Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alajane
Start Date: February 2010
Homemade Mayo

Anyone make their own mayonnaise? I'm thinking I'll try it but don't want to go to the store, so I wondered if plain vegetable oil could be used? I saw someone make it on Food Network last week and she didn't mention using a specific type of oil, so I'm guessing I can do this.

By the way, I'm back after a LONG absence and, of course, a gain!! I started back on low-carb Monday--and also back to reading this website. Visiting here regularly is certainly a big help to staying on plan--thanks so much to the creators of this site!

Jane
Alajane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Welcome back, Jane!

Vegetable oil is not healthy. I suggest using virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil.

It has been a long time since I made my own mayo but I am going to start again and am looking for a good recipe.

It is really very easy to make mayo & it is so much healthier than what can be found in stores.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/127/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
I agree with DiamondDeb on the oil. I make mayo every few days. I usually use walnut or almond oil. I find the olive oil overpowering and makes the mayo bitter for my taste. Here how I make it:
  1. 2-3 egg yolks
  2. 1 Tbs prepared mustard
  3. 1 Tbs lemon juice
  4. salt to taste
  5. walnut or almond oil (about 1 cup or little more)

Make sure everything is at room temperature. In the food processor mix first 4ingr. Then with the proccesor running very slowly pour in the oil till the mayo becomes very thick. That's all. You may need to adjust the lemon or salt if needed.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses--looks like I need to wait until I go to a larger store than my local one--would never find unusual oils here!!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GreytMuse
Stats: 205.5/150/150 (5'5" - 49 yo!)
WOE: Atkins Induction (low carb+low calorie)
Start Date: May 14, 2012
We love our mayo -- and we love the fact we can control the ingredients.

1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted if solid)
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine the eggs, mustard, lemon juice, salt and white pepper in your blender or food processor. Then with the blender or food processor running on a low speed, start adding your oils very slowly. Start out with drops and then work up to about a 1/16 inch stream. It takes a good 5 minutes to accomplish this, but the end result is worth it! Continue blending until all the oil is incorporated.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups. Please in your refrigerator to thicken. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. You can add 1 Tablespoon of whey to preserve it for about a month and provide those good fermenting nutrients.

(Found at 'passionatehomemaker' website)

205------------------150

Why the Scales Can Lie! --> a MUST read originally posted by clackley! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...l#post15713818
GreytMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I make my own, at least sometimes I make a smaller amount because I'm single and I can't eat a big batch fast enough.

I put about a teaspoon of dijon mustard in the bottom of a mixing bowl, add an egg yolk, add a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice (or lime juice, or vinegar), add a pinch of salt, and whisk it up. Then start drizzling in your oil, just few drops at a time, whisking like mad the whole time. As it starts to thicken up, you can add the oil in a thin stream. Whisk, whisk, whisk! One egg yolk will thicken about 1 cup + of oil. When it's as thick as you want and glossy, taste it to see if it needs more salt or lemon juice.

I have used a variety of oils to make mayo. Currently I use extra light olive oil because it's very light-tasting but it's still olive oil. Extra-virgin is very strong tasting, and doesn't make a mayo that I like. Coconut oil means that the mayo is very stiff when it comes out of the fridge. Same for bacon grease. (both options taste good, though!) Almond oil would probably work well -- I haven't tried it. I know walnut oil tastes delicious, but isn't it really expensive? I'd probably use it as a flavoring along with another mild oil.

Basically, for mayo I want a mild-flavored oil that's liquid at room temperature.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and make the mayo with the oil you have on hand - it's not poison. You can buy different "healthier" oils next time you go to the store.

leeloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Wow, I didn't realize how easy it is to make mayo. Now maybe if I enlist the help of the boy he would try it. I am going to try it and report back. Thanks all!
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Extra light olive oil makes a lighter tasting mayo. I have also read that whey drained off of yogurt will make it last much longer.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
No matter what ingredients you use, the easiest method for making your mayo is if you have a stick blender. I put everything in a tall cup, then turn on the blender, lowering it to the bottom slowly, then coming right back up. That should do it!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
My best result at home was with avocado oil, but I still found the process to be a pain in the butt so I just end up using sour cream for everything instead.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #11

I'm Googling to find recipes & ideas on the best oils (I used light olive oil in the past) to use & found this:

Quote:
Grapeseed Oil: polyunsaturated oil with a neutral flavor. Highly stable for high heats. One tablespoon has 3.92 mgs vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol). Grapeseed oil’s phytosterols levels (plant sterols that help lower cholesterol levels) are just below those of olive oil. Because of its neutral flavor, it’s perfect for mayonnaise. One of the troubles with a polyunsaturated fats is that they tend to get rancid when subjected to heat. Grapseed oil is an exception to that rule, however, still, being an omega-6, grapseed oil can contribute to raising your inflammation index. When creating a mayo using Grapeseed oil, you want to use at least half a cup of omega-3s to balance the omega-6/omega-3 ratio.

Safflower, corn, sunflower, soybean, cottonseed and canola oils should never be used in your mayonnaise. They are highly polyunsaturated, omega-6s that go rancid quickly (many are rancid by the time you buy them, but cannot smell the rancidity because they’ve been perfumed), and increase your inflammation index. Canola, once pushed off on us by health nuts, has its own problems; once deodorized it begins to turn into a trans fat, and recent research shows that canola oil creates a deficiency of vitamin e and that it can cause heart lesions.

Peanut oil and Sesame seed oil are quite flavorful oils high in oleic acid (monounsaturated fatty acid) still with considerable omega-6s (peanut oil having slightly less than sesame oil, 34% vs 43%). Both are relatively stable, but again you want to balance out the omega-6s with omega-3s in your mayonnaise.

Olive oil is the heart healthy, cancer avoiding oil of the Mediterranean diet. Breast cancer rates are much lower in the Middle East where most recipes call for anywhere from a cup of olive oil to a swimming pool of olive oil. The only problem with a mayonnaise made with olive oil is that its strong flavor can be overpowering. If used, you should consider using it half and half with peanut oil or sesame seed oil, and then balance that all with some omega-3s.

Palm oil is an amazing oil that is 50% saturated with 41% oleic acid, and some omega-3s. Palm oil has been described as half olive oil and half vitamin E/vitamin A oil. It’s charged with antioxidants, but if you make a mayonnaise using mostly palm oil, when you refrigerate it, it will solidify. Palm oil also has an overpowering flavor and its color is bright orange. If you are going to use palm oil in your mayonnaise, use a very small amount. If you can find some clarified palm oil, you’ll notice that it is tasteless and quite saturated and must be melted first to use in your mayonnaise, however, its vitamin content doesn’t even approach the stronger tasting original palm oil

Coconut oil is a saturated fat with over two-thirds of that in the form of a medium-chain fatty acid, with considerable lauric acid, something found in mother’s milk that is antifungal and antimicrobial. We’ve written a lot about coconut oil previously (just click the link to see the original article), and if you are going to add this to your mayonnaise, it must first be melted, and it is suggested to use very little again, as it causes your mayo to harden up in the fridge and melt quickly (liquefy) when used.

Flax oil, chia oil, hempseed oil, and Udo’s DHA Blend are your omega-3s. Flax is 9% saturated fat, 18% oleic acid, 16% omega-6, and 57% omega-3. These oils are perfect for balancing out the omega-6s in your life and in your mayo. The only oil I avoid using is hempseed oil, since our paranoid government has manufacturers denature the seeds so they cannot be sewn, and how they denature the seeds is not widely known, and personally, I don’t trust the process one bit.
My search also revealed that Dr. Mercola uses Grapeseed oil when he makes his own mayo!

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 07-07-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #12

Here is a video how-to using coconut oil & olive oil.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #13

I was reading that vinegar is a good ingredient usually found in mayo that helps keep it from going bad. Here is a recipe that uses it & also grape-seed oil.

Quote:
Making Homemade Mayonnaise
By Amy Best

I love this recipe, as it is super healthy, tastes yummy, is quick and easy to make, and is a fun thing to do with my daughter.

Equipment:

You will need a stick blender. I bought this blender in order to make my mayo, but have found it to be a great kitchen tool for many other things. I can puree my tomato soup right in the pot, and have found it to be very useful in pureeing things for my baby as well. It is super easy to clean, which is a big plus for me!

Ingredients:
  • 2-4 egg yolks (I use farm fresh eggs from my local farmer)
  • ½ tsp. mustard
  • 1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice (of course fresh is optimal... )
  • 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. celtic sea salt
  • ¾ c. oil- hemp or grapeseed (I use grapeseed)
Old 07-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have been using Charski's recipe. I use the stick blender-it is no-fail. I use 2/3 extra light olive oil and 1/3 coconut oil.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...o-scratch.html
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alajane View Post
Thanks for the responses--looks like I need to wait until I go to a larger store than my local one--would never find unusual oils here!!
Not sure if you have a Kroger store where you live. They have a a good selection of unusual oils. Also, just searched on Netrition, and oh my goodness, search under oils. You have to look through them but they have a large selection.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses!! For right now, until I have a chance to get to a larger store, I'm going to try the bacon grease I've been saving--it never occurred to me I could use that! I assume I need to melt it?

Also, I was thrilled to see the info about the stick blender--several years ago I decided I had too much kitchen equipment that was never used and got rid of my food processor and blender! So I was planning to try using a hand mixer, but the stick blender sounds super easy! I hope to get a chance to try this tonight after work.

We don't have a Kroger in this area but a Publix is being built and I can't wait!! Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JEA9
Stats: 262/262/135
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 5/24/14
Too mustardy

I have tried a similar recipe and found that it was a little mustardy for my taste. I know the mustard is needed for the emulsion to take place. What is the minimum amount of mustard that is needed. Does anyone else feel the same way?
JEA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

That's a good question--I'm not a fan of mustard, either!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's a good question--I'm not a fan of mustard, either!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEA9 View Post
I have tried a similar recipe and found that it was a little mustardy for my taste. I know the mustard is needed for the emulsion to take place. What is the minimum amount of mustard that is needed. Does anyone else feel the same way?
You can make it without mustard, it's just harder to get it to emulsify. But if you use the stick blender method you should have no problem - it really is no-fail .
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

How exciting! I tried it and it worked amazingly well! So glad I read about the stick blender method before trying this. The taste wasn't great because I used what I had at home--about 3/4 bacon drippings and 1/4 vegetable oil. I didn't expect great taste but just wanted to try out the process. I can't wait to get some different oils and try again!

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions--it was a really fun experiment!

Jane
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How exciting! I tried it and it worked amazingly well! So glad I read about the stick blender method before trying this. The taste wasn't great because I used what I had at home--about 3/4 bacon drippings and 1/4 vegetable oil. I didn't expect great taste but just wanted to try out the process. I can't wait to get some different oils and try again!

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions--it was a really fun experiment!

Jane
Yay! It's amazing how easy it is, right? Next time use a good-tasting oil and fresh lemon juice - it will be delicious!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I'm not a fan of 'flavored' mayo so this recipe makes a more neutral tasting mayo and the mustard is NOT overpowering:

1 C. light olive oil
1 whole egg
1 1/2 TB lemon juice (fresh or reconstituted)
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp sugar equivalent (optional)

Mix 1/4 cup of the oil with the remaining ingredients in a food processor. With the machine running, add the remaining oil in a VERY slow stream until the mayo begins to firm up. Stop machine to check thickness if desired and additionally process if desired. Keeps approx 1 week.

Once you make this, you'll get a feel for when it comes together. Also, I use the white 'pusher' that fits in the feeder sleeve with the teeny hole in it to add the oil...drip by drip and it works perfectly.

I've tried lots of recipes and (for me) this is by far the easiest and the tastiest mayo I've made.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #23

I found Grapeseed Oil at WM today! I wasn't expecting to but there it was! A big bottle for only $3 and change. I hope it makes good mayo!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I found Grapeseed Oil at WM today! I wasn't expecting to but there it was! A big bottle for only $3 and change. I hope it makes good mayo!
Grapeseed oil makes great-tasting mayo
Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
I like to keep it simple, just one large egg yolk.

1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup olive oil

I whisk together the yolk, salt and water then drizzle in the oil very slowly while whisking.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote