Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
at_last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 232
Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Fried Yellow Squash

Don't know if anyone else is familiar with this side dish, but I grew up eating diced yellow (and sometimes a little zucchini) squash dredged in half flour/half cornmeal and fried in grease til crispy. Yum!

Well, tonight I subbed ground pork rinds for the flour/cornmeal. Added a little pepper and fried in a little canola oil. Very close to the original! thought I would never get to have that again!

The pork rinds did tend to burn - I had to watch it closely. But still, I'm very happy!
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 893
Gallery: Ann Lytle
I have fried squash, but never this way, sounds very good. Will give it a try soon.............Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Barbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ca. San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 4,029
Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
My mom was from the south and she did that method

She used the same cornmeal/flour combo. She did saute a bit
of red onion, the took it out and fried her squash, at last minute
she edthe saute of red onion. It was the only way I liked
squash. I appreciate your recipe with the pork rinds.
I think she might have used bacon fat to fry with.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
at_last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 232
Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Yes, I'm also from the south. Actually, more like Ozark Hillbilly. lol!

Onion sounds good in it. I'll have to try that.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,680
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
wow. sounds terribly good. I bet it would benefit from melted cheese too! LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
the condiment queen
 
pooticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,435
Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Yep. So good! I now make oven fried yellow squash and zucchini all the time. Even oven fried okra. For some reason, deep frying gives me an upset tummy. I use a combo of pork rinds, parmesan and a spoon of coconut flour along with some baking powder and spices. I will either spray them with olive oil then dredge or else I will dip in egg white then dredge and spray with olive oil.

So yummy!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Barbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ca. San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 4,029
Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Nice to see you Pooti

How are you feeling these days?
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PghPALady1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PITTSBURGH PA
Posts: 4,477
Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_last View Post
Don't know if anyone else is familiar with this side dish, but I grew up eating diced yellow (and sometimes a little zucchini) squash dredged in half flour/half cornmeal and fried in grease til crispy. Yum!

Well, tonight I subbed ground pork rinds for the flour/cornmeal. Added a little pepper and fried in a little canola oil. Very close to the original! thought I would never get to have that again!

The pork rinds did tend to burn - I had to watch it closely. But still, I'm very happy!
I love squash! This sounds great, just please do not use canola oil, especially to fry with!
PghPALady1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,507
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Yep. So good! I now make oven fried yellow squash and zucchini all the time. Even oven fried okra. For some reason, deep frying gives me an upset tummy. I use a combo of pork rinds, parmesan and a spoon of coconut flour along with some baking powder and spices. I will either spray them with olive oil then dredge or else I will dip in egg white then dredge and spray with olive oil.

So yummy!
Hey there gal,
good to see you here. Do you like the ones with the egg white or just the olive oil better? I'm trying to figure out which ones would be more crunchy? I'm supposed to give up fried foods too...tough call, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
the condiment queen
 
pooticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,435
Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I'm making some tonight with olive oil and will let you know Nigel!

Thanks Barbo! I'm doing better, a little at a time! It's still slow going though. How are you?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
buttoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 4,168
Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I oven fry mine, too, coated in homemade mayo, crushed pork rinds and seasoning:
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,507
Gallery: Nigel
Mmmm...those look great Peggy!! I always forget about using mayo...thanks for the reminder.

I'm making some tonight with mayo and parmesan and maybe a bit of almond flour...wish me luck.

I've got more squash for when pooti lets me know about the olive oil or egg white mix.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
buttoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 4,168
Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
They WERE great, Nigel. As I recollect, the time I made these, I was scarfing them down before the platter even got to the dining room table! Hubby was out of town and he didn't even get any. LOL
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
the condiment queen
 
pooticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,435
Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Nigel, I made the okra the other night and definitely prefer it with the egg white wash as opposed to only the olive oil spray.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,507
Gallery: Nigel
Thanks, Pooti...I was thinking the egg white would be the best choice, but I needed your opinion.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,352
Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Nigel, I made the okra the other night and definitely prefer it with the egg white wash as opposed to only the olive oil spray.
Interesting...I made something the other day (can't remember what it was though) and where I usually just bread with seasoned pork rind flour and fry that time I used an egg wash and I found it wasn't as crispy as the ones I made without the egg wash.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
the condiment queen
 
pooticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,435
Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
LOL, Pam, I know right? The last time I made em I used a rack for the tomatoes and this time I didn't. I don't know if my ratio was different or what cuz this time, both the okra and the green tomatoes stayed soft and didn't crisp. Maybe I didn't cook them long enough?

I only use egg white in the egg wash. I sometimes think the yolk can make breading tough? Now I'm more confused than ever! Ha!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
socaligirl714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern CAli
Posts: 361
Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I oven fry mine, too, coated in homemade mayo, crushed pork rinds and seasoning:
how did you make these?? i love fried zuchinni...
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
cfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,090
Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I am a country girl too, and I have been using flax meal to fry up okra and squash all summer. I fry it in olive oil right next to everybody else's cornmeal mixture veggies.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
buttoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 4,168
Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaligirl714 View Post
how did you make these?? i love fried zuchinni...
OVEN-FRIED SUMMER SQUASH

This dish is super easy and super good! No standing over a skillet of hot grease either! So good, it was impossible to refrain from having a second serving! I had zucchini, yellow and calaba squash in the refrigerator but decided to use the calaba today. Calaba and zucchini are in the same family of vegetables and very similar in appearance and flavor. However calaba has less water in it and is usually much cheaper. I debated whether to parboil the calaba squash slices for a minute or two for this but decided against doing so. It got fully done in the 20 minutes just fine. The pork rinds make it crunchy on the outside, but it is soft and moist on the inside. I use Randolphs pork rinds, which are not quite as salty as most brands, as I am very sodium sensitive. I find them at my local Walmart. This dish is Induction friendly.

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz. zucchini, calaba (its cousin) or yellow squash
2 oz. pork rinds, plain, finely crushed
1/3 tsp. my seafood spice blend
6 T. my homemade mayo

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 450º. Crush rinds and add spice blend on a paper plate or saucer and mix well. Dip out mayo onto another paper plate or saucer. Cut stems and bottom tip off squash and cut into ¼” slices lengthwise. Holding the very tip of each piece with one hand, with a basting brush in your other hand, baste both sides of the squash slices with a coating of mayo. Set brush down and with your now free hand, sprinkle rinds on both sides of the squash and then place on a non-stick sheet pan. Repeat for each piece. I’ll tell ya up front, if you just dip these babies down into the rinds (more will stick on) you ARE going to run out of rinds before you’ve coated all the squash. Been there; done that; So trust me on this one…….just sprinkle it onto each side, letting the excess fall back into the plate and you should have enough for the entire batch. Pop into a 450º oven for 20 minutes or until nice and brown. No need to turn during baking as the bottoms get nicely browned where they touch the pan.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

245.3 calories
21.3 g fat
4.18 g carbs, 1.25 g fiber, 2.93 g NET CARBS
10.8 g protein
250 mg. sodium
45% RDA Vitamin B12, 25% B6, 21% E, 27% C, 20% phosphorous, 50% riboflavin, 55% selenium, 18% zinc, 18% copper, 23% iron, 10% magnesium, 13% manganese
__________________
Peggy
My recipe website: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
socaligirl714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern CAli
Posts: 361
Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
OVEN-FRIED SUMMER SQUASH

This dish is super easy and super good! No standing over a skillet of hot grease either! So good, it was impossible to refrain from having a second serving! I had zucchini, yellow and calaba squash in the refrigerator but decided to use the calaba today. Calaba and zucchini are in the same family of vegetables and very similar in appearance and flavor. However calaba has less water in it and is usually much cheaper. I debated whether to parboil the calaba squash slices for a minute or two for this but decided against doing so. It got fully done in the 20 minutes just fine. The pork rinds make it crunchy on the outside, but it is soft and moist on the inside. I use Randolphs pork rinds, which are not quite as salty as most brands, as I am very sodium sensitive. I find them at my local Walmart. This dish is Induction friendly.

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz. zucchini, calaba (its cousin) or yellow squash
2 oz. pork rinds, plain, finely crushed
1/3 tsp. my seafood spice blend
6 T. my homemade mayo

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 450º. Crush rinds and add spice blend on a paper plate or saucer and mix well. Dip out mayo onto another paper plate or saucer. Cut stems and bottom tip off squash and cut into ¼” slices lengthwise. Holding the very tip of each piece with one hand, with a basting brush in your other hand, baste both sides of the squash slices with a coating of mayo. Set brush down and with your now free hand, sprinkle rinds on both sides of the squash and then place on a non-stick sheet pan. Repeat for each piece. I’ll tell ya up front, if you just dip these babies down into the rinds (more will stick on) you ARE going to run out of rinds before you’ve coated all the squash. Been there; done that; So trust me on this one…….just sprinkle it onto each side, letting the excess fall back into the plate and you should have enough for the entire batch. Pop into a 450º oven for 20 minutes or until nice and brown. No need to turn during baking as the bottoms get nicely browned where they touch the pan.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

245.3 calories
21.3 g fat
4.18 g carbs, 1.25 g fiber, 2.93 g NET CARBS
10.8 g protein
250 mg. sodium
45% RDA Vitamin B12, 25% B6, 21% E, 27% C, 20% phosphorous, 50% riboflavin, 55% selenium, 18% zinc, 18% copper, 23% iron, 10% magnesium, 13% manganese
thanks mayo to coat? i haven't heard of that but i will def try it... I tried making some with a egg white coat and it didnt stick so well... i dont have a food processor so i just put chicharonies in a bag and smashed the best i could.. thanks will def try with mayo my husband (who supposedly hates squash) loved them lol
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
the condiment queen
 
pooticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 21,435
Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaligirl714 View Post
thanks mayo to coat? i haven't heard of that but i will def try it... I tried making some with a egg white coat and it didnt stick so well... i dont have a food processor so i just put chicharonies in a bag and smashed the best i could.. thanks will def try with mayo my husband (who supposedly hates squash) loved them lol
SoCali - sorry the egg whites didn't work. You do have to have somethign that really pulverized the pork rinds into fine breadcrumb consistency. Then you have to press them on and sometimes I double bread it to get it to cooperate!

Peggy's recipe looks fabulous and I surely am gonna try it!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 68
Gallery: mod9032
We like to saute yellow squash in nothing but butter....quick and yummy
mod9032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.