Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #151
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
Thanks!
I live in western NY near Elmira.
No Trader Joe's in this area.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Best bread ever! Holds up wonderfully! I've made it with almond butter and with making my own almond butter. Love them both. I replace about 1/8 cup of he almond butter with nutella for the kids and they love it - a great high protein breakfast. Thanks!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
If you live in the U.S. you can get it mail ordered or find a Trader Joes. If not (or even if you do live here) you can make your own.

I knew I had caroway seeds somewhere deep in the depths of something, so I dug through every pile of LC items I have. Low and behold I found them, yeah! Now just need to pull all the ingredients out and whiz away!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlet_Belle
Stats: 183.2/176/135 (5'2.5" tall)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov. 23, 2014
Wow Ginaaaaaa, your bread looks incredible! Thanks for the recipe, I may give this a try! I have this jar of almond butter I'm not fond of and no idea what to do with it, but this bread looks perfect.
Scarlet_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
Sam's Club has 3 lb bags of roasted salted almonds for $9.48. Just whirl them in the food processor until fine crumbs. Tip: skip the salt in recipes you use them in. (ask me how I know. lol!)
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
I had hoped to pick up the almond meal today to make this, but it's $10 a pound here, so I won't be making it any time soon!
I try to buy my almonds in bulk and then make my own almond meal and almond butter in the food processor. It tastes so much better too.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
cfine, do you add anything to your almonds to make almond butter? To make peanut butter, I just Vitamix peanuts. But my almonds don't react the same way. They stay crunchy.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sandie0100
Thank you for this, Gina! I just made this and I wish my iPad had a camera! It rose up beautifully. I was able to cut each half into 6 slices using a serrated bread knife. Can't wait to try it tonight. I just started eating wheat free and low carb, so I am so happy to have this recipe!
sandie0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #159
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Soobee I use a vita-mix to make my almond butter too.
Once you get almond flour slowly pour your oil in until you get butter. I just pour but I think it's 1/4 cup to 1/2 of a cup of oil.I prefer homemade almond butter.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Esther, thanks for the instructions. I was starting from almonds, not almond flour. Next time I will try your recipe. Meanwhile, I bought roasted almond butter at Costco. The only ingredients are almonds, and it it a loose pourable butter. No oil added. I wonder why I can't get that result?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #161
Blabbermouth!!!

That's how I start with nuts not flour. I make my flour first then my butter.
Wow good for you at costco. I've never bought pourable almond butter. With no oil huh.
I've bought it from costco before but you had to stir in the oil.
I'm glad you found some you can use.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
I'm wondering, if I use coconut oil for the fat, add a titch of sweetener, add a dash of ginger, and some pineapple flavouring/extract/oil, this might be kinda like King's Hawaiian Bread... that would make for some tasty bread or rolls, when you want a sweeter bread. Will have to try it one of these days, but am busy all week and probably the next with doctor and medical stuff.

Thanks for the recipe! And Barbo, I copied your rye version down to try soon, too. That sounds great, and I dearly love me some rye bread when I cook corned beef, or cabbage with sausages, or mock potato soup with celery seed and caraway seed in it, etc... Yay for rye! I have some of the King Arthur Flour rye bread enhancer left from before, and I don't think 1/2 ts or so of it would really have an impact on the carb count of the rye bread, so may add that when I make it.

Last edited by lene; 09-24-2012 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: spelling gremlins
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
yum,, great idea Lene..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
Thanks. I don't know why it popped into my head, haven't had the King's bread for so long... maybe the photos of this bread just reminded me of it. If anyone else here tries to duplicate it before I get the chance, let us know, 'cause I'm dying to see if it works out.

My other latest craze is wanting to get some of the shirataki noodles to try. If I can squeeze in a trip to the grocery store between doctor and hospital visits, I'll see if I can get some of those.
lene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
I've been making this bread for a while and just stumbled across this thread while searching for possible new ideas for it. I use store-bought almond butter, and it comes out fine (brown, but edible!). I will say it's bland, but that's fine for making a sandwich or slathering with butter or cream cheese...

I tried last night to make a new savory variation by adding garlic sea salt, garlic powder, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese. I was very excited, but, sadly, I think they're still very bland. Apparently, I have to add a LOT of extra ingredients for this bread to take on that flavor. I thought while mixing it up that I'd overdone it with the cheese, but apparently not!

This morning, I made a batch adding sweetener (some Splenda, some Stevia in the Raw), vanilla, and sugar free strawberry preserves. Not bad.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ajastoy
Has anyone tried this with coconut butter instead yet? I know Dana Carpender from her blog has a recipe. Also added a bit of chia and glucomannan for extra hold (for lack of better wording). I think via her blog she tried something similar with almond butter but states the coconut butter one holds up better. This is her recipe.

The first Coconut Butter Bread was quite tasty, but crumbly. The chia and glucomannan add moisture and cohesiveness.

Coconut Butter Bread Mark II

1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup Coconut Butter
7 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons glucomannan

In a custard cup, combine the chia seeds and warm water. Let them sit for half an hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a modest-sized loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, or grease it well, or line it with parchment (I tried this, but found it too cumbersome -- but I know people who do it).

Now combine everything, including the soaked chia seeds and their liquid, in a mixing bowl, and mix very well -- I used an electric mixer for a minute or two. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden, and until a bamboo skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

Tip out on a wire rack to cool. Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.

Assuming 20 slices, each will have: 69 Calories; 6g Fat (72.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1 g usable carb.

NOTES: Chia seeds are popular for sprouting, and not just on Chia Pets. Look for them at your local health food store.

Glucomannan is a finely milled soluble fiber, similar to guar or xanthan. Also available at health food stores. I haven't tried the recipe with guar or xanthan, but I think it likely they'd work just fine.
Ajastoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajastoy View Post
Has anyone tried this with coconut butter instead yet? I know Dana Carpender from her blog has a recipe. Also added a bit of chia and glucomannan for extra hold (for lack of better wording). I think via her blog she tried something similar with almond butter but states the coconut butter one holds up better. This is her recipe.

The first Coconut Butter Bread was quite tasty, but crumbly. The chia and glucomannan add moisture and cohesiveness.

Coconut Butter Bread Mark II

1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup Coconut Butter
7 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons glucomannan

In a custard cup, combine the chia seeds and warm water. Let them sit for half an hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a modest-sized loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, or grease it well, or line it with parchment (I tried this, but found it too cumbersome -- but I know people who do it).

Now combine everything, including the soaked chia seeds and their liquid, in a mixing bowl, and mix very well -- I used an electric mixer for a minute or two. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden, and until a bamboo skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

Tip out on a wire rack to cool. Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.

Assuming 20 slices, each will have: 69 Calories; 6g Fat (72.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1 g usable carb.

NOTES: Chia seeds are popular for sprouting, and not just on Chia Pets. Look for them at your local health food store.

Glucomannan is a finely milled soluble fiber, similar to guar or xanthan. Also available at health food stores. I haven't tried the recipe with guar or xanthan, but I think it likely they'd work just fine.
My coconut butter (make my own) is as hard as a brick. Do you soften it, melt it before using in this recipe?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RVlady
I found Barbo's onion rye version prior to finding this thread. After trying many things to substitute for wheat bread, the onion rye rolls were a fantastic find. A couple of weeks later I found this. As with Barbo's rye rolls, another fabulous recipe.
I have made these a few ways. The first time, I did not pay close attention and just started with the almond flour and salt (and I also add 1/3-1/2 cup of sesame seeds to both breads)
and ran it in the food processor for a minute or so, added the fat, another minute, then the eggs, a little longer, then the vinegar and baking soda and another zap. Great rolls.
After a few batches, I did it without reading the recipe and put everything together except for the baking soda and vinegar and zzzzzzzed it all with the food processor at the same time except for the above being a separate step. I use a combo of bacon grease and butter for the fat ingredients in both the rye and the regular. I have also made it by zapping the almond flour and fat into almond butter. A very slight difference in texture. No matter how I made these they turn out so wonderfully I except to hear a chorus of "Halleluiah" pouring thru my kitchen. Appears to me that you can do no wrong with these rolls. I have been making extras and sharing them with everyone I know who is either, diabetic, trying to give up wheat, low carbing, etc. All have fallen in love with both versions of these. A round of thanks to Lisa, Ginaaaaa and Barbo.

Connie>>scratching her head and marveling and wondering how the miracle of baking soda and vinegar turns almonds and eggs into bread
RVlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #169
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
My coconut butter (make my own) is as hard as a brick. Do you soften it, melt it before using in this recipe?
I made this recipe and confess I didn't like it, though I haven't tried it since it was refrigerated.

I melted my coco butter in the micro first. I burnt up one whole jar when I left the room, so be careful if you do it. Next time I think I'd just put the jar in warm water.
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carbkinky
Stats: 138/159/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2004 rollercoaster
this is great! I have made it twice using cider vinegar cause that is what I had on hand. My non LC DH ADORED it! Best LC bread yet! Gonna try the almond flour version next!!!!
carbkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I made Almond Bread this a.m. but only did 1/2 a batch in my toaster oven and only had mini bundt pans. Each mini loaf I was able to slice into 4 pieces, perfect for a sandwhich.. Next time I will add a bit of sweetener to the recipe. (sorry for large pics, still haven't been able to figure this out)

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13
Grandmother of 8
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
If it is to be, it's up to me
*a little note... I lost this all my weight without one ounce of exercise. I do now swim 3x a week*

mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #172
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Beautiful MMoriss
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Wow those look great!! Never thought to make them in bundt pans.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
MMorris -- which recipe did you use ? Or did you tweak the ingredients ? I made some weeks ago and they were DARK and dry. Maybe I did something wrong.......

Yours look amazing and so much lighter than mine.

Can you share which ingredients you used please ?
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!

I will share the recipe I used only 1/2 of the origanal ingrediants.

Preheat oven 350o

3/4 cup of almond flour/meal
oil
Put flour in processer (I used my bullet) and slowly add oil until well combined and looks creamy.

Add these ingredients next:
2eggs
1/2 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 packages Splenda (which I didn't use but should have)

Blend again. Mixture will be very thin.
I poured mixtured into my small bunt pan and baked for 20 minutes or until golden brown. When done I cut sliced, lengh wise, each mini bunt muffins into 4 slices..

So far I have made a ham, turkey, and provolne sandwich.... later made toast YUM
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #176
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is a recipe I am going to try next it doesn't have almond butter per say but sounds yummy. I am going to subsitute sour cream for the yogurt.
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well with a spoon. Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan (I greased my pan with butter). Even out the top gently with your spoon.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes.

Use a toothpick or knife to double check the bread is cooked all the way through. The toothpick/knife should come out clean and dry when the bread is done.

Let the bread cool completely in the pan. If you remove it from the pan before it's totally cool it might flop.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds good!! I saved it to my recipes to try. Thanks for sharing it!!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

MM they look great!!! Beautiful. I love this bread, texture is right on.

Gina I voted, can you do it more then once?

Last edited by rosethorns; 10-14-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #179
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Thanks MM !! Yep my batter was really thick and dark so I must have read it wrong ;/

I will try it again this week ! Thanks !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
MM they look great!!! Beautiful. I love this bread, texture is right on.

Gina I voted, can you do it more then once?
Wow, thank you so much for voting!! Yes you can vote every day!!