Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
Favorite recipes using Almond Meal...please?

Years ago when I was low carbing, you had to grind your own almond meal. Not only was it expensive, but it was a big old pain. Now, I am finding it preground in stores everywhere including Trader Joe's. Yippee!

I just made George Stella's Raspberry Scones and they are really really good. I will be making them often and taking them to work to have in the morning with coffee.

Are there any other great and EASY almond flour recipes that I am missing?
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
george stellas raspberry or blueberry scones.
Linda sues pound cake
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I always buy my almond meal at TJ's too. I know its not as good as the actual "flour" but it works for me since I try to stay away from too much LC baking. I love making almond thins and the scones were great too! I havent tried the pound cake but have been meaning too. The chocolate chip cookie bars were delish, I made them over the weekend. Ive also been thinking about trying ChickenLady's cornbread with it!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I haven't made almond thins for years. I need to make those again.

I agree, that I can't bake too much or I will get in trouble. In fact, when I make the scones, I'm going to keep them in the freezer at work, so I can't pig out on them at home in the evening...which I know I will do.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernNisse View Post
Oh, I haven't made almond thins for years. I need to make those again.
I agree, that I can't bake too much or I will get in trouble. In fact, when I make the scones, I'm going to keep them in the freezer at work, so I can't pig out on them at home in the evening...which I know I will do.
I know! All the crab dip talk reminded me about them so I made a batch. I really have to watch myself with those too though.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I eat most dips with a cucumber slice or a mushroom, because I can't be trusted with the Almond Thins.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Here's what I make for sandwich buns. You can leave out the flaxmeal and make it all almond meal, which is what the original recipe called for. They were Lauren's Fluffy Biscuits and the recipe made four. I really like my version for sandwich buns and get 5, each one getting split in two and toasted a little. You can also use 1 teaspoon of baking powder and leave out the glucomannan.

Sandwich Buns

¾ cup almond flour
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons flaxmeal
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon glucomannan
1 ½ tablespoons cold butter
4 egg whites

In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, flaxmeal, salt, baking powder, and glucomannan with a fork. Cut in the butter using the fork until the butter is all incorporated and the mixture is crumbly and not dry. Chill this mixture for at least 5 minutes or longer to get the fat as cold as possible.

In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with the fork until they look foamy. Add the egg whites to the almond flour mixture and whisk together with the fork just to break up any large chunks of flour. The batter will be thin and lumpy. Divide this into five portions in a muffin top pan lined with nonstick foil. Bake immediately so the fat doesn’t start to get warm. Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 5 buns
Can be frozen
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
I have been making raw cookie dough with it. So yummy. I will post recipe if it is something you would be interested in.
jandjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
I got this from an Atkins forum a while ago. They are easy to make.

*Almond Cookies*
Makes 6 cookies

10 Tbsp (60g) almond flour, very finely ground
Pinch salt
Pinch baking soda
2 Tbsp Splenda granular
2.5 Tbsp (36g) butter

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and set aside.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and add melted butter mixing well with a spatula.

Roll in little balls and slightly flatten.

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
The Chicken Lady's Almond Fudge Cake and Carrot Cake are to die for!

Almond Flour Fudge Cake

Cake:
4 cups almond flour – scooped –16 ounces
2 cups Splenda (liquid equivalent or granular)
1/2 cup Erythritol – granular
4 packets Stevia Plus
1/2 cup cocoa - I like the Hershey's Special Dark
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2-teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons vanilla
1/3-cup oil
4 eggs
1-cup sour cream

Frosting:
1/2-cup butter – 1 stick – room temp
1 large egg – room temp
1/3 cup granular Erythritol – powdered – I use my coffee bean grinder
1/3 cup Splenda
2 packets Stevia Plus
8 ounces cream cheese – room temp
1 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and stir well.

Beat the eggs with the oil and the vanilla…add to the dry ingredients along with the sour cream and mix well. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean and cake is firm to the touch. Do not over cook…cake should still be moist.

Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

To Make Frosting:
Beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add sweeteners and beat well scraping sides of bowl as needed.

Add the egg and beat until very fluffy…beat in vanilla.

Add softened cream cheese a little bit at a time beating until fluffy after each addition.

Frost cake...store in frig.

Carrot Cake

Cake:
4 cups almond flour – scooped
2 cups sugar free sweetener – (I use 1-1/2 cups Splenda & 1/2 cup Erythritol)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2-teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2-teaspoon ground ginger
1/4-teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoons vanilla
1/4-cup oil
4 eggs
1/2-cup sour cream
1/2 pound frozen carrots – thawed – finely chopped
1 cup chopped pecans

Frosting:
1/4-cup butter – softened
8 ounces cream cheese – softened
1 teaspoons vanilla
Sweetener to taste

Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and stir well.

Beat the eggs with the oil and the vanilla…add to the dry ingredients along with the sour cream and mix well. Stir in carrots and pecans. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and cake is firm to the touch.

Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

To Make Frosting:
Combine ingredients and beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Sweeten to taste and frost cake.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
This is a favorite.

Chocolate Almond Joy Cake

RECIPE

4 eggs (I use 3 and a tad more coconut milk)
¾ cup canned coconut milk
2 teaspoons almond extract
¾ cup coconut palm sugar (I use erythritol and splenda)
½ cup blanched almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 bar of 72% chopped dark chocolate

1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and palm sugar with a mixer.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet with a mixer.
4. Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips.
5. Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
6. Pour batter into dish, then sprinkle shredded coconut and remaining chocolate chips on top.
7. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. (Enjoy the smell of toasted coconut wafting through the house!)
8. Cool for 1 hour.
9. Serve

ALMOND FLOUR BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

This recipe can be made with any fresh or frozen berries, and you can add as much as 1 1/2 to 2 cups of berries, if you prefer, though it will change the nutritional counts.

My particular favorite is raspberries, although they are also delicious with the more traditional blueberries. If you are using frozen berries, there is no need to defrost them -- in fact, they hold their shape better during cooking if you add them to the mixture whilst still frozen. You can also add a teaspoon of cinnamon, for variation.

Ingredients:

2 cups almond flour
3 rounded tablespoons Splenda
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Directions:

1. Butter and line 12 large muffin pans with muffin tin liners. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 2. In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. In a larger bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (but not the berries). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not beat). Finally, add the berries and briefly mix again. 3. Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin pans and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden brown and set in the middle. Leave in the pans on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, and then loosen carefully with a knife before turning out to cool completely. Makes 12.

Per serving (one muffin): 8g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 7.25g protein; 24.8g fat; 273 calories

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 07-03-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Trying to add this recipe but using my kindle fire won't let me scroll to the bottom if post.

Simple Nourishing Gingerbread Cookies

Makes about 25 cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutters

Ingredients:

1 and 1/4 cups almond flour
2 tablespoons organic unsalted butter or nonhydrogenated shortening (for dairy-free)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon organic blackstrap molasses
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves (optional)
1/4 teaspoon good-tasting pure stevia extract

Preparation: Preheat oven to 275 (yes, 275) degrees Fahrenheit.

Melt butter and mix with honey, molasses, and vanilla until smooth. Add dry ingredients. Dough will besoftand sticky.Cut out two long pieces of parchment paper. Roll dough to 1/8th of an inch thickness (or thinner) sandwiched in between pieces of parchment paper. Peel off top sheet of parchment and flip dough from bottom sheet to the top sheet so that dough has been peeled off of both sheets of parchment, ensuring that it will be easier to transfer to cookie sheet. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and peel away bits of dough around cut outs, or flip cut outs onto cookie sheet lined with parchment. Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool completelyfor about 10 minutes or so before moving to a work surface. Decorate with piped cream cheese frosting and bits of chopped raisins and dried apricots.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry to keep adding posts, I'm not able to scroll down my posts to add on. I've cut the recipe in half too.

Candice’s Low Carb Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies

Just another peanut butter cookie variation These are made with ground almonds for your flour. My 3 year old son really enjoyed.. in his own words, “They are not TOO peanut buttery!!” He loves the all peanut butter cookies(no type of flours at all) but can always only have 2 bites because of how they are on the dry side from all the peanut butter. Well he ate 3 of these! They definitely have a more mild taste, peanut butter wise, but it’s not a bad thing. I really did enjoy them.

Hope you enjoy!

Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies(42)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup natural peanut butter(sugar free, I use Kirkland organic brand)
1 cup splenda(or sweetener of your choice)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups ground almonds/almond meal/almond flour 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

peanut butter cookies

1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons butter (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup peanut butter (1 cup)
1/2 cup sugar (1 cup)
1 eggs eggs (2 )
1 teaspoon vanilla (2 teaspoons)
1 1/4 cups almond flour (2 1/2 cup)
1/8 teaspoon salt
(1/4 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (1 teaspoons)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375F

In small bowl combine ground almonds, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In mixing bowl add butter and peanut butter. Mix on high with paddle attachment until smooth. Add splenda and mix until fluffy. Scrap bowl down. Add eggs one at a time with mixer running then add vanilla. Scrap down bowl. Last add the almond flour mixture. Mix just until combined.

You can either bake right away or store dough in the refrigerator in airtight container until a little more firm. You can also pre-scoop all the dough and refrigerate or freeze what you do not want to bake right away. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, or nonstick baking liner. Scoop with a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop(#60), if you don’t have one,~ scoop 1 Tablespoon then roll in your hand to make ball(if you are doing this way you will definitely need to let dough firm up a bit in refrigerator). Lightly press down cookie with a fork making a crisscross pattern.

Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes

Nutritional information for 1 cookie:

Energy 104 kcal Carbohydrate, Total 2.46 g Sugars, total 0.70 g Fiber, total dietary 1.06 g Protein 3.44 g Total lipid (fat) 9.39 g

Net carbs: 1.4 g
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I made the Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins I posted above and they were really good!! Great with a cup of coffee in the morning or an afternoon snack.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
ALMOND FLOUR BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

This recipe can be made with any fresh or frozen berries, and you can add as much as 1 1/2 to 2 cups of berries, if you prefer, though it will change the nutritional counts.

My particular favorite is raspberries, although they are also delicious with the more traditional blueberries. If you are using frozen berries, there is no need to defrost them -- in fact, they hold their shape better during cooking if you add them to the mixture whilst still frozen. You can also add a teaspoon of cinnamon, for variation.

Ingredients:

2 cups almond flour
3 rounded tablespoons Splenda
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Directions:

1. Butter and line 12 large muffin pans with muffin tin liners. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 2. In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. In a larger bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (but not the berries). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not beat). Finally, add the berries and briefly mix again. 3. Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin pans and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden brown and set in the middle. Leave in the pans on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, and then loosen carefully with a knife before turning out to cool completely. Makes 12.

Per serving (one muffin): 8g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 7.25g protein; 24.8g fat; 273 calories
Bumping because I tried this recipe yesterday--I'm new to almond flour and just did a board search for blueberry muffins. Unfortunately this was a 'miss' for me. Compared to genaw's 'basic almond flour muffin' recipe, which I'd been using, this was a greasy mess--I guess I should have paused at the full half cup of butter AND full half cup of cream in it. (I have nothing against fat or moistness but your lips literally felt greasy after eating it.) It was also weirdly bland, although that could probably be a blueberry quality problem (I used frozen). I think it needs a reduction in oils/fat and a good pinch of salt, although honestly I will probably continue to use this one instead.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't made the blueberry muffins in a while but I'm sorry that recipe didn't work for you. I may have added more almond flour to the recipe depending how the batter looked. Knowing me, I probably added more sugar and flavoring too.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I never did a lot of baking pre-lowcarb so I don't have very good instincts either way.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/148.0/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
This is an awesome thread! Marking my spot to collect some of these recipes, and to add that the current cheese rounds recipe is one of my absolute favorites.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
I never did a lot of baking pre-lowcarb so I don't have very good instincts either way.

Once you learn how doughs and batters look you will be a pro.

Cake batter is pourable and thin like pancake batter. Muffin batter is thicker than cake batter like the same consistency as a banana bread or pumpkin bread, still pourable but won't pour as fast as cake batter. Cookie dough is scoupable meaning you can scoop it up with a cookie scoop and tip it uspside down and it will not fall off.

I have been baking for many years and I have found that low carb baking isn't really all that different than high carb baking in regards to texture. If it looks thinner than its suppose to be I add more flour, if its thicker than its suppose to be I add more liquid, using whatever flour or liquids you're using in the recipe.

I hope this helps!! Like the old saying goes, "practice makes perfect".
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amypete19
Stats: 214/202/140
WOE: Trying to keep it at 30c
Start Date: March 2011
Ok the hamburger buns may do it!!!! I went to my local trader joes and no almond flour. I did find it at Market Basket. $9.99 for a 1lb. Bag. It's finely ground almond flour bobs red mill.

I'm going to call TJs tomorrow!!!!
Amypete19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

(FWIW: I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality and price of almond flour at my Whole Foods--$5/lb for *blanched*, pretty finely milled, which is less than half of almost anything else I can find (including online) unless going to high bulk. Even Trader Joe's is unblanched/almond meal and much...mealier. Whole Foods also has whole blanched almonds very cheaply (I think it was less than the flour per lbs) and whole golden flax for something crazy like $3/lb....Generally I am pro-Trader Joe's, pro-online shopping, etc, and I hadn't been in "Whole Paycheck" for a while, but they really surprised me so I have to give them props.)

(The above is all in their 'bulk' section; in mine, the almond flour is in big barrels, NOT on the wall displays (with the other bulk flours and seeds.)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amypete19 View Post
Ok the hamburger buns may do it!!!! I went to my local trader joes and no almond flour. I did find it at Market Basket. $9.99 for a 1lb. Bag. It's finely ground almond flour bobs red mill.

I'm going to call TJs tomorrow!!!!

At TJ's it's called Just Meal.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote