Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Recipe suggestions for Cubed Steak???

My son just brought home a pack of 6 cube steaks about 4" x 4" and between 1/4 and 1/2" thick. Any suggestions for a way to cook these so they'll be tender and flavorful? They don't have any marbling to speak of. TIA

Gail
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KnotDreams
Cube steaks are generally a round steak that has been tenderized. In order to be tender when they are finished, you will need to use a "low and slow" method like a crock pot or baked in liquid in the oven.
I have used cube steaks to make what we always called Swiss Steak. Shake the meat in a bag with some Carbquick to coat it and then brown in a fry pan in butter. Set the meat aside in your crockpot or a shallow casserole dish, and use the same pan to brown about 1/2 onion (sliced) and a sliced green pepper. Put the browned veggies on top of the meat and then pour over a can of diced tomatoes. Season to taste. I'd cook it in the oven (covered) at 350 degrees for about an hour, or in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours.

Do not attempt to grill cube steaks. They will be dry and tough.

I know that wasn't a very specific recipe, but I hope it is a helpful idea. Good luck.

Karen
KnotDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Mackenzie
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/13/05
We love cubed steak sandwiches.....melt butter in a fry pan and add the cubed steak with onions and cook a few minutes on each side, adding salt and pepper. We eat them on a roll....(not low carb though).....
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tm501
My mom does them on the stove top. She browns them up with some garlic first. Then she adds ketchup (not a whole lot) and water to the pot ( make it look like orange water)and simmers it all for like an hour. Of course she adds in carrots and peeled potatoes (none for me) It really is good this way
tm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
What about Char's Chicken Fried Steak?
Chicken Fried Steak Char
2 big cube steaks
1-2 egg whites
2 tbs. Frank’s hot sauce
CarbQuick
2 tbs. Parmesan cheese
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper
Bacon fat mixed with coconut oil
Put enough CarbQuick in shallow bowl to flour meat
2 tbs. Parmesan cheese
Garlic and onion powder
Black pepper if using
Mix it up really well.
Beat egg whites with the hot sauce. Dunk meat in whites and let excess run off. Press meat down hard on CQ mixture so that it adheres well. Place steaks on plate and let sit for 10 minutes. Fry in hot oil for about one minute on each side, then turn once more for about 30 seconds to take up any blood that may have escaped.
Beef broth
Heavy cream
For gravy, after you've removed the steaks, add some beef stock and bring to a boil to reduce and stir up the browned bits, then add some heavy cream and simmer until thick. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Coots
Stats: 321/250.6/230's?
WOE: Mainly Atkins - My own body way.
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
What about Char's Chicken Fried Steak?
Chicken Fried Steak Char
2 big cube steaks
1-2 egg whites
2 tbs. Frank’s hot sauce
CarbQuick
2 tbs. Parmesan cheese
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper
Bacon fat mixed with coconut oil
Put enough CarbQuick in shallow bowl to flour meat
2 tbs. Parmesan cheese
Garlic and onion powder
Black pepper if using
Mix it up really well.
Beat egg whites with the hot sauce. Dunk meat in whites and let excess run off. Press meat down hard on CQ mixture so that it adheres well. Place steaks on plate and let sit for 10 minutes. Fry in hot oil for about one minute on each side, then turn once more for about 30 seconds to take up any blood that may have escaped.
Beef broth
Heavy cream
For gravy, after you've removed the steaks, add some beef stock and bring to a boil to reduce and stir up the browned bits, then add some heavy cream and simmer until thick. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Umm yummy.
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've saved the recipes for next time. My son wanted the cubed steaks floured and browned and baked with onions and potatoes like I "used to" make. lol I had eggs and enjoyed the smells from their dinner this time. Char's recipe sounds like it might produce a result they'd like so I'll try it next. Question tho, the recipe above that uses ketchup, would tomato sauce work instead? I don't care for the LC ketchup I purchased.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tm501
Quote:
Originally Posted by gello5440 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've saved the recipes for next time. My son wanted the cubed steaks floured and browned and baked with onions and potatoes like I "used to" make. lol I had eggs and enjoyed the smells from their dinner this time. Char's recipe sounds like it might produce a result they'd like so I'll try it next. Question tho, the recipe above that uses ketchup, would tomato sauce work instead? I don't care for the LC ketchup I purchased.
I think it would.
tm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: melstevens
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Jan. 1, 2012/ 12 lbs. lost (so far!)
Coots,
Congratulations on your weight loss success! My son looks to be about your age and he lost 100 lbs., was a struggle for him sometimes, but now his whole life has changed for the better! Keep up the good work!
melstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Hi Gello. I love cube steak. I had it yesterday as a matter of fact. I make a cream sauce for it. Take 2 tbls. butter and melt. Fry up the steak on both sides until browned. I season the steak with onion powder, garlic powder, Caribean Jerk seasoning, and a little pepper. After the steak is browned well, add enough water to cover it, then add about 1 tbls. of beef bullion. Swirl it around in the pan, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. This will tenderize the steak to perfection. Remove cover and let broth reduce about half, then add cream (1/4 to 1/2 cup...I just eye it) let that reduce until sauce thickens and turns dark like the meat. If you need to, you can add a little cornstarch mixed with cold water at the end to thicken more if you like. Plate the steak, then pour the sauce over the steak. It's awesome!!
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks gladee88er-- that sounds really good and pretty easy too. I'll add it to the list of things to try. I've another pack of cube steaks in the freezer.

Gail
Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
i had some cubed steak yesterday and made brocooli beef... my steak was smaller cut i got it from a mexican market its called "Picado"
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Wow, some really good ideas here! Have to get some cube steaks at Aldi's when I look for the low carb graham crackers (mentioned in another thread).
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dark Gypsy
Stats: 148/135/129
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2008
"bread" with crushed pork rinds, fry up in a pan with some sliced onions. Make a cream gravey with some cream, chicken flavored bullion and pepper to taste. Thicken with xanthan. Better than any carby chicken fried steak!
Dark Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pspalin
Stats: 6/18/2011 R1P1D43 -38.2/ reload 8/18&19 R2P2
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 09/06/2008(atkins) 07/18/2011(hhcg)
Slow sauté, when done add diced tomatoes with green chilies, drain some of the liquid off and cover with shredded mozzarella cheese.
pspalin is offline   Reply With Quote