Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitnwhole
Stats: 173/168/130
WOE: Atkins
Almond Flour vs Coconut Flour vs Soy Flour

Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie and this is my first thread . I love to bake and wanted to know which flour is best for specific baked goods (bread, muffins, cake, rolls). My son is on a gluten free diet so I can't use any of the low carb baking mixes.

BTW I tried one recipe with coconut flour and I wasn't impressed but hey they could've been the recipe.

Which flour do you prefer?

Thanks
fitnwhole is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
to LCF

It depends on what you want to bake , we have gluten free bake mixes from a # of friends. Pooti, Jen.

And then there are others that are not GF.
Have you done any searching?

This thread has a lot of recipes for everything.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

good thread
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tortillas.html

Jen's GF bake mix is #8 on this thread
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...pics-incl.html

This is a good one from Pooti
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-yum-pics.html

good one Jens
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...lots-pics.html

We use different flours some have to be mixed together.
Almond flour----many uses muffins, cookies, 3 min. chocolate cookie
coconut flour----needs more liquids and should be mixed with other flours
soy flour---- if you can use it it can work out great. There's a faux Atkins mix on here.
Just holler if you have more questions. We are very friendly.

This is a lot to read. Good luck and welcome!

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-20-2012 at 07:41 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi...

Welcome...My "go to" is basically almond flour and maybe with a touch of coconut flour from time to time.

There are soooooo many great recipes..Do a "search" and put in almond flour or coconut flour and you will find lots of great recipes.

Bread and rolls are the hardest things to duplicate and taste like the "real" thing without using gluten..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi...

Welcome...My "go to" is basically almond flour and maybe with a touch of coconut flour from time to time.

There are soooooo many great recipes..Do a "search" and put in almond flour or coconut flour and you will find lots of great recipes.

Bread and rolls are the hardest things to duplicate and taste like the "real" thing without using gluten..
This^^^^

I stay away--far away from soy flour. I hate soy flour. Tastes icky
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
to LCF

It depends on what you want to bake , we have gluten free bake mixes from a # of friends. Pooti, Jen.

And then there are others that are not GF.
Have you done any searching?

This thread has a lot of recipes for everything.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

good thread
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tortillas.html

Jen's GF bake mix is #8 on this thread
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...pics-incl.html

This is a good one from Pooti
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-yum-pics.html

good one Jens
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...lots-pics.html

We use different flours some have to be mixed together.
Almond flour----many uses muffins, cookies, 3 min. chocolate cookie
coconut flour----needs more liquids and should be mixed with other flours
soy flour---- if you can use it it can work out great. There's a faux Atkins mix on here.
Just holler if you have more questions. We are very friendly.

This is a lot to read. Good luck and welcome!
Thanks, I too was looking for info on flours. I'm on Atkins but also on a yeast free diet because of Candida overgrowth. Do you know if these flours work well for the Candida Diet also? I know the GF diet and the Candida Diet are similar.
dbglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglasgow View Post
Thanks, I too was looking for info on flours. I'm on Atkins but also on a yeast free diet because of Candida overgrowth. Do you know if these flours work well for the Candida Diet also? I know the GF diet and the Candida Diet are similar.
I don't think that the almonds would be a good idea. I know that nuts are not on the candida diet. So the almond flour is out. Not so sure of the others though. I know that coconut itself is anti-yeast, so go ahead and use that one!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Some diets for candida overgrowth allow nuts, I'm on a doctor proscribed one with meds and nuts are allowed, flax too, oats in recipes, no dairy, no grains, no sugar, no nitrates, no fruit the first 2 weeks. I thnk there is some differing opinions, but I'm not an expert. Just about through with my cleanse. I'm ready for yogurt and cheese!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
My cookbook from the doc has both coconut flour and almond flour recipes in it.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Some diets for candida overgrowth allow nuts, I'm on a doctor proscribed one with meds and nuts are allowed, flax too, oats in recipes, no dairy, no grains, no sugar, no nitrates, no fruit the first 2 weeks. I thnk there is some differing opinions, but I'm not an expert. Just about through with my cleanse. I'm ready for yogurt and cheese!
Yes, I've seen that some say no nuts but many say that certain type nuts, including almonds are ok... of course everything in moderation. I've cut out the all nuts for right now. I'm only on day 3 of yeast free. I'll try adding back in almonds after the two weeks. I just want to order some products that I can use in recipes after the two week cleanse.

By the way, how is it going for you?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I don't think that the almonds would be a good idea. I know that nuts are not on the candida diet. So the almond flour is out. Not so sure of the others though. I know that coconut itself is anti-yeast, so go ahead and use that one!
Thanks Dawn, there is a lot of different info out there about what is allowed. I have cut out all nuts for now but wanted to know what flour and other products to order for future use.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnwhole View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie and this is my first thread . I love to bake and wanted to know which flour is best for specific baked goods (bread, muffins, cake, rolls). My son is on a gluten free diet so I can't use any of the low carb baking mixes.

BTW I tried one recipe with coconut flour and I wasn't impressed but hey they could've been the recipe.

Which flour do you prefer?

Thanks

If you are looking for a bread to make that is gluten free, I have been making almond butter bread with great success. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ter-bread.html

Jennifer's gluten free bake mix.

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX

1 2/3 cups almond flour
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum

In large bowl, combine almond flour, OR almond meal, oat flour (if you are intolerant to gluten-free oat flour then substitute some other gluten-free flour), coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

**Instructions: Substitute 1/4 cup additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup or more than 1 cup flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp more if substituting for less than 1 cup. Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, cakes, coffeecakes and loaves (except for cookies usually as it changes the texture) and withholding about half the liquid/wet/fat ingredients and adding in as necessary. If the batter after processing at least a minute is still very thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience will be helpful. Coconut flour needs eggs.

*This bake mix is great in muffins, loaves, cookies, donuts, coffeecakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties and it binds ingredients together preventing crumbly outcomes.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) 1/4 cup (60 mL) per serving 125.7 calories 4.5 g protein 8.9 g fat 5.7 g carbs

I have quite a few almond flour and coconut flour recipes. Here's a few of my faves. There are tons of almond flour and coconut flour recipes on here.

CANDICE’S LOW CARB ALMOND FLOUR PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies(42)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup natural peanut butter(sugar free, I use Kirkland organic brand)
1 cup splenda(or sweetener of your choice)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups ground almonds/almond meal/almond flour 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375F

In small bowl combine ground almonds, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In mixing bowl add butter and peanut butter. Mix on high with paddle attachment until smooth. Add splenda and mix until fluffy. Scrap bowl down. Add eggs one at a time with mixer running then add vanilla. Scrap down bowl. Last add the almond flour mixture. Mix just until combined.

You can either bake right away or store dough in the refrigerator in airtight container until a little more firm. You can also pre-scoop all the dough and refrigerate or freeze what you do not want to bake right away. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, or nonstick baking liner. Scoop with a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop(#60), if you don’t have one,~ scoop 1 Tablespoon then roll in your hand to make ball(if you are doing this way you will definitely need to let dough firm up a bit in refrigerator). Lightly press down cookie with a fork making a crisscross pattern.

Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes

Nutritional information for 1 cookie:

Energy 104 kcal Carbohydrate, Total 2.46 g Sugars, total 0.70 g Fiber, total dietary 1.06 g Protein 3.44 g Total lipid (fat) 9.39 g

Chocolate Almond Joy Cake

RECIPE

4 eggs (I use 3 and a tad more coconut milk)
¾ cup canned coconut milk
2 teaspoons almond extract
¾ cup coconut palm sugar (I use erythritol and splenda)
½ cup blanched almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 bar of 72% chopped dark chocolate

1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and palm sugar with a mixer.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet with a mixer.
4. Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips.
5. Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
6. Pour batter into dish, then sprinkle shredded coconut and remaining chocolate chips on top.
7. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. (Enjoy the smell of toasted coconut wafting through the house!)
8. Cool for 1 hour.
9. Serve.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

1 cup finely ground pecans and walnuts
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stickof butter, melted
2/3 cup of Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
SF Chocolate Chips (1/2 cup or more)
chopped nuts (1/2 cup or less)

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.

Butter/pam a 8 x 8 pan and pour in cookie bar mixture and bake at 350 until done. It will take about 20 minutes or so.

Cool and serve. I kept mine covered in the fridge

Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake

If you would like to have a piece of cake when it is a special day or time to celebrate an event you may want to try this cake. It's rich and moist. Tried a super no stick silicone bundt pan and it was gorgeous

Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened at room temperature
· 1/2 cup full fat cream cheese
· 3/4 cup Splenda
· 5 large eggs, at room temperature
· 2 cups almond flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon lemon extract
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter, cream cheese and Splenda together, mixing well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. In a separate bowl, mix almond flour with baking powder. Add egg/butter mixture to flour a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts.

Pour into greased 9"-10" Springform pan, bundt pan, ring pan, (or 9" round cake pan) and bake at 350°F for 50-55 minutes.

You can change flavors for this cake by using different extract flavors and even food color if you like!

Makes 12 servings. 6.1 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitnwhole
Stats: 173/168/130
Wow! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, recipes, and advice. I heard that soy flour was yucky but the Blaine Low Carb Guy (I don't know if he is still on the food network) used it a lot in his recipes. I'm trying to get my entire household on a GF diet because my son is on it and I will be low carbing it so it would make life easier. I don't mind baking...actually I loved it until I had to give up wheat. Now I'm not happy with anything I bake because it all taste fake.

The only low carb substitute that came out very similiar to the "real" food was the chicken parmesan I made with pork rinds as breading. Other than that I haven't enjoyed any of the coconut flour baked good but then again I haven't mixed it with other flours. I'm praying (literally) the almond flour will be my saving grace so I can make cakes, pies, etc for my family.

Can you guys recommend a REALLY good cookbook? (Perhaps I should start a new thread for this.)
fitnwhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I generally use almond flour. I have some coconut flour but I haven't tried it yet. I think it has more carbs than the almond flour.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #14

I just got Elana's cookbook that uses almond flour. It is called "the almond flour cookbook" LOL. She has a great website and it is elanaspantry. The recipes are there. She also has a cupcake cookbook that I just got. I just got these books and have not had an opportunity to cook anything from them yet. But I got them both because I love almond flour and we love cupcakes!!

I also have Dana Carpender's low carb books. She has quite a few great low carb cookbooks!!! They are fantastic!

Those are the 2 I recommend. Anyone who uses soy flour I steer clear from. Simply because I don't like it and I know that George Stella (Food Network low carb chef) uses that. So I don't recommend any of his, but I know that a lot of folks here do. There are other threads on here about low carb cookbooks. I always suggest starting to look for them in your library. That way you can try before you buy! Here are a few threads you can look at:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...addiction.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...g-solenda.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...n-allowed.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...soy-flour.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cookbooks.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-opinions.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ook-books.html

This should get you started!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 07-22-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I would recommend the Low Carbing Amoung Friends cook book, it's gluten-free, wheat free and sugar free. It includes recipes from Jennifer Eloff, Kent Altena, Maria Emmerich, Dana Carpender, Carolyn Ketchum and Lisa Marshall. Amazing recipes!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I would recommend the Low Carbing Amoung Friends cook book, it's gluten-free, wheat free and sugar free. It includes recipes from Jennifer Eloff, Kent Altena, Maria Emmerich, Dana Carpender, Carolyn Ketchum and Lisa Marshall. Amazing recipes!!
I'm with Gina on this one, lots of really good recipes in it. I also have a couple of Dana Carpender's and George Stella. I have Jen's Splendid Low Carb Baking as well as a couple Atkins cookbooks. George Stella does use soy flour a lot but I usually just substitute with another mix or G-F blend. I use Kevin's Carbalose flour mix a lot. You can always sub out ingredients you don't care for or don't wish to use with whatever you like. It may take some experimenting but it's doable! I think coconut flour is best added in small amounts usually using another flour like almond or a gluten-free mix with it. I don't use a lot of coconut flour so I'm no expert. I would like to use it more than I do though just don't seem to find the time to experiment enough.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Now, how about peanut flour. I ran across a recipe for an english muffing that called for peanut flour of which I didn't have on hand. I subbed flax meal and a bit of coconut flour. Has anyone experiemented with peanut flour?
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
:Welcome: ftnwhole!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi...

This^^is what I use. My youngest daughter has a gluten sensitivity. So we stay away from ALL grains and starches. The starches mostly because of the carbs. So, it depends what level of grain free you are going for.

In addition to all the great recipes and links here, check out All Day I Dream About Food. She is a low carb baker and she is amazing! She recently even posted a cupcake recipe using sunflower seed flour, for people who can't do nuts. She's my favorite for baking.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote