Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Oh, you put a big smile on my face, Slbbw. So glad you liked them this time. I'm liking them so much I came up with two new variations today. I made one batch of the dough and split it in half between two bowls. Fewer ingredients but opportunity for two flavor trials. This time I did Pineapple-Pecan and Fresh Cherry. Mmmm, those came out good, too! Can ya tell I'm having fun with this one? LOL I'll post those recipes and counts, along with pics shortly. Got to type them up first. It a darn good thing these freeze so nicely. I'll have hubby's cookies baked for a MONTH!

Last edited by buttoni; 07-15-2012 at 03:06 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
ooooooooooH Peggy these sound great. I need to get some gluc badly.
I can't use the oat fiber ( no grains ) , so can I just add more almond flour?

Sometimes I just have to work them out so I can eat it. WOO WHOO
this ones sounds good.

Thanks
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think that will work fine, Esther, as it's only a tablespoon.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD

Okay, I hope my inspiration worked. I adore Trader Joe's marcona almonds with rosemary, so I added some fresh rosemary to this recipe and topped each with a rosemary marcona almond. I made them tea sized for my party tomorrow. I sure hope they are as yummy as they smell!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, my, those look so pretty, Beverly! I like that idea! Be sure to let them cool before eating so they are at their chewiest.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's my Pineapple-Pecan Version

I made some delicious pineapple cookies this afternoon. They came out kind of chewy and are still like that after they cooled off. I got this base batter idea from the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the Honeyville Farms Blanched Almond flour bag. I made some drastic changes to their basic dough, however. They used all almond flour in their recipe and I’ve added some ingredients I find improve baked goods a bit. I’m very pleased with the chewy texture of these and will likely use this cookie dough for many variations in the future. These freeze well and are even chewier eaten right out of the freezer!! These are not suitable until the advanced fruits rung of the Atkins OWL ladder, or near Pre-Maintenance.

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
½ c. coconut flour
1 T. oat fiber
1 tsp. glucomannan powder (konjac powder)
1/8 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
½ c. grapeseed oil (or softened butter, if you prefer)
2 T. almond butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ tsp. pineapple extract (I used Superior Products brand)
½ c. granular Splenda
1 T. erythritol
1 egg, beaten
¼ c. sugar-free imitation honey (I make my own to save money, see below)
½ c. juice pack crushed pineapple (water pack if available), drained well
½ c. chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Measure out all wet ingredients including the pineapple into a large mixing bowl. Beat well with a fork until smooth. Measure out all dry ingredients, including the nuts, on top of the wet and stir well to blend. The dough will be moderately stiff. Roll into 1″ balls and place them onto parchment lined baking sheet. Press balls down slightly flat and try to leave 1″ between cookies. Pop pan into preheated oven. Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Do not overbrown these cookies or texture will be drier and less chewy. Remove from oven and cool completely on the pan before attempting to remove with a spatula. These are delicate while hot but “firm up” nicely when they cool. Store in an airtight container. I store mine in the freezer and eat them without even defrosting!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 30 cookies, each contains:

110.4 calories
9.79 g fat
4.55 g carbs, 2.07 g fiber, 2.48 g NET CARBS
2.55 g protein
45 mg sodium
23.2 mg potassium
9% RDA Vitamin E, 8% copper, 8% manganese

HOMEMADE IMITATION HONEY: Modified slightly from a recipe of Birgit Kerr posted here on LCF some time ago. You boil for 2-3 minutes ¼ c. erythritol (her recipe used xylitol), 1 tsp. honey, 2 T. imitation honey and 1 pkt. stevia or Splenda (Birgit used SweetOne). Cool and put in airtight jar. If it crystalizes eventually (mine did), soften in microwave on defrost a minute or so before using.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-15-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's the Fresh Cherry Version

For some reason, these took longer to get done in the center, by a good 2-3 minutes, and they therefore browned more on the edges. Not sure why, but they did. Didn't spoil their flavor or texture though!

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
½ c. coconut flour
1 T. oat fiber
1/8 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
2 T. almond butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. almond extract
½ c. granular Splenda
1 T. erythritol
1 egg, beaten
20 fresh cherries, pitted and chopped coarsely

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Line cookie pan with parchment or silicone sheet. Measure out all wet ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat to blend well until smooth. Measure out dry ingredients on top of the wet and stir in until you have a smooth dough. It will be moderately stiff. Work cherries into dough with your hands like you were making a meatloaf. The cherries WILL discolor your batter a bit. Such is life. But that won’t impact flavor ONE bit! Roll cookie dough into 1″ balls and place them onto baking sheet lined with parchment or silicone sheet. Press balls down slightly flat and pop pan into preheated oven. Leave 1″ space between cookies. Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Do not overbrown these cookies or texture will be drier and less chewy. When cool, remove with a spatula and store in an airtight container. These freeze well and I like to eat them right out of the freezer!

98.6 calories
8.51 g fat
4.39 g carbs, 1.96 g fiber, 2.43 g NET CARBS
2.42 g protein
45 mg sodium
20.9 mg potassium
9% RDA Vitamin E and 8% iron

HOMEMADE IMITATION HONEY: Modified slightly from a recipe of Birgit Kerr she posted here at LCF last year. You boil for 2-3 minutes ¼ c. erythritol (Birgit used xylitol), 1 tsp. honey, 2 T. imitation honey and 1 pkt. stevia or Splenda (Birgit used SweetOne). Cool and put in airtight jar. If it crystalizes over time (mine did), soften in microwave on defrost a minute or two before using.

I look forward to any variations you other cooks come up with for this dough.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-15-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I also made a batch of these the other day out of dried cherry blend from Sam's (has real sugar in it, so only hubby gets to eat those) and those came out nice, too. In fact, they were better than the non-sugar prune version, to be honest. Topped them with some dessicated coconut:

The counts weren't as bad as I expected for these, however: 90.5 calories, 7.97 fat, 3.69 carbs, 1.78 fiber, 1.85 NC, 2.23 protein Not too, too, bad for a sugar based fruit product.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if I dare try a chocolate cookie with this dough or not. I have NOT had much luck with LC chocolate desserts to date. It's hard to get the chocolate/cocoa just right without being bitter; hard to get the sweetness just right. But it'll be some time before I bake anymore, as I now have enough of these cookies in my freezer to have a tea party for all of ya'll! Come on down!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL And I've exhausted almost all my almond flour and will have to reorder. But I'm so pleased to finally have a chewy cookie dough I finally like.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The Pineapple-Pecan and Cherry versions froze well, too! I'm so pleased!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Pam - do you let all recipes with gluc added sit for a few minutes? Does it make that much difference compared to just mixing up and putting right in the oven?
I do if I remember to, LOL. The texture can really change though when the gluc gets hydrated and the batter gets thicker so I always pour or scoop the batter into or onto whatever pan I'm using and them let it set about 3-5 min before putting in the oven. If you let it set in the bowl you mixed it in it can be a little too thick to pour smoothly.

An example is when I make a 1/2 recipe of Chicken Lady's cornbread. I put my skillet on a burner with lard or bacon grease to get really hot. Then I mix everything up and I add the gluc to the dry ingredients before adding the liquid stuff. I then pour it into the hot skillet, move it off the burner and let it set for about 5 min. then pop into oven.

Last edited by PaminKY; 07-16-2012 at 08:36 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Great pics!! Ya'll got me drooling here again.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I now have a large 9x13 Tupperware cake container in the freezer full of these cookies for hubby to munch on instead of Juijy Fruits and Good and Plenty he's inclined to eat if I DON'T keep plenty of LC baked goodies readily available for him. If I weren't married to such a "sweet tooth", I'd probably rarely bake, as I just don't have a very big sweet tooth.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pspalin
Stats: 6/18/2011 R1P1D43 -38.2/ reload 8/18&19 R2P2
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 09/06/2008(atkins) 07/18/2011(hhcg)
is there anything I can substitute for the honey? I have everything else...and can't find sugar free honey where I live. Thanks
pspalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I would melt 1 1/2 tbsp of eryrhritol or xylitol in 1/4 cup of water and use that instead of the honey.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You could try what Gina recommended above and it might work. But I think it's the little bit of real honey that makes these soft and chewy and yours might cook up dry changing that key ingredient. Remember, sugar does more for baked goods than merely sweeten them. It greatly influences final product texture, bulk and rise as well.

Just sayin' you might be disappointed. But if you're determined to sub for the imitation honey, I would strongly suggest making only a half recipe to "test those waters" so if you meet with failure, you won't have lost as many costly ingredients.

Let us know how that comes out if you decide to try it. I'd be curious to know if yours come out chew with a sub for the honey.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made these cookies again yesterday, this time as blueberry, sorta. I forgot how good this basic cookie dough is and how versatile. Here's yesterday's version:

My only gripe: not quite enough blueberry taste for me, so next time I'll likely increase berries, toss in erythritol to prevent blue-ing up the dough and mix them right into the dough gently (although that may not be so cute visually).
Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Just looked at all the different versions that you've made with this recipe Peggy, these blueberry cookies are the ones that wish I could reach through the screen and grab one! Lol

I just may have to try these tomorrow with the pineapple, I've got some I can throw in!!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, the pineapple ones were REALLY my favs, Gina. But I like pineapple in EVERYTHING.....much more than coconut, for sure.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

I love pineapple too Peggy, but don't really bake with it very often. I'm sure I could cut it up into tiny bits for these cookies and it wouldn't amount to too much pineapple. Your cookies sure are calling my name!

Blueberry anything is always a favorite of mine though! I've been wanting to make a blueberry crumb cake. I might have to do some experimenting soon!

I will post back with my results of your cookies after I make them.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post

I made some delicious pineapple cookies this afternoon. They came out kind of chewy and are still like that after they cooled off. I got this base batter idea from the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the Honeyville Farms Blanched Almond flour bag. I made some drastic changes to their basic dough, however. They used all almond flour in their recipe and I’ve added some ingredients I find improve baked goods a bit. I’m very pleased with the chewy texture of these and will likely use this cookie dough for many variations in the future. These freeze well and are even chewier eaten right out of the freezer!! These are not suitable until the advanced fruits rung of the Atkins OWL ladder, or near Pre-Maintenance.

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
½ c. coconut flour
1 T. oat fiber
1/8 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
2 T. almond butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ tsp. pineapple extract (I used Superior Products brand)
½ c. granular Splenda
1 T. erythritol
1 egg, beaten
½ c. juice pack crushed pineapple (water pack if available), drained well
½ c. chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Measure out all wet ingredients including the pineapple into a large mixing bowl. Beat well with a fork until smooth. Measure out all dry ingredients, including the nuts, on top of the wet and stir well to blend. The dough will be moderately stiff. Roll into 1″ balls and place them onto parchment lined baking sheet. Press balls down slightly flat and try to leave 1″ between cookies. Pop pan into preheated oven. Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Do not overbrown these cookies or texture will be drier and less chewy. Remove from oven and cool completely on the pan before attempting to remove with a spatula. These are delicate while hot but “firm up” nicely when they cool. Store in an airtight container. I store mine in the freezer and eat them without even defrosting!

110.4 calories
9.79 g fat
4.55 g carbs, 2.07 g fiber, 2.48 g NET CARBS
2.55 g protein
45 mg sodium
23.2 mg potassium
9% RDA Vitamin E, 8% copper, 8% manganese

HOMEMADE IMITATION HONEY: Modified slightly from a recipe of Birgit Kerr posted here on LCF some time ago. You boil for 2-3 minutes ¼ c. erythritol (her recipe used xylitol), 1 tsp. honey, 2 T. imitation honey and 1 pkt. stevia or Splenda (Birgit used SweetOne). Cool and put in airtight jar. If it crystalizes eventually (mine did), soften in microwave on defrost a minute or so before using.
Peggy, I posted in this thread before but I don't ever remember seeing these pineapple cookies, but man, do they ever look good!! I am copying the recipe and will definitely be making them! All the other versions look good too, but the pineapple are calling my name!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stay tuned, I add new ones to this thread as I bake them. I just love this basic cookie dough.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Peggy,
They look wonderful! What kind of prune did you use?

Georgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I then made some with 5 dried prunes (chopped) and ¼ tsp. cinnamon and those were great, too. Here's what those looked like:

I ended up with 30 cookies that time@ 99 calories each, 8.5g fat, 4.49g C, 1.97g fiber, 2.52 NC and 2.4g protein. Prunes are pretty carb-y, so I didn't dare put more in these. I didn't think to put some chopped pecans, but will maybe do that next baking as well. Reminded me of my Grandma's Christmas prune cookies. They are REALLY moist, cake-like, yet chewy. they remind me of the texture of Little Debbie Oatmeal cookies. In fact, I bet some rolled oats thrown in these along with the prunes and nuts would make a GREAT cookie!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
OH MY!

Thanks for this recipe. Waiting on my order of almond flour. Found the Honeyville on Amazon with free shipping if you have Prime.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Georgene, I use the dried prunes with no added sugar. Can't remember the brand, but Ii think Del Monte? Sams also carries a brand called Daily Chef that has no added sugar. They're pretty carb-y, but less than raisins. But if you snip them into small pieces, a few goes a long ways in a recipe.

Funny this thread should get bumped this week. I pulled it out just this morning to see if I can come up with a gingerbread-like version, and perhaps an oatmeal version. Not really eating desserts myself right now, but hubby wants something sweet in the house, so I thought I'd experiment some more with cookies for my website holiday offerings.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #56
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Buttoni, Do you think this dough is firm enough to use in a cookie Press?

I'm trying to find good Low cArb cookie recipes for my mom who is excited to have a new electric cookie press. and for me and my old fashioned press as well.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This dough is pretty firm, and a tad on the oily side, so the press should reliease the dough nicely, I think. I haven't used a cookie press in eons, but I do think this dough will work with one.

I just made a new cookie recipe with this dough: CURRANT SPICE COOKIES.

These will be great for Christmas! I used the Almond Butter Cookies basic dough, added a splash of cider vinegar, blackstrap molasses and some spices and pressed a pecan half into each cookie. They came out simply delicious! Although similar to gingerbread cookies, the allspice makes these a little different in flavor. My husband is quite fond of these and has eaten 3-4 already this afternoon!

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
½ c. coconut flour
1 T. oat fiber
1 tsp. glucomannan powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. each allspice, nutmeg and cloves
½ tsp. ginger
1/16 tsp. cinnamon
liquid sweetener to equal 1/2 c. sugar
1 T. erythritol
1 large egg, beaten
2 T. almond butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cider vinegar
¼ c. imitation honey
2 T. Blackstrap molasses
½ c. your favorite oil or softened butter
2 T. dried currants
24 pecan halves

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. In a large mixing bowl stir the almond butter and oil together until smooth. Beat in the egg, vanilla and imitation honey. Add the dried currants and stir. Measure in all dry ingredients on top and stir well to form a smooth dough. If your dough seems very dry or stiff (coconut flours vary), add in ½ beaten egg. Roll dough into 1″ balls and place them onto parchment lined baking sheet. Dough is somewhat oily. Leave 1″ space between cookies. Press balls down to ¼” thick cookies with your fingers or the bottom of a glass. Press 1 pecan half into each cookie center. Pop pan into preheated oven. Top with pecan halves and press slightly into the cookie. Bake at 350º for about 7 minutes. Do not over brown these cookies or texture will be drier and less chewy. Remove from oven and cool completely on the pan before removing with a spatula. These are delicate while hot but “firm up” nicely when they cool. Store in an airtight container. These freeze nicely, too!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 24 cookies (I made them a bit bigger this time and didn't get as many as I usually do), each contains:

133 calories
11.6 g fat
5.97 g carbs, 2.17 g fiber, 3.80 g NET CARBS
2.95 g protein
54 mg sodium
46 mg potassium
7% RDA Vitamin E, 10% iron and 7.5% manganese

Last edited by buttoni; 12-13-2013 at 01:36 PM..
Old 12-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That's a cool gingerbread man.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nigel, I found that little guy in a bin of dog toys at my local Dollar Store several years back. My dog never got to play with him, obviously, but I've used him for a variety of Christmas decoration purposes over the years.

Last edited by buttoni; 12-13-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Old 12-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
What about macadamia nut??
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote