from? Enjoying this recipe a LOT!