Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Love Popsicles? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/776123-love-popsicles.html)

NanaG 06-24-2012 08:56 PM

Love Popsicles?

New to the forum and can't find the discussion about making popsicles that weren't hard as ice. So.....I got to playing around to see if I could come up with an acceptable substitute for my beloved popsicles that are low-carb and not like sucking on a flavored ice cube. Here's what I did:

1/4 cup Dole Mixed Fruit (suppose you could use any frozen fruit). The bag says a 1 cup serving contains 16 carbs, mostly sugar. So...1/4 cup will be 4 carbs. Mix this with 1/4 cup (or maybe a little more) of cold club soda in your blender - the mixture will be very thick. I also added 5 drops of liquid stevia (actually made it too sweet) and 1 packet of Tru Lemon (cause I like tart!).

This made four wonderful popsicles at 1 carb each! Woo-Hoo! I'm a happy grandma. This was my big challenge on the low-carb diet, so I'm very excited to be able to have my treat. Tomorrow I'm going to purchase some cherry flavored soda made with stevia and try that - I'm thinking that the carbonation of the drinks combined with the fruit is what keeps these treats from getting too hard in the freezer.:jumpjoy:

zombiegoat2000 06-25-2012 12:05 AM

SOUNDS :yummy:

NanaG 06-25-2012 10:34 AM

Love Popsicles

Ha Ha - I posted that recipe later in the evening. Left overnight, they are still pretty hard, but soften to a nice eating consistency in just minutes. I was just hoping someone would have something I hadn't thought of. Thanks for your reply, though! Still struggling with navigation on this site but even the "side trips" are interesting and encouraging.

Soobee 06-25-2012 10:40 AM

I currently use Ladeeda's recipe. Very easy and delicious. But I have collected others to try. Here they are.
Red White and Blue Yogurt Pops Carolyn
1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
1/2 cup blueberries, chopped
2 cups Greek yogurt, divided
4 tbs. lemon juice, divided
Preferred sweetener - I used liquid stevia, about 8 - 10 drops per flavor of yogurt.
In a blender or food processor, combine strawberries, half a cup of the yogurt, 1 tbs. lemon juice and sweetener. Blend until smooth. Remove to a bowl or measuring cup. Repeat with the blueberries, half a cup of the yogurt, 1 tbs. lemon juice and sweetener. Mix remaining 1 cup yogurt, 2 tbs. lemon juice and sweetener together until smooth. Divide strawberry mixture among 8 popsicle molds or paper cups. Tap molds firmly on counter to settle mixture to the bottom. Divide plain yogurt mixture among molds or cups and tap firmly. Top with blueberry mixture and tap firmly to even out. Place molds in freezer and chill 1 hour, until just starting to firm up. Add popsicle sticks and freeze until completely firm, at least another 2 to 3 hours.
Mint-Chocolate Fudgsicles Katie
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt of choice, or 1 cup full-fat canned coconut
1/16 to 1/4 tsp. pure peppermint extract or more
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1-3 stevia packets or 1-3 tbsp. sugar or liquid sweetener of choice or more
scant 1/16 tsp. salt
optional: food coloring as desired
optional: handful of chocolate chips or mini chips
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or Pyrex measuring cup. Pour into popsicle molds, or paper cups with spoons as the sticks. Freeze completely, then pop out and enjoy.
Orange Push-Pops Maria Ice Cream Popsicles
1 orange, peeled
4 oz. cream cheese or coconut cream, softened
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
4 TBS SWERVE (to keep it soft) .
1 tsp. stevia glycerite
1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt (to keep it from hardening too much)
Peel the orange and remove the seeds. Place in a blender or food processor and process until a fine puree. Add in the cream cheese, almond milk, sweetener and salt until smooth. Pour mixture into Push Pop molds. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours and serve.
Protein Popsicles Shelly
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor)
Mix yogurt, protein powder, and sugar free syrup together till well blended. You can add chopped fresh fruit just be sure to chop it fine. Fill the popsicle molds.
Put Popsicles in freezer for a few hours.
Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt Pops Dashing Dish
1/2 cup Plain low fat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup Low fat cottage cheese
1 cup Low fat milk, coconut milk, or substitute
3-5 pkt. Stevia or sweetener of choice to taste
1 cup Strawberries, finely chopped
1/2 cup Blueberries, (fresh or frozen and de-thawed)
1 tbs. sugar free cheesecake instant pudding mix Or additional 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
Combine everything, except for berries into a blender. Blend until everything is well combined. Pour frozen yogurt mixture into popsicle molds, stopping when 1/2 full, and add berries. Continue to fill the rest of the mold until almost full. Insert sticks. Freeze 4 hours or more, until popsicles are firm.
Popsicles Ladeeda
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup Monin syrup
Mix ingredients, pour into molds, and freeze.
Fudgy Popsicles Ditch the Wheat
1 ripe Avocado
2 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. of raw honey or preferred sweetener
Mix all the ingredients in a small food processor. Mix until smooth. Taste test for desired chocolate flavor and sweetness. Add more if desired. Spoon the mixture into a popsicle mold. Freeze.

ladeeda 06-25-2012 11:42 AM

I feel famous. ;) My fave creamsicles are make with Monin SF Blackberry or SF Peach.

NanaG 06-25-2012 11:53 AM

YUM!

Oh my gosh, this site is a treasure chest of wonderful ideas and recipes. Thanks to both of you for posting! I'm headed to the kitchen.....can't get through a Texas summer without some good cool stuff!

NanaG 06-25-2012 11:58 AM

Ladeeda, you are not only famous, I'm thinking by this afternoon I'll be willing to worship at your feet and at Soobee's feet as well. There are simply some things in life one shouldn't have to give up in order to lose weight! Thanks ladies!

rosethorns 07-02-2012 07:00 PM

I made some of these , and I can make them dairy free. YAY.
I want to try the avocado one. Yum.

Barbo 07-02-2012 09:53 PM

My favorite is Maria's "Ben and Jerry" creation

Maria's Ben and Jerry Strawberry Cheesecake Pops

Eat this instead:
1 cup strawberries, sliced
4 oz cream cheese or coconut cream, softened
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
4 TBS Swerve (or erythritol and 1 tsp stevia glycerite)

In a bowl, mix cream cheese, almond milk and sweetener until smooth. Slowly stir in slices of strawberries. Pour mixture into Popsicle molds. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours and serve. Makes 4 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving):
Ben and Jerry's = 230 calories, 13g Fat, 3g protein, 27 carbs, 0g fiber
"Healthified" Pops = 112 calories, 10g fat, 2.4g protein, 3.5 carbs, 1g fiber