Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitnwhole
Stats: 173/168/130
WOE: Atkins
Cookbook Recommendations?

Looking for a GREAT low carb (preferably GF using almond & coconut flour). I'm new to this Low Carb Lifestyle and I really don't want to feel deprived. I'm getting a little nervous...my first time cooking with coconut flour (found a recipe online that required ridiculous amounts of eggs but I followed this popular diet exactly) and it was disgusting. Turnip fries...gross (boiled them and they were still nasty). Cauliflower mashed "potatoes" ..alright, I guess.

Is this what I have to look forward to. So I'm asking..NO, Begging for some cookbook recommendations, recipes, tips, etc that will make this journey more enjoyable
fitnwhole is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnwhole View Post
Looking for a GREAT low carb (preferably GF using almond & coconut flour). I'm new to this Low Carb Lifestyle and I really don't want to feel deprived. I'm getting a little nervous...my first time cooking with coconut flour (found a recipe online that required ridiculous amounts of eggs but I followed this popular diet exactly) and it was disgusting. Turnip fries...gross (boiled them and they were still nasty). Cauliflower mashed "potatoes" ..alright, I guess.

Is this what I have to look forward to. So I'm asking..NO, Begging for some cookbook recommendations, recipes, tips, etc that will make this journey more enjoyable
of course, you can't go wrong with Low Carbing Among Friends, the cookbook the Jennifer Eloff spearheaded, featuring many low carb chefs from this site. I also love Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb Recipes, though at the time, there was not an emphasis on gluten-free flour replacements.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I also love George Stella's cookbook, Eating Stella Style, because he includes calorie counts as well as carb counts and he makes suggestions for changing up each recipe. Of all his cookbooks, this is my favorite.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
ANY of Jen Eloff's cookbooks are fantastic! I have most of them and love them all. She has some great GF flour blend recipes and shares freely of them on this very board, so it's always nice to support her efforts by purchasing one or more of her books!

I also love Dana Carpender's books and have a couple of them, along with Sharron Long.

I'm not such a fan of George Stella because he uses so much soy flour and 1) I don't care for the taste of it and 2) because my sister is hypothyroid, I avoid soy as much as possible unless it's fermented (tempeh, soy sauce and the like).

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Its not a cookbook, but Linda Sue's website has some awesome recipes. I really like a lot of her main dishes. I don't think I am allowed to link to it, but if you google Linda Sue Low carb, you will find it.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I just answered this question in your first post about using the flours. Here is a copy/paste of my answer:

I just got Elana's cookbook that uses almond flour. It is called "the almond flour cookbook" LOL. She has a great website and it is elanaspantry. The recipes are there. She also has a cupcake cookbook that I just got. I just got these books and have not had an opportunity to cook anything from them yet. But I got them both because I love almond flour and we love cupcakes!!

I also have Dana Carpender's low carb books. She has quite a few great low carb cookbooks!!! They are fantastic!

Those are the 2 I recommend. Anyone who uses soy flour I steer clear from. Simply because I don't like it and I know that George Stella (Food Network low carb chef) uses that. So I don't recommend any of his, but I know that a lot of folks here do. There are other threads on here about low carb cookbooks. I always suggest starting to look for them in your library. That way you can try before you buy! Here are a few threads you can look at:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...addiction.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...g-solenda.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...n-allowed.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...soy-flour.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cookbooks.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-opinions.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ook-books.html

This should get you started!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 07-22-2012 at 06:08 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Not a cookbook but the website Nom Nom Paleo has pretty good recipes (and glorious food pics) too. Just made her Oven Braised Mexican Beef last night and was delish.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

While it is true that many of George Stella's books do have a number of recipes that use soy flour, Eating Stella Style emphasizes using almond flour. None of the dessert, "bread" or pancake recipes uses soy, usually only almond flour or some other healthy ingredient. In fact, I only found one recipe in the entire book of over 200 recipes that uses soy flour, and that recipe could easily sub any flour, as it's used only to coat something before frying. I like the book because the recipes are full of fresh, healthy ingredients, all of the food counts are given, and he suggests ways to change them up to fit your eating style.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitnwhole
Stats: 173/168/130
WOE: Atkins
Thanks I think I'm going to get the Low Carb friends cookbook first and then the Stella Style cookbook.
fitnwhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaGergets
Stats: 155/130.8/130; 5' tall
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: Started 08/03/2012; Goal reached: 11/06/2012
SO glad I found this thread!

My husband does 99.9% of the cooking and asked me to find a cookbook for him. BOY, was I excited to see that there was a low carb friends cookbook out! Just got it on Amazon and it'll be here on Monday! WOOT WOOT!
LisaGergets is offline   Reply With Quote