Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 1976Pianoman
Stats: 245/240/200
WOE: Ketogenic Diet - max 20g daily
Start Date: June 6, 2012
Splenda and Stevia not sweet enough for fudge

Hello,

I really like KAL brand stevia for Kool-aid. It is by far the best brand of Stevia I have tried. Yet while it is indistinguishable to sugar in Kool-aid, it just doesn't cut it as a sweetener in this fudge I have been making. In fact, Splenda doesn't either. I may have to just live with the unsweet chocolate taste, yet I was wondering if there are other options that are carb free that will help sweeten my fudge up a bit? I know that Zylitol is known for adding a sweet edge to baked goods when used with Splenda, yet Zylitol seems to have carbs doesn't it? As do the other sugar alcohols? If I was on Atkins stage 2 or 3 type dieting maybe I could afford to take on a few extra carbs, yet I am doing a ketogenic type diet, similar to Atkins induction. So I'm restricting to 20 max carbs, 10 of which I am getting in the cheese and or cream products I am eating with my meat and eggs. The chocolate itself has carbs, so this leaves me with no wiggle wrong for more carbs from a sweetener.

The fudge I have been making is made of unsweetened bakers chocolate, water, cream cheese, vanilla and stevia. I was making it with granulated splenda, which was slightly more sweet than the stevia. I found out that the granulated Splenda has malodextrin carbs, so now it's out. As I said I can tough it out and stick with the stevia, but was thinking there might be another option.

Thanks.

Last edited by 1976Pianoman; 06-08-2012 at 08:48 PM..
1976Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links